Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Litcube's Universe

Anyone tried it with the "Mayhem" mod that can give a trip report? LU is good, but outside of Phanon/OCV, things are a bit too stagnant and lacking in conquering once you have them under control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

Anyone tried it with the "Mayhem" mod that can give a trip report? LU is good, but outside of Phanon/OCV, things are a bit too stagnant and lacking in conquering once you have them under control.

I have. It's... extremely difficult. And the Mod Author is the sort that will mock you and poo poo if you try to suggest ways of easing the player into the game, so expect no helpful advice from him or his fans.

That said, it's very very different. You start out in an empty sector with a station, some population, and a few supplies. You need to immediately start trading your surplus supplies to get credits to buy food to buy time to build a food station, because your people are going to be starving by the time you jump through the 6-or-so forced tutorial gates that slowly unlock your systems and options.

I did not get far, but the concept has a lot of promise, I feel. But the mod author has made the start extremely unforgiving so you basically need to fail and restart several times to work out what you need to sell and where you need to go.

Edit: You want to build a Bofu station for food first, because I believe it requires no further processing and produces plenty of food. Any other station requires at least one other to produce food and your people will starve by the time you scrounge the money or the time to build it.

Naturally, the mod author thinks people who use Bofu are scrubs.

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 4, 2017

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Not as difficult as it's made out to sound. You don't have to keep your peeps fed or even hold onto any sector (learned both of those the hard way). The only downside compared to a normal game is the lack of ability to get ships except via bailing or boarding without your own spot, and I guess invasions if you own a sector without enough defense. Otherwise this is nearly perfect. No tedium in the station management/building, money isn't the end all be all of everything, the whole universe stays dynamic and doesn't go stale. And you get to hear the computer talk about kha'ak again.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
Steam's got a free weekend going for the X series, if anyone was on the fence about buying.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

Not as difficult as it's made out to sound. You don't have to keep your peeps fed or even hold onto any sector (learned both of those the hard way). The only downside compared to a normal game is the lack of ability to get ships except via bailing or boarding without your own spot, and I guess invasions if you own a sector without enough defense. Otherwise this is nearly perfect. No tedium in the station management/building, money isn't the end all be all of everything, the whole universe stays dynamic and doesn't go stale. And you get to hear the computer talk about kha'ak again.

I'll have to give it another go then. I just bounced off it last time I tried.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Friend Commuter posted:

Steam's got a free weekend going for the X series, if anyone was on the fence about buying.

Also discounts, to mark the launch of Rebirth VR.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I will suggest to anyone who has an X3 itch that they may enjoy Avorion

It's... basically what you'd get if you set out to make X3 solely via procedural generation. The design straight up copies a bunch of stuff from X3 but everything in it is built out of lego blocks basically.

It's quite rough and early access but I enjoyed playing around with it.

Thanks for this suggestion. It's scratching that itch real good.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

sloshmonger posted:

Thanks for this suggestion. It's scratching that itch real good.

Helium Rain is an X3-alike as well.

Edit: That was heavily neutral, but it's pretty good from my brief playing with it.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

After watching that earlier video I find myself greatly anticipating making convoluted station complexes with ease.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They are doing another livestream on the 13th if you are wanting more.

20:00 CET (11:00 PST / 14:00 EST / 19:00 GMT)

https://www.twitch.tv/egosoftofficial

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Hav posted:

Helium Rain is an X3-alike as well.

Edit: That was heavily neutral, but it's pretty good from my brief playing with it.
Someone also described Avorion as an X-style game where you build your own ships as well (though I haven't tried it yet).

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Didn't a goon make a sandbox spaceship game? Whatever happened with that?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wasn't that erm... rebel galaxy?

And didn't it turn out to be a pile of shite from what I remember?

One or both of those statements might be incorrect.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
There was at least one, Kinetic Void. The steam reviews speak for themselves: http://store.steampowered.com/app/227160/Kinetic_Void/

Edit: Rebel Galaxy is loving awesome, but it's not an X like game. It's an arcade-y spaceship based rock music player.

drgnvale fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 9, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

drgnvale posted:

There was at least one, Kinetic Void. The steam reviews speak for themselves: http://store.steampowered.com/app/227160/Kinetic_Void/

Thaats the one I was thinking of, glad I was half right.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
So I did a bad thing during the steam sale and bought X Rebirth: VR. I really wish I'd had a rift for it instead of a vive because the controls seem way less terrible on the rift motion things than the vive wands.

I also have no idea what to do in this loving game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I didn't watch the whole video but apparently you can mix and match your controllers to a quite large degree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9g9j-zjAxk

I don't have a VR setup and have never used one but it looks like they put a lot of time into the VR controls, which is pretty cool given how new the technology is.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Dec 9, 2017

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
That'd be neat, but I don't think I want to buy rift motion controllers for a single bad space game. I've used the gamepad a bit and it's fine, but I really want to get a chair setup with my old X-52. I just need a USB extension cable and I think I can have a fun bad spacetime.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

drgnvale posted:

Edit: Rebel Galaxy is loving awesome, but it's not an X like game. It's an arcade-y spaceship based rock music player.

Aw, that's too bad. :(

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

NeurosisHead posted:

Aw, that's too bad. :(

It never really moved on from a clunky start, but I was happy to have backed it in my stated aim to make Lumbering Troll question his life choices.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Someone also described Avorion as an X-style game where you build your own ships as well (though I haven't tried it yet).

