Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

Bedlamdan posted:

That's going to be removed completely, they said.

No it's not. They said that it will not have the same mechanics (or possibly no mechanics), but it will still exist. They have said that it is something that was a result of how Lunars were made instead of being a demand made by UCS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Mexcillent posted:

Have there been any mentions of hearthstones in E3?
Janest the Harvester's Scythe had Hearthstone sockets, so that's confirmation that they are in Ex3. But I don't think there has been any talk as to how they are going to function.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

I feel like tying Hearthstones to Manses is just not a great idea. I'd prefer they just be magical gems that maybe Demesne create through the accumulation of Essence over a long period of time or something.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

carborexic posted:

I'm not sure how to feel about this.

Well, if they can fit 9 (potentially 11) MA Styles in the Corebook, then it would make sense that they can fit more in the other splat books. So Abyssals will probably give us Hungry Ghost and Laughing Wound with Dark Messiah simply being Brawl charms.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

For those who didn't know already one of the people who got the MA pledge is leaving one of his choices for the fans to decide. Voting is going on here.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

PrinceRandom posted:

So have Holden and Hatewheel given up on us? I liked them coming here to talk before their colossal gently caress up...

Holden got banned. Morke stopped talking to us when the Abyssal Preview was released.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Nightskye posted:

Onyx Path should seriously set up some dedicated forums at this point, because it's clear whatever CCP underling is in charge of keeping white-wolf.com rolling seriously doesn't care. I don't get why they haven't-- the "forums" on their site are pretty much a joke.

I'll admit that I don't know much about the costs of running a forum, but does anyone have an idea what it might cost to run a forum the size of WW? Would they have to have their own servers, or could they pay to use a forum provider's servers?

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

quote:

At $575,000 of contributions, our EX3 Dev Team will collaborate to create the Official EX3 Anathema Character Management Toolkit. This free software has evolved and grown with the development of Exalted, but now it is our aim to collaborate with the Anathema team for an EX3 version that releases with EX3 itself.
Well that could be pretty cool.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Kenlon posted:

:buddy: I am on this like white on rice. Anathema made running 2E immeasurably easier.

I just hope they make it a lot more adaptable to house rules.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Are people just ignoring the fact that Smash Fists are a thing? That counts as a tool and can be used with brawling. Not to mention that the statement of armed > unarmed is not taking charms into account. I expect that with there being a large number of MA styles that each style will be able to deal well with a given situation (this could be reflected by tags or simply by the effects granted). Maybe there is a style that allows a person to deal with ranged attacks really well by emphasizing the fluidity of motion or something. The point is that straight up damage dealing capability being less than that of a melee person does not mean that the Unarmed character can't be far more versatile and able to handle any given situation with enough investment. And again, Smash Fists are one of those tools that make you stronger than an unequipped unarmed character.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

kthegreat posted:

Not to mention that the statement of armed > unarmed is not taking charms into account. I expect that with there being a large number of MA styles that each style will be able to deal well with a given situation (this could be reflected by tags or simply by the effects granted). Maybe there is a style that allows a person to deal with ranged attacks really well by emphasizing the fluidity of motion or something. The point is that straight up damage dealing capability being less than that of a melee person does not mean that the Unarmed character can't be far more versatile and able to handle any given situation with enough investment.

Heart Attacks posted:

Generally speaking, the theme has been, "With equal investment, unarmed loses to armed."

Also, "You can use smashfists!" is not any better than "You can use a sword!" for addressing people who want to play unarmed fighters!
Here, let me clarify the other point I was making in my post. Tool users are going to plateau after a certain amount of time. They are likely going to be decent at handling general combat and dealing damage, but they will likely not have a ton of charms or abilities to deal with people using specific fighting styles.

A MA user can invest potentially infinitely, and past a certain point their combat ability will exceed that of a tool user. This point is past the point where the tool user plateaus. MA requires more investment, but it ultimately is the stronger option in the end because of its versatility.

Now this is technically speculation, but it seems like it is going in this direction.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

GreenMetalSun posted:

Hey, did they ever explain/apologize for that whole rape Charms/fake apology/'we're sorry you were offended' thing?

I mean, I ultimately cancelled my pledge over it. I want to invest in 3E, but not so much if it's going to be gross.

