Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Kenning posted:

Cruzan is fine, but sort of boring. I usually mix with Flor de Cana 4 year extra dry. Havana Club is supposed to be excellent, but I've never had it since I live in the US and we've got a silly embargo. Some rum enthusiasts recently did a Daiquiri bracket tournament that resulted in Oronoco getting the top spot for the perfect Daiquiri rum, though when I had an Oronoco Daiquiri at Smuggler's it was totally good, but not some outrageous, incredibly perfect drink. My favorite Daiquiri rum is Denizen, which is floral and lightly sweet, with just enough of funk from the Jamaican rums in their blend to add that perfect savor to a classic Daiquiri #1, and especially to a Daiquiri #3 (which is rum, lime, white grapefruit juice, some syrup, and a dash of maraschino).

This is just what I came here looking for, I need a light rum for mixing summer drinks. I can get Flor de Cana 4 year extra dry nearby so it's perfect. I know little about light rums and only slightly more about darks (normally drink Appleton 12 year and need to expand, but the OP covers that). I had a Havana Club Mojito in Paris earlier in the year and it was pretty drat good. I think when I go back to Europe in the fall, I'm going to buy a bottle and just have drinks in the apartment every night until it's empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Made a trip to BevMo and I think I'm ready for the 4th of July.

I liked the Plantation Barbados when I tasted it last night. Had not planned on buying the Cruzan but my supermarket had it on overstock sale for $8 a bottle. The Appleton and Barbancourt 5 star are at various levels of empty, but I'll make due. I have fresh mint in the garden and simple syrup in the fridge. Not gonna try anything complicated mainly daquiris, old fashioneds and maybe mojitos.

If this isn't enough rum, then we'll be drunk enough to dig out the bottles of Bacardi and Sailor Jerry and who really cares at that point.

Made a test daquiri tonight with the Flor de Cana, was very tasty. A little tart so going to have to add more simple syrup or less lime juice.

Also, what's a decent old fashioned recipe? I see some recipes with and orange slice and maraschino cherries, some without so not sure which way to go.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Kenning posted:

That is a beautiful selection of rums, you and your guests are in for a treat.

If you have some 2:1 simple syrup I like an Old Fashioned with 2 oz. liquor, 1 tsp (or so, to taste) of the syrup, 2 dashes of bitters, and a twist. Barbancourt responds particularly well to this treatment. If you have 1:1 syrup use about 1/4 oz. (i.e. 1.5 tsp). If no syrup, use a tsp of sugar and dissolve it with a small splash of water.

Thanks, I'll try the recipe tomorrow. And thanks for this thread. I've always liked rum, but never really knew what to do with all the different rums and what to make. Now I've got a nice selection and have stuff to try. Though I need to slow down on trying different combinations of ingredients or I won't have anything left and will be nursing a hangover by the Fourth.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Capt. Awesome posted:

Yea, Zaya was my first foray into real rums.. I've only ever really had (and hated) Captain Morgans. Zaya was sweet for sure, but I really enjoyed it.

I live in So Cal man.. I figured it'd be easy to go find this, just like it is everything else.. but I can't find it anywhere! I'm gonna keep poking around, I'm sure I'll find it someday.

If you're in the LA area, apparently http://www.beveragewarehouse.com/search/more_info.php?item_id=10281 (West LA) has Smith and Cross. I had been kinda looking for it myself and just saw this today. Sadly it's 30 miles from me and I was just over that way on Monday. Wish I would have seen this earlier. There's also http://www.winehouse.com/product.php?sku=5021692500949&d=LIQUOR (again West LA) and http://www.hitimewine.net/SMITH-and-CROSS-JAMAICA-RUM-750.html (Costa Mesa).

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

I live on the godless, terrifying eastern side of the San Francisco bay area and I can't find much that isn't Bacardi, Captain Morgan or Shellback anywhere. Luckily I know a few places that have Kraken. I know one of you has mentioned a place called Pirates Cove a lot which is San Francisco based. Are there any decent places to buy booze worth a drat on my side of the bay? I live in the Fremont area.

Living with what I've got, though, how is Shellback for mixing or drinking neat/on the rocks? I hate all the cheap Bacardis I've tried and I honestly think lighter rums are better for mixing (less flavor means less clashing flavor). How's Bacardi Oakheart? I've heard incredibly mixed things about it.

EDIT: If you're going to make a rum and coke and have access to Jarritos cola (it's a mexican brand) it is amazing. Throwing in some lime to make it a Cuba Libre is great if you have a rum that takes on citrus very well

Bevmo at 5171 Mowry Ave, Mowry Landing Shopping Center should have a decent selection. My local one is So Cal carries Flor de Caņa, Appleton, Plantation Barbados, Barbancourt 5 Star and many others. Since it's a chain, yours should have a similar selection.

• Locked thread