Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Thanks for posting this! I tried some of the Mount Gay extra old a while back (my Dad was at a conference in Barbados and brought a bottle back) and loved it, so I got a bottle for myself. On the other hand, that's basically the only rum I've had other than some Eclipse once, so this will be excellently helpful in figuring out what other types/bottles I might want to get when I'm not filling out my Scotch and bourbon shelf.

Would you say it's a waste to use extra old (and such premiums) on mixed drinks that you've described, or it will be that much better?

Oh and one last question: Dark 'n Stormies? Waste of rum, delicious drink, what do you think? (and if the latter, what sorts of rum would you suggest that are not either Meyers or Goslings?)

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Welp, the vacation rental we go to to play board games every year had about a third of a big jug of Goslings. So, instead of going out and finding a different dark rum for the War of the Ring Dark n Stormies, I just used that. I used about 2 oz of rum for an 12 oz ginger beer, and people said it worked perfectly for them. Is that a reasonable mixing ratio? I personally thought the rum was a tiny bit light, but of course my friends tend to like the taste of the ginger beer to shine, so I wasn't 100% sure.

Went over well, so really I'm not asking too much of a question, more wondering what people usually do.

It's the Reed's extra ginger brew, as an aside.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Kenning posted:

Gosling's is canonical in Dark and Stormies, so no harm there. The typical ratio for long drinks (a class of which the Dark and Stormy is a member) is 2 oz. spirit, 6 oz. soda. I always squeeze in a bit of lime as well.

Ah, good to know. Yeah, I knew about the canonical part, just wasn't sure on the ratio. Sounds like I should up the rum for, at least, mine.

Long drinks, eh? What else are long drinks? Anything fun in the rumspace?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Neat! I think of those (obviously having had G&T's) I'll try the Caribeno next; coconut water is big in my house. Thanks!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Literally made this up because it was what was on hand, and I'm curious a. if it exists with a name and b. what ratios you'd think works.

White rum
Pineapple juice
Pear nectar
Slice of white peach

Basically, very light fruity stuff, my wife definitely prefers things on that end. Too much fruit conflicting with eachother? What do you think? For reference, she had a 1-2-3 ratio and I had a 2-2-3. I think it's a little weak rum-wise.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Kenning posted:

He's right though.

Anything for me? I basically know nothing about mixing rum other than D&S.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Kenning posted:

I was joking, he's a total maroon. As for mixing, what do you have/like? There are a number of different choices, depending on whether you like nice dark, funky Jamaicans or light, crisp Cuban-style rums, or rich, floral Barbados/Trinidadian stuff.

Have: Cuban-style white rum, pineapple juice, can acquire various Goya nectars and potentially others, as well as any regular fruit juice or lemon, lime, other actual fruit
Like: Again, this is primarily for the wife, she greatly enjoyed (for example) pear nectar, pineapple juice, white rum in rough ratios of lots, some, little, shaken with ice, strained

Note that I don't necessarily want to *mask* the rum, just make it so it is designed as a fruity light drink, for sure.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Wow sweet, next time I'm in Berkeley visiting the in-laws I'm definitely checking Ledger's out.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Herr Tog posted:

So I need a recommendation for a lovely rum for a prank.

I mean, bottom shelf bacardi? :shrug:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

:catstare:

Old Fashioned uses rye whiskey.

You can old fashioned rum too. Or bourbon.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

cbirdsong posted:

Rum old fashioneds can be pretty delicious, especially when you use Smith and Cross.

Finally, finally did this. Got the bottle in the summer, have been fantastically bad at actually drinking anything other than martinis the past couple months.

Delicious! The rum alone was a little too much, so adding in the sugar and bitters makes it into a really funky but very drinkable cocktail. Yum.

What else should I make with Smith and Cross?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Kenning posted:

Make a Clyde River Punch! It'll treat you right.

Just tried this! Happened to have lime and lemon lying around, so why not.

It's really good! First thoughts (as a note, didn't have fresh nutmeg sadly): Almost hard to tell the rum is in there! Whole lot of other stuff. Does it need quite that much water? Maybe my ice melted a bit much?

After a few very careful sips, yes, can tell the rum is in there, it's really really tasty. I could well imagine a large bowl of this just getting demolished at a party.

Probably better for not-winter, but no matter; very delicious, thanks for the rec!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Kenning posted:

Punch is different than a cocktail, it's not supposed to have a bit spirit kick. The water could be scaled back a bit if you like, but not too much. Glad you enjoyed it!

Naturally! This is the first punch I've had, really; friends much more into wine and beer, party-wise.

Neat. If I tried making it with, say, a different rum, what would I be on the lookout for regarding taste? How does the individual spirit change how the punch tastes?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Friend was over and needed some booze, so she took some Tradewinds green tea (basically arizona but better tasting) and added some rum, which unbeknownst to her was the S&C. I had a sip, it actually tasted kinda good, way better than the green tea is usually. :v:

That is *not* a suggestion, by the way. Just an observation that green "tea" with honey makes a good thing to mix S&C into as well. There's probably real things that are kinda like that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Welp, this thread is dead :rip:

Kinda is, yeah. Ask in the main cocktail thread?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah do it, $30 is about right or maybe a little pricey but it's totally worth it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I'm gonna bump this thread because I had a smith n cross + reeds extra ginger brew for my birthday and it's still the best dark and stormy.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Happy birthday.

Thanks. :3:

I still haven't really hit my stride with rum like I did with whiskey and gin; just sip mt gay xo every once in a while and toss smith and cross into ginger beer or an old fashioned but hey, it's been good to me.

...man, smith and cross hits hard.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Don't get whaler rum.

Smells great, tastes like nothing, who knows if it's even aged.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

...just had a cryptic clue (just the wordplay, no definition)

Before Jamaican rum, you'll find it on the floor.

MATRON

Yeah this was my learning that yes, rum is actually ron in spanish speaking places.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

angor posted:

Where do you live? Angostura 1919 is my go to for this recommendation. It's £20 in the UK but I've only seen it for $50 or so in the US.

Isn't that the one that recently was shown to be "eh we'll just bottle any ol rum and pretend it's cool"?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Been a while, forgot how good mount gay extra old can be neat. Just slowly sipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Reed's Extra Ginger Brew is my go to, usually.

• Locked thread