Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

This is a really good OP and an interesting thread.

I've been developing my liquor palate for YEARS and rum is my last great frontier. I felt so uneducated about rums before today. SomethingAwful is so great for learning new things.

As a resident of New England I know some Irish folks that take their Dark & Stormies pretty seriously. (I've even heard claims that the D&S was invented in Newport, Rhode Island, which is crazy.) Anyway, the 'correct' way to make a dark & stormy is to start with your bed of ice in a highball glass, pour in your dark rum (Goslings ONLY!), and then carefully pour about 3x as much ginger beer over the rum. Garnish with a twist of lime if you like.

If done correctly you'll have a layered effect, which when sipped allows you to enjoy the ginger beer, then the mix of ginger beer and rum, and finally finish with a well-chilled, well-watered rum shot. It's important to have good quality ginger beer for the recipe, but I'm not sure if they make it cheap. Note that ginger beer isn't ginger ale though!

I find it a good way to enjoy mid-grade dark rums, and it's an excellent casual cocktail in the summer...refreshing, cold, and not too complex. However, I'm generally sticking to Goslings or Meyer's dark for this...not really hitting the top shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Speaking of, have you tried the Thomas Tew rum the Newport Storm people distill?

Personally, I've only heard legends of Thomas Tew. Some coworkers took a vacation in Newport last summer and the Newport Storm brewery tour was one of the highlights of their trip.

In any case, they like it.

• Locked thread