Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

What the hell dude

I'm saying, that at a dull point in his parents story and without any warning , that his mothers body should have rejected his fetus and crushed him up into a paste.

gently caress. Tim. Buckley.

He is a hack writer and should have been off the Internet a while ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I'm saying, that at a dull point in his parents story and without any warning , that his mothers body should have rejected his fetus and crushed him up into a paste.

drat, mang. Did Tim Buckley kill your parents or something?

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

In other news, they forgot to give Infallible Messenger a cost, or keywords, or a duration. Which were in the leak.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Bouquet posted:

I like it better than the much more flowery and poorly organized 3e text.

The biggest thing I'm wondering is if my attempt at completely avoiding a glossary works. I haven't quite figured out how to finesse it more with a couple of clauses shoved in at the end (like the environmental stuff), but it's an interesting challenge to try and make it flow well as a start-to-finish read that you can still go back and reference.

Edit: Plus, I despise that horrifying giant glossary that takes up multiple pages at the start of the Systems chapter in the book.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 31, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Excelsiortothemax posted:

Nice, comrade. We can use that vindictiveness, though against more... appropriate targets.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

SunAndSpring posted:

drat, mang. Did Tim Buckley kill your parents or something?

He ended his comic with the main character pushing some buttons on a machine to reset the entire universe, but the buttons weren't Control+Alt+Delete.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So I got to thinking about how non-magical equipment sections usually are crazy boring, so I've been looking around for ideas to slip little plot hooks into them (and welcome ideas to use with the other weapons).

Juggler assassins hiding in plain sight! :derp:

Also, is there a broad consensus on the Heavy weapons category yet? It seems like it's just too blatantly worse than the other two for most people, since the Accuracy drop-off is just too much.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 31, 2015

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Just to verify, this is an attempt to replicate the rules as written? No changes to the actual rules here, just how they're presented?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Just to verify, this is an attempt to replicate the rules as written? No changes to the actual rules here, just how they're presented?

Substantial bits had to be invented from whole cloth, including stuff like "what action do you use to go to ground" and "what happens when you're in stealth and attack someone" and "how are attacks and simultaneous turns actually resolved" (thanks to Nihnoz for the initial set of steps I used there) and "what happens when people multi-attack clash each other" and so on.

The stuff that actually is there in the first place is identical in practice in this version* (for example, movement per turn works out the same even though Move isn't Reflexive anymore), though more changes might still be needed depending on how "Movement as its own action type" shakes out with Charms.

* Except for "zones on a map" instead of "totally theater of the mind placement", because that works out basically the same in terms of range measurements, and I think it works way better for multiple combatants.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 31, 2015

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Roadie posted:

* Except for "zones on a map" instead of "totally theater of the mind placement", because that works out basically the same in terms of range measurements, and I think it works way better for multiple combatants.

This was the bit I was curious about, because I hadn't seen any of that in the leak.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

This was the bit I was curious about, because I hadn't seen any of that in the leak.

In terms of function it should basically be the same (just as one 2D map instead of multiple separate 1D tracks you have to keep track of), though I think I have to do some rewriting to make the special "close" range stuff more clear with movement.

Anyway, the idea is that you basically do the same as a FATE zone map:

Then count across zones for ranges.

Close combat is like a sub-zone inside a zone that you have Disengage to untangle yourself from.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 31, 2015

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
This is garbage.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

This is garbage.

Why?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Don't add FATE's map placement system because it's absurdly vague. You might as well go theater of the mind there.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Don't add FATE's map placement system because it's absurdly vague. You might as well go theater of the mind there.

The version that's in the book is basically FATE's zones except shittier once you consider what it's used for.

You have to track Close <-> Short <-> Medium <-> Long in relation to your enemies, and you have to track Close <-> Short <-> Medium <-> Long with all those enemies in relation to each other, because some effects specifically go off that in a "target another enemy who's at Medium range to the enemy you hit" sort of way.

Just making it a map at least gets rid of the first layer of imitation-TotM terribleness.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Also it ought to be "Mundane" but I imagine these are drafts. Frankly your layout looks nicer than the ones in the books, though it is less decorated.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Nessus posted:

Also it ought to be "Mundane" but I imagine these are drafts.
Yep.

I'm also thinking about combining the artifact and non-artifact weapon/armor listings, and basically listing the artifacts as secondary enhancements on top of the mundane item. I think it makes a smoother progression than putting them totally separately.

Actually, I'm surprised the book doesn't have exceptional armor/weapons. It's pretty easy to get a middle step out of the stats if you squint at it enough.

Artifact weapons across the board get +1 Accuracy, +3 Damage, +0 Defense (except for Heavy that gets +1?), and +1+(1/category) Overwhelming added to the non-artifact stats.

Similarly, artifact armor gets +1+(1/category) Soak and +1+(3/category) Hardness added to the non-artifact stats.

Take a +1 from each of those stats and give that to an Exceptional category in-between and you've got a good middle step for exquisitely crafted stuff that isn't an outright artifact.

