Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004
ABunch7587's little bitch
I first became a rum fan while on vacation in Jamaica. My family and I were in an Appleton Estate run gift shop. They asked us which we would like to sample, to which we replied, "We don't know." This turned out to be the correct answer, and they poured us each a shot of every single rum they offer.

Ever since then, I've been trying to get whatever I can, but my area has a piss-poor selection. Currently on our liquor shelf are the following: Ron Zacapa, Oronoco, Gosling's, Doorleys, Brugal, Pusser's, Sailor Jerry's, and Kraken.

I like the Oronoco most for mixing, where its strong vanilla notes tend to come through.

I enjoy sipping the Brugal and Zacapa, I find them to be the most smooth of the bunch.

I've been really trying to find some good Rhum Agricole, but that has been really hard to find in VA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004

Mr. Maltose posted:

So, would you consider Kraken to be a lovely rum? It's my rum of choice, but I'm in probably the worst place to build up a collection of good rum samples.

It's a mixer that feels like it brings a lot of alcohol to the table. Not all spiced rums are created equal, and my go-tos are Kraken and Sailor Jerry's. Sailor for flavor, but Kraken for heat.

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004

Kenning posted:

If you haven't tried Pusser's you should give it a shot – it's a Barbados rum but it's got a bit of that funky twang that the best Jamaicans show in spades. Makes a drat good punch. That's not a huge rum selection, but almost all of those are fair-to-excellent rums. It could be worse – this could be your rum shelf.

Oh no, the rums I listed are ones I have on my personal shelf, our liquor stores look just like the one you posted :saddowns:

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004

PatMarshall posted:

I remember finding Barbancourt at the ABC when I lived in Williamsburg so it might not be impossible. Maybe they could order it for you (or cross the border to a civilized county in Maryland although definitely not Monty)

The ABC store out in Williamsburg by New Town is one of the larger ones in the state. They have the best selection and will get in some crazy specialty bottles such as Agwa and St. Elizabeth's Allspice Dram, but they never have as much variety as I would like when it comes to the staple liquor.

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004
If you guys haven't already, get on caskers.com and sign up. Legal Mail Order Liquor? Don't mind if I do.

Just got me a bottle of Dictador 20 yr Solera and Clement 7 yr Rhum Agricole.

Can't wait to crack these bad boys open.

• Locked thread