Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

I've been messing with this at work.

Nueva York Sour

2oz Ron De Barrilito (also good with El Dorado 5, probably Flor De Cana gold or 7 as well!)
.75 lemon
.75 simple syrup
egg white
float of red wine
ango line
coupe

If you've never done an egg white cocktail, you need to shake the ingredients dry for a bit to emulsify the egg before adding ice. You get a really gorgeous head that you can draw little lines with the bitters across. float the red wine by pouring it over the back of a spoon to create a layered look. Use a nice wine, something a little fruity but bold if you can. This cocktail comes out looking stunning but is also surprisingly complex. The tannins in the wine round out the cocktail and bring out some of the weirder notes in the rum. I haven't nailed down the perfect rum yet but I was initially inspired by doing some shots of Barrilito with a party of Puerto Rican chefs the other day. The Barrilito has very prominent woody notes and they said "it's closer to whiskey" so that combined with the Boricua pride celebrations in my hood on sunday brought me to this new york sour variation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

It's Diageo's competitor to bacardi. Enough said.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I toured a rum distillery on St. Lucia. I tasted some very nice stuff and some really awful gimmicky stuff. I don't know if any of you would be familiar with the rums I tasted; none of the brands they produced are carried in my state. I'll post a few pictures when I have the wherewithal.

Chairman's Reserve is a nice one, and we carry their spiced as well although it's a bizarre spice profile. Tastes like bubblegum, for some reason. The only other St Lucian I've had is Ed Hamilton's Ministry of Rum St Lucian ( an independant bottling type situation) which is mind-blowingly good if you can find it anywhere.http://www.shakestir.com/features/id/658/new-booze-the-ministry-of-rum-collection

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

DisDisDis posted:

Can you goons recommend me a good starting rum? The only rum worth mentioning that I've had before is Lamb's Navy, which I like to mix with ginger ale or chai. I'd like to try my hand at sipping spirits but I have a feeling I'll end up mixing most of the time. Kind of tempted to go for Smith & Cross because every post about it makes it sound like nectar from the scurvy pirate gods but maybe I should save it for farther along my rum journey I dunno.

It's hard to say because rum is such a diverse spirit. If you have a nice bar in your area, try out a few there and see what you like before buying. Smith and Cross is loving amazing but it is NOT rum 101. Some broad categories with selections I like:

Light, bright, and clear (more for mixing but could be good to ease into things)
Flor De Cana 4
Banks 5 Island Rum

Aged, light, whiskeylike
Scarlet Ibis
Angostura 1919
El Dorado 5 or 8
Flor De Cana 7
Appleton VX

Heavy, sweet, molasses and spice (my personal favorite style, but so many people have gotten hosed up on garbage rum in college that 'sweet' rum is a harder sell sometimes)
Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva
El Dorado 12 or 15

Pirate Juice (as Dave Wondrich calls it) Funky, high proof, kick to the head deliciousness
Smith and Cross
Hamilton Jamaica Pot Still or St Lucia Pot Still

Rhum Agricole (funky, grassy, earthy, intense)
Rhum JM Blanc
La Favorite Coeur De Canne
Clement Canne Bleue
St George Rhum Agricole

there are aged agricoles but on the whole I feel like they all deaden the essential agricole-ness and I don't recommend trying them before you acquaint yourself with agricole in general.

Cachaca is also a great cane spirit that can be delicious and the aged versions tend to be good as well. Just be sure to avoid cheap cachaca, unlike rum it's awful without exception.
Novo Fogo or Avua are great brands and I recommend any of their products.

Let us know what you end up finding, I'm always interested to hear what appeals to rum newbies and what doesn't since the rabbithole can get deep.

angor posted:

Smith and Cross is awesome, but I don't think I could sip it (is it even made for that?)

Yes, you can sip it. Once you get deep into spirits, stuff at 80 proof starts to taste watered down. Whether it's whiskey, rum, or whatever else, the higher the proof, the better. Maybe 151 is a little too hot but Smith and cross neat tastes real good at the end of a shift.

swimming anime fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 10, 2015

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

Stevie Lee posted:

Anyone ever heard of Providencia? I'm thinking of ordering a bottle for the gently caress of it since I can't find any info about it besides this: http://www.mayfairbrands.com/Providencia-rum.htm

Rando rum from some nobody brand is never a good idea. Keep in mind that they are not distilling this. They are buying barrels from whoever and blending it with presumably little skill. Probably cheap lovely barrels that the distilleries want to get rid of. It could be good, but it won't be great, and you won't be getting a good deal. I could be wrong but that site just gives me bad vibes.

• Locked thread