Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Bardlebee posted:

The art is awesome, does anyone have information as to the history of these solars... I must admit I am not as deep in the reading material as most on these boards. Was Perfect Soul mentioned somewhere before the release of the art?

http://forums.white-wolf.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1635973#post1635973

quote:

Her name is Perfect Soul, and her Exaltation happens when she denounces the gods who have abandoned her and smashes a shrine to the Unconquered Sun in her fury. In that moment, he felt connected to her, for he knew what it was like to be betrayed and to turn his back.

quote:

...the Amirate of Jiara, where the new signature Zenith Perfect Soul (also heir to the Khidara Dynasty of Jiara) is waging a war to throw Mnemon out on her rear end

quote:

Prince Diamond’s far ride brings him to Jiara. He sees the war Perfect Soul is waging against House Mnemon and feels compelled. He believes that Jiara is possibly the last stop on his long and endless journey.

quote:

Jiara's leader is Perfect Soul, Twelfth Divine Amirah of the Khidara Dynasty.
Jiara features a blend of Persian and Mayan architecture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Seems one of the new Martial Arts styles in the 3E core will be about beating the poo poo out of people with a ladder. This I've gotta see.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Oligopsony posted:

Wasn't there a Jackie Chan-style MA all about smacking people around with improvised weapons, or am I making that up?

I dunno, everything I know about Exalted either comes from this thread, the developers, or Ferrinus.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Oligopsony posted:

I think it doubled stunt bonuses for descriptions involving excessive cruelty (which, not to bring the Issues From The Other Thread into here, is IMO an example of bringing in horrible poo poo the right way, since the exact expression of it is up to the player.)

I'd max my stunt every time through excessive cruelty to my fellow players with belabored yet perfunctory narration of every single action :twisted:

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Mexcillent posted:

There's lots of received crap about Lunars. I saw Winson Paine say earlier that without exaggeration the book is all rape and bestiality cover to cover when I seem to remember some not so great charms, bad character diversification advice (because of the crappiness of the charms and shapeshifting), and some ok stuff about Lunar anti-imperialism/"savagery" vs. "civilization" in Creation.

The takeaway I've gotten from hearing fans and developers talk about Lunars in past editions is that they're the one splat that's never gotten a fair shake, which is why there's that titanic homebrew rewrite of Lunars.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

Is that that first Lunars rape sidebar or the second? Because there were two, one sensible and the other terrible.

IIRC the sensible one was written by Malcolm Sheppard, who also posts here from time to time.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Thesaurasaurus posted:

There is a difference between "The Realm is corrupt and dissolute, and its time is at hand to make way for something better" and "Everyone should go back to living in caves, wiping their asses with their hands, and warring with their neighbors over basic necessities because CIVILIZATION MAKES YOU WEAK".

If I was playing Desus Ex I'd want a Tracer Tong option on the table too.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Mexcillent posted:

I can see the value of that but frankly it always did feel super constricting and a leftover from Werewolf in the worst way. Frankly, I'd be really happy with Lunar regional powers and Lunar frontiers against the Realm and no larger organizations than that.

At least until some enterprising heroes band together to create the Joint Dictatorship of-

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Mexcillent posted:

My issue is why you think Pocahontas fits.

How can there be so much that you don't know?

You~ don't~ know~

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Mexcillent posted:

I don't know gross racial stereotypes?

No, I was- it's not important

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Yeah, I love weird, unforeseen consequences and backfires when I undertake big projects. As a Storyteller I love throwing them at my players. Generally I prefer "poo poo gets weird" to "poo poo goes bad", because the latter usually ends up discouraging people from investing themselves into projects like that, which not only feels lovely, it also makes the game lamer as players hesitate to engage with it.

Exalted shouldn't be making a normative moral claim about the use of power qua power. The whole point of the origin story of the Exalted, from the Primordial War up through the Usurpation, is that it contains both a titanic triumph in which tyrants are cast down from their thrones in Heaven by the champions of the gods, who usher in a (literally!) golden age, and a tyrannical, decadent horrorshow that people need to messily destroy and then they futilely struggle to hold together the pieces while everything slowly rots. The myth within the myth is where we learn the premise of the game: that both of these things are possible.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Consider also that real world landscaping projects were not planned and carried out by divinely empowered super-engineers.

