Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

As for Cask 7, could Preservation in the picture mean Preservation Hall in New Orleans? Located at 726 St Peter St. I'm a bit stumped because verse 7 seems to go better with it than verse 2.

Huh, so typing in that address gets me this latitude and longitude: 29.958199,-90.065488 All numbers that match :tinfoil:

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

The Monkey Man posted:

I'm speculating that the gem in the New Orleans picture is a pearl, and that it's represented by the full moon in the clock. Are all of the gems birthstones?

It's turquoise and it's the inset below the moon. And the hunt STARTS at Preservation Hall I'm sure of it. The lat and long I posted earlier are correct. We just need to figure out what the 19 stands for. As for parks there is Louis Armstrong park to the north and east on google maps.

https://plus.google.com/116787422002015701047/about?gl=us&hl=en

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 31, 2013

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

It's turquoise and it's the inset below the moon. And the hunt STARTS at Preservation Hall I'm sure of it. The lat and long I posted earlier are correct. We just need to figure out what the 19 stands for. As for parks there is Louis Armstrong park to the north and east on google maps.

https://plus.google.com/116787422002015701047/about?gl=us&hl=en

Well spank me silly: this is the lat and Long of Louis Armstrong park:
29.962708,-90.069019

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Occams taser posted:

Haha, actually i should have posted that those ideas came from that lemontiger site, not me! I just realized no one said anything about that site, so I thought i'd post it, all the while forgetting to cite them.

That being said, lemontiger's reasonings are off the chart, research wise.

http://www.lemontiger.co.uk/images/misc/thesecret/

This contains all cask theories.

Wow he's done most of the heavy lifting! I feel gratified my New Orleans stuff agrees with his.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

The Monkey Man posted:

The casks are all made of ceramic, so metal detectors wouldn't work. I don't know if there's any technology that could detect them that didn't exist 30 years ago.

Well if you can get a hold of a Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground-penetrating_radar) you could be good to go!

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Maguro posted:

I live in uptown New Orleans, so it wouldn't be too hard for me to go check out the spot. Also anyone interested in the New orleans cask go read my post on page 2. It solidifies that it's in Armstrong park in my mind.

Dude! Print out the picture and the verse and walk the route. You know you want to! I think just being there with the picture and the verse may be all you need to finish this thing off. You might also find out who does the ground keeping for the park so whoever wants to dig can get permission.

Edit: I really like the "giant step" being musical. Look for something at the park like that.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 2, 2013

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

New Orleans

I found an animated sheet music version of Giant Steps. Not sure it will help, but you never know it might yield an idea how to read another clue on the picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kotK9FNEYU

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Fistgrrl posted:

It's worth noting that the New Orleans pdf thought Giant Step was reference to Neil "Armstrong" as in One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.

Which is what you'd think at first thought, but I don't think Neil Armstrong is as associated with New Orleans as John Coltrane/Jazz/Giant Steps is to a park dedicated to New Orleans Jazz.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

NO

Well, I emailed the New Orleans Tourism Board that put up the Louis Armstrong Park website. I'm asking them who to contact for park information and park usage permission. I'll post what they reply.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

LargeHadron posted:

I haven't been following the New Orleans discussion so maybe this is irrelevant...but doesn't the flagpole's shadow location depend on the time of year as well as the time of day?

I think it would. That's why I tentatively excited to hear back from the tourism board. If they can put me in touch with someone who works in the park all the time, they might have more insight into what the clues mean.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

New Orleans

Speaking of Twain's attention. Here is an excerpt from his wiki. Could it be meant as a distance indicator?

In regards to Samuel Clemens becoming a river pilot, "This occupation gave him his pen name, Mark Twain, from "mark twain," the cry for a measured river depth of two fathoms."

A fathom is equal to six foot, so two fathoms would be twelve feet

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

The Monkey Man posted:

N. O.

The object of Twain's attention has gotta be the Mississippi, I can't imagine it being something more obscure.

True, but it bothers me that all the directions have us going north. All the imagery (the lat and long numbers and hands pointing to noon) have us going north. Hell, standing in Jackson square looking at St. Louis Catherdral has us oriented north. The River is south.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Bea Nanner posted:

The lat long covers the entire French Quarter and more.

Fair enough, but everything pointing in moving north?

vv Good man/woman/porpoise

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 5, 2013

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Bea Nanner posted:

NO

I showed this figure to multiple lifelong residents and they all agree that is not the old horse hitching posts. It's gotta be a dog or a wolf of some sort.

Could that be a Griffon's head? As in a heraldic griffon? I don't know anything about the meaning of heraldry though, It's gotta be a clue.

Edit: wasn't there a goon who did an Ask/Tell about Heraldry?

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 5, 2013

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

At this point for a few of them we just need people on the ground armed with the picture and verse. I'm afraid we are muddying up New Orleans and are about to make it overly complicated. As much as I like my Louis Armstrong Park theory, Jackson Square has a lot of merits "being it" as well. I just wish I could spend time there and look around.

and drink. Hurricanes are *right next door* to Preservation hall. Get a Go-cup and solve this drat thing.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

New Orleans

I didn't want to double post, but I don't want this request lost. Could someone overlay the New Orleans picture over a street map of the french quarter? I was just noticing on google maps how regular, like the checkered background, it was. Maybe those distorted places match up on a map?

Edit: as a separate anecdote, I owned this book and it was at my dad's house. I cannot for the life of me remember if I tossed it when I was sorting out his house to sell :( This is exactly the scenario hoarders warn against!

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 5, 2013

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Bloke posted:

Haha I can't believe we had the new orleans so wrong, it's audobon park/zoo. And it's definitely verse 7, I'm still working on it but will post later.

Can't wait to see what you have.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

ohnorobot posted:

Another possibility is that the New Orleans image is related to Jackson square Stone wall's door.
Not far away
High posts are three
May be referring to the 3 steeples of the St. Louis cathedral
The moon in the image could be a reference to the park on the Mississippi called the "Moon walk" after mayor Maurice "Moon" Landreau built in 1976, and could match "A giant step" as a moon landing reference. Also
Running north, but first across
In jewel's direction
Is an object
Of Twain's attention

may all refer to the fact that in front of the French quarter, the Mississippi flows east and then north before heading south. It seem he would want you to go south towards the river, which is "running north".

Yeah, most of that was mentioned in previous theories. Nothing is discounted yet though.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

NO

Merlot Brougham posted:

Verse 2

Abroad in America: Visitors to the New Nation 1776-1914
edited by Marc Pachter and Frances Wein (1976)

Not the "full text", but here are the images from the q4t "literary references" thread, for general reference and those who haven't seen them yet:

Verse 2:

At the place where jewels abound
Fifteen rows down to the ground
In the middle