I would assume that no apology is forthcoming despite what Morke may have said in a KS comment. If he does issue one, then that's great.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Nightskye posted:

I disagree there's nothing more to be said (there are absolutely some things Hatewheel could say), but I don't at all blame the other devs for not wanting to comment at this point, and I don't really think it's reasonable for the issue to chase them everywhere.
I feel like the only thing really left to be said is for Mørke to follow up on his statement that he would discuss the situation once the KS was over. That has yet to happen.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Bardlebee posted:

I would kill for some sort of graphic to show what chapters are done or how many chapters they are expecting and how far along they are to their final print. Anything man. :(

Instead its like "Were still working on this stuff, so... here is a picture though so there is that."

I'd guess the charm section is the least complete, and the intro and storyteller sections are probably most complete.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

For those whose only source of Exalted news is this thread:

Onyx Path Release Schedule, Aug 2013-Aug 2014

Ian W posted:

October 2013

Exalted Third Edition – The new edition of Exalted developed by the current team who have united and energized the fans, and featuring the return of original developer Geoff Grabowski; this edition will rekindle the original excitement of the setting, while the systems will be fine-tuned, balanced, and play tested more rigorously than any White Wolf product ever before. 400 pages. PDF/PoD /deluxe limited edition.

November 2013

EX3 – Arms of the Chosen – The definitive tome of artifact weapons and armor for the Exalted. Most importantly, Arms expands and develops the Evocation system to be introduced in the corebook. 64 pages. PDF/PoD

January 2014

EX3 – The Realm – Covering the Scarlet Empire in the current era, but unlike its predecessors, this book does not end at the shores of the Blessed Isle but also covers Realm satrapies in the Threshold and beyond. It will provide a deep exploration of Dragon-Blooded society and what it means to be a Dynast including a detailed look at the Houses and the Immaculate Philosophy, the beliefs and histories that guide the morality of the Realm and unite the Dragon-Blooded host against the avarice of the gods and the power of the Anathema. 160 pages. PDF/PoD

March 2014

EX3 – Dragon-Blooded: What Fire Has Wrought – This book introduces the Dragon-Blooded for the first time in Third Edition, including character creation rules and the Dragon-Blooded Charm set. This book will give an iconic view of the Dragon-Blooded, showing their creation as the armies of the Celestial Host and detailing their place in the current era. It will feature some further details of the Realm as well as Lookshy, and may feature other locales where Dragon-Blooded are prominent. 220 pages. PDF/PoD/deluxe limited edition.

April 2014

EX3 – Towers of the Mighty – A setting book for Exalted, Towers covers First Age ruins in Creation and beyond. It will cover classic favorites like Denandsor, Rathess and Mahalanka, but it will also cover places only glimpsed but never explained, such as Lost Zarlath. It will also feature completely new sites, including the Holy City of Namasaro, a city of shrines that chronicled the heritage of the Exalted, and the union of the Chosen who rose up to overthrow the titans. Towers will also feature an amped up and improved system for manse building. 64 pages. PDF/PoD

June 2014

EX3 – The Exigents – One of the most important new ideas for Third Edition is the introduction of new Exalts. These Exalts, known as the Exigents, take on themes and powers as diverse as the gods who create them. The corebook will blow the doors off the conception that there are no new Exalted; The Exigents will show the role of the new Exalted throughout history. It will feature a character creation system, a power matrix and a guide for the players to build their own custom Charm sets for whatever Exalted they feel like creating and adding to the setting while Exigents featured in the book will have fully finished Charm sets usable in game. 220 pages. PDF/PoD/ deluxe limited edition.

August 2014

EX3 – Different Skies – Different Skies is the first in a series of setting books intended to give players an infusion of setting information to flesh out their games and drive their storylines. The first part of the book features our core setting, the River Province. It depicts the River Province at the height of tension caused by the Realm’s temporary decline, the incursion of the Lunars, the appearance of the Mask of Winters and the return of the Solars and the Exigents. The second part of the book covers the War in the West. Like the first part of the book, the West also features a major Deathlord, but the Skullstone Archipelago goes through a fresh reinvention that will grip the hearts of the readers. This part of the book is essential for gamers who are looking for frontier adventure in a lawless land; the Western islands have been transformed into a locus for every kind of adventure imaginable, and the whole region is beset on one side by the Fae and the Realm on the other. 212 pages. PDF/PoD

So much for the theory that they would release the splats in the same order as last edition. It's anyone's guess as to the release order now. And my wallet is not looking pleased at the prospect of two more Deluxe KSs in the first half of 2014.

