Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Not sure if anybody has tried Helium Rain yet (http://store.steampowered.com/app/681330/Helium_Rain/) but it seems like a pretty decent space shooter and economic simulator that's obviously heavily inspired by the X series. I've only played it about an hour but it seems quite competent for early access.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I'm wondering if X4 can simplify their menus enough to give us full controller support. I'm too old to remember a bajillion hot keys like I used to be able to.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I'm wondering if X4 can simplify their menus enough to give us full controller support. I'm too old to remember a bajillion hot keys like I used to be able to.

Rebirth is actually pretty playable on controller, and I can't imagine X4 really doing anything too substantially different, controls-wise.

Tighran
Jun 28, 2004
I've been wanting to check out this game for a long time, and after beating Rebel Galaxy and not being quite satisfied (and looking into Evochron and Starpoint Gemini) I decided to finally plunge in.
I did the Argon Peacekeeper start, wanting to finish the first 3 missions quickly so I can get a decent start and begin exploring and stuff. Problem is, I keep getting murdered on the first mission. I jumpgate into the first combat area, and there are a few lone enemy ships around that I pretty quickly take down along with the help of some other Argons in the area. But after that all that seems to remain is a big wing of Terran ships, including an M6, that travel as a pack and will blast the poo poo out of me if I get into range, and I can't seem to pull any off to take on individually. Do I need to go out and start wandering and upgrade stuff before I take on even the first mission, or am I doing something wrong?

Also these movement controls feel awkward as hell... Does anyone recommend using a gamepad?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I read the OP, I watched a couple videos, but I still couldn't get into this game. The learning curve is a cliff. And its especially bad starting as the Master Race (Terran) because you don't get any good missions at the start? Or something like that. I didn't know what to do.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The learning curve is parabolic rotated 90 degrees clockwise, yes.

Honestly the only advice I can give is keep at it. I would recommend an Argon start because Terrans are a weird new lot who everyone else hates. Honestly I think X3:TC has a much better start because it starts you off in the west which is much calmer and older. The east is newer content and much more chaotic.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Tighran posted:

I've been wanting to check out this game for a long time, and after beating Rebel Galaxy and not being quite satisfied (and looking into Evochron and Starpoint Gemini) I decided to finally plunge in.
I did the Argon Peacekeeper start, wanting to finish the first 3 missions quickly so I can get a decent start and begin exploring and stuff. Problem is, I keep getting murdered on the first mission. I jumpgate into the first combat area, and there are a few lone enemy ships around that I pretty quickly take down along with the help of some other Argons in the area. But after that all that seems to remain is a big wing of Terran ships, including an M6, that travel as a pack and will blast the poo poo out of me if I get into range, and I can't seem to pull any off to take on individually. Do I need to go out and start wandering and upgrade stuff before I take on even the first mission, or am I doing something wrong?

Also these movement controls feel awkward as hell... Does anyone recommend using a gamepad?

Installing the Terran Conflict plots for AP is the best advice I can give. And yes, taking on an M6 in an M3 is a bad idea, if you've played EVE it's a bit like fighting a battleship in a cruiser.

I always thought the flight controls were fine, but I'd suggest using spacebar to toggle between interaction/flight mode. That's how it used to work in the previous version and it works better than RMB imo.

fake edit: ^^^^ TC plots for AP does exactly that, but it still lets you play the AP content afterwards

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I've given this advice a few times itt; scs software and NPC bailing addon. while they dont make the game a total cakewalk, (both have a bunch of settings you can mess around with for My Realism, including stopping khock and xenon from bailing from...themselves, if you so wish,) then build up a satellite/ship network & become a used ship salesman/alien/thing.
Salvage Claim Software. http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=223882
NPC Bailing. http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=219440

Please notice the json parser library and other requirements of the NPC bailing addon.

(Mars and bounce are also very useful additions to any game)

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Node posted:

I read the OP, I watched a couple videos, but I still couldn't get into this game. The learning curve is a cliff. And its especially bad starting as the Master Race (Terran) because you don't get any good missions at the start? Or something like that. I didn't know what to do.

