Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Sailor Jerry is tasty, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Zacapa 23 is fine but it doesn't have a ton of character imo. Smooth and sweet but not a lot else going on.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I like Pyrat XO because it has a distinct orange flavor that I find really tasty

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Where the heck do I get that in DC

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Campari cotton candy :vince:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I tried Clement Select Barrel last night, it was good. Not amazing, but good. Sweet at first, grassy and a little funk on the mid, really light finish with a kinda sea-air linger? Could make a great cocktail.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Lol gently caress a dark and stormy, make a Corn and oil http://imbibemagazine.com/corn-n-oil/

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Also Diplomatico is really well priced for the quality

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Diplomatico, plantation 20

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

donkey salami posted:

I went to a big liquor store today and got three plantation rums. 5 year old light. Dark. And light overproofed. Really happy considering the price. 5 year was $22 and others were $15 a piece. Would recommend if looking for good value.

Do you mean OFTD, the Dark overproof? AFAIK the only light rum they make is the 3 stars, which isn't overproof.

The Barbados 5 year is ridiculous for the price. I just wish Plantation would start releasing some drier expressions, everything they make leans to the sweet side. They just purchased the West Indian Rum Distillery on Barbados, which I hope means the 5 year will stick around at that price point. It'll be interesting to see what they do with juice they now control at the source. I also understand that they are about to acquire another distillery in a very different location which I'm super excited about :ssh:

I recently got to try some of the Zacapa Edicion Negra as well, which is really nice. It sits between the 23 and XO in terms of sweetness but has a cool charred smoke flavor.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Kenning posted:

I haven't had this rum in years, but I remember it being good as hell. I need to track down a bottle.

It was super limited release, wasn't it? If you find one let me know.....

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

hakimashou posted:

what are the broad strokes on other similar quality rums? 50ish bucks a bottle, not for mixing.

What is even going to be available to you in the $50 range for rum if El Dorado isnt?

E: Honestly, $50 is kind of an arbitrary price point. You'll find a lot of stuff in the $30-40 range, and then it jumps up into the high end bracket pretty quickly. If Dorado is to your liking, you'll probably also enjoy Zacapa 23, though it's overly sweet and is has a ton of glycerine added to it. Centenario, Pampero and Dilpomatico are also probably good options for you (and all in the $30-40 bracket).

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 15, 2017

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

hakimashou posted:

There are probably 50 different rums at that price point at the local liquor store they have pretty much everything you can imagine except el dorado and it's driving me nuts.

What kind of bizarro liquor store is this

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Picked up a bottle of Gosling's Family Reserve Old Rum. There's no age statement on it, but it's Black Seal rum that has been laid down in barrels for a long time(16-20 years according to some sources). It's really great rum and would go incredibly well with a cigar or as a winter sipper. I don't know of any other black/dark rums that have been aged anywhere near as long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

krustster posted:

Time to necromant this thread. I bought some of this recently and while good, I found it tastes more like a dark rum than an old rum.

Because... It is dark rum?

• Locked thread