Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
It's loving cold outside, so I decided to try some hot buttered rum. Ended up making this with El Dorado 5-year, since I didn't want to risk any Smith and Cross on a failed experiment. It came out pretty tasty, but the batter might've drowned out the rum's flavor a bit. I'll have to play with the proportions next time. Does it seem like a reasonable recipe? Any other hot rum drinks I should know about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

pgroce posted:

Did the batter really prevent the butter from pooling at the top? It seems like the butter would just melt out like it always does, but if not, it would be awesome.

A thin layer of spices and butter does form at the top, but it definitely doesn't look as thick or oil slick-y as any of the pictures I see on a Google image search. (Not much HBR experience, as you can see)

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
There was a lot of talk about Oronoco earlier in the thread. Apparently, it's been discontinued?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Smith & Cross is indeed pretty rough for sipping. You should try it in an old fashioned.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
For some reason, the local liquor store had Appleton Estate Reserve for $10 a bottle. What's a good cocktail for this stuff?

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

poliander posted:

Captain Morgan .... If i wasn't a retard i would be able to link an image ... sigh ... But yeah. Cheap rear end entertainment :).

Jeez, you know you could just have a rum and coke with the handy 8oz cans they sell now, and end up consuming less sugar? And once you're there, Captain Morgan is pretty pleasant in a Cuba Libre, if you don't mind paying crazy prices for limes right now.

(Of course, you could also get a nice sipper like Plantation Barbados in roughly the same price range, but you could also stick to sugary cocktails and improve on that.)

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Man, Lemon Hart 151 is something else. Really amazing in a daiquiri.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Solumin posted:

I think I'd like something a little smoother. Does the thread have any recommendations for a beginner with a limited budget? Recommendations for mixers, etc. are also welcome!

Plantation 5 Year and Plantation Original Dark are in the $15-$20 range, and both are pretty tasty sippers. Coruba is also in that range, but I haven't tried it outside of a cocktail. It's great with some ginger beer, though.

Cruzan Black Strap is great and available for as low as $12-$13, but it's more of a cocktail rum than a sipping rum, I think? It's thick and almost syrupy, and would be pretty intense neat or over ice.

Devil Wears Wings posted:

Thankfully rum hasn't gone through a price boom like whiskey, so you can find a ton of REALLY good ones for under $30.

This is absolutely correct. For $30, you can get you a bottle of just about anything mentioned in the OP. I'd definitely recommend splurging on a bottle of Smith and Cross, which is the most unique rum I've tasted.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Cruzan Black Strap is great in a Dark and Stormy.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Stultus Maximus posted:

:catstare:

Old Fashioned uses rye whiskey.

Rum old fashioneds can be pretty delicious, especially when you use Smith and Cross.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Liquor store had Pyrat marked down to $15 for whatever reason, so I grabbed a bottle. It was pretty tasty on the rocks. What are some other delicious things I can do with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I use Cruzan Blackstrap instead of vodka in White Russians.

• Locked thread