Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Bedlamdan posted:

Someday, we will have an Exalted/WoD crossover :3:

I'm afraid not. We'll only have an Exalted/90s crossover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

I'm afraid not. We'll only have an Exalted/90s crossover.

Yeah, so Exalted/WoD!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The oWoD is bad.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
It would be infuriating, if somewhat darkly amusing, if OPP gets its licenses revoked in the transition and 3E dies without anything more than a mostly-finished corebook for backers because they couldn't be bothered to deliver anything on time.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

The oWoD is bad.

Counterpoint: Exalted is good and Exalts basically running into the setting with Steel Folding Chairs sounds a-okay.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I am unsure what an Exalted/WoD crossover would give you that you couldn't already do by mashing your already-existing action figures together in your playroom.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Bedlamdan posted:

Counterpoint: Exalted is good and Exalts basically running into the setting with Steel Folding Chairs sounds a-okay.

I'd rather they run into a good setting, defaulting to actually-existing Creation if there's nothing better on the table.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Onyx Path's already been tweeting about being happy to work with Paradox, they'll be fine.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Ketrus posted:

Purchasing White Wolf in cash had to be quite the investment.

I'm pretty sure CCP has been trying to offload white wolf for anything they can possibly get considering that it turned out to be basically a 100% loss

I wouldn't be surprised if paradox not only picked up for a song but not even a particularly long song

e: also, ck2/exalted game right now, please

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Neopie posted:

Onyx Path's already been tweeting about being happy to work with Paradox, they'll be fine.

Of course they are. They're the ones with no leverage here.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

If you decrypt the cipher applied to Onyx Path's tweets you'll find that they actually read "Mario! Save meeee!"

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Bedlamdan posted:

Someday, we will have an Exalted/WoD crossover :3:

Wasn't that in Shards of the Exalted Dream or whatever that was called?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Well, seeing as Paradox makes tons of DLC for their games and Exalted apparently plans to release tons of supplements (seriously, they have like 5 new types of Exalted planned in addition to the old ones), it's a perfect match.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Covok posted:

Nope!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

SunAndSpring posted:

Well, seeing as Paradox makes tons of DLC for their games and Exalted apparently plans to release tons of supplements (seriously, they have like 5 new types of Exalted planned in addition to the old ones), it's a perfect match.

They might have five new exalted planned, but Limials are just Promethean 3e in disguise.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Covok posted:

The Modern Shard still takes place on a flat Creation, it's just that instead of aesthetics based on the Mayans and ancient China, it has aesthetics based on Detroit and modern Beijing.

Which is kind of strange, because some of the more fantastic Shards actually do have spherical planets.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 29, 2015

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Covok posted:

They might have five new exalted planned, but Limials are just Promethean 3e in disguise.

Prometheans are cool, so I'm ok with this because in this setting they can kick the rear end of any punk motherfucker that steps to them for being a Frankenstein.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

Prometheans are cool, so I'm ok with this because in this setting they can kick the rear end of any punk motherfucker that steps to them for being a Frankenstein.

Please do not base a splat type on Beasts, Exalted devs!!!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

UberJew posted:

I'm pretty sure CCP has been trying to offload white wolf for anything they can possibly get considering that it turned out to be basically a 100% loss

I wouldn't be surprised if paradox not only picked up for a song but not even a particularly long song

The figure I heard was "tens of millions". 10 million converts to about 1.2 million USD, so my guess would be about 5 million USD for white wolf? Possibly less, but I doubt it's much more.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

UberJew posted:

Naw CCP apparently wanted an absurd amount of money for White Wolf, from what I heard. So either Paradox shelled out the cash or CCP realized they just weren't getting anything from it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

The oWoD is bad.

I disagree.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014

Covok posted:

Its just a lot of little things. One of the Technocracy books had Autochthonia, a machine planet. Maybe that one's not so little.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Random mechanics jiggerypokery thought: What's a better term for getting a success on a die than "success"? It's kind of awkward having overlapping terminology for "success on a die" and "succeeding on a roll".

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Roadie posted:

Random mechanics jiggerypokery thought: What's a better term for getting a success on a die than "success"? It's kind of awkward having overlapping terminology for "success on a die" and "succeeding on a roll".

If you want to change one it should probably be the latter because the former is a technical term.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Thug Lessons posted:

If you want to change one it should probably be the latter because the former is a technical term.

Honestly, I'd rather have "success" for success on the roll as a whole, with some alternative term for the individual die results from pips. It's more intuitive that way in context with "failing" a roll.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
A 'hit'. An 'ace'. A 'scoring die'. A 'point'.

Edit: A 'pip'.

Doc Aquatic
Jul 30, 2003

Current holder of the Plush-bum Mr. Sweets Chair in American Hobology
My inclination is something like 'hits', but that has the downside of being potentially similarly confusing in combat.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The oWoD is good, but the nWoD is Better.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Doc Aquatic posted:

My inclination is something like 'hits', but that has the downside of being potentially similarly confusing in combat.

Yeah those are all even worse, if it's really confusing to you (it's not confusing) just use pass/fail for rolls.

YakOnFir
Aug 16, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

The oWoD is good, but the nWoD is Playable.