Wow, someone's never read Rand.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Oligopsony posted:

Everything good was made by Autochthon but everyone else was just a LOOTER who didn't appreciate his CREATIVE VISION well gently caress YOU the Great Maker is going off to HIS OWN PRIVATE REALITY FREE FROM YOUR MOOCHING and ohfuckgremlinismandwheredthesoulsgo

There was no Usurpation - the Solars just all went Galt.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

On another subject, here is an important reminder: in the current build of Exalted 3rd Edition, whether you know Martial Arts is completely unrelated to whether you know Martial Arts. That's because many Martial Arts don't require the practitioner to have any Martial Arts, while, conversely, each type of Exalt will have access to a tree of Charms that aren't part of the Martial Arts, but that require Martial Arts to use. So, while your character might be a Martial Artist, they might at the same time not be a Martial Artist, or vice versa.

I think they've mentioned that a Merit or something might allow you to use your Charms which require Martial Arts but aren't Martial Arts in conjunction with your Martial Arts that require Martial Arts, though I'd guess not in conjunction with your Martial Arts that don't require Martial Arts.

The more you make it sound like an Abbott and Costello routine the less I mind it.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

The 3e Kickstarter just passed Monte Cook's Numenera to be the biggest RPG Kickstarter ever. Good job, guys.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Word. Before this Kickstarter, I didn't know who Melissa Uran was, but her art was exactly what Exalted needed to get people fired up about it. It really helps to carry Novia Claro and Perfect Soul out of the 'Strong Female Character' ghetto and into the realm of women who women can genuinely think are badass. A ton of great people have and are going to continue to put a ton of great work into the Third Edition of Exalted, just like the authors of the past who built the core setting conceits that make it such a strong brand of RPGs.

Apart from that one thing I've been really impressed and enthused by the creative and technical work that's gone into this at every step of the process.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, but just imagine that looming over you though. You've spent years honing your Essence and your martial arts skill, mastering the pinnacle of grace and subtle power. You can walk into a room full of trained assassins armed with nothing but a scarf and walk away the victor.

Then it comes time for you to learn your style's final technique. This, your sifu tells you, is what you've been training towards...the supreme embodiment of the Dreaming Pearl Courtesan style. He asks you if you're read to begin.

And then he turns into a freaky-rear end seahorse monster. Holy poo poo. You were expecting some sort of incredible multi-parry that turns into grapples and lets you redirect a room full of attackers into hitting each other or something really sweet like that but nope, seahorse monster. Years of your life, building up to that.

The next day you go looking for a sword instructor.

It's like Scientology, by the time you learn how ridiculous what you've been building up to is, you're so far gone that it seems reasonable.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Plague of Hats posted:

I hope we can do better than that! I mean, stepping stones and all, but god drat.

I notice the White Wolf forums are as stable as ever.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I definitely want to play a sword and shield guy, or a sword-and-free-hand guy, who either clobbers people with the shield or makes brawl attacks to set up killing blows with the sword. It was one of the first things I thought of when I read Holden's summary of the new combat paradigm (the first was two swordmasters standing in a garden, staring each other down from sunrise to sunset, neither making a move until one sword is drawn and swung and the other swordmaster crumples to the ground)

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Yeah it's way harder to write for a setting where straight up resurrection is a thing, especially when you're concerned about giving the social/political implications of the world's magic any thought in your writing. This on top of the tendency on the part of players to treat every possible thing as commonplace, it's a way stronger creative decision for the kind of game they're trying to write if you can't really bring people back from the dead.

Exalted is all about doing impossible things, but in order for that to have any weight there have to be things that are impossible in the first place.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Valhawk posted:

Them doubling down like a bunch of unbelievably tone-deaf idiots was part of the whole "toxic-response" thing I mentioned.

I sort of assume at this point they're just gonna set the whole mess aside until they start gearing up for the Abyssals hardback.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Valhawk posted:

That's not nearly good enough, considering that last we heard they doubled down on it. So, none of my money for them, I guess.

Yeah, I don't blame you.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Mikan posted:

I don't know why you guys want the White Wolf forums back up, because the people posting there are awful. If they put up a "we'll never host White Wolf forums again" stretch goal I'd even consider backing the project.

Look man I just want to read more posts about why Homestuck is more epic than Gilgamesh. Is that so wrong?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

axelsoar posted:

It is a great tool, but honestly it was only needed because chargen in 2e was such a chore. I kinda hope it isn't needed for 3e, not all of us have a group where everyone has a laptop.

I'm hoping that we can get good chargen software and a system you can make a guy in with just a sheet and a #2 pencil. To compare to another game, the robust character builder was a great strength of D&D 4e. Having a system with so many tiny, pointless hooks that you need a robust character builder to check your math was probably its greatest weakness.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Oligopsony posted:

I think it's clear that they want a crunch-heavy game, unfortunately. It's not like there aren't a bunch of ports for lighter systems, though. (I might want to run something Cortex-based in the near future!)