Nessus posted:

Frankly your layout looks nicer than the ones in the books, though it is less decorated.
That one's mostly down to LaTeX and the tufte-book layout in particular (which is styled after Edward Tufte's books) generating really nice-looking texts and layouts. (It probably doesn't hurt that I'm cutting the word count in half while rewriting a bunch of this, though.)

Plus I've really loved the 'nicely set text against a flat layout with wide margins' thing for game books ever since Nobilis 2e, though I doubt I could ever come up with interesting-yet-ignorable thematic content in the margin as aggressively as Jenna Moran can.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

it works really well for the way ranges work dude. I've been doing it since my exalted campaign started, it's 100% the best way to handle battles, trust me.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Play Exalted on a really big hex grid, and each hex represents a range band, and multiple characters can occupy the same hex.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Ferrinus posted:

Play Exalted on a really big hex grid, and each hex represents a range band, and multiple characters can occupy the same hex.

That's a pretty good idea, I think I'll give that a go.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Roadie posted:

So I got to thinking about how non-magical equipment sections usually are crazy boring, so I've been looking around for ideas to slip little plot hooks into them (and welcome ideas to use with the other weapons).

Juggler assassins hiding in plain sight! :derp:

Also, is there a broad consensus on the Heavy weapons category yet? It seems like it's just too blatantly worse than the other two for most people, since the Accuracy drop-off is just too much.

Your layout looks so much better I can't even begin to describe. Space for sidebars instead of mashing them awkwardly into the middle of the text in sometimes nonsensical places! Your combat writeup looks very clear as well, I like the idea of writing actions up like lesser charms, easier to take in information like defense penalties that way.

They should just hire you, you're already fixing the book for them.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Yeah, I think your layout's a bit better. Don't care for some of the name changes, though. I like Withering, Decisive, and Successes more than what you have.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Roadie, you could stick caste marks in the inner corners of each page spread. I grabbed 24 from the unofficial wiki: http://www.bouquetofflowers.net/TG/Exalted/caste_marks.zip

Example:

That'd give you a six page rotating pattern. If you'd rather have SVG than PNG I could make simplified versions.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

SunAndSpring posted:

Yeah, I think your layout's a bit better. Don't care for some of the name changes, though. I like Withering, Decisive, and Successes more than what you have.

Threatening and Decisive attacks.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

Yeah, I think your layout's a bit better.
Thinking about it, I suspect there's a substantial benefit possible in actual readability from ditching the two-column, text-dense layout that so many RPGs seem to have just because they're copying previous books that are copying previous books that are copying all the way back to AD&D or whatever.

I mean, sure, it means more page count, but that's what aggressively minimizing and deduplicating mechanics text is for.

"Success" in particular is about tightening up the language, so that "if you succeed on this roll" and "add a success to this roll" mean distinct things. Fixing that problem is always going to take changing one or the other use of the word.

SunAndSpring posted:

Don't care for some of the name changes, though. I like Withering, Decisive, and Successes more than what you have.

Bouquet posted:

Roadie, you could stick caste marks in the inner corners of each page spread.
At the moment, this is basically because I can't decide if I want to make this into just an Exalted fanbook, or go whole-hog and make something nominally independent that just happens to be remarkably equivalent in terms of mechanics.

As already mentioned in this thread, text is copyrighted, but mechanics can't be. Specific distinctive words not already used in a generic way in the industry (e.g. "Strength") probably fall into the former, not the latter, which makes reuse of terms like "withering" a sticky wicket.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 1, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Roadie posted:

Thinking about it, I suspect there's a substantial benefit possible in actual readability from ditching the two-column, text-dense layout that so many RPGs seem to have just because they're copying previous books that are copying previous books that are copying all the way back to AD&D or whatever.

I mean, sure, it means more page count, but that's what aggressively minimizing and deduplicating mechanics text is for.

At the moment, this is basically because I can't decide if I want to make this into just an Exalted fanbook, or go whole-hog and make something nominally independent that just happens to be remarkably equivalent in terms of mechanics.

As already mentioned in this thread, text is copyrighted, but mechanics can't be. Specific distinctive words not already used in a generic way in the industry (e.g. "Strength") probably fall into the former, not the latter, which makes reuse of terms like "withering" a sticky wicket.

"Success" in particular is more about tightening up the language, though, so that "if you succeed on this roll" and "add a success to this roll" mean distinct things. Fixing that problem is always going to take changing one or the other use of the word.

I think you might be liable for some level of moral hazard if you just re-sell it. While it is true mechanics can't be copyrighted so you can take all of the mechanics and make your own game, there is likely some legal issues. The fact that game isn't even officially out yet and has only been released in preview material to those who prepurchased that right may also apply some pressure on you. Perhaps more so if you are a backer as Kickstarter may have some legal text on backers not abusing their insider knowledge, though I some how doubt this contingency,

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Covok posted:

I think you might be liable for some level of moral hazard
Well, yeah. I'd be kind of an rear end to do it—that is indeed a moral hazard. At the same time, "take this existing idea and fix it up for easier use" has been the initial drive of a lot of successful businesses.

