Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION

bunnyofdoom posted:

Or them pulling them up against you?

Remind me again who was the troll who put me on ignore(Not saying it was you, just remembering this thread)

lol, that was *~100% TRUE COMMUNIST~* Throwdini, who I wasted a stupid amount of time trying to explain a more realistic approach to moving forward federal leftist politics to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME APOLOGIST HAS LOGGED ON

Dr. Witherbone posted:

lol, that was *~100% TRUE COMMUNIST~* Throwdini, who I wasted a stupid amount of time trying to explain a more realistic approach to moving forward federal leftist politics to.

Oh right. The guy who took one politics class in university.

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Oh right. The guy who took one politics class in university.

You just made that up to satisfy yourself. You don't know anything about me, dick.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Wow, I took 12 politics courses in university and all it's made me is unemployable.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

So, how many University political science course have you taken? I only took one myself, but it was a disaster because the professor was a rank beginner and never around. Honestly, the philosophy courses were much more useful for understanding politics.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Dolash posted:

So, how many University political science course have you taken? I only took one myself, but it was a disaster because the professor was a rank beginner and never around. Honestly, the philosophy courses were much more useful for understanding politics.

That's kind of what I did which I felt gave me a better understanding of things, plus was more interesting. A polisci-philosophy major/minor. Completely unemployable right out of school, but hopefully a Master's will shore that up (please god).

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

MagicCube posted:

That's kind of what I did which I felt gave me a better understanding of things, plus was more interesting. A polisci-philosophy major/minor. Completely unemployable right out of school, but hopefully a Master's will shore that up (please god).

My experience with arts was that it isn't what degrees you have, but what you do with them. People with just a bachelors but who got out there and got involved, networked, volunteered, applied to every program under the sun, they had a lot of opportunities. Part of the point of graduate work besides ingraining yourself in academia (a valid tactic), is to give yourself more of those networking and career-building opportunities.

Of course personally I'm terrible at all that so I just did Computer Science at the same time where the jobs* grow on trees.

*jobs not guaranteed to not suck.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Throwdini posted:

You just made that up to satisfy yourself. You don't know anything about me, dick.

You're right. I made that up because, guess what, you sound exactly like the kind of 20 something who took intro to politics and think that makes him more pure and better than anyone.

Don't know if you've noticed, but for the first time in thread history, people tend to side with me when we have our little slap fights. So, what does that say about you?

Honestly, at best, I think you're a troll. At best.

(Also, fun fact, what happened to keeping me on ignore like you proclaimed you do when you alleged I was a troll?)

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

You're right. I made that up because, guess what, you sound exactly like the kind of 20 something who took intro to politics and think that makes him more pure and better than anyone.

Don't know if you've noticed, but for the first time in thread history, people tend to side with me when we have our little slap fights. So, what does that say about you?

Honestly, at best, I think you're a troll. At best.

(Also, fun fact, what happened to keeping me on ignore like you proclaimed you do when you alleged I was a troll?)

Whatever comforting delusions you need to believe to sleep at night while you fight equality, keep me out of them. I want to be able to buy a loving shirt or a cell phone without knowing that slave labour produced it. Its well past the point of mental retardation to pretend everything is working just fine and we should let the world play out like its an arcade game for billionaires to compete for a high score on.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dolash posted:

I took three economics classes and one business class here at the U of Calgary, and it taught me not to trust anybody with an economics or business degree from the U of C.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I took two economics classes at U of O, both of which I was failing until I realized if I write the literal opposite of what I believe/thought the answer was, for instance answering that lowering minimum wage is a GOOD thing, I suddenly got almost perfect marks on everything.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

HookShot posted:

I took two economics classes at U of O, both of which I was failing until I realized if I write the literal opposite of what I believe/thought the answer was, for instance answering that lowering minimum wage is a GOOD thing, I suddenly got almost perfect marks on everything.

Yeah, I am very glad I left U of O.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I had to take two economics courses, but thankfully they were both with a delightful Marxist lecturer with a great sense of humor who had somehow managed to take over all the intro courses such that most business students who made it to second year had been challenged on a lot of the classical Austrian-school-caricature claptrap. He also did a fair number of the general introduction to arts lectures, including a great one on post-modernism where he calmly stripped throughout the lecture to reveal he was wearing a scuba-suit under his regular suit.

Ah, those University days. :allears:

The actual nightmare class was a business ethics philosophy course that business students were required to take. People in the class couldn't wrap their head around the idea that outsourcing could harm people who lose their jobs or that sweatshops were harmful to the workers - "but if there wasn't a sweatshop to work at, they'd have no job at all! So they'd be even worse off! Doesn't that make the sweatshop a good thing?"

Edit: That last line was meant to be an obviously absurd argument, but then again you'll hear much the same thing said today about TFWs so I guess it's still alive and kicking and will remain that way so long as it's profitable to feign ignorance.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 2, 2014

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

angerbot posted:

Well that's just crazy talk, what would we do with all the bombs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Plowshare

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_%28nuclear_propulsion%29

Dolash posted:

Does Roman politics count as politics?

