Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
We did a blind taste with the following:
- Zaya 12
- Mount Gay 1703
- Mount Gay Black Barrel
- Pusser's
- St. Theresa 1796
- El Dorado 12

Zaya barely won, but almost everyone knew which one Mount Gay 1703 was because it just tasted so balanced. Zaya won because there were a number of folks who weren't into spirits so they appreciated the chewy caramel/vanilla flavors of Zaya. St. Theresa was the worst, and I definitely wouldn't recommend it for the price tag. The whiskey drinkers in the group preferred Pusser's.

All in all we didn't really have a theme for the tasting and we left out some interesting ones that I'd love to blind taste later but it was a good time and we finished off with a bunch of different dark & stormies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

Unfortunately it's a bit late in the season for this drink, but this is what I had a ton of this summer:

Henry 'Box' Brown from Hop Sing Laundromat in Philly (made at home since I'm in CA)
- 3oz fresh squeezed red grape juice
- 2oz El Dorado 15
- Big rear end ice cube

The only problem is that you have to use a lot of grapes to get 3oz. Totally worth it though.

Now that it's getting a bit harder to get good red grapes I'm moving to the Smith and Cross Old Fashioned (using Angostura Orange bitters and demerara sugar).

Kenning, any idea what I could do with Hazelnut Rum?

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

Kenning, have you tried K&L's St. Lucian Faultline rum? Just bought a bottle because I love giving all of their special stuff a whirl. Thought it was quite a nice sipper, but didn't love it in a Dark & Stormy. Going to Daquiri it up this weekend to see how it does since it was quite sweet.

I was down in San Diego last weekend at Ballast Point and had their Barleywine aged in their Three Sheets rum barrels. Really enjoyed it. Can't wait until they open up spirits tastings at the brewery.

• Locked thread