Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So I wonder who'll be stress testing the system when they finally get all of the mechanics together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nessus posted:

Why in God's name would you want to save that horrible pit of despair and horror?

I shudder to think of what would happen were all of them were suddenly displaced and scattered to the winds like a poisonous mist.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
As for theories on the reason of decline, perhaps it might be in part due to the Law of Diminishment.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bigup DJ posted:

So I'm trying to do my own take on Exalted as a storygame and I want to know what you guys really really liked about Exalted and what you really hated. Most of all I want to know what you think it could have done better.

Where did Exalted go wrong? What made you want to play it despite all that?

Setting: Good
Charms: Okay
Mote Economies: Bad
Combat being a min-maxer's playground: Awful

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bigup DJ posted:

This doesn't have anything to do with the current topic of discussion but I'm working on my Exalted hack and I'm trying to figure out what Night Castes are about because I'm replacing Attributes and Abilities with Caste-stats.

Dawns are warmakers, Zeniths are messiahs and god-kings, Twilights are scholars and craftspeople, Eclipses are diplomats and brokers, but I'm not sure what Nights are supposed to be. Assassins? Criminals? I would have said spies but that feels like more of an Eclipse thing. I can see where Larceny and Stealth come in, but I'm less sure about Athletics and Awareness. What do those abilities have to do with the Night Caste?

In regards to the hack, here's what I've got so far. It's obviously incomplete but comments are always welcome!

Being a Ninja. Eclipse and Night can both be spies, but they way they approach spying are obviously very different. Think Rogue versus Bard.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

Which will bring on a thousand years of World of Darkness and release the Editors from their eternal Coffee-Break.

A thousand years? That's about 10 books, right?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Roadie posted:

No, no, not surfboards, flying kiteboards like that bear kid on TaleSpin.

No, not flying Kiteboards. Flying Daiklaves that have the shape of a surfboard and can be used in combat while ridden

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kenlon posted:

From looking at 3e, that doesn't seem to be the case. The 2e trap charms were pretty easy to see after having lived in that design space for so long, and 3e does not have those.

Exalted is crunchy. It's sorta the point of the game - there's plenty of things out there for good system-light games, but not so much out there with good crunch.

There are definitely some good crunch games out (like FantasyCraft), but they generally don't have a hook like Exalted does which puts it a step above the others. It would be interesting to see what the would come up with in terms of a simplified and streamlined Exalted. Alternatively, I can go back to figuring out how Legends of the Wulin works since it's a few steps from being a streamlined Exalted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mile'ionaha posted:

This is basically how REIGN works except replace Warstrider with Battle Magic.

Being able to call down meteors doesn't protect you from getting shanked by a ninja.

I feel like that's how D&D's "three pillars" should work instead of Magic beating everything

• Locked thread