Edit:
Went WW Forum diving for your pleasure.

Holden posted:

I suspect Rich may have squinched the releases together unrealistically for the sake of getting more books on there for you guys to see.
Stay classy WW, not that I don't appreciate more book titles.

Holden posted:

Up until about a month ago, we still had both lethal soak and bashing soak as separate things. Then we decided it would make everyone’s life easier to just revert to one unified soak (Lethal and Bashing remain as damage types, but they only matter to your Health Track, not your armor). This necessitated combing through everything we’d already written to tweak it into compliance, redefining how Stamina interacted with soak, etc.

Other common occurrences are things like “we figured out that we want 3e Sidereal Charms to do THIS– so we really want a Solar Charm doing THAT to contrast styles and give them a hard counter.”

NIV3K fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 23, 2013

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Hugoon Chavez posted:

It's interesting that the first setting book is so far away from the core. Hopefully the later can provide enough setting material.

Well technically the first setting book is the Realm one, which is the third book. But that's only so useful to most games. And I'm one of those big Exalted fans who wants all the pretty Deluxe books, though I likely don't have the income for it.

Attorney at Funk posted:

That's an, uh, ambitious release schedule.

I can almost guarantee they will not meet it. At least with regards to the splat books.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Bardlebee posted:

Maybe I am missing something... but is the Werewolf special edition taking a full year to get to people?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/deluxe-werewolf-the-apocalypse-20th-anniversary-ed/posts?page=1

The kickstarter was done November 21st 2012. Its not year 2013 almost November again. Does this mean my Deluxe Exalted book with gold spinners will take until August 2014? :(

Hah, more like getting the PDF in August 2014 and the special editions in August 2015.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Mørke doesn't have cancer.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Bardlebee posted:

But does anyone besides the developers know what charm trees are done and which are still beginning? Which ones are in editing and which ones are still play testing?
I know this is from last page, but they haven't started play testing anything yet by normal definitions of play testing. The only thing they've done is a couple of games at conferences and shown material to some individuals who are supposed to try to break the charms. So the most people can hope for at this time is a game that isn't stupidly balanced. The final product could still not mesh well with the greater populace though. We won't know until they begin actual play testing, which who knows when that will be.

The real worrying part is that even if they do play testing it might be so late in the development cycle that any concerns that arise from it might not be able to impact the final product in any meaningful way. The reason this is really worrying is that there have already been multiple cases where the Devs showed us material that was either sub-par or awful (ex. Bonus XP that's only usable on MA). And when they realized how much the community hated this idea, they responded accordingly (well, sometimes). So what happens if when they start play testing a large number of concerns pop up? Are they going to do the responsible thing and address those concerns, even if that means delaying the product an even further indefinite period of time? Or will they ignore the concerns because it's too late in the development cycle and make only a token effort to address them?

Edit: Notice that there are a lot of hypotheticals in my post. The final product could just come out amazing, and I would love that if it happened. But why do the developers feel the need to ignore common practices that have been employed successfully by both the table top and video game industries to measure game quality and progress? Are they arrogant, incompetent, or something else?

NIV3K fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 29, 2013

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Holden: "Solar Brawl is close to being finished; Resistance is next, after which we can start phase 1 playtesting."

Well, that's another slow step forward for Ex3 once they get Resistance finished, which hopefully doesn't take too long. I wonder how they are going to decide who is in for the first phase of play testing. Maybe they will choose people from the old WW thread where Mørke asked for volunteers?

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Bardlebee posted:

Do they mean play testing resistance charms. Or do they mean playing testing "oh gee now were finished of everything, lets play test" kind of play testing? Because, I don't even think anyone knows what charms are left or which ones are all completed to be honest....

It would be nice to get any kind of detailed summary.