Covok posted:

likely some legal issues
The legal issues are the ones I already mentioned: the actual text is copyrighted. Here's the governmental summary, emphasis mine.

quote:

Copyright does not protect the idea for a game, its name or title, or the method or methods for playing it. Nor does copyright protect any idea, system, method, device, or trademark material involved in developing, merchandising, or playing a game. Once a game has been made public, nothing in the copyright law prevents others from developing another game based on similar principles. Copyright protects only the particular manner of an author’s expression in literary, artistic, or musical form.

Material prepared in connection with a game may be subject to copyright if it contains a sufficient amount of literary or pictorial expression. For example, the text matter describing the rules of the game or the pictorial matter appearing on the gameboard or container may be registrable.

"Take this number of dice and add them together following this set of steps" is not protected. The actual specific expression of that text in the book, including stuff like distinctive words used to describe things, is protected.

This is why there can be a billion Flappy Bird clones and why there are a billion fantasy heartbreakers out there that badly copy the AD&D rules.

Covok posted:

some legal text on backers not abusing their insider knowledge
No.

Also, it's not like this is something that I'd spit out complete within the next month or two anyway.

Nihnoz posted:

Threatening and Decisive attacks.

I do like "threatening" more than "withering". I don't really see the connection between "withering" and "trying to stab people".

Roadie fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 2, 2015

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
Again, if it's necessary to distinguish between dice successes and "succeeding" at a roll, I would use the language of pass/fail for rolls rather than introducing an arbitrary technical term for dice successes. The former is completely intuitive and actually has precedent, so it'll be immediately understood by anyone picking up the game, whereas the latter sounds weird and honestly grating.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Thug Lessons posted:

an arbitrary technical term for dice successes

I understand what you mean... but, just saying here, "success" for "got this number on a die" is an arbitrary technical term in the first place. :v: Shadowrun uses "hits", other games use different terms.

Plus, if we're talking about how arbitrary terms are, everything from Dark Heresy to good ol' Ghostbuster International to the 600-pound gorilla that is D&D/Pathfinder use "success" and "failure" as the overall terms for a roll.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 2, 2015

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Roadie posted:

I understand what you mean... but, just saying here, "success" for "got this number on a die" is an arbitrary technical term in the first place. :v: Shadowrun uses "hits", other games use different terms.

"Success" makes sense because you succeeded in rolling at or above your target number. "Hit" makes sense because you hit your target number, though it has some overlap with hitting an opponent in combat which makes it a no-go if "success" was a problem in the first place. "Pip", "point" and so on are just completely arbitrary and come off as weird and unnecessary technical terms.

Mainly my point is that whatever term you're using here should have some relation to what's happening, rather than just calling them chazwozzers.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Roadie posted:

Plus, if we're talking about how arbitrary terms are, everything from Dark Heresy to good ol' Ghostbuster International to the 600-pound gorilla that is D&D/Pathfinder use "success" and "failure" as the overall terms for a roll.

Symmetry with other TTRPGS isn't a problem unless it's actually going to confuse people, which it won't in this case because everyone will pick up on the pass/fail language in the first 5 minutes. Beyond that the only value in it is some sort of meta-aesthetic that's not really that compelling in the first place. But if you must, absolutely must, make sure Exalted lines up with D&D and Pathfinder in terms of language I would suggest using "hits" rather than "pips" or "points" because then at least it makes sense.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Using pass/fail to refer to overall roll/task resolution is a good way to avoid having find-replace the better part of the book.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Honestly if you used a pass/fail system and didn't mention it, probably nobody would notice. It's really intuitive and thus mostly invisible. If you replace "success" with another term it sticks out like a sore thumb because it was a technical term to begin with and, like Ferrinus says, it's everywhere, so in this case I would definitely favor symmetry with your source material over symmetry with other games.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

find-replace the better part of the book

What I've done so far has been 99% rewrites from scratch because the original either completely avoids actually using the right mechanical terms or labors fiercely to fit the contents of one sentence into three, so that's not exactly a huge burden by comparison.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
What's a better term for "Movement action", to differentiate it from physical movement? I was thinking "Minor action", maybe, to steal a note from D&D.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Roadie posted:

What's a better term for "Movement action", to differentiate it from physical movement? I was thinking "Minor action", maybe, to steal a note from D&D.

Secondary action? Complementary?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
A Movement. As in bowel movement.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

:siren: STOP THE loving PRESSES. The ENTIRE discussion of signeurage and currency debasement from the bookmarked 3rd edition leak is COMPLETELY missing from the final pdf. This book is poo poo

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Ferrinus posted:

:siren: STOP THE loving PRESSES. The ENTIRE discussion of signeurage and currency debasement from the bookmarked 3rd edition leak is COMPLETELY missing from the final pdf. This book is poo poo

I hope Paradox turns these loving people out of their homes. I'm as serious as a heart attack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Roadie posted:

How are movement actions not related to physical movement?

• Locked thread