Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smn
Feb 15, 2005
tutkalla
Just finished a bottle of Caroni 1998. A closed distillery from Trinidad with apparently still some barrels around. drat great rum, I find myself lacking in rum vocabulary but this worked just in the right way with me. Sweet but not too much, deep flavours balanced by a smooth mouthfeel. Not too much barrel influence and no overwhelming flavours, a nicely balanced thingy. At around 50€ from the local government monopoly, I think this was a good deal and I'll probably get another bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smn
Feb 15, 2005
tutkalla
Won a bottle of Brugal 1888 today. Thick and sweet, but very nice indeed!

Another thing, is Pyrat XO spiced? I had some in a Docklands bar last weekend, very very sweet and citrusy, up to the point where I don't think it can be a natural maturation anymore, but the bartender was adamant it wasn't a spiced one.

smn
Feb 15, 2005
tutkalla
Anyone else tasted the New Grove rum from Mauritius?

I had their 'Oak Aged' a while back and it was a very positive surprise. Young, slightly rough on the edges but very very nice berries @ spice in it. Fairly cheap too so massive value. I'm curious to know if their other rums stand up to the quality but haven't been able to find them anywhere.

smn
Feb 15, 2005
tutkalla
The government monopoly in Finland just started listing spirits data on their web pages. The data on sugar is interesting, I had no clue there is so much sugar in Eldorado 12.

Sugar content (this means added post-distillation sweetening, as no sugars survive distillation) in some popular rums:

Zacapa 23 - 20 grams / litre
Eldorado 12 - 45 grams / litre
Havana Club 7 yo - 6 grams / litre
Brugal 1888 - 4 grams / litre
St James Heritage - none
Captain Morgan - none
Bacardi 8yo - 20 grams / litre
Agnostura 1824 - 17 grams / litre
Matusalem Solera 15 - 5 grams / litre
Various Plantation rums - 18-25 grams per litre
Various Bristol Spirits rums - 0-1 grams per litre
Sailor Jerry - none (listed under 'spiced spirits' instead of rum)

I confess it's a while since my last El Dorado 12, but that is stupidly much sugar compared to anything else and I don't recollect it being outrageously sweet (like those Plantations definitely are).

smn
Feb 15, 2005
tutkalla

Kenning posted:

Oh man, I hope you can sometimes like, go to Sweden or Denmark or wherever it is that people in the Baltic region go to get booze. Based on that list, I'd recommend Old Pascas Dark Rum or Stroh.

I also have to live with the Finnish nonopoly selection. Problem here is that almost all the "premium" rums are sugared heavily. Zacapa 23 is probably the best deal of that lot.

Personally, I've settled for Huracan, Barra Oak Bay and Sailor Jerry spiced for the best deals around. Not too expensive, not sugared and not vile. The 'spiced' thing with Sailor Jerry was scary initially but I've found the spicing subtle enough to be enjoyable.

Old Pascas is pretty awful to be honest, I bought a bottle once and never again. It has the 'cheap low-quality distilled spirit' taste in it.

• Locked thread