Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Hahaha, that fuckin rules. "Its not gonna fit!" "I got this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What's up Coronet thread? I was just stepping out into the garage to visit the Coron... wait, why are your rear wheels on?

Why are you making furious engine noises at me?

Your brakes work? What is that bullshit, car? Is it because I used my tiny, tiny hands and easily breakable arms to fish a nut into the pedalbox mount while swearing loud enough to scare a horse?

Good thing those jackstands are still rendering you largely immobile. Who knows what you'd do if you got out of this garage, and, say, drove to autocross on September 7?

No fair. You didn't even take the engine out.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

No fair. You didn't even take the engine out.

That comes after the out of province inspection. Once it's legal, I'm going to strip it all down and tear the motor out during the winter.

Things we accomplished this Friday:
Brakes bled and functional.
Brake booster vacuum line tee-ed into existing lines, functional as far as we can tell.
Brake booster's final bolt placed, as switch said.
Brake pushrod adjusted to proper tension
License plate illuminator bulb replaced and functional.
Horn button fixed, relay replaced, horn now functional. (The ring is hosed, but I think I can weld that back to normalish).

I have pictures for some of that, but I'm camping in BC this week, will post once I get back.

All it needs now is a ghetto alignment, and a new muffler.

:getin:

Huge thanks again to seat safety switch for all his help. Best wrenching buddy a guy could ask for.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Let me help you with this local autocross video. The song came on the radio at exactly this point, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxJDPstQfkI

I think this is one of my new favorite autocross videos :allears:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Seriously though, congrats on getting it back together. I wish like hell I had someone to wrench with. Maybe I'll get lucky and my sister-in-law's new boyfriend won't be a total fuckhead.

If you ever get around to road tripping that thing, come down Chicago-way and say hi. Maybe by that time I'll have the Nova back on the ground.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Who knows what you'd do if you got out of this garage, and, say, drove to autocross on September 7?

I'd clean the poo poo out of the back of my wagon and chart a course for Red Deer.
(assuming my dental situation doesn't get fierce following the Terrible Tooth Stuff getting ripped out of my skull on Thursday)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

So last week before switch came over, I started on a couple of small things that needed doing. I took some pictures, but I was leaving for vacation and I didn't have time to post. That's also why there's no way I could make it to an autocross with it today.

As I said in my previous post, I replaced the horn relay. Turns out the button had been monkeyed with some time ago, because I saw this when I took it apart.

Those little washers should keep it from grounding out and honking the horn unless you're pushing on it. Two are kinda broken and one's totally missing having been replaced with a washer. I don't know what the gently caress that's about, but I tinkered with it a bit and got it to work the way it's supposed to. I'll be on the lookout for a replacement button or something. Maybe I'll just replace the whole steering wheel when I change the transmission, won't need that automatic shift linkage poo poo on there when I'm done, anyway.

We piped in the vacuum for the booster, routed it behind the engine. I moved it again today because I thought it was too close to the exhaust manifold.

List's getting shorter.

And that brings us to today:

Back on the ground for the first time in over a year, I think. gently caress.

Wow that is some serious toe-out. Might be hard to see here but it was more than half an inch out, which isn't bad for an initial eye-balling while it was still in the air. I got it pretty close with a pair of measuring tapes after this.

It wasn't very level, either.

I played with the torsion bar adjusters for awhile, set the height to within spec according to the service manual. Better.

WHERE DID CAR GO

Oh here it is.

So nice to drive it around a little. Lots of work left to do though.

Things I found after the test drive:

-Something is rubbing in the rear, I think it's the brakes. Need to loosen the e-brake cable and see if that clears it up.
-Still likes to stall when I hit the brakes and it's in gear. I think I just need to up the idle fuel mixture to fix this.
-I got the steering alignment wrong, I have to hold the wheel at about a 30' angle to the right to drive forward. It pulls to the right as well.
-Brakes seem pretty good, might adjust them a little more later.
-Pulls well with the new gear ratio!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man, you're not kidding. It really is low compared to before.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

drat that thing looks good. That ride height looks awesome :allears:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
You can set toe pretty well with a string and a decent scale. Look up string alignment on YouTube.