You can do a crunch-heavy game without needing to track a bunch of fiddly little static modifiers and collate them together. If you stripped out feats and ability scores and the need for a magic item treadmill from D&D 4e, you'd still have a tremendously deep tactical combat system, but crucially you would not have tactical combat chargen where you need to spend time searching out, writing down, and tabulating a bunch of passive bonuses to make the math on your guy work right.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Yeah it was just kind of a goofy line. If we're gonna throw down over every goofy line in White Wolf chapter fiction, we're gonna be here a while.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Mikan posted:

Neph brought me into the industry, taught me a lot about design and got me hooked on writing RPGs so I both love and hate him.

Ah, so here we have the actual black mark on his record.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Dodge Charms posted:

It seemed to me that Arcane XP is a patch over the baseline human nWoD XP system, to compensate for some Mage-specific expenses (and to silo some XP to induce saving up for expensive stuff like Gnosis). In a game like nMage, where cross-splat games are explicitly supported and you might be playing next to baseline human Hunters or freaky Vampires or whatever, having this kind of patch is a fine decision.

In general, there's nothing wrong with building a silo-based XP system, but in this case -- from what little we've seen so far -- it looks to me like a patch to compensate for something, and that's a bit worrying, since I'd hoped Ex3 had the freedom to be clean from the start.

Hope that's clearer!

I think the goal is to silo off some XP for all the new toys that they're writing, like revamped Sorcery and Martial Arts and the new Evocation system, so people are encouraged to buy that stuff up. The thing I don't get is why they're adding in Attributes and Abilities to that mix. That's the thing that makes it come off less as Exalted Arcane XP and more as "Look, please, don't just buy nothing but regular charms. please. please I'm begging y-" XP.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

A_Raving_Loon posted:

XP silos themselves feel like a patch for realizing that some advancement option has been made so overpriced that no one goes anywhere near the giant point-sink.

I don't think it's a patch so much as an executive decision about what the game wants characters to look like in play. It's the same reason Storytellering chargen doesn't just give you a pile of stem cell dots and let you buy whatever.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Really most of the things I'd point to as missteps of the current developers are areas where they haven't been smugly confident enough that they could do better. A combination of timidity when trying to adapt past material (the Infernals preview, where they hid their much better idea behind a lamer one because they were afraid people wouldn't get it) and an attachment to legacy mechanics that are just really obviously goofy to someone who hasn't become attached to Exalted's specific way of doing things (a Martial Arts ability, a BP/XP divide).

And then there's that other thing.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Dodge Charms posted:

Could you remind me of the "much better idea" hidden in the Infernals preview?

The Infernals preview had the Reclamation as a long-form escape plan that would include a second wave of Infernals 2.0. People were like "hey, wait a second, that's super lame" and then they came back and admitted their original idea was a complete de-emphasis of the Yozi and the Reclamation as a plot to free them from Hell, putting the spotlight entirely on the Infernals themselves. This is way better and also actually in keeping with all the things they've said about the way Infernals were positioned in 2E was harmful to the setting.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Man, Dorothy looks pissed.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Kickstarter finished. Final total 4,368 backers, $684,755 in pledges.

That is a whole heck of a lot of money.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Oligopsony posted:

Personally, I'm hoping for lots of bikinis, spikes, and pouches.

On the swords?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

I'm looking forward to infernal exalted having bat wings and horns and stuff and no I'm not joking. Give me a skeletal abyssal also.

What color fire in their empty eye sockets?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Volfer's sword more resembles a piece of candy than a weapon.

Only insofar as it's freakin' sweet!!

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I'm hoping the book comes out tomorrow and they've just been teasing us this entire time.

Slightly Lions posted:

Yeah, are we going to get the QuickStart rules at the same time, or earlier?

I feel like they've said "the quickstart is there so you can get people playing without forcing them to comb through the whole corebook, not so you can start running the game before it's out".

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I find them strangely haunting, and seductive.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Personally, I think Solars suck and people who like Solars, up to and including line writers and developers, should be resented eternally. We Lunars have suffered at their hands for far too long!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

So the takeaway from this argument seems to be: people who don't think Solars are as cool as other splats resent that they're abstractly the strongest as a setting conceit, whereas people who enjoy that setting conceit are unimaginably tedious and lame.

• Locked thread