Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

MeLKoR posted:

Maybe it's an obvious place once you get within a few meters of it, I mean two of them were found.

I just started geocaching, and even with exact GPS coordinates it can still be extremely hard to locate something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

CHARLESTON

1) The pattern on the lion's forehead. This looks like a coastal/river map but I can't make it match up with anything in google maps. Part of the problem may be that the coastlines may look really different at high and low tide.

As another goon suggested, try using an Atlas instead of a satellite image. That's what the artist in the 80's would have used.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Deteriorata posted:

Also, I think the blue circles refer to trees in a park somewhere. Note how many of them cross the vertical line, as overhanging branches would. One of them is highlighted, probably indicating where to dig. The appropriate verse will get us to that particular spot.

I'm going to nay-say your theory here, because trees change all the time from storms/age. It would also be very difficult to find one tree in a forest from this picture. None of the other casks found had anything like this necessary to solve them.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

OMG BYZANTIUM posted:

This is probably totally wrong, but does anyone think the "New York" image does not show New York? Ever since I saw the water at the bottom, I immediately thought of Buffalo and Niagara Falls. The face bears some resemblance to the Statue of Liberty's Face, but the hair and the pose are totally different. Maybe that would be too obvious, though.

When I saw the earlier post saying it resembles a statute of Artemis that used to be in Buffalo, I just had to share my theory. Alternatively, does anyone know a place with waterfalls or rapids near New York City (or maybe its a giant wave at a beach?) The water at the bottom is specifically drawn to be flowing and frothing. It has to have some significance.

I've been thinking of this as well. He used the outline of Ohio in one of the casks that were found, maybe the Statue of Liberty's face is just to get you to New York state. The outline of the dress does not really strike me as the outline of Manhattan, even with subway maps.

I think finding the numbers for Buffalo's lat/long would help confirm this theory. 42.8N/78.8W

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 12, 2013

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I had a dream last night that you guys found a cask. I guess I've been bitten by the bug as well. I only wish I lived closer than 4 hours to the one closest to me (Charleston) so I could assist in helping.

This thread has become easier to read once I put a few select people on "ignore" status. There is a lot of good work being done here, mostly by people on the ground who are seeing what Preiss would have seen. I hope some digging starts happening soon, and that we unearth at least a couple of these damned things.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

PunkNickel posted:

My dreams at night are getting to be weird ones of running, always running, and looking for casks. I'm going to end up with brain mush soon if we don't get a cask out of the ground.

I've had 3 or 4 dreams over the past week or so about finding a cask. It's always that I'm nearby, with a walkie-talkie when I get the call that they've found something. Then I run over and they are pulling the box out of the ground and pulling the cask out. Crazy stuff, I've been reading this thread for too long.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Cosmik Debris posted:

Los Angeles has literally nothing to do with spain, and there's a pretty prominant spanish conquistador there. Florida is really the only US state with a strong connection to spain.

Cleveland has almost nothing to do with Greece, and yet...

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I wasn't arguing with the conclusions, just the logic. We can't dismiss something because _____ has nothing to do with ______.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
The whole "Isle of B" being the Girl in the Wetsuit sounds like a stretch to me. Who would call that the Isle of B?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Cask 12 - NYC

All those signs point towards Ellis Island as the start. The outline of the dock area fits, the Statue of Liberty fits, the bird head fits. Let's assume the starting point and look at the verse.

In the shadow
Of the grey giant

NYC could easily be called the grey giant.

Find the arm that
Extends over the slender path

There is a bridge that takes you to Ellis Island from the Jersey side.

In summer
You'll often hear a whirring sound

Possibly boats nearby, could also be planes or helicopters. Not 100% sure.

Cars abound
See the pic.

Although the sign
Nearby
Speaks of Indies native

Here's where I need feet on the ground.
There is a monument to Columbus, who would possibly be the Indies native.

The natives still speak
Of him of Hard word in 3 Vols.

