Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

We asked for rum knowledge and you dropped it on us hard.

I agree that Smith and Cross is incredible, so good in fact that I haven't even dared mix it with anything yet. Do you have a favorite cocktail recipe that uses a funky Jamaician rum?

I've noticed that a lot of tiki recipes will use two or more rums that compliment each other, something that you don't see too often with other base spirits. Are there any particularly successful combinations that just work, or ones that don't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I just mixed up a Clyde River Punch and it's really good. I think I could pretty easily drink a gallon of this and wake up wishing I hadn't. Next party I go to is getting punched...hard.

Also made an old fashioned with Smith and Cross and a couple shakes of Cocktail Kingdom falernum bitters. Not surprisingly the falernum spices really compliment the rum. I think I will start trying out some of the other bitters in my collection to see how they work.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I just ordered Lemon Hart 151 and Batavia Arrack. Gonna make some Swedish Punsch! Do you have a good punsch recipe?

Whenever I use any sort of 151 it just gets floated on top of the drink. Are there other applications where it gets mixed into the drink?

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I bought Smith and Cross at Barkeeper in Los Angeles http://www.barkeepersilverlake.com/ and have also seen it at Total Wine in Sacramento and Hi-time in Costa Mesa. Hi-Time also has $10 shipping if you are in CA, NV or AZ. I'm getting ready to order another bottle, it really is incredible stuff.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I bought a bottle of Lemon Hart 151 yesterday since it seems to be an essential ingredient in tiki recipes, but I found that it also tastes really good on it's own. It packs a punch so I think I'll probably dilute it with a little water or ice it and make an old fashioned. I'm thinking that chocolate mole bitters would go well with it since it already has an after taste that reminds me a lot of sweetened coffee.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Happy National Rum Day everyone! Going to the Laundry Room in Vegas tonight and will be drinking more than my share.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

El Dorado 5 is killer, especially for the price. Whatever you do, just make sure that you get a bottle of Smith and Cross. Actually, buy two because there is no other rum that I've had that can even compare. So stinky and awesome.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I'm thinking of getting a bottle of Lost Spirits Navy Style when I'm at K&L next week. According to this article http://www.examiner.com/article/lost-spirits-navy-style-rum-from-california it's been fermented with banana dunder, pot distilled to 136 proof and finished in sherry casks. Has anyone tasted this stuff before? K&L describes it as a cross between S&C and El Dorado, which sounds pretty good.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I picked up a bottle of Lost Spirits Navy Style rum last week. After testing it neat and in an Old Fashioned I can say that it's unlike any other rum that I've tried, which in this case is a good thing. It's pot distilled to 136 proof using banana dunder and baking grade molasses, which gives it an incredibly rich flavor and aroma, but it sounds like there was also a lot of other crazy poo poo that went on to boost the flavors in every possible way. The Distiller wrote a dissertation for the K&L spirits buyer here that explains what he did. Here is the link if you want to get super geeky: http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2014/2/5/rum-super-geekdom.html

For those who are not ready to read that whole thing, he basically engineered every part of the fermentation, distillation and aging process to maximize the amount of long chain esters, which are the things that make booze taste good.

The first things I noticed are intense vanilla and a molasses aromas that reminds me of a Demerara rum like El Dorado or Lemon Hart. After tasting it I was also reminded of coffee, chocolate, apricot and baking spices, which become more apparent when you add a little bit of water. Despite being 136 proof it is surprisingly drinkable right out of the bottle, but I do enjoy it more slightly diluted.

While it stands on its own as a very good rum, I think that it would be especially attractive to whisky drinkers because it shares a lot of the same complexities that you may find in a single malt.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

It is very, very good. I've heard it described as El Dorado meets Smith+Cross, and I think that it is a good comparison, but it definitely falls more on the El Dorado side because it lacks the serious sulfurous funk that Smith+Cross has. I imagine that you would especially enjoy it since you have a lot of knowledge about different styles of rum, and this one kind of breaks all of the rules.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Lost Spirits recently released a 'Polynesian inspired' rum with the same mash bill as the Navy Style, but engineered to be light and fruity. Details are here: http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2014/5/7/more-poly-rum-info.html

The Navy Style is incredibly deep and rich, so I'm curious what the results will be when they tweak the process to make something lighter.

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

I bought a bottle of the Lost Spirits Polynesian rum today. It's cask strength and made with banana dunder and baking molasses like their Navy Style rum, but aged in Riesling seasoned oak barrels instead of sherry seasoned ones. The difference between the two is obvious before you even open the bottle as the Polynesian is much lighter than the Navy Style, which is almost black. First thing I think of when tasting the Polynesian is light brown sugar, maple syrup and freshly cut grass like you would get from an Agricole. Also some hints of guava or some other delicate tropical fruit. Intensity of the flavors and aromas is off the chart and the mouthfeel is thick and smooth. Surprisingly smooth in the mouth for being 132 proof, but not quite as smooth as the Navy Style. I've read that it was engineered to be served on ice or mixed, but I haven't had a chance to try it that way yet.

Overall I think it's definitely worth the money and a fun contrast to the Navy Style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

So it turns out that the Polynesian rum is really good over a big cube in an Old Fashioned with a couple dashes of falernum bitters, a splash of Demerara syrup and an orange twist. Letting it melt for a few minutes slightly reduces the proof a bit and smooths out the whole experience. Looking forward to the release of the Cuban overproof that they will debut at Tales of the Cocktail.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread