Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Mexcillent posted:

How do Lunars not fit into Exalted? I mean...Enkidu.

The archetype of Enkidu/Wild man in the wastes etc fits the sort of setting Exalted is like a glove. The thing is, Lunars as a splat had a hard time fitting into the Exalted setting specifically, since their role was written as "Ran off to the edge of the world, do nothing of consequence for thousands of years." So they've tried multiple fixes for this issue, and 3E seems to be aiming for "Expand the map, include several lunar-run areas, make them historically active and rewrite the history so they have done and still do things."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I have wished Hearthstones were much more focused - I'd like to see them enhance the item they're socketed into, myself, and give new powers to weapons and armor instead of just granting random superpowers.

This seems like it'd be pretty easy with the new system for artifacts. "This Evocation is not usable without a hearthstone socketed" and maybe have hearthstones that add new Evocations to existing artifacts, or both.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

But is it going to be the same book with the Liminals in it? :ohdear: Do not make that book their Promethean wasteland.

By the sound of it, the new exalts who don't get hardbacks will get softbacks, so Liminals shouldn't be shoe-horned into the Abyssal book.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I realize suddenly, at the mention in that link of 'shield as weapon', that with the new simplified weapon categories+ keyword setup, and the whole momentum thing, a shield could just be a light or medium weapon with appropriate keywords, so you can play a sword and board dude who smashes someone in the face with his shield to open them up for a good stabbing. This makes me happy for no good reason.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Dodge Charms posted:

Jumping back to Liminals real quick: what's the in-world justification for people (and such) to keep trying resurrection, even though that has never worked even once in 10k+ years?

Or are those supposed to be the exceptions, and most Liminals come from people (and such) trying to make a Liminal? ("That Shadowland is really getting out of control, let's stitch us up a new sheriff!")

Could be several reasons:

Arrogance: "Just because no one's ever done it before doesn't mean I'll fail!" (This is probably the best motivation for Exalt-as-creator, really.)

Ignorance: I mean, you've got people who've never been outside their small kingdom or whatever, they may just not know that it's not possible. Not everyone knows the iron laws of the setting.

Grief: It's slightly implied that you don't really -need- the ritual. So you've got someone weeping their eyes out over the body of their child or spouse or etc, and making silent promises to whoever will listen. And then the Dark Mother does.

It's my body, dammit!: Similar to the above, only backwards. A freshly minted ghost with unfinished business keeps trying to animate his own corpse and walk it around, doing the same sort of thing. And then well, it comes back, only without the ghost in it. So now the ghost hangs around trying to convince the new person in his corpse to put right what he couldn't.

And so on.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'd love to see Jenna Moran concept and write but as far as rules design goes, her Exalted work tends to be a hot mess. Fair Folk was, frankly, an unfinished book, though I'm not sure if that's her or White Wolf that put it out that way. And astrology was just a mess, both overtly complex and game-breaking in the hands of a modestly creative player. The concepts behind both are pretty cool, but the actual rules implementation when she's involved seems to be a real headache.

From what I remember, Astrology was Grabowski, though- Moran just did the Charms in Sidereals 1E.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I keep sort of pondering some sort of 'broad skill' based solution, ala Feng Shui or the Wild Talents version of the Kerberos Club. If you have melee skill, you -also- roll it to fix and make melee weapons, and to know master duelists, either personally or by reputation, or to appraise someone else's sword style. Unfortunately I'm not sure it would work well with Exalted, exactly.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I'd probably give Twilight War (Because C'mon, Zhuge Liang is totally a twilight concept) and Dawn melee, but yeah.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Dawns are supposed to be the generals though, that's been a thing all the way since 1st Edition which didn't even have War as a skill, but that's a portrayal that's rather at odds with the whole "so they know ALL the ways to murder someone" shtick they inevitably get saddled with. 2E helped with War although mass combat was apparently a mess and I'm willing to bet that like 90% of Exalted games invariably boil down to a glowy, higher-powered version of D&D anyway.

Yeah, it's just that in a lot of the Wuxia and Fantasy China stuff that Exalted draws one side of its inspiration from, "Strategist" and "General" are different concepts entirely. Strategist: Weedy nerd who comes up with cunning plans and starts to explain them at the chapter break". General: Dude in charge on the field who implements said cunning plan, often dubiously despite having seen previous cunning plans work perfectly.

Also I think sadly '90 percent' is probably an underestimate.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Traps. Trenches. Barricades. Decoys. Demolitions.

All the ways one can gain advantage in a battle which are not "I hit the man".

For all the fiddly bits in Exalted's combat engine, it has never done much to encourage these sorts of indirect attacks with tangible benefits. Systems for creating and overcoming obstacles other than being stabbed in the face would create space for notfight skills to contribute to a fight without just making them straight substitutes for fight skills.

So something like Cortex+ Marvel? So you can use the non-fighty skills to create assets that aid in the fighting. (Give bonus dice, reduce defense, etc, etc.) I can see there being a design space for that, particularly since they've already said they've got plans to use talky actions in combat, for instance.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

realbrickwall posted:

I know how I would use this.

Step one: run through a door.
Step two: immediately turn corner and go up against the door frame so you can't be seen
Step three: stick the invisible blade into the doorway at about neck height
Step four: *awesome face*

An eternally-sharp blade certainly outclasses saran wrap.