I think the issue with trying to roll as Terran is that none of the weapons you can find in the rest of the universe are compatible with your ships. If you need more guns or missiles or something, you have to either hope that the factory hasn't stalled out or go set up the factory yourself.

Less of a concern, but still a concern, is that the Terran weapons are very "jack of all trades"-ish. They're seldom bad for their intended role, but never the best.

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

Tighran posted:

So the thing about that mission is... You don't have to do it now. Actually I recommend not doing it right now. I know I tried and got myself dead quite a few times. So I went off, did a bunch of side missions, and had a blast, got money, got better ships, THEN went back to do that mission, and was able to do it.

Basically, you gotta just gently caress off and have fun in the galaxy before you can do story missions.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

ZRM posted:

Basically, you gotta just gently caress off and have fun in the galaxy before you can do story missions.

This.

Also failed pirate start : best start. you get the mamba and no expectations. unlocking missions and such as you manage to make races not hate you, if you choose.
its pretty much a sandbox game, with some guidance and freebies via missions, that you can usually completely ignore while bumping around and working towards an M6 or something, there are lots of economic/structual holes for you to fill, trying to keep everything from grinding to a halt.

Tighran
Jun 28, 2004

ZRM posted:

So the thing about that mission is... You don't have to do it now. Actually I recommend not doing it right now. I know I tried and got myself dead quite a few times. So I went off, did a bunch of side missions, and had a blast, got money, got better ships, THEN went back to do that mission, and was able to do it.

I actually jumped to another system after taking out the few lone enemies flying around, and then the mission advanced. I've started jumping around sectors a bit, fighting enemy incursions into Argon space and keeping clear of hostile M6s. Not making a ton of money (for kills and sometimes grabbing missiles and poo poo) but getting a bit better at the game's systems.
...But now I have to switch ships to do the next mission it seems, and for the life of me I can't figure out how.

ZRM posted:

I mean that's more or less my intention, but I was under the impression you get an M6 or something from the 3rd mission, and that that was the best time to gently caress off and go explore and stuff.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Is there some way to mass assign newly purchased ships to a homebase or wing? I'm not sure how I can buy - or build - 30 or so M5s and shove them in a carrier efficiently (using Litcube's Universe if that helps).

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
So making a first pass on playing X3 and was wondering if there's any must have scripts that are missing or if just following the OP is good enough?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Moochewmoo posted:

So making a first pass on playing X3 and was wondering if there's any must have scripts that are missing or if just following the OP is good enough?

Anything in the bonus pack is a good idea. They are scripts signed by egosoft and don't even affect achievements.

The trick with this game is to play for awhile and find out what parts you like and which annoy you then spend many hours adding scripts and mods that change them somehow.

Also a bunch of the really useful scripts are going to be meaningless at first. Yeah improving capital ship turret usage is a good idea, but you're not going to be using them for a long time.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Anything in the bonus pack is a good idea. They are scripts signed by egosoft and don't even affect achievements.

The trick with this game is to play for awhile and find out what parts you like and which annoy you then spend many hours adding scripts and mods that change them somehow.

Also a bunch of the really useful scripts are going to be meaningless at first. Yeah improving capital ship turret usage is a good idea, but you're not going to be using them for a long time.

Awesome, that's good to know. I made a similar post on reddit and was suggested "Pirate Guild, Yaki Armada, LU, Khaak Return, Improved Races 2, Phanon Corp, Combat Mod 4, X-tra Ship Pack". Do any of these have a positive impact from the start or really just leave it the gently caress alone till I put some time in?

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Moochewmoo posted:

Awesome, that's good to know. I made a similar post on reddit and was suggested "Pirate Guild, Yaki Armada, LU, Khaak Return, Improved Races 2, Phanon Corp, Combat Mod 4, X-tra Ship Pack". Do any of these have a positive impact from the start or really just leave it the gently caress alone till I put some time in?

