Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

ante posted:

Can someone summarize the last decade of thread for me please?!

Nothing of value was found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ante posted:

The guy two posts up did it. People found Boston and probably New Orleans but it was shattered and it’s tough to say 100%. Boston was found though.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

BigFactory posted:

The guy two posts up did it. People found Boston and probably New Orleans but it was shattered and it’s tough to say 100%. Boston was found though.

The people who say Boston wasn't found... I really don't get it. The solve was good... the casque thing seemed to be found. I don't... get the naysaying whatsoever. Therefore it's become nearly impossible to care on any level anymore.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ante posted:

A few flurries of actual discussion, a minority of it rational, and 12 years of people thinking they're funny when they revive the dead thread to announce that the real treasure was up their own rear end all along or whatever.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is the Houston one even worth trying to dig for anymore?

There's been like 3 major hurricanes over that area in the 10 years since I last looked.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

homullus posted:

A few flurries of actual discussion, a minority of it rational, and 12 years of people thinking they're funny when they revive the dead thread to announce that the real treasure was up their own rear end all along or whatever.

You forgot the wrist injury.

Is this the last active thread that was originally posted in GBS 1.0?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
So did we solve it?

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

homullus posted:

... well, was it?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

EconDad posted:

... well, was it?

The real treasure was the friends we got to look up our rear end along the way.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

EconDad posted:

... well, was it?

I'm not going to risk my wrists checking asses

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
This thread rules

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

homullus posted:

I'm not going to risk my wrists checking asses

thems diggin' wrists

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

thanks for the updat urbansmurf. thanks for the funny posts everyone else. threads like this are what i love about SA and make me hope it carries on

its in MY rear end

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I solved all the other riddles and dug up all the boxes last week, so you guys can stop looking.

No I won't take pictures.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.

Rondette posted:

Nothing of value was found.

Do you buy the Boston digsite location mate?

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Has anyone tried digging here

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Friend posted:

Has anyone tried digging here

Genius!

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

(Walks into the thread, empties a large box of dirt, pottery shards, rocks and wood, glass and quartz fragments onto the table.)

ALL REMAINING PUZZLES, SOLVED!!!

(Hey, most of the not-already-found boxes have been mashed to the smeg by earth moving equipment by now, you can't expect pristine.)

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BigBadSteve posted:

(Hey, most of the not-already-found boxes have been mashed to the smeg by earth moving equipment by now, you can't expect pristine.)

Assuming people are right about where the Houston cask is buried, this is not entirely unlikely. Hell it might not have survived the 90s, or possibly made it TO the 90s.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Wasn't Charleston determined to be in Ft. Sumter, where digging for buried casks is a federal crime now?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The X-man cometh posted:

Wasn't Charleston determined to be in Ft. Sumter, where digging for buried casks is a federal crime now?

One of the clues in the picture for Cask 2 suggests Fort Sumter might be a landmark, but no it probably isn't actually buried there. Preiss would've gotten in deep poo poo if he'd tried to do that.

Did anyone ever come up with a solve for Cask 2 or figure out which verse it went with?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

ante posted:

A key high point in the hilarity of this hunt happened after it was featured on a popular TV show. I tried to summarize it, here:

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/crazy-treasure-hunt/

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Drunk Nerds posted:

A key high point in the hilarity of this hunt happened after it was featured on a popular TV show. I tried to summarize it, here:

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/crazy-treasure-hunt/

There's a main page?

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Some goon broke his wrist and never returned lol

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Treecko posted:

Some goon broke his wrist and never returned lol

And that goon... that nobody liked... was named...

*gasps*

TEDDY ROOSEVELT?!?!

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
did we find all the casques yet?

Excellent! case closed!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

no not yet

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
Me posting here got me back on the Wiki for a little bit 'ere, for the first time in awhile.

I had a thought -- that I hadn't had before, and I'm not sure I've seen it written before, although I'm sure it's been said.

Through all of this puzzle solving -- people are assuming both Priess and Palencar are perfect, and make no errors.

But... in reality, at least these things could have happened anywhere.

1. Priess makes an error originally be it with what he writes, "researches", maps, whatever.
2. Priess makes an error in relaying info to Palencar. (like a bad game of telephone)
3. Palencar makes an error in receiving info from Priess (telephone game issues again)
4. Palencar makes an error in his paintings, even given proper info.

All of the solutions seem to find these two people to be error-free, and almost superhuman in their ability to make no errors.

Just something to think about perhaps...

----
P.S. I'm looking at the San Francisco "proposed solution" on the Wiki and I'm astonished at how convuluted this has become. The "flipping the map horizontally" and then "switching the hands on the picture" and then ... inserting the blue blocks into the map. It all seems impossibly convuluted and therefore, wrong. It has to be simpler.

EconDad fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 11, 2023

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I sprained my wrist on this thread, I probably would have found a cask otherwise.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The wiki link in the OP seems to be broken again. http://secretwiki.tomburns.net/

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Help I broke my wrist!!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I prefer to think the wrist was the break we made along the way.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I watched the Expedition Unknown episode where they solved Cask 11 and apparently Preiss's family either got new gemstones to award people for solving the puzzles or salvaged the original ones when/after they got sold at auction.

So the jewels are back.

I admit I still gently caress with the idea of finding a piece of the Houston cask, but I don't think Houston has ever kept great maintenance records on their public spaces and Christ knows how much underground utility work Hermann Park in particular has gone through since 1982. Not to mention hurricanes.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 29, 2023

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Can't believe this got bumped with no proof that Urban Smurf was dug up hiding on a copy of Preisses book.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

writeup coming soon

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

treasure bear posted:

writeup coming soon

Glad to hear we solved it.

FelchTragedy
Jul 2, 2002

FelchTragedy.
Internet, I call forth your power!
Let's T_Roll.

I. M. Gei posted:

I watched the Expedition Unknown episode where they solved Cask 11 and apparently Preiss's family either got new gemstones to award people for solving the puzzles or salvaged the original ones when/after they got sold at auction.

So the jewels are back.

I admit I still gently caress with the idea of finding a piece of the Houston cask, but I don't think Houston has ever kept great maintenance records on their public spaces and Christ knows how much underground utility work Hermann Park in particular has gone through since 1982. Not to mention hurricanes.

There was a solve that was decide on by the casque awardee that I have yet to see. It will be terrible when I find it as I know snippets. 0% score from me for being fundamentally wrong.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Grab a shovel and go fish

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

urbansmurf for president

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Cactus Ghost posted:

urbansmurf for president