That's what I was replying to. Feels like more of a space engineers, personally.

drgnvale posted:

That'd be neat, but I don't think I want to buy rift motion controllers for a single bad space game. I've used the gamepad a bit and it's fine, but I really want to get a chair setup with my old X-52. I just need a USB extension cable and I think I can have a fun bad spacetime.

Probably not entirely pertinent to what you're looking for, but the Thrustmaster T1600 stick is what I replaced my X-52 with because it has no center waggle or fade. Much tighter on the center. Not as good a button layout, but I'm getting more used to it. The throttle isn't bad, except I get more stiction from the slide motion than I like.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Hav posted:

That's what I was replying to. Feels like more of a space engineers, personally.
I think I'll pick it up then - if Avorian is anywhere on a spectrum between Space Engineers and X then it's right up my alley :)

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Less Fat Luke posted:

I think I'll pick it up then - if Avorian is anywhere on a spectrum between Space Engineers and X then it's right up my alley :)

Can confirm it basically straddles the line between the two.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah it rips a bunch of bits wholesale from X3 but it also bolts on a lego build your own spaceship thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/209254899

As of a couple hours ago there is a new stream of X4 Q&A live from the egosoft broom cupboard for you to watch if you would like.

I will update with timestamps about interesting bits, from skimming the thumbnails there looks like some kind of ship loadout editor in there, will confirm when I get to that.

10:40 Player characters are now rendered in world and are visible in cockpits. Different models for different starts.

13:00 Lasers gimbal on ships, different weapons may have different degrees of gimbal with more powerful ones having less tracking.

15:40 Traveling mode, in addition to boosters, you can activate travel mode which lets you achieve a much higher top speed, but with very slow acceleration and minimal steering. Different engines have different degrees of efficacy in this mode. You can drop out of highways in travel mode to retain their speed boost. Game likely to have SETA but not sure if it's staying in because you go absurdly fast by activating travel + seta.

21:50 TOAs are back, rather than all gates there are other gate-like objects to add more space into the game without needing whole new systems.

24:15 map now has icons for ships and stations. Number of ship classes is likely to be somewhere between X3 and X rebirth.

27:05 footage of teladi falcon fighter undocking from an osprey, teladi ships have rotating engines and the whole thing looks honestly real neat with the new gimballing guns.

28:40 medium teladi ship Peregrine bomber, looks baller, has two forward big guns and 4 missile turrets.

30:10 Argon minotaur bomber

31:15 argon discoverer, fast but not actually that maneuverable.

32:35 argon nova, more maneuverable with gimbal engines and high visibility cockpit.

34:15 teladi kestrel, slower than disco, better shields, nice canopy cockpit.

37:00 kestrel flight sounds, docking at shipyard really nice sounding, bassy.

38:45 ship upgrade menu, in 3d, not much footage but it looks like you can change key components out possibly including turrets. Same interface also used for equipping station modules with weapons.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 13, 2017

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

So as someone who hasn’t played X3:TC for about 8 years now and has just got a steam controller, does anyone know of any good controller profiles/configs?

There’s two on steam and they’re both crap. I know I’m still gonna need the kb for somethings

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Is rebirth any good? I remember x3 fondly but the reviews for rebirth are a dumpster fire.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Rebirth is poo poo.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What is so bad about rebirth? I get that you can’t build factories or get different ships but that doesn’t make it a bad game does it? Just different? I thought with the latest expansions and patches it was pretty good and am considering getting it for my Oculus.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
The Oculus controls seem really good. First time I've regretted getting a vive instead.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

chaosapiant posted:

What is so bad about rebirth? I get that you can’t build factories or get different ships but that doesn’t make it a bad game does it? Just different? I thought with the latest expansions and patches it was pretty good and am considering getting it for my Oculus.

Rebirth is an actually pretty decent "fly a spaceship" game, but it is not an "X" game. It lacks all of the depth of the series, but it's fun enough for flying around and shooting ships.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So in AP it seems like teh economy is borked, but I just started so who knows

like nothing is being supplied with energy cells so no ore or other things are being produced

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sounds like you need to get a TM, slap it with a mk 3 trading software upgrade and make some money!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phi230 posted:

So in AP it seems like teh economy is borked, but I just started so who knows

like nothing is being supplied with energy cells so no ore or other things are being produced

The economy collapses if you don't prop it up or install mods to overhaul it.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't have enough cash I only have like 500k

I only have a mercury

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

The economy collapses if you don't prop it up or install mods to overhaul it.

After like 7 hours of in game time?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phi230 posted:

After like 7 hours of in game time?

Yeah it has holes built in for you to advance into so it starts to fall over p quick.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah it has holes built in for you to advance into so it starts to fall over p quick.

So what am I supposed to do? Just trade energy cells forever? The margins on these things are tiny. Like 6 credits per unit.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Phi230 posted:

So what am I supposed to do? Just trade energy cells forever? The margins on these things are tiny. Like 6 credits per unit.

Starting out, you should do station defense missions until you get enough scratch for a couple of universal traders. 1.5 mil should get you about three. Then you set them up to trade the energy cells so you don't have to.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pylons posted:

Starting out, you should do station defense missions until you get enough scratch for a couple of universal traders. 1.5 mil should get you about three. Then you set them up to trade the energy cells so you don't have to.

I don't have a combat vessel, just a mercury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
You poor soul, did you do the teladi trader start? Should have gone with Argon Protocol (or whatever it's named, the default combat campaign).

• Locked thread