LU is an overhaul of the game. I would put off on that until you've played the base game a bit and understand the changes it makes.
Phanon Corp is an element of LU that also exists as a standalone. It basically creates an ai faction specifically to counter the player, it starts with relatively little (still more than you) and competes with you in your efforts to build a trade empire. I like it a lot but I'm unsure if I'd recommend it for a very first playthrough.
I would recommend the script that populates the universe with some derelict ships and the script that makes the ai slightly more likely to bail when losing a dogfight. Both of these can help get you over the initial hump of just flying a single-seat fighter and open up the game to you a bit more quickly. I wish I could remember the actual names but it's been so long since I've played.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

popewiles posted:

LU is an overhaul of the game. I would put off on that until you've played the base game a bit and understand the changes it makes.
Phanon Corp is an element of LU that also exists as a standalone. It basically creates an ai faction specifically to counter the player, it starts with relatively little (still more than you) and competes with you in your efforts to build a trade empire. I like it a lot but I'm unsure if I'd recommend it for a very first playthrough.
I would recommend the script that populates the universe with some derelict ships and the script that makes the ai slightly more likely to bail when losing a dogfight. Both of these can help get you over the initial hump of just flying a single-seat fighter and open up the game to you a bit more quickly. I wish I could remember the actual names but it's been so long since I've played.

The Bail one is just called Bail Addon or something similar, I use it a lot since I enjoy being a pirate.

I also recommend Yaki Armada and Pirate Guild, since both improve the respective faction.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Definitely LU is harder to properly appreciate without logging significant hours in a standard or modded X3 install.

LU feels like X3.5 to be honest.

What's holding me back from another playthrough is that I know the universe map in LU so well.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I think the thing I appreciate most from LU is the saturn complex hub. Compared to the hellish mass of fps-killing tubes you get from vanilla complex building, it is quick and fantastic.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I'm coming back into this game and was wondering what are the good mods to make this game better? I seem to recall someone making a giant list of 'pre-approved' modes, is that still being updated?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Litcube's Universe

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dunno if anyone's still interested in X4 but the last livestream they did makes it look promisingly like X3 with a hella good station planner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk4pPuC3GjA

Station designer's at 15 minutes.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Fuuuuuck yes that looks great.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

OwlFancier posted:

Dunno if anyone's still interested in X4 but the last livestream they did makes it look promisingly like X3 with a hella good station planner:

:eyepop:

As awesome as that all looks, I think I'm most amused by YouTube thinking that is Star Citizen :v:

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Hey poo poo tons of people are still interested in X4, thank you for asking! Like me. Can't wait. Thanks for the video. You're the best.

E: Wow that modular station/complex building looks awesome.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah, cliff notes is that stations are totally freeform and built within "plots", basically bounding boxes, you can stick components together however you want to add different production and structural modules. Most/all stations ingame use this system and NPCs design their own stations. Plots have to be paid for in owned sectors but in free space or dangerous areas you pay less or even can get the "land" free.

Seems pretty drat neat.

Also; point and click interface for fleet control :woop:

Lunethex posted:

As awesome as that all looks, I think I'm most amused by YouTube thinking that is Star Citizen :v:

I like that it's being broadcast live from Egosoft's finest streaming cupboard.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 28, 2017

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
In all seriousness it will basically be Star Citizen that works and gets released.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Also; point and click interface for fleet control :woop:

I'm really hoping they manage to implement good controller support because X3 with that would basically be the perfect sofa game for wasting an entire day.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lunethex posted:

In all seriousness it will basically be Star Citizen that works and gets released.

Kinda looks like it yeah.

The landing on the platform at 45:45 is actually really seamless and he's just walking around looking at all these little ships that look like star citizen ones.

loving lol if egosoft just dickpunches star citizen and puts out basically its design document only good and working.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I'm really hoping they manage to implement good controller support because X3 with that would basically be the perfect sofa game for wasting an entire day.