Car looks great! With the 440 and a manual it's going to be bitchin!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yep, that looks totally bitchin

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

mafoose posted:

You can set toe pretty well with a string and a decent scale. Look up string alignment on YouTube.

Car looks great! With the 440 and a manual it's going to be bitchin!

Would be good to put a bigger carbie on it as well

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Stance looks just about perfect. Any lower and you'll have to start thinking about rubbing in the front. As much as I don't care for mopar poo poo, this thing's going to be quite the hoot once you're done with it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's something just so right about slab-sided and low in combination with each other. Awesome progress.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Been following this thread since the beginning, it's awesome that you're so close to having it back on the road.

Fart Pipe posted:

Yep, that looks totally bitchin

Yup.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I won't lie. I'm super loving jealous you've got yours back on the ground and moving under its own power. I'll be spending some money in a couple weeks so I can get some poo poo rolling on the Nova. That beast gonna be up to a road trip to Chicago in the future?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

With a 440 don't you think you'll need a bit more rubber in the rear? You could handle a mini tub dude.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/body/hrdp_0903_diy_mini_tubbing_guide/

The car looks great so far.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Hey thanks guys, it felt great getting to that point, lots left to do though.

Leica: I'll consider it, I'm sure I can get more meat under there as is though.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I won't lie. I'm super loving jealous you've got yours back on the ground and moving under its own power. I'll be spending some money in a couple weeks so I can get some poo poo rolling on the Nova. That beast gonna be up to a road trip to Chicago in the future?

I was actually thinking of driving it down to Vegas sometime after it's painted and ready and all that. Maybe we could meet there, like a joining of the pacific railways type deal.

So, despite southern Alberta's crazy weather this week:

I did manage to get some poo poo done on the car. Specifically, I bought a muffler. Hey that sounds easy to change right? How hard can a muffler exchange be? Ahahahahahahahhahahahah

The old one was way too big for the car, the tail pipe was all bent under itself, folded up and screwed around. I had to cut the outlet pipe off it, and the inlet pipe was, uh, interesting. It also bumped on the ground because the hangers were so bad.

Why did I have to cut it? Well, it was welded, of course.

Holy poo poo was it ever welded. Seriously, that's almost impressive, in terms of the gap this guy was able to bridge with a mig gun hanging under a car.

But, of course, when I ordered the muffler, I measured the inlet and outlet sizes of the one that was on there. gently caress. Welp, screw it, I'm not taking back a fifty dollar muffler, screw that poo poo.

So I had to fabricate my own spacer. Luckily I had all these old tubes from the last muffler for scrap metal parts.

gently caress you, PO. That's right, I welded this with a lovely Chinese arc welder and a lot of blacksmithing tools. I seem to be doing a surprising amount of blacksmithing type work on this car, I'm not sure if it's a case of "when all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail" type deal or if it legitimately is a good way to go here...

I cleaned up the hangers, I had to modify one of them and I hate working on rusty bits if I can avoid it.

Gave the hangers a shot of zinc primer too, duplicolour's is yellow, who knew? It really doesn't matter though, these are only in it until the new motor goes in, as it will need a new exhaust.

I think I dicked around with this poo poo for nearly six hours today. I had to bend the pipe a couple times to get it all to line up back the way it should. poo poo is not easy.

But the muffler is in. And working good. Look at that shiny thing in amongst all that garbage.

That rear hanger is pretty threadbare too, but it'll hold for a few months.

Also, I found the source of the rubbing noise. Turns out the backing plates are just a tiny bit oversized for the inner diameter of the inside of the rear discs. I consider this to be a self solving problem and will live it for now.