This is a bit more like it.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014
If you're looking for playable, White Wolf hasn't been the best place to be.

How's that 3E splat looking? I didn't back it, but I'm curious.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Orabilis posted:

It's still a hot mess, but it is probably the most playable version of Exalted that has actually had "Exalted" on the label as opposed to "Exalted World" or "FATExalted" or "GURPS Exalted" or whatever

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Orabilis posted:

It's an unambiguous improvement over 2E that's marred by a couple of bad decisions.

The base system is genuinely good, the Craft subsystem is bad but stuff like War and Sailing work well now, and the rest depends upon your feelings on large lists of charms, spells, and techniques.

Oh and BP/XP

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 29, 2015

Ketrus
Oct 29, 2007

Stay the hell away from my circles.

Orabilis posted:

For crunch:

The core combat system (initiative, withering, and decisive attacks) is actually fun to play for once. The social influence system... well, exists, for real, for the first time, and it's pretty drat good. Both the social system and the combat system have enough ability spread / possible approaches that you get a lot of leverage out of teamwork. This has counter-intuitive results for those of us raised on first or second edition. It makes sense to take dots in Socialize. They really aren't kidding and Ox-Body really is useful for once.

There are no combos, thank god, and weapon choice does directly influence turn order or turn frequency. They put a leash on stunts so you're not getting +2's and willpower regen every round, but it's still a core component of the game.

There are a lot of decisions that are definitely love it or hate it (the crafting system), but I think it's a huge improvement over second edition. You're looking at the result of someone trying very hard to make second edition playable, for years, giving up, and starting from scratch. (Then giving up, and starting from scratch AGAIN, and getting it almost right).

(Edit: Oh, I forgot. There are so many charms. This introduces some choice paralysis, but a lot of them are very interesting charms, like the Survival tree that lets you turn your Familiars into murder machines and cooperate with them more effectively in combat. On a Caste by Caste basis, you get to choose one of eight abilities as your Supernal ability, which allows you to purchase charms all the way up to Essence 5 from the start. This is a huge part of character creation, picking a single specialization to eat up about half of your 15 starting charms, and giving your character a gimmick where they're simply unmatched. In that way it's a very different 0xp feel from 1e/2e)

For fluff:

It's a lot more similar to first edition core than anything else. The book isn't interested in telling you precisely how everything works, only how your character's stuff works. There's a page dedicated to describing charms as narrative abstraction, and absolutely nothing describing how a character might enter Malfeas, if they were so inclined. There's lots of blank room right now, partially a result of the reboot, partially a result of their "let's not demystify absolutely everything" philosophy.

The Dreaming Sea, the new region in the southeast, is pretty drat cool. The North has reasons to care about it other than Whitewall. The art is about 2/5 awesome, 2/5 acceptable, 1/5 poser screenshots poorly painted over. They're working on that.

It has the single best piece of opening fiction I've ever read in a tabletop RPG.

Ketrus fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 29, 2015

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Roadie posted:

I see sux used a lot so why not enshrine it?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

SunAndSpring posted:

Hopefully Onyx can speed the release a bit up, if they're releasing everything two years late like the corebook, we'll see the last of those 5 new types in loving 2025 at the earliest.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

A 'hit'. An 'ace'. A 'scoring die'. A 'point'.

Edit: A 'pip'.

I like "pip". It sounds vaguely die related and most people won't actually know the real meaning.

Thug Lessons posted:

Yeah those are all even worse, if it's really confusing to you (it's not confusing) just use pass/fail for rolls.

It isn't confusing to me personally, but the use of "success" to mean two different things in short order is one of those things that stood out to me when trying to make the start of the Ex3 Systems chapter more coherent (re: pages of glossary at the start of the chapter, talking about rolls before explaining how to make them, etc).

Since difficulty isn't a penalty any more, it can't use the "at least one success on the roll" terminology from WoD that made it sorta-kinda work in a unified way before. I suspect the writers made that change to difficulty and then never thought again about the language involved.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Personally, I'm not fond of the "Charms aren't real in setting" thing. I understand they pretty much have to go that far to kill the 2e assumption of rules as physics, but it does take away some of the kung-fu charm of it.

(But then again, I liked motes as real things in setting, too, so I'm biased.)

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Kenlon posted:

Personally, I'm not fond of the "Charms aren't real in setting" thing. I understand they pretty much have to go that far to kill the 2e assumption of rules as physics, but it does take away some of the kung-fu charm of it.

The approach I like is basically "magical techniques and motes are more or less a real thing but don't literally map one to one to discrete points or specific items the character sheet".

It's like how you can measure about how many calories somebody burns while exercising, but that doesn't mean they're literally spending Calorie Points from their Calorie Pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ketrus
Oct 29, 2007

Stay the hell away from my circles.

Kenlon posted:

It goes hand in hand with killing combos. Your character no longer has to exercise strategy and effort trying to get his charms to work together nicely, they just do.

That said, I don't think their new setting snaps in half if you tweak that part of it, especially for Martial Arts charms. They still don't come naturally to any Exalt type, still require a tutor or dedicated effort to develop from scratch, and they still have picky rules for inter-style compatibility. There, the conceit still makes a lot of sense.

• Locked thread