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Oct 2, 2014

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My U of O econ prof was a former speech writer for GWB :suicide:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

While Orion is cool and probably the only currently feasible suggestion for deep-space manned exploration, Plowshare was a rank failure because of the fallout.

Turns out there's not a whole lot you can use a modern nuclear bomb for that isn't hazardous to human life for decades at the minimum.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Or them pulling them up against you?

I own my threadshitting and embrace it, so there's no gems like those obtained from throwing choice quotes back in the face of fools such as Swagger. :allears:

Rime fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 2, 2014

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Professor Shark posted:

GBS has been falling all over itself trying to exaggerate how easy it is to avoid getting Ebola while doctors specially trained in these kinds of diseases are contracting it.

Reminds me of when GBS was saying that Fukushima was perfectly fine and that there was nothing to worry about, nope.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

PittTheElder posted:

I took three economics classes and one business class here at the U of Calgary, and it taught me not to trust anybody with an economics or business degree from the U of C.

Atkins? The guy had a falling-out with Harper because he thinks politics corrupted Harper into a left-wing slimeball.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I took one econ class at U of T and literally the way to get marks was to just regurgitate what the prof had shown us in class onto the test paper.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
It feels like we just reset this stupid thing, but yeah, a new session is going to be filled with serious news and the next month will have at least one crazy mayoral election and one deployment of combat personnel to a war zone.

NOT IT

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
What was that good thread title we thought up a little while back?

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Canadian Politics Fall 2014: Within normal tolerance levels?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Canadian Politics: A Comedy of Manners

edit: Canadian Politics: Daesh Dash

edit: Daesh is certain

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 2, 2014

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Canadian Politics Fall 2014: Tears are not enough

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Canadian Politics Megathread: :ughh:

e: Canadian Politics Megathread: You can't spell Iraq without I-S-R-A-E-L

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Canadian Politics Megathread: OH YOU PIECE OF poo poo

the campaign opener heard round the world

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Canadian Politics Megathread: Solid As Iraq

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Canadian Politics Megathread: Un-Canadian Posting

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
E: ^^^ Winner!

The Goon posted:

Reminds me of when GBS was saying that Fukushima was perfectly fine and that there was nothing to worry about, nope.

The many coal power plants that dot North America put out way more radioactive material than would ever reach us from Fukushima. Fukushima is still bad but panicking over the radiation is silly since you're already being exposed to higher levels from other sources and not freaking out about it.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Canadian Politics Megathread: A Strong, Stable Shitposter Majority.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Un-Canadian Politics Megathread: We're sorry if you were offended by Ezra Levant

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Canadian Politics Megathread: Rob Anders Not Welcome

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HookShot posted:

My intro econ classes had math to back up most of the assertions, and as long as you could do the math they were easy.

If I believed something the math didn't demonstrate probably I would re-assess my beliefs.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Canadian Politics Megathread: It says no PT6As. We're allowed to have one.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Can pol: leftists plus pt6a.

(I tease because I love.)

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

HookShot posted:

My U of O econ prof was a former speech writer for GWB :suicide:

Frum?

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

My intro econ classes had math to back up most of the assertions, and as long as you could do the math they were easy.

If I believed something the math didn't demonstrate probably I would re-assess my beliefs.

Except that math is based on a series of assumptions about the way society and humans function, including an assumption that all relevant variables can be known, quantified, and included into mathematical models. There is a wide array of heterodox economic schools that challenge the assumptions made by orthodox economics, and most of these schools have their own math based on different assumptions and with different conclusions.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Duck Rodgers posted:

Except that math is based on a series of assumptions about the way society and humans function, including an assumption that all relevant variables can be known, quantified, and included into mathematical models. There is a wide array of heterodox economic schools that challenge the assumptions made by orthodox economics, and most of these schools have their own math based on different assumptions and with different conclusions.

Agreed. Intro economics isn't meant to be accurate, it doesn't reflect real life and the people who think it does and try to apply it are idiots. Into economics are there simply to give a foundation and introduction to the historical thoughts and economics so later professors can show how it has developed over time. Where it goes from there is entirely up to the student and to a lesser extent the teacher. Economics professors can pick holes in each others theories till the cows come home, it's the debate that's important, as well as trying to synthesize competing viewpoints.

The problem is when economics graduates try to go into politics. They become convinced that their interpretation is right and drat everyone else. The other problem is when non Econ people try to apply their one Econ course to the economy/government/anything. It never ends well.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

Here's a fun activity. Using "math", calculate Canada's natural rate of unemployment. Woops turns out you can't because even good old Milt himself only ever used a simple abstract labor demand model to theorize about it. You can't actually figure it out for an economy, and there's no reason to believe economies even have such a long run equilibrium point. It is useful as a rhetorical device for blasting government intervention thought, so expect it in just about every first year econ text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Canadian Politics Megathread: Whipping Out Our CF-18s and Showing How Big They Are

• Locked thread