I adjusted the carb's idle screws and it runs way, way better now. It doesn't stall going around corners or sitting still with the transmission engaged and the brake on.

gently caress yes, this thing is :siren:READY FOR INSPECTION:siren:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Your guts. I hate them.

At your pace, by the time you get it painted and finished, maybe I'll have my suspension done. :v: I should be getting the rear end assembly kit this week, so maybe I'll actually make some progress this weekend.

That muffler looks a lot like the temporary solution I had to rig up. Luckily I didn't have to cut through a mile of bullshit to get the old one off. It's currently attached via clamps, wire, and a soup can.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah, fortunately I was able to cobble that poo poo together and make it reasonable, I suppose. It's temporary until I get a custom stainless dual exhaust for the 440 :getin:

Also, I was poking around the back seat's creases and found these:

gently caress yeah, even better. Inspector'll love that.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Slung Blade posted:

Yeah, fortunately I was able to cobble that poo poo together and make it reasonable, I suppose. It's temporary until I get a custom stainless dual exhaust for the 440 :getin:

Oh yeah, that is giving me memories of 60s/70s cars my parents or friends owned. Getting 2nd degree burns from the seat belt latches or vinyl seats in summertime

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah there is no way we should take this hot rod back to Canadian Tire for inspection again.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm sensing some major jackassery here.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Slung Blade posted:

Nice! Shoulder belts in the front or laps only?

doogle
May 24, 2003

You Am I posted:

Oh yeah, that is giving me memories of 60s/70s cars my parents or friends owned. Getting 2nd degree burns from the seat belt latches or vinyl seats in summertime

While being blinded by the windshield wiper's glare!

edit:

I have a '67 Valiant... One day I want to do the same thing you're doing.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm sensing some major jackassery here.

They didn't even look to see if it had rear belts before failing it on that category. To be fair, the guy wrote "is it even supposed to have any?" on the notes they gave me (answer: maybe, they were optional). Also they stripped two wheelstuds not knowing that old mopars have reverse threaded lugs on one side. (I don't even remember which was on which side, so fair enough I guess. I replaced them with all standard threads now.)

The belts were loving BURIED back there though, I had a hard time getting my hands deep enough to get enough grip to yank them out. I guess I can't really fault them for just failing it in that category, not like it would have made any difference given the plethora of other issues it had.

Plus they couldn't start it when I went to pick it up, I had to do it for them. :v:

Boaz: laps all around. I bought some three points for the front seat, but man, it would just ruin the look of that B pillar-less roof line. I've been using the bag of new belts as my cold-start gas pedal weight so I can warm it up and get out and do something else.

You am I: going to see if my grandma is willing to knit me another blanket for the front seat like she did for the truck. All the more to camouflage it from The Man. And, you know, not have my butt stick to it forever.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

You Am I posted:

BACK OF MY LEGS

STICKING TO THE PLEATHERRRRR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbRsAu-qvsE

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Nice! Shoulder belts in the front or laps only?

Ahahahahaaa shoulder belts.

My '65 had no front seat belts

They were an option in '65

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 16, 2014

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

Slung Blade posted:

It's temporary until I get a custom stainless dual exhaust for the 440 :getin:

When it's exhaust time, I'd suggest seriously considering the TTI system - they don't offer it in stainless (I don't think...) but it's very, very nice; to get a nicer system custom bent/welded would be difficult, methinks. Maybe you're luckier where you are, but I couldn't find anyone within 500 miles (or frankly outside of CA) to do a really nice custom setup.

Unless, of course, you're planning something snazzy like a system with dumps in front of the wheels and electric cutouts -in which case custom is the way to go, and I can't wait to see it!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Kinda figured it'd be a no on the shoulders. Unless you're going full-retard and putting a bar and 4/5-points in, I'd say stick with the laps.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

Also they stripped two wheelstuds not knowing that old mopars have reverse threaded lugs on one side. (I don't even remember which was on which side, so fair enough I guess. I replaced them with all standard threads now.)
Left/drivers' side so that as the wheels turn they tighten the lugnuts instead of loosen them. I assume they got rid of that when torque wrenches became available and common.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Left/drivers' side so that as the wheels turn they tighten the lugnuts instead of loosen them. I assume they got rid of that because people are loving idiots and couldn't figure it out

Fixed that...