-----------

The Exalted Facebook page is asking for names for a Ride Charm that prevents a Solar from being dismounted. I have a feeling that my idea, "Sticky Thighs of the Sun Method", will not make it into the game. Any of you have better ones?

I think Reign stole all the good ones here, looking at the Equine Unity spells.

So Exalted may be stuck with "gently caress it, I'm a centaur now" approach or something.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Double Cross style combo mechanics are the best combo mechanics, so it's good to see that seems to be the way it's headed.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Regarding the War Charms, is 3E actually going to fulfill my desire to play as Dynasty Warrior's Zhuge Liang/Sima Yi, aka genius strategists who can also take an army on by themselves?

If nothing else, the way they've described weapons working, it should be trivial to beat the poo poo out of people with a fan made of feathers, since it'll probably just be 'light weapon' with some appropriate tags on it.

(Sadly I have no idea on War charms, but after reading a lot of Outlaws on the Water Margin and, well, yeah, playing Dynasty Warriors/Warriors Orochi I feel like a lot of it should just straight up be "I use magic to reshape the battlefield to our advantage. "I foresaw this sudden downpour flooding the valley which is why I had the troops withdraw" "Suddenly the enemy camp is on fire", etc.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

MadcapViking posted:

I wholeheartedly concur with this change to Bigger Dog Methodology, and if that is not the "official" use, it will become a houserule in any game I run.

The only Dynasts that can withstand Battlepug are Water-blooded, for only they can withstand the tide of drool without being swept away.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Mostly, I just think that if there's a power that does a fun cosmetic thing but has little game-level impact, it shouldn't cost as much to get as something that does.

Like, say, you've got a power that surrounds your fist with disruptive soundwaves that let you smash through armor like it isn't even there. As part of the same "Sonic charms" powerset, you've got the ability to make the sound of any instrument come out of thin air. The latter should not cost as much as the former, since "I literally can create air guitars" isn't something likely to be as useful in a typical game session.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

theironjef posted:

Fine, whatever. If we could just de-racist the Japanese section by 30% that'd be nice. It's like the writers were thinking "Japanese gods, eh? Let's see, what are Japanese people into... anime and suicide. All set, next!"

Hey, let's be fair. Tsukiyomi almost redeems that section by himself with the idea that he bums around posing as a master chef to prove to the other gods that you can make good food without reverse vomiting it onto plates.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

Agreed. Now, excuse me while I roll to see how many experience points I get and then pick on some just-strong-enough passers by to regenerate my motes quickly.

Okay the first one is definitely dumb but your second point is veering into Bag of rats/Frank Trollman's rich elf farmers territory.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

It's not exactly consistent in NWOD 1E either. Like, corebook said the second example, the LARP rules went with the first. Assuming that fast reflexes doesn't have one dot or two dot versions, in which case they agreed that you had to buy dot one and dot two before dot 3.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

For that matter, 'flashback mid-fight to the training montage you did that no one previously knew about' is a time-honored trick.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The Sin Eater's niche is basically "The plot of any given episode of Medium or Ghost Whisperer, except instead of/in addition to psychic visions and talky ghost powers, they can possess monster trucks and haunt buildings.

So any given episode of Medium or Ghost Whisperer, or the movie Beetlejuice (You are playing Beetlejuice.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

Yeah, if the game rules were the physics engine that the world ran on, it'd be standard practice for smart militaries to abolish uniforms and make sure each soldier had their own discrete haircut, signature weapon, and backstory.

G.I. Joe in one sentence.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah, uh, Blue Book Changeling Breeds is: Phil Brucato, Jackie Cassada, Alexa Duncan and Elizabeth Jordan Leggett with Jeremy Duncan and Nathan Ballingrude

Who are a lot of old school White Wolf authors but I don't think they've any of them done much with NWOD.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Digging a little further, it looks like other than Brucato, of the NWOD Changing Breeds crew, only Cassada had worked on White Wolf stuff before. (And not since 2000, and not anything after.) Everyone else is apparently new to that book and have no other credits that I'm finding, though I think some of them had done Deliria stuff?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I kinda feel sorry for the Sardonyx (The new trinity/Scion system) dev team, since they're just quietly releasing their core mechanics for open development and it seems pretty interesting so far but it's been pretty much drowned out by how much is going wrong with Beast.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

What's sad is I don't think Far West is even the most delayed RPG kickstarter. (Say hello to Powerchords, which funded in September 2010 and they still haven't admitted it's not happening.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

And, coincidentally, Claws of the Wood Dragon specify that they're not compatible with MA.

Actually, they are in the backer PDF:

Wood Dragon Claws, c/p- posted:

They
are compatible with Martial Arts styles that use claw-type
weapons or rending strikes, such as Tiger style.

So not all MA, but a a lot of the cool ones.

And if it's your control spell, you can make evocations for them, so it seems like a good basis for a sorcerous working for martial arts artifact hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Rose Bailey's apparently posted that they've been aware of the deal for some time, but can't talk anymore at the moment. I imagine that means things are probably going to be okay at least for current products, since if they've been aware of it for awhile, why launch a new kickstarter if there was a chance the license would be pulled?

• Locked thread