Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

Glottis posted:

I grabbed some Smith and Cross based on your recommendation, and you weren't kidding. I've never had anything like this before and it's awesome.

I've been trying to find this pretty much since this thread started, and haven't been able to find it anywhere!

In other rum news, I picked up a bottle of Barbancourt 5 Star. It's pretty awesome tasting, you can definitely get the brown sugary/molasses taste out of it. It starts out a little hot, then smooths out with all of these wonderfully rich flavors of sugar and oak. It finishes very dry though, and ends up coming off as a little harsh because of it.

I probably would have enjoyed drinking it neat, but I probably ruined that by finishing a bottle of Zaya not too long ago. Kenning wasn't kidding though, it really does make a fantastic old-fashioned. I've been adding the juice of 1/2 lime to mine, and it's basically perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

Kenning posted:

Yeah Barbancourt and Zaya are definitely on different poles of the rum spectrum. I get why Zaya's so popular, and it's a respectable rum, but I'd probably only buy it on a steep discount because it's a little bit too sweet and too vanilla for me. It's a great thing to use on people who either don't like spirits at all, or who you're trying to wean off of lovely spiced rums. Very affordable for the quality, too.

Also, where do you live? Are you in some state liquor monopoly hell?

Yea, Zaya was my first foray into real rums.. I've only ever really had (and hated) Captain Morgans. Zaya was sweet for sure, but I really enjoyed it.

I live in So Cal man.. I figured it'd be easy to go find this, just like it is everything else.. but I can't find it anywhere! I'm gonna keep poking around, I'm sure I'll find it someday.

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

mich posted:

I have a bunch of Captain Morgan's original spiced rum. I drink just nicer stuff so it's been sitting there forever and I want to use it up finally. Suggestions? Egg nog maybe?

I'm in the same boat. I made a few rum & cokes to knock it down some, but that gets old fast. I think I may just have a party soon, and make some terrible punch with it and all the other poo poo booze people pawn off on me!

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!
I picked up a bottle of Ballast Points Three Sheets rum the other day.. $20 for a 750ml. Having not really tried any white rums beyond the random bacardi mixed nonsense you get at bars, I have to say this stuff is really pretty good.

Tried it straight first, and it was good enough to just enjoy as is. Light and fruity smelling, and it carries over into it's taste. Light, sweet, little bits of fruit flavor, and then rounds out nicely with some alcohol burn. An ice cube mellows it all out. Not having much on hand the other night, I decided to whip up a rum old fashioned.. a favorite of mine when using a dark rum. Sugar, dash or two of orange bitters, a few dashes of angostura, and good to go. Different for sure. Not as good as one made with a dark rum, or a really solid Rye Whiskey, but still tasty enough that I made a second one.

Picked up some limes from the store today, and made an old school daquiri. Lime, sugar, rum. Beautiful. This rum was made for this I think. It's almost too good, and too easy to drink.

I'm a little sad I waited so long to try a white rum. I'm thinking when I finish this, probably tomorrow at the rate these are going down, I think I'll pick up the highly rated, and ridiculously cheap, Flor de Cana white, and see how it compares.

Regardless, if you see this stuff, give it a shot. It really is a great rum, plus I'm happy to support a local company.

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

Viperix posted:

I'm now up to 5 bottles of rum in my collection and I have you assholes to thank for that. I was happy in my Captain Morgan ignorance. :colbert: (I kid, this threads been a great help; I love that I'm finally branching out when it comes to liquor.)

Seriously though. Between this, the whiskey, and the cocktail thread, I'm bordering on full blown alcoholism. Thanks a lot assholes! At least I'm getting there in style!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!
Still no S+C to be found for me around San Diego county. So disappointing. I'll likely just break down and place an order from Hi Times or something, and pay the premium for shipping.. I really want to try it!

In other Rum chat, Zaya is way too delicious for me to have with any regularity. Between sipping on it neat, making Rum Old Fashioned's, or Planters Punch, I plowed through a bottle in a weekend without even trying to be a drunk rear end. They just go down way to easily.

I picked up a bottle of Oak Aged Three Sheets Rum, from local distillery/brewery Ballast Point, today. The plain Three Sheets rum is fantastic for what it is, and this just steps it up a notch. Nice subtle hints of the oak it was in, a little vanilla, a touch of sweetness, but enough burn to make you still feel like you're drinking some booze. I made an old fashioned out of it just now, and its a thing of beauty. While it's not too expensive at $30 for a bottle, I'd probably be happier if it was somewhere closer to $20. I think I'll explore some of the other options at the same price point, once this bottle is done, and see how it fairs.

Having spent so much time drinking whiskies over the last few months, I think it's time I switched it up, and moved back to Rums for awhile. So tasty, and perfect for the beautiful weather we've been having.

• Locked thread