Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

I. M. Gei posted:

The what?

Bro this is probably when you should've stopped typing. It's been said hundreds of times now that Preiss wasn't a genius at making clues. I highly doubt he tried to incorporate anything Japanese in any of these hunts. This book came out in loving 1982 and hardly anyone reading it could've cracked that kinda poo poo back then.

I assume (after the most cursory possible google search) that they're referring to the hints incorporated in the Japanese edition of the book. Preiss apparently was in contact with the translator, who asked for hints during a phone call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curlingiron
Dec 15, 2006

b l o o p

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Did a quick Google, the Japanese edition came out a year after the original American one. Looks like it was published by Bantam, who's a Big 5 subsidiary, so it's likely if the book did really well, Bantam was like "what other markets can we launch this on? We already own it!". If you were really tenacious you could probably ask the localization team who worked at Bantam/Futami-shobo (the Japanese imprint) what the hints were I guess!

I'm helping in my limited capacity! :shobon:

edit: gramarye

It looks like there's a pdf of the English translation online, although it's obviously not official. It also sounds like some of the hint section was just the (Japanese) translator speculating on what Preiss meant by them, so who knows how accurate any of it is.