Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
So, how about bottom-shelf rums? My town is pretty much a Bacardi wasteland since privatization but each store has it's own variety of cheap-as-poo poo rum. Under $15 retail (not including insane WA spirits taxes) we've got: Lewis and Clark, Monarch, King's Bay, Potter's, Montego Bay, Barbarosa, Kozi Bay, Trader Vic's, Cruzan, Shellback and Admiral Nelson. I've got the Cruzan Aged and it's not terrible at all so I'll try the Black Strap version soon. But the rest of them seem like a total crapshoot and finding anything on the web about them is hit and miss.

I did find a tribal store about 30 minutes away that carries a better selection so I'm planning to stop there any time I'm passing by: Mount Gay Eclipse, Appleton Estate V/X, Rhum Barbancourt Reserve Special, Pyrat XO and Ron Zacapa 23.

Sadly the local private store had the best selection before privatization but decided not to restock any of it. I got a bottle of Pusser's which I loved but missed out on some others like Angostura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

slingshot effect posted:

I've got a bottle of Pussers here that's been gathering dust for five years; I don't really know what to do with it though. I don't want to open it and then be unable to drink it.

Pusser's is wonderful, just try it. I don't remember it being very sweet and I got a lot of date and raisin from it.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Elrond Hubbard posted:

Hi rum connoisseurs! I recently purchased a bottle of Pussers, and enjoyed the hell out of it both neat, and in Dark and Stormies. Can you recommend me another, more flavourful rum? Previously, I've only really drunk Bundaberg, which is essentially lighter fluid when compared to the Pussers.

Gosling Black Seal is the official rum for Dark and Stormies but any dark rum is going to have more intense flavor than Pusser's (which I love). Kraken is a little sweeter, Captain Morgan Black has more oak. Cruzan Black Strap doesn't quite work for me neat but mixes well enough. These are reasonably cheap and widespread dark rums. You can check the OP for more recommendations of higher-end and somewhat harder to locate stuff.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

The Gate posted:

So, I managed to find some Rhum Barbancourt 5 Star at my local ABC store lately (if you live in NC, they have it in promo boxes with a glass right now for about $25). I'm trying to develop a taste for spirits, but I'm basically clueless about making actual decent drinks. If anyone's got a good, simple recipe for an Old Fashioned that would rock, or any other drinks that would work well with 5 Star.

http://oldfashioned101.com/

Simple syrup to taste, I usually put in just enough to coat the bottom of the glass. 3-5 drops of bitters and some rum. Add a twist of lemon or orange if you like.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Captain Morgan's Black Spiced Rum has started popping up on some liquor stores out here. I'm not keen on throwing $55 a bottle having never tasted it when I could just Kraken which I know I enjoy for around the same price - how does it compare?

It has a decent charred oak component but otherwise I didn't feel like it was worth the premium over Kraken. If it's the same price as Kraken for you then give it a shot. Around here it's $15-20 more.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Above Our Own posted:

Maybe I should ask in the cocktail thread instead, but what's the trick to a good old fashioned? Every one I've mixed feels off.

http://oldfashioned101.com/

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Above Our Own posted:

Thank you, I can compute these units

I find the bitters shakers really inconsistent and count the drops instead, usually 3.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Kenning posted:

3 drops of bitters is like nothing. If you need to measure, use something like 1/4 tsp at least.

Well, tastes vary. I go by the oldfashioned101.com saying a dash is arbitrary but 1 dash = 3 drops, and to add one or more dashes. 3 drops works for me and I feel like 1/4 tsp would be way too much, but I'll give it a try tonight for the hell of it. If anything I should be measuring the spirits and sugar more accurately but I just do it by eye and it comes out about the same each time.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Pusser's is still made in the same 200 year old wooden pot stills that the Royal Navy used too.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Anyone tried Maui Dark Rum?

I was quite surprised to see something new and different in the spirits desert of rural Washington:

From what I can tell it's made from Maui sugarcane molasses. They also have a neat bottle reuse system in Hawaii since the cost of shipping in new glass is so high.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Anyone tried Maui Dark Rum?

I was quite surprised to see something new and different in the spirits desert of rural Washington:

From what I can tell it's made from Maui sugarcane molasses. They also have a neat bottle reuse system in Hawaii since the cost of shipping in new glass is so high.

I picked this up tonight as I wanted to try it out before gifting it. Just sipping neat I find it similar to Kraken with a bit less sweetness and a bit more char. It definitely doesn't have that molasses smell of Cruzan Blackstrap which I found a little unpleasant. Apparently the maker intended it to be used in rum-based cocktails. It is a bit more aggressive than Kraken although a splash of water helps.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I looked at a couple stores in the Seattle area and couldn't find Smith and Cross anywhere. Is there a decent place to order online that will ship to Washington?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
How do you like that Cruzan Single Barrel compared to their other offerings? My latest bottle was the Cruzan 151 and it reminds me quite a bit of scotch.

I don't know why I never thought of it before but I stopped in my local liquor store and asked about special ordering stuff. Gave her my name, number and the three I was looking for (Smith and Cross, El Dorado and that Lost Spirits stuff). It's been the better part of a week and no call back yet though. :smith:

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Spotted Mount Gay XO at Costco for $35. Considering that includes WA taxes it seems worth getting.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

Just went AWOL from work for 45 minutes go grab a bottle of each, as well as a Barbancourt 4yr. The big things recommended by the thread that I'm not seeing at this store are Coruba and Smith & Cross. I've definitely got my eye out for S&C at any other box stores I go to, but no luck so far. I seem to gravitate towards the darker more heavily spiced rums like Kraken, but that's probably just because it has a heavy enough flavor to bash through Coke so I can still taste it. In more delicately mixed drinks like D&S and (rum) Old Fashioned I'm sure more subtle flavors will be more apparent.

I still like Kraken for the price. Along the same line you may want to try Cruzan Blackstrap and Goslings Black Seal. Goslings is the official rum for "Dark N Stormy" (tm) to the point that they trademarked the name and recipe. I don't think it's worth the price though. Another one I found locally that's quite nice for mixing is Maui Dark Rum from Haleakala Distillers in Hawaii.

J Wray, Lemon Hart and Smith and Cross are all on my "to buy" list along with the stuff from Lost Spirits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

The store I go to has a lot of Cruzan, but as a Cuban style rum like Flor de Cana isn't it more on the whiskey-y side? I saw several bottles bragging about being barrel aged and the color looks pretty similar. Nothing against the stuff, but so far I've much preferred the spiced/Caribbean varieties.

Cruzan Aged and 151 have more of the whiskey/wood profile. But the Black Strap is definitely in line with Kraken, Goslings and other dark spiced rum styles. That shorter bottle of Cruzan in the picture with the oval label looks like the old style bottle and label of Black Strap.

• Locked thread