Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

The White Witch never knew what hit her.

silvergoose posted:

Thanks for posting this! I tried some of the Mount Gay extra old a while back (my Dad was at a conference in Barbados and brought a bottle back) and loved it, so I got a bottle for myself. On the other hand, that's basically the only rum I've had other than some Eclipse once, so this will be excellently helpful in figuring out what other types/bottles I might want to get when I'm not filling out my Scotch and bourbon shelf.

Would you say it's a waste to use extra old (and such premiums) on mixed drinks that you've described, or it will be that much better?

Oh and one last question: Dark 'n Stormies? Waste of rum, delicious drink, what do you think? (and if the latter, what sorts of rum would you suggest that are not either Meyers or Goslings?)

Have to say Dark 'n Stormies is a fantastic drink: The key is to add spices to the Ginger beer .... You can use any rum you want if you are going to add your own spice mix. Otherwise you want something old and dark. eg Ron Zacapa. Otherwise you could go for a non-traditional choice and go a white rum of which the best one I've ever had is Oronoco.

But as sacrilegious as it may seem to be to say, the world's best rum actually comes from Australia. Way back before there was an Australian dollar and before Australia used the British Pound as currency, the legal tender in Australia was RUM!

Australia produced "Inner circle rum" which was not sold to the public but was made available by invitation of the management of the "Colonial Sugar Refinery" only. The top quality rum was the "Green dot Director's Special"... The Green dot has set the record for the highest sever score given at the International Wine and Spirit Competition.

Check from the list below: http://www.robsrum.com/Rums.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

Kenning posted:

Yeah Barbancourt and Zaya are definitely on different poles of the rum spectrum. I get why Zaya's so popular, and it's a respectable rum, but I'd probably only buy it on a steep discount because it's a little bit too sweet and too vanilla for me. It's a great thing to use on people who either don't like spirits at all, or who you're trying to wean off of lovely spiced rums. Very affordable for the quality, too.

Also, where do you live? Are you in some state liquor monopoly hell?

The Layover at 15th and Franklin. My buddy was playing a set there. They may have also had some Smith and Cross on the shelf – that's been popping up in some unexpected places as well. Of course if you're in Oakland Smuggler's Cove is just across the Bay. I was there last night and I witnessed a guy ask for "rum on the rocks." The bartender responded that he had over 400 rums, and the dude said, "Whatever you recommend." The bartender ended up giving him their house special reserve, which is a blend of El Dorado rums, but it was pretty funny.

I've heard soooo much good about Green Dot Inner Circle but I guess you just can't find it anywhere, huh? I would be super into trying some.

For Green Dot:

Try here (nicks stock it and do international orders): http://www.nicks.com.au/Product/View/Inner-Circle-Green-Dot-Over-Proof-Rum-(700ml)/474412

or here for a list of other places you can get it: http://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-134959-0000-inner-circle-green-dot-rum-queensland-australia

Chancellors Cellars also stock it and do international orders - but they are overpriced: http://www.wine-searcher.com/merchant/4328?wine_id_F=3706351&from_page_F=WSL

Also note that Green dot was made publicly available in 1970 (anything prior to that date you could buy a house with) and CSR sold Inner Circle in 1986 so anything before 1986 is highly collectable.

Hypation
Jul 11, 2013

Cpt.Wacky posted:

So, how about bottom-shelf rums? My town is pretty much a Bacardi wasteland since privatization but each store has it's own variety of cheap-as-poo poo rum. Under $15 retail (not including insane WA spirits taxes) we've got: Lewis and Clark, Monarch, King's Bay, Potter's, Montego Bay, Barbarosa, Kozi Bay, Trader Vic's, Cruzan, Shellback and Admiral Nelson. I've got the Cruzan Aged and it's not terrible at all so I'll try the Black Strap version soon. But the rest of them seem like a total crapshoot and finding anything on the web about them is hit and miss.

I did find a tribal store about 30 minutes away that carries a better selection so I'm planning to stop there any time I'm passing by: Mount Gay Eclipse, Appleton Estate V/X, Rhum Barbancourt Reserve Special, Pyrat XO and Ron Zacapa 23.

Sadly the local private store had the best selection before privatization but decided not to restock any of it. I got a bottle of Pusser's which I loved but missed out on some others like Angostura.

As some say in Straya .... Bundy on - but then Bundy is almost as expensive as Green Dot- $30-40 per bottle. But watch out for the drop bears.

Bundy works unless your mission is to get teenage girls drunk for which you must use Bacardi.

Rum really isn't cheaper than that over here.

• Locked thread