I feel like they are making a BLT sandwich over the internet, and describing it like "We are almost getting bread finished out, we have bacon and its in the process of being "bacony". Our lettuce is in Phase Crisp. Finally, you are going to LOVE the fact that we are using something other then tomatoes, but those aren't done yet either"

Just show us a picture of the sandwich!

It sounds like after Resistance they will be done with all the combat charms and therefore able to finalize the combat mechanics. At that point they will start general play testing with regards to combat. While that is going on they will keep working on the non-combat charms and probably hope to be done with those by the time the first combat play testing ends, so they can hand that material down to be play tested. Obviously this is just me guessing at what's going on.

The other question is how play testing is going to work. As in, how many waves of it and how inclusive each wave will be. Also, the best chance we have of ever seeing mechanics for this game before the PDF is released is probably after play testing has occurred, though that's probably still highly unlikely based on how things have already been.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Bedlamdan posted:

Also apparently I was just told that, no, Plague of Hats said that we shouldn't worry about how 3E is going to turn out, and said "No. Holden and Hatewheel are making a great game." This was admittedly a secondhand conversation on IRC so I'm sorry if Kukla is bullshitting and putting words in Plague's mouth.
Does this thread have an IRC channel, or was it one for the main Exalted forums?

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I understand why the Exalted crew didn't want to and don't have to discuss it, but it is a pretty big deal for those of us on this thread to see. Given we didn't get an official response, knowing there's been any response at all is pretty big news for us.

And the team just needs to put a gag on Holden, I used to have a lot of respect and faith in him as a writer, and now... and now... :sigh:

You'd think Holden would learn to keep his mouth closed when it came to obvious hot button subjects. After all, no matter what you say you are probably pissing someone off. But nope, he just keeps shoving his foot further and further down his throat.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Stephenls posted:

Am I really doing so badly?

For a person who hasn't had training in PR I think you've done reasonably alright.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

I'm curious what the NDAs will look like for play testers. I'd love it if once it starts we could get a better feel for how the game is turning out.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

Stephenls is a PR failure until such time as he convinces the devs to eliminate scaling XP costs and therefore the BP/XP chargen debacle.

I wonder why anyone even keeps XP around for point buy systems. I know it's anecdotal, but my group has always handled advancement by simply handing out upgrades (ability/attribute dots, charms, etc.) instead of XP. It felt far better since you didn't have to micromanage XP distribution. It also helped the ST manage the exact power of our group.

Though I already realized the answer in typing this post. Such a system would burden the ST more with managing advancement instead of letting players do as they want with their points. And it doesn't solve the disparity inherent in choosing optimal charms.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

I guess the big problem Stephen is that you are trying to be the PR guy for Exalted, which basically entails trying to clean up after Holden and John's messes. What Exalted really needs is a marketing guy that the developers would actually listen to.

I guess what my problem is is that it really feels like Ex3 is basically a glorified fan project. And that wouldn't be a problem if that's what they had advertised, but they didn't. This was advertised as an official tabletop industries development. That implies a sort of professional and mature attitude as shown by other WW and OPP developments, which is not what has been occurring.

Basically, I'm not happy that I was conned in to contributing to a fan project. I would likely have still contributed if I had known, but not nearly as much.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Monday Meeting Notes:

RichT posted:

- Exalted 3rd Edition: While John hunkers down to rewrite the Charms chapter he is also changing some of the ways he’s been doing these to enable more to get finished, the rest of the team is working on a couple of EX3 chapters that continue to be finalized for Editing: Resistance is down and the Devs are ready to do some playtests with some groups they have gotten to know these past couple of years. And then after that fine-tuning they’d like to go with a wider group of external playtesters. Both EX3 novels as well as Zub’s EX3 Comic are in progress, Zub’s script is done and cover elements are up for review, and the EX3 Music Suites are being scoped out- the music team is thinking of putting up their own video diaries documenting the creation of the EX3 Suites. Links when I have them.
Playtesting begins! Not sure if those who will be participating know they have already been chosen, but if not then keep an ear out in case Mørke wants to give you material.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

I think it would have sounded less weird if it was rerolling any 1's instead of 6's. That would be easier to remember as well.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

it would also make it way more powerful.

Rerolling ones means you'll never Botch, ever.

