Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Breaky posted:

Thanks for making the thread. After trying to get into scotch and bourbons for a while I just cannot. It's never something that sat well with my pallet. I have always had a good enjoyment of Rum and Vodka however and was wanting to try some more actual varieties.
I got into whiskey because it's a family tradition, but I think rum has always suited me best. Until I read this thread I had the impression that rum was divided between low-to-mid-shelf stuff that's good for mixing, and rhum agricole that's expensive and impossible to get in Virginia. Now I want to devote as much of my liquor cabinet to rum as I do to whiskey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

PatMarshall posted:

I remember finding Barbancourt at the ABC when I lived in Williamsburg so it might not be impossible. Maybe they could order it for you (or cross the border to a civilized county in Maryland although definitely not Monty)
Fortunately, although ABC doesn't carry much in the way of fancy rhum agricole, most of the brands that Kenning singled out are available. I thought for a long time that the three categories of rum were "cheap, mid-shelf, expensive and hard-to-get boutique stuff," and now I realize that as with whiskey, there are quite a few quality mid-to-top brands available. I've been told for some time that Pusser's and Flor de Caņa are great, and I can find those without going to the one ABC in town that stocks special-order stuff.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

rxcowboy posted:

You know how a Jaeger bomb is Jaerger in Red Bull?

Myers goes amazingly well in lovely Rip It energy drinks. Especially the pomegranate one.
I can't think of a better way to mix up a Jagerbomb than to replace the taste of both Jager and Red Bull.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
What do the rum experts recommend for a mixing white rum? My handle of Cruzan Aged Light will reach the end of its life soon. I mostly just use white rum to make daiquiris. (By which I mean white rum, lime, and simple syrup.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Kenning posted:

Cruzan is fine, but sort of boring. I usually mix with Flor de Cana 4 year extra dry. Havana Club is supposed to be excellent, but I've never had it since I live in the US and we've got a silly embargo. Some rum enthusiasts recently did a Daiquiri bracket tournament that resulted in Oronoco getting the top spot for the perfect Daiquiri rum, though when I had an Oronoco Daiquiri at Smuggler's it was totally good, but not some outrageous, incredibly perfect drink.
drat, Virginia ABC only carries Flor de Cana in the 4yr gold and 7yr reserve, and Oronoco is available, but at $36 is pricey for the kind of liquor that I expect to wake and find has been totally plundered at last night's party. Maybe I can find the Extra Dry in Pennsylvania this weekend.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Unfortunately, Flor de Caņa Extra Dry isn't available in my state. (I think I could've picked some up at Rehoboth, but I forgot about it--probably because I was dazzled at the opportunity to finally get Rothman & Baird's violet and apricot liqueurs.) My go-to is Cruzan, but what do you think of Appleton White?

Unfortunately, I can't get Coruba, Havana Club, or Smith & Cross, either--another reason to take another vacation, I suppose.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

NIGARS posted:

Coruba is a brand of Jamaican rum owned by the J. Wray & Nephew company. It was developed for the New Zealand market, and was first exported there in 1967. It is distilled from molasses in a combination of pot and column stills, and aged in a solera system for at least two years.

I guess that explains why it's dirt cheap and ubiquitous here, but somewhat unusual to find elsewhere.

Gonna try it in some Planter's Punch tomorrow.
I'm drinking a Planter's made from Coruba right now. I had stopped by the liquor store to get some Irish whiskey for a wedding present and some Herbsaint for an anniversary present, and it was on the import shelf, $21 for a liter bottle.

Edit: I really don't know what to think of this stuff as I'm drinking it with just a bit of ice. It has a sweet, fruity, slightly funky aroma, but the flavour is spicy and medicinal. I'm new to drinking rum straight, but this is really baffling.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 14, 2014

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Maybe if you're a communist.

Whining about the ingredients in an Old Fashioned is the cocktailing equivalent of a fedora and a trenchcoat with white sneakers.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

mfcrocker posted:

Exception: Appleton Estate
At least with rum, that Appleton Estate 21 year is a blind taste-test winner, whereas with whiskey there are so many brands that there's room for plenty of $100 bottles that lose out to $30 ones.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Takes No Damage posted:

Coruba is on my watch list, the OP makes it sound tasty. Guess it's not all that bad, I just got a contact hangover from the sea of Bacardi and Malibu :morning:
I've continued to enjoy it as a mixer, a lot. It pairs well with anything that brings its own sugar.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I toured a rum distillery on St. Lucia. I tasted some very nice stuff and some really awful gimmicky stuff. I don't know if any of you would be familiar with the rums I tasted; none of the brands they produced are carried in my state. I'll post a few pictures when I have the wherewithal.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I can drink 80 proof whiskey without flinching, but when I dared try the Denros Strong Rum it was like kerosene.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I don't want to seem like I'm bragging by comparison, but I just picked up my first bottle of J. Wray & Nephew.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

But Not Tonight posted:

You could try mixing the honey with the liquor before any ice is added to either of those things, it might help.

IME, honey does not mix well with a 40% alcohol solution, although it dissolves in lemon juice well enough (though that's not relevant for an Old Fashioned). Honey syrup is the way to go.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Any opinions on Doorly's in general? I picked up a bottle because, well, actually my wife grabbed it, because there was a macaw on the bottle.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Kenning, what is the most cinnamon punch?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Dune theme parties.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

angor posted:

I needed a solid white rum and being put off by the Flor de Cana nonsense, opted for Cruzan Aged Rum. How did I do?
As a matter of fact, when I don't have Flor de Cana Extra Secco (and I am also disgusted by their practices), Cruzan's my go-to for mixing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
If you can find it, Maine Root GInger Brew is very sweet and very heavy on the ginger.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Bear in mind that there are roughly a thousand liquors that are often said to be made by monks, when they're actually early 20th century reconstructions of what was supposedly a monastic recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
England. It's English rum.

• Locked thread