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Slung Blade posted:

The belts were loving BURIED back there though, I had a hard time getting my hands deep enough to get enough grip to yank them out. I guess I can't really fault them for just failing it in that category, not like it would have made any difference.
Same thing with my grandmothers ford cortina mk2, they were buried under the seat and my dad didn't even know, only a kids hand could reach in so far to find them originally.
Huge chunky buckle lap belts similar to that too. Ooh the vinyl seats and large metal hot latches, such a pleasant combo.
Oh well, ice creams on the beach at least when my grandmother took us out.

I'm devastated she sold that car about when I was 16 and I never even knew it was on the market. I would have bought it if I had known, and maybe I may have not ended up a rotorhead.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 16, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Fo3 posted:

Same thing with my grandmothers ford cortina mk2, they were buried under the seat and my dad didn't even know, only a kids hand could reach in so far to find them originally.
Huge chunky buckle lap belts similar to that too. Ooh the vinyl seats and large metal hot latches, such a pleasant combo.
Oh well, ice creams on the beach at least when my grandmother took us out.

I'm devastated she sold that car about when I was 16 and I never even knew it was on the market. I would have bought it if I had known, and maybe I may have not ended up a rotorhead.

Holy gently caress I would beat the poo poo out of a Cortina until it grew arms, a mouth and ears in order to call the police. Even a four door wouldn't be safe from my right foot.

Maybe I should go on a European vacation where I just drive retro Fords, and also become a billionaire so I can have a Mk2 Escort.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Slung Blade posted:

I bought some three points for the front seat, but man, it would just ruin the look of that B pillar-less roof line.

I seem to remember shoulder belts on these older cars were something that you could hook on to the lap belt buckle, and it had clips to hook the shoulder part up to the headliner if you didn't want it. Like it didn't retract, it had a simple adjustment.

Maybe something like that would work so you can shoulder it for safety, then put it up for shows and display to keep the sexy window hole.

That or do it convertible style, and have the third mounting point at the top of the B pillar, so it never enters the window area. That is, if there is a way to mount it there.

I just hate the idea of bouncing my face off the steering wheel in a wreck.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Holy gently caress I would beat the poo poo out of a Cortina until it grew arms, a mouth and ears in order to call the police. Even a four door wouldn't be safe from my right foot.

Maybe I should go on a European vacation where I just drive retro Fords, and also become a billionaire so I can have a Mk2 Escort.
I know.
My grandmother had that mk2 (4 dr ie 440), I had a mate with a mk1 corty 2 door, even my girlfriend when I met her had a mk2 escort with wood panelling and bullshit on the dash and all that british stuff because it was a ghia.
I was dumb and didn't even care for them because rotors. I wonder how life would have been different if I got that corty off my grandmother rather than follow my mate with his rx4 and buy an rx3 as my first car... The 80s and 90s truly were the golden age as long as you weren't buying anything NEW.

Sorry slung blade. Nice car and thread, mainly following it myself because how similar valiants were in Australia.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 16, 2014

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

LloydDobler posted:

I seem to remember shoulder belts on these older cars were something that you could hook on to the lap belt buckle, and it had clips to hook the shoulder part up to the headliner if you didn't want it. Like it didn't retract, it had a simple adjustment.

Maybe something like that would work so you can shoulder it for safety, then put it up for shows and display to keep the sexy window hole.

That or do it convertible style, and have the third mounting point at the top of the B pillar, so it never enters the window area. That is, if there is a way to mount it there.

I just hate the idea of bouncing my face off the steering wheel in a wreck.

