Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

cbirdsong posted:

It's loving cold outside, so I decided to try some hot buttered rum. Ended up making this with El Dorado 5-year, since I didn't want to risk any Smith and Cross on a failed experiment. It came out pretty tasty, but the batter might've drowned out the rum's flavor a bit. I'll have to play with the proportions next time. Does it seem like a reasonable recipe? Any other hot rum drinks I should know about?

Did the batter really prevent the butter from pooling at the top? It seems like the butter would just melt out like it always does, but if not, it would be awesome.

I've been experimenting with emulsifiers in my HBRs, specifically xanthan gum because it's fairly easy to come by and I had it in the kitchen already. It keeps the butter in the drink, but it changes the mouthfeel and will thicken the drink ferociously if you use too much, so the search is ongoing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
One rum that is not solera is El Dorado. Everything in that bottle of 15 is 15 years old. And it shows, IMO, ED is one of the best sippers I've had.

My desert island rum is Smith and Cross, but my desert island three rums are S&C, El Dorado 15 and a good clean silver. (A local option is Maggie's Farm Rum, which is distilled from Demerara and brown sugars. Smooth, light and sweet, perfect in a daiquiri.)

Soeaking of stateside rums, does anyone know anything about Pritchard's Rum? I can't imagine it's that good, but I grew up in TN and I'm just amazed that they make rum there.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

pgroce posted:

Soeaking of stateside rums, does anyone know anything about Pritchard's Rum? I can't imagine it's that good, but I grew up in TN and I'm just amazed that they make rum there.

(Misspellings preserved for posterity.)

Answering my own question. I saw a bottle Prichard's at a local bar and the bartender let me taste it. We both agreed that in a blind test, we would have thought it was bourbon. (Which they make, but this was definitely the rum.) Apparently they're trying to go for a colonial rum in the style that would have been popular in the colonies when the triangle trade was still going on. I don't know if they succeeded, but what they have is...well, like I said, basically a really sweet bourbon. I'm guessing it's aged in new oak barrels, the vanilla is very strong.

It isn't bad. In fact, I might pick some up to make whiskey drinks for my wife (who doesn't drink grain-derived liquor for health reasons) and it compares favorably to, say, Willett Reserve, which is outstanding IMO. But I wouldn't drink it if I wanted rum.

It makes that Stone Fence variation using rye seem a lot more authentic, though.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Late to this, but Lemon Hart has gotten scarce:

quote:

I'm sorry to report that Mosaiq, the Lemon Hart brand owner, has decided not to bottle any more Lemon Hart 151 until at least the middle of 2015. I wish I had the opportunity to buy more and offered to buy 5,000 cases but was turned down. Planning is everything. I'm working on obtaining another overproof rum that will work in many of the cocktails you love.

That was on May 27. Pennsylvania is all out now. How is availability elsewhere in the country?

I think I'd rather have a lime shortage....

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Drank Batavia Arrack for the first time last night. Dang, that's a drinkable spirit.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

spoon0042 posted:

Mount Gay XO seems to be on clearance in PA ($29), get it while the gettin's good.

Thanks for this, I got the last bottle in the store where I went!

Never had it before, it's kind of chocolatey. Bit of a sugar bomb, but that's nice sometimes.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
IIRC, both ED and Diplomatico are Guyana rums from the same distillery. (There only being one large distillery in Guyana.) What comes out of there tends to taste the same.

Not that that's a problem, they're both quite tasty.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

mfcrocker posted:

I imagine the blends will be quite different - they certainly taste quite different.

Sorry, yes. You're correct, of course. I mean the distillate tends to taste the same. Diplomatico añejo doesn't taste exactly like ED 12, but there's a very strong family resemblance.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Drinking down some Appleton Estate somethingorother Reserve that I bought for USS Richmond Punch when a friend accidentally recycled the bottle of Smith and Cross I brought for the purpose. :doh:

It makes a decent Old-Fashioned and goes nicely with both pineapple and ginger beer (and both!), but it's definitely the bottle I'll get when I can't get Smith and Cross.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Punches, drinks with multiple spirits/rums, strong mixers. (Like pineapple juice and ginger beer. :v: )

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Kenning posted:

Nice! That looks awesome.

I was able to turn a friend onto Smith and Cross last night. That's always a delight

I have a batch of Alton Brown's eggnog chilling in the fridge. He uses 1 cup each of cognac, bourbon and Jamaican rum, but my wife doesn't drink grain-derived spirits (celiac, and conservative about it) so I used 1.5 cups each of I don't even know which cognac and S&C.

I think the cognac is rounding things out a little, but man, whenever I sample it it's the hogo that puts a smile on my face.

PSA: Load your nogs with pirate juice. You won't regret it.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Merry Smith and Crossmas!

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Maggie's Farm is indeed the poo poo, and the barrel-aged Queen's Share is the pick of the litter. The white is the tastiest daiquiri rum I've ever had, too.

Also awesome: their Airline Overproof, which is white rum in the maximum quantity and highest proof permitted in US airline carry-ons by the TSA. Screw paying $9/ea for a tiny bottle of Bacardi.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
For a rum bar, you should definitely hit Hidden Harbor. It's a new tiki bar with very knowledgeable staff and a small (so far) but well-curated selection of rums. They're also into Dave Arnold-style craziness. They have a cotton candy machine that they sometimes spin Campari in, for instance. (Their sister beer bar is quite good too.)

Pittsburgh is a pretty good place to drink. Ironically, given how especially hosed up its liquor laws are.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
I say do it. Leblon tastes a little like Wray and Nephew, but milder and with a grassy, mineral thing that reminds me of good tequila. (No agave taste, though.)

I had some this afternoon in some ginger beer with a little lime. Good drink.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Mahler posted:

So I finally got Wray and Nephew overproof white rum. Anyone got some killer cocktails to recommend?

Not to be flip, but a daiquiri is a killer cocktail. :) Some people might find that much Wray and Nephew a bit overwhelming; if you're one of them, you can split the base between W&N and a nice white rum. (I like Maggie's Farm, if you can get it.)

I don't know a lot of cocktails that specifically call for W&N, to be honest. I often sub it partially/completely for "Jamaican rum" in drinks that call for it, particularly if I'm out of Smith and Cross. If that messes up the light rum/dark rum balance, I'll use darker rums elsewhere to compensate. I'll also use it for floats or in small amounts just to add some funk to a drink, much like you would use a peaty scotch.

It isn't a cocktail, but Wray and Nephew is an outstanding rum for making falernum, which is well worth the effort and let's you make a whole pile of additional drinks, the Corn 'N Oil being about the simplest.

That's not exactly what you asked for, but hopefully it gives you some ideas.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
If t doesn't have El Dorado, it is at best Partial Wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Leblon is great cachaça, you should try that if you like the cane-distilled spirits.

• Locked thread