I think Rebirth is being remade for VR in the same engine so I would assume they're working on stuff like that, you can play Rebirth with a controller too but I dunno quite how compatible some of the stuff shown will be, cos it looks really mouse and keyboardey. Map screen seems like it would really need to be either mouse and keyboard or pretty heavily redesigned for controllers.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah, cliff notes is that stations are totally freeform and built within "plots", basically bounding boxes, you can stick components together however you want to add different production and structural modules. Most/all stations ingame use this system and NPCs design their own stations. Plots have to be paid for in owned sectors but in free space or dangerous areas you pay less or even can get the "land" free.

This is nice - it was a real shame in Rebirth how they had all these different modules that didn't really mean anything because all you could do when building a station was just follow a fixed plan down a few preset branches, where each stage of a branch would just pop 3-5 modules on with no real choice to be made.

I'm hoping as well with stations/cap ships that you can actually pick what kind of weapons to put on them, rather than Rebirth's "choice" of "all the turrets" or "fewer than all the turrets".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is nice - it was a real shame in Rebirth how they had all these different modules that didn't really mean anything because all you could do when building a station was just follow a fixed plan down a few preset branches, where each stage of a branch would just pop 3-5 modules on with no real choice to be made.

I'm hoping as well with stations/cap ships that you can actually pick what kind of weapons to put on them, rather than Rebirth's "choice" of "all the turrets" or "fewer than all the turrets".

Well they mention that it directly builds off of rebirth because the only thing stopping it was really the interface. Which I like a lot, it's what I was hoping would happen with the good systems laid down in Rebirth. Also hoping for yeah a degree of customization for weaponry too.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Well now I'm excited for X4. Here's hoping I don't regret it!

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Lunethex posted:

It's Egosoft so at least the "gets released" part will be accurate starting out :v:

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Lunethex posted:

Lets not go crazy here. It will be released, sure. Egosoft games tend to be bug monsters though. To be fair, they always do offer a lot of post-patch support. The first year of release is honestly more like a beta period. Once they release the inevitable X4 2.0 it will be more like a finished product.

The video looks great though. Honestly, aside from rebirth, I enjoy the X games to an unhealthy degree. I've put hundreds of hours into the various versions of X3. A real sequel is an easy way to extract money from my wallet. Rebirth still stings though. It is the sequel nobody wanted.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 28, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still think it's a half decent arcade spacey flyey shooty game. Looks nice and plays passably.

It's just not a very good sequel to X3 specifically, but you can see where the effort went, the systems are much better with more development.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I still think it's a half decent arcade spacey flyey shooty game. Looks nice and plays passably.

It's just not a very good sequel to X3 specifically, but you can see where the effort went, the systems are much better with more development.

Yeah I think after they finally fixed it up it was a decent enough game in its own right, they just hosed up by calling it "X", since that has expectations attached to it which it couldn't deliver on.

I'm looking forward to the intricate mods that folks will make for X4, and the expansions that will no doubt come later. If there's one thing I can count on, it's that the X games get plenty of support and steady improvements.

Really I just want to become a Pirate Lord again.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I had a ton of fun with X3 like 10 years ago, all the releases since haven't been as good though I do like they've added more controller support since I've moved to couch gaming and most of my gaming is done with a controller.

I loved the customization that X3 had, and spent a lot of time just cheating funds and building giant armadas to go fight Xenon invasion fleets. Of course I had to watch it from the system view because my pc NO PC could handle that many ships on the screen at that time. Though next processor upgrade I buy, I will have to reinstall it and see how many I can fit in a system before my game chunks to a slow crawl.

In the meantime I've been enjoying Everspace which is an cool roguelike space fighter, but man I got a hankering for building a trade network, capturing enemy ships, and building up a small army that only X can provide.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I will suggest to anyone who has an X3 itch that they may enjoy Avorion

It's... basically what you'd get if you set out to make X3 solely via procedural generation. The design straight up copies a bunch of stuff from X3 but everything in it is built out of lego blocks basically.

It's quite rough and early access but I enjoyed playing around with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
As much as I hope X4 is rad, let's not forget it's still Egosoft making it. I bet it will be super great like a year after release and a few expansions in.

• Locked thread