The monument to Columbus has 3 tiers.
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&...2,95.89,,0,0.12

Take twice as many east steps as the hour
Or more
From the middle of one branch
Of the v
Look down
And see simple roots
In rhapsodic man's soil
Or gaze north
Toward the isle of B.

If this theory has any merit (starting at Ellis Island and going from there) then I think the rest will make sense once we know we're homing in on it.

edit: The Columbus monument is a bust, it was erected in 1999.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 5, 2013

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Thanks for finding out about that bridge, it has saved me a trip to NYC and a huge fine for digging up a park.
But seriously, Ellis Island has a lot of imagery in that picture. I hope that someone is able to get somewhere with that image.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I think they are on every corner of the central tower, not in a single spot.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
For what it's worth, the only kind of wingless birds I could think of were blimps and rockets. Technically, they have small wings but now the kind that generate lift.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

rookhunter posted:

Helicopters

Helicopters have lots of wings, they just spin around in circles to generate lift and provide turning.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Urban Smurf posted:

Cask 1

and I noticed the view from the postcard pictures of the Palace of the Legion of Honor have a shape that matches the curved area between the reversed Gh to the shape of the Golden Gate Bridge.

This might be a good indication that the Palace is an important place to focus on for finding the cask.

It looks more like a Torii to me.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Urban Smurf posted:

Cask 3 Mirlo Beach @ Rodanthe

I've never seen very good evidence to support the Roanoke based theory(ies). Someone said there's a plaque with verbatim from the verse and there's exact images, but I've never seen them brought to light in a distinct and method based way which would fit either a Chicago or Cleveland style solve.

What about the part "the land near the window" which very closely resembles the outline of Roanoke Island? I'm starting to consider taking the 5+ hour road trip to Roanoke Island in a couple of weeks to see if I can piece together the end of the riddle. I'm thinking it very well should be near that Sea Gate or in the general vicinity.

I'm not sure if/how it relates, but John White was a colonist and artist who did watercolors of the settlement. Could "Where White is in Color" have something to do with that?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_White_%28colonist_and_artist%29

More information on White. He apparently also made the first maps of the area (also, in color):
http://www.nps.gov/fora/historyculture/hariotandwhite.htm

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 17, 2013

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Urban Smurf posted:

On the subject of crazy theories, its just a phrase to mark the atypical approach. The verses and images are crazy to begin with. The trouble with normal is it missed the point. If you arent making one assumption then youre making another. The Secret is the Sun and we are stuck leaping upon shadows. There will be a direct path to each solution, but it wont be without discovery of some fantastic underpinnings that look crazy from the start.

I personally think that your crazy theories are muddying the waters. You seem very sure of the location of most of these, why not book a trip to the one you are most certain about and dig it up? People will be much more likely to listen to you if you can back up your crazy theory with a find.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

I'm new to this thread but I checked the wiki and I sincerely hope I'm not posting on a dragon = Chinatown level.

Looking at the image for Cask 6, it strikes me that the outline of the rock the conquistador is standing on is awfully detailed for just suggesting Florida with its negative space (and really doesn't match very well, plus it suggests the wrong side of Florida), and that the outline of the right side really makes me think of a detailed water boundary, like a riverbank or a coast. I looked at the maps of parks around St. Augustine, FL, and I'm struck by what a strong resemblance it bears to the bank of the St. John's River at the Bayard Point Conservation Area. If you look at this trail map (pdf), the bright blue jewel of the picture would be at about the East Trailhead entrance, wouldn't it?

Don't forget that there is a pretty obvious outline of Virginia in the lower right corner. It may not be in Florida at all.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Cosmik Debris posted:

I would caution you against seeing that as an intentional outline of virginia. If it is then its very poorly done. It's missing the eastern "hook" of virginia that juts up into West virginia and kentucky, and the dip in the same eastern border where West virginia sticks down into virginia a bit.