About to pick up a set for my International actually: https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/seatbelts-and-accessories/3-pt-non-retractable/m.products/26/view/18

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

No pictures tonight, was working too hard and we're running short of daylight this time of year.

Couple things:
1, the car handles the highway just fine. I got a temporary registration so I could drive it to town for an alignment and an inspection, and I needed to take it for a couple tests on the highway by my house to see if I would die on the way in. Everything seemed ok...

2, I couldn't get the paperwork for an inspection tonight, I have to go to Canada Customs to get them to unfuck their paperwork. When the car was originally imported, they copied off of the Montana DMV registration, which had an impossible extra digit in it on the forms, no one at CC even checked the plate. Hopefully I can get that sorted out tomorrow, run back to the registry, get an RFI, get back to the mechanic's, get the inspection done, and run back to the registry to complete the paperwork and get it plated.

3, I was worried about the speedometer and how it's going to be totally wrong since I replaced the rear end's gear ratio and didn't touch the transmission's speedo gear. Turns out, the changed ratio almost brings it in line with dial as if it were in kilometers per hour instead of miles, which is amazingly fortuitous. Provided they don't go to highway speeds where it reads about 15 under (checked using a gps speedometer on my phone) they probably won't notice. I hope.

4, I finally put in the little bolts that hold the outrigger supports on the front fenders. So at least those won't flop around anymore.

5, I vacuumed out the interior and the trunk. Whole lot more mouse poo poo than I was expecting, here's hoping I don't get turbo-hantavirus. Also, I found a loving battery tie down in the trunk, ahahahah gently caress. Pulled out the old spare "tire", which was more like a party favour at a 6 year old's birthday that it was a tire, put in the new one, and secured it in place. Tidied up and arranged poo poo nicely in there too.

6, pulled out the other back seat safety belt. I will loving murder a bitch if I ever find who did that, that was seriously one the hardest things I've had to do to this car in terms of physical exertion.

7, Cleaned the glass, looks fuckin SO much better with panels I can see through. Unclogged the driver side squirter AGAIN, no idea what's causing that thing to gunk up.

8, last post, I forgot to tell you about the salamander. When I was tightening the bolts on the hangers for the tailpipe, my ratchet was resonating in the pipe, and after every turn a little salamander somewhere in my front yard would respond with a similar sound, I think he/she was getting sexually excited by it :3:

9, I am going to drive this thing 70-150 kilometers tomorrow, farther in one day than it's moved in probably the last 10 years combined. Wish me luck.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
For your speedometer issue, is there no way to calibrate it? I know nothing about mopars, but GM stuff (e.g. TH400) have a little gear in the speedo drive that you can replace with a different tooth count to get it closer to right.

Also, if I remember the CDC report right, the hantavirus dies relatively quickly, so if the poop has been there (sans mouse) this whole time it's probably inert.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Raluek posted:

For your speedometer issue, is there no way to calibrate it? I know nothing about mopars, but GM stuff (e.g. TH400) have a little gear in the speedo drive that you can replace with a different tooth count to get it closer to right.

Also, if I remember the CDC report right, the hantavirus dies relatively quickly, so if the poop has been there (sans mouse) this whole time it's probably inert.

There is, but to my understanding you have to drop the tranny to replace the speedo gear. Way, way more effort than I am willing to go to for something that I will be replacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

Slung Blade posted:

There is, but to my understanding you have to drop the tranny to replace the speedo gear. Way, way more effort than I am willing to go to for something that I will be replacing.

Nah, it's a little bolt that holds a retainer, then you just yank out the doodad that holds the plastic gear. If you can't get the right gear, there are mechanical ratio adjusters that can be installed in line with the speedo cable, too...

And it's way too late now, but just popping out the lower rear seat cushion makes fetching lost seat belts way easier - hop in the rear footwell, and push firmly(!) back on the lower edge of the seat, and then lift up. Do this on each side, and the cushion will be released. Then you can vacuum out more crap, and easily reach the belts!

• Locked thread