True, forgot that was a thing.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

I feel like almost everyone house ruled those training times to some extent. I feel like Ex3 would be better suited by having a more fiddly experience section. As in, have it have the ridiculous training times, but also have a section explaining how to best reduce those times or even remove them and how that might have an effect on your game.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

So, do we know how far the NDAs stretch for Play Testers? Obviously they can't share the actual Play Testing materials, but can they share their impressions and opinions about said material? Or is everything locked down tight? I guess this is basically directed at StephenLS or if anyone has seen answers to these questions on the other boards.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Do we have a SA IRC channel for Exalted or a more general one where Exalted goons hang out?

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Zereth posted:

Oh, I meant the mechanics in general. But the mechanics-in-chargen are going to be about as bad as always yeah.

As a playtester I can confirm that combat mechanics are better than 1E and 2E. However, there are still going to be people who don't like them. Combat is still fiddly and long. This is always going to be true as long as charms exist. The difference is that combat is now more fun than previous editions and there is no 2/7 perfect defense turtling and paranoia combat, which makes things more fun. Combat is more lethal than ever, but defense is more powerful to compensate. The trade off is that their respective increases in power are less absolute. Less perfect effects all around.

With regards to Character Generation and BP, that's still in so far. It's just as susceptible to optimization. It does seem a little less blatant about it though. Less "Why the gently caress would I ever spend that much BP on X". Can't really explain more without crossing NDA.

Haven't gotten anything else besides combat, so can't really talk further in those areas.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Stephenls posted:

For reasons just demonstrated, we'd prefer they not stretch this far. Commentary that, in context, seems like neutral statements or even mild praise can easily be offputting to those who lack context, and we're not prepared to reveal context yet.

I'm fine with taking the slap on the wrist and not saying anything more. But the fact is that I did provide the exact context necessary to understand my statement. Exalted is still using charms, and charms inherently complicate the system to a point that some people don't enjoy. They should not delude themselves that this will be any different. It's in the same vein as the fact that Ex3 is still using the ST system at its core and will therefore be prone to the flaws inherent in said system. These are facts that no amount of material can change because they are basic properties of the systems employed.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Stephenls posted:

Well that was certainly the most expensive PM I've ever sent.

Well, it was certainly appreciated, and now you can PM whoever you want!

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

I feel like part of the issue is that it's been very unclear how far along the Core Book truly is. The two Socialize charm previews were released more than a year ago now. At that time people felt that the book must be coming close to completion. After all, charms end up being one of the last concurrent parts written for the book since they need so many of the systems in place before they are written.

In truth, the book was nowhere near complete. Since then large portions of the charm section have been rewritten at least twice if not more. When people were telling them to put up previews of charms during the KS they couldn't because they had nothing to show.

People thought that the Ex3 KS was like other WW KSs in that the product was nearly complete and the only reason there was a KS was to find the Deluxe Edition. And while that is the stated goal of the KS, the book wasn't in a similar state of completion. The lack of transparency in the design process and progress for the entire haul has led to people feeling like this will never be released or that something is catastrophically wrong if it's taking this long.

Realize that a year ago we saw two Socialize Charms, and at this point we are now approaching the Social Influence play testing. That disparity is a large part of the issue.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

I think at this point it would be helpful to get people to layout their concerns for Ex3 in a concise fashion. People are actually play testing, so now is the time to reiterate in non-ranting fashion what you are worried about or would like to see. I know we have at least two play testers on here, so we could potentially raise any of these issues.

I'm not saying that all concerns listed will be addressed or raised, but Exalted has such an extensive history of things we want to avoid or fix that it might help to be clear about what issues we want addressed.

Basically, we have been going back and forth so long that it's not exactly clear what all the actual concerns are. Each side is guilty of picking pointless hills to die upon.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Bedlamdan posted:

I don't know what to say without overstepping the bounds of NDA except that I think that the "martial arts, martial arts, and martial arts" thing mentioned earlier in the thread really isn't an issue as of right now.

I would say it's under consideration with no clear sight as to how it will be resolved if at all.

Edit: One of my own concerns:

• I would like Craft to not be 5+ abilities under one name that I have to sink experience into to be competent.

NIV3K fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

tatankatonk posted:

When is the book coming out?

I'd hazard a guess that the earliest it could be released is April.

• Locked thread