The outline of Ohio from one of the solved puzzles was pretty spot on as far as shape and size goes, so I doubt this is intended to be virginia, especially considering the other side of the tree also forms a fairly accurate representation of tennessee as well; I doubt either is intentional. There's 50 states and if you pick a random shape there's a good chance it will be close to the outline of at least one state. As far as I remember there was a good deal of discussion on whether the outline of illinois from the chicago puzzle was intentional or not.

Go back and look at the Cleveland cask and compare the Ohio in the painting with the actual map. It's not perfect, and an entire eastern section of the state is covered by the pillar. In my opinion, the outline of Virginia in this picture is just as obvious.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

[quote="einTier" post="419853381"]

Perhaps he did mean it to be very imprecise. Still, Houston's coordinates are 29.7628° N, 95.3831° W, and while we can find 95 (and 96!) easily in the Arabian image, we cannot find 29 at all. We do find 30, but that's not technically Houston's latitude. I'm wondering if there's something we're missing here and the latitude and longitude numbers couldn't point us in a much more general area. Even in 1982, with the right maps it wouldn't be unheard of to be accurate to the first or even second decimal.

In the case of Houston, defining a box by the second decimal still results in an area about 2000 feet on a side. As an example, that's big enough to include most of Hermann Park or any of the other parks we've discussed.

Think of the numbers as framing the longitude and latitude rather than being degrees before and after the decimal.

Houston's latitude could be rounded up to 30. Either way, those pillars are unmistakeable.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

einTier posted:

Unmistakable? How so? Some have said they're from the Children's Zoo -- and there were some posts there that looked like that. I've argued they look like the Tranquility Park pillars, but I'm not too sure of that now.

What was trying to say in that long, rambling stream-of-consciousness post is that maybe there are four numbers in every image, and combined in the right way, get you very close to the park where the cask is buried.

You're right; I used the wrong words. I think that the pillars looked very convincing, but it could just be a coincidence.

Preiss wasn't some genius when he did these puzzles, he probably was intentionally vague to make the search last longer than a month or so. I think he ended up making a treasure hunt that is virtually unsolveable, especially after years and renovations have changed things so much.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Urban Smurf posted:

I havent worked out the theory completely, but I recently learned the fortune cookie did have its beginning in SF. Ive been coonsidering some tie ins with the "pearls of wisdom" inside those cookies along with the idea that when its time to pay for your meal, thats when the cookie comes to the table. Essentially the asian woman is a fortune teller. Twain was also known for his pearls of wisdom in the form of quips and quotes. Im still putting this together, but Im confident the old cypress trees near the end of the bench at Lands End match the womans folded arms.

There is no way that anyone would use trees like that for a treasure hunt like this. Trees are constantly growing, changing, falling over, dying of disease, and being cut down. Preiss used landmarks, statues, etc. that should be static.

You're simply seeing things that don't exist.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Drunk Nerds posted:

Okay so i spent a few hours with my SF native friends . Sorry to say we have no new lead breaks... Yet. But i do feel i have something to offer.
So much fun! Glad to be working on this, thanks!

I'm not joking when I say that this post was one of the best I've seen here about narrowing down a location. It's well thought out and does not try to shoehorn pet theories to make things fit.

Well done! I think you and your friends have the best shot at finding one of these.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

demonachizer posted:

I forgot about this thread. Now that it is GBS 2.1, I would like to take the opportunity to tell Urban Smurf that he is an annoying sperglord and should probably stop posting in this thread/in general.

Thanks!

Seriously. That guy has mental issues, and is one of like 3 people on my ignore list.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Now, now, there was that guy who found a rock.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
NBB and Xie, dig that poo poo up! I've read every single page of this thread over the past however long, and I'd love to see at least one more of these get found.

I think where most people go wrong is by looking at Google Maps and streetview too much. They think all the clues are based on map outlines, when the far more important things to recognize will be clear as day when you are starting from the right point. An outline of an island, state, or whatever is definitely the starting point.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Good stuff, xie. I spent some time looking at the new York one myself. I think the cask might be in the park in Jersey. I doubt it was possible to dig at liberty island even in the 80s

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

xie posted:

Ha, that was my solve for a long time. Liberty State Park. I have a really decent solve for it, but remain skeptical it isn't on Governors Island.

