Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
I keep trying tons of other rums, but keep coming back to El Dorado being my go-to sipper. I read earlier some others were looking for recommendations on what's similar to an El Dorado 12 year, and I'd like to hear any feedback as well. The only other one that's on par, if not slightly better, is the Diplomático Reserva Exclusiva. Oh man, it's an incredibly awesome rum for those that enjoy El Dorado!

Also, if any rums are hard to find at your local store, there's a website you order all this from:
http://www.drinkupny.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Current list of fave Rums:

1. El Dorado 12 year
2. Diplomatico Exclusiva
3. Kirk and Sweeney 23 year

No one has mentioned the Kirk and Sweeney rum brand yet here. They have a few different ones, including a 12 year, which is also great. The 23 year is only $10 more and is well worth the extra cost for its full bold flavors. While not as sweet as the El Dorado style Guyana distilled types, it has an insanely complex flavor that will please any of you all here. Lots of woodsy flavors, deep, and mouthful. I'm not a fan of the Ron Zacapa 23 year, since I believe it falls flat without much going on. The Kirk and Sweeney is quite amazing and worth trying out.

Lost Spritis Distillery has a royal Navy proof rum that's also a delight. It's pretty strong on the alcohol (68%), so it's only for the hardcore here. Super complex and sweet, besides its high ABV%.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

We have some stuff made here in Georgia called Richland Rum that's insanely tasty. I'm not sure if it's available outside the state. Comparable to El Dorado 15 year but with some more complexity and less sweetness. Retails around $50-60/bottle. http://www.richlandrum.com/home.html

If anyone ever wants to do some rum swaps via mail, I'm game! I can also get Smith and Cross and a ton of other stuff here.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

Eldorado 12 Year (red), 15 Year, and the Diplomatico Reserva are literally the best 3 out there for beginners to rum. It's what I think of when, "imagine what rum SHOULD taste like" - dreaming of pirates and poo poo. Plus they are an excellent value for what they are. Where else can you get a badass 12 Year old aged Scotch for $29.99 ?

If your local store doesn't stock it, you can purchase it here https://www.drinkupny.com/Balcones-Rumble-p/s1204.htm

While you check that link, the Balcones Rumble is simply amazing, and quite rare. I'm not really sure if it's technically a rum (it's made virtually the same method), but it's wonderful, sweet, and something special.

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

hakimashou posted:

I've been absolutely unable to find any El Dorado rum where I live, I'm thinking of emailing their distributor for the state to see if anyone carries it.

For anything you can't find at a local shop, this website ships to all states. I've ordered 4-5 times from them with excellent service. They may take a few days to a week+ to ship your order, but they will ship:

https://www.drinkupny.com/El-Dorado-12-p/s0847.htm

They have the 12 yr and 15 yr. They also have a fantastic variety of other rare poo poo you can't find at most local stores. The Balcones whiskeys and Rumble (a rum with honey) is also amazing. One of the best Rum's I've had, although not completely traditional. They have all sorts of weird stuff, including good absinthes too.

Total Wine also has a spiced rum called Siesta Key Rum which is incredibly good for its price. Just ignore the fact it's "spiced", since most spiced rums are total garbage; this one being the exception. Their coconut rum is also quality stuff and worth picking up (real coconut, not artificial) and they only use local Florida molasses and no fake ingredients. I highly recommend these two rums. It's on par with El Dorado 12 year for taste, but different.

• Locked thread