I had it behind the train yard on Liberty. PM me, we should compare notes.

I was just another shlub using Google Maps and Streetview to scan the area. While I've visited Liberty Island, it's been 5 years or so and I don't remember much about it, nor did I take many pictures. I did virtually wander around Liberty State Park virtually, and I'm sure my posts are somewhere on this thread about what I did see. I do not have a dig spot located, but if you want to send me what you have I'd be happy to take a look and see what sticks.

I'm in North Carolina, within driving distance of the Charleston and Roanoke Island casks (4 or 5 hours, respectively) but the one in New York/New Jersey was the one I feel is most obtainable.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Never Been Banned posted:

Alright. In the spirit of contributing something to the thread beyond posturing and vague claims here's some writings about the SC puzzle that I've done over the past year or so.

I'm not sure what's new about these and what isn't, as I started from scratch and just tried to work out as best I could what seems to be going on with this one. I'm sure much of it has been discussed here before.

Some pieces of this theory work quite drat well imo, and make me think it's on the right track. Some of it leaves me dissatisfied. Who knows if any of it's right. It'll be interesting to see what you guys think.

There are two documents, a photographic walkthrough type thing and one of the traditional Q4T like verse tables. Some of the content is redundant but not all of it.

Walkthrough: https://www.dropbox.com/s/14zssngv9i7z3v2/The%20Case%20for%20Sullivan%27s%20Island%20Walkthrough.pdf?dl=0

Verse table: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ha1vvl4ped0ue1f/The%20Case%20for%20Sullivan%27s%20Island%20Verse%20Table.pdf?dl=0

I think you are getting close, but look at "giant step" again. Your photo of the flagpole has large walls made that hold back the soil. They look like giant steps, right? Or am I on :catdrugs: ?

edit: thinking a bit more, I don't see the "education" part of "education and justice for all to see". It doesn't make sense that just a little part in the middle is the clue.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 8, 2014

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I just saw this on the Replicas wiki (I was looking it up before I saw it was posted by someone else):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replicas_of_the_Statue_of_Liberty#United_States

quote:

From 1902 to 2002, visitors to midtown Manhattan were occasionally disoriented by what seemed to be an impossibly nearby view of the statue. They were seeing a 30-foot-high (9.1 m) replica located at 43 West 64th Street atop the Liberty Warehouse.[19][20] In February 2002, the statue was removed by the building's owners to allow the building to be expanded.[21] It was donated to the Brooklyn Museum of Art, which installed it in its sculpture garden in October 2005 with plans to restore it on site in spring of 2006.[22][23]

I wonder if Preiss came across the same statue replica? You'd definitely be in the shadows of the grey giant if you were standing in Manhattan. The image is very obviously the face of the Statue of Liberty, but a novice puzzle-maker might think that using the replica might give you something else to work from.

Of course, the bird head being part of Ellis Island pretty much wipes that out.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Merlot Brougham posted:

Also, just to back up what xie is saying, the Fort Sumter mask could also just be a city indicator, and not the actual treasure ground. Examples of this being the Chicago Water Tower in Image 5, or the Terminal Building in Image 4 (Cleveland).

I know we can offer no proof, but I am doubtful of any legitimate publishing house allowing a book to have a solution which requires the commission of a Federal offense. Granted certain areas have had restrictions tightened throughout the years, but it was still a Federal offense in '81. I don't think the list of out of play casks is as big as large as Megaman's Jockstrap is proposing.

Agree with this. I think Charleston might still be available. I might have some free time in a few weeks to go down and start wandering around, see if I can make out any of the other clues. I think the "eyes" of the Fort Sumter thing are supposed to be a clue of something you'll see when you're nearby.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

The Supreme Court posted:

Also, these don't look that similar.

Agreed, those are quite the stretch.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Something I was thinking about (and spent a little time on) was trying to figure out what the "oldest standing member of a forest" meant. I searched for historical trees in Charleston and came up with the Angel Oak, but I couldn't make any of the other clues match up. As the end of the verse says to ask for permission to dig, I'm thinking it's at a historical site of some sort.

I hope this helps trigger an idea for someone else. I am thinking that this verse does not go with Charleston at this point.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

xie posted:

The line is

Beneath the only standing member
Of a forest to the south

it's not the oldest. And it's with a different verse than typically associated with SC (but I don't really have a problem with that if it fits)

My bad, I was doing it from memory. I figure that the "only standing member of a forest" is likely a very old tree, and probably has a name and is likely on private property.

I'm not on Q4T, but has anyone noticed that the tree branches on the Charleston image match the major highways leading east to Mt Pleasant? Am I off my rocker here?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

xie posted:

I try!

I don't know if anyone has seen these, these are the best pictures from the 2004 solve. This is a good info dump for someone who wants to "see" the site as best they can and understand it. Plus what the casques/key look like.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/102050593@N07/sets/72157636370249904/

Hopefully it's OK to repost, Egbert posted it on Q4T which is basically public now.
Those pictures show that it's not much artistic liberty taken on these things. It should be plainly obvious (at least, as it was in 1982) that when you're in the right location you should see lots of things in the image.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Xie, I've spent some time pondering things regarding Charleston, and I landed in Marion Square. Some interesting things I have noticed:

-The Francis Marion Hotel's awning is very unique. Take a look at the supports mounted on the wall. They are lion heads!
-There is a small fountain that is in the exact same shape as Fort Sumter. Nope. Got a better look and it's just a hexagon.
-The site itself has the Citadel, which is referenced in verse #5.
-Could a "wingless bird" be a cannon ball? A battery used to be located here.

What do you think? I'm going to try to talk my wife into taking a road trip down the Charleston, and I'm trying to narrow down the places that are worth checking out.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Agreed. I'm also tired of seeing people take Google maps photos and flipping them backwards, upside down, whatever to make something fit. Preiss probably had nothing more than an Atlas and maybe local maps from the parks to send to the illustrator. There is no reason to believe that anything is a mirror image.

Also, I still see the outline of Virginia by the palm tree/rock in the lower right hand corner. I don't think that the cask is necessarily in Virginia, but I think it may be a clue.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 20, 2014

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

xie posted:

We have no firm evidence but there is nothing stopping anyone from holding the painting or a map up to a mirror in 1981.

As far as I'm concerned if it could be done with 1981 tech it's somewhat in play, though less likely. Don't forget transparencies. If it requires actual aerial photography, unless you can show there was a sign in the park with the aerial or something, yeah it's probably not.

Cleveland definitely has the shape of Parkgate in the centaur's tail as well, so map features aren't to be ruled out entirely.

edit: Not to be a dickhole but if you think it takes any kind of technology to flip a map upside down :stare:

No, what I'm saying is doing mirror images is not something that has been shown on any of the solved casks. The illustrations were made to match the photos and maps they had. Why would they mirror anything?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

xie posted:

The map of Ohio in Cleveland is a mirror image, though it's still recognizable without a mirror. It was possible with 1981 tech and has definitely been a part of other non-Secret puzzles. I don't think The Secret was designed that way, and honestly they're hard enough without it that I'm not going to consider it. However, flipping anything upside down is 100% in play - you have to do it to see the Terminal Tower. I'd say any rotation is fine.

I constantly walk the line between "well designed" and "complete poo poo" for these puzzles. As I feel like I'm zeroing in on Boston and it does seem to still be solvable I do give BP a little more credit than I used to.

Look again at the Ohio solve image. Ohio is most certainly not a mirror.

I agree with the 180 degree flip for Tower City, but flipping things around is not mirroring them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

xie posted:

That is on the start location. The lamps are unique to the park, but all of them have that design. The hatch/collar link is the 'dig here' and is located under one of the lamps.

I got this poo poo :)

Dig that poo poo up tomorrow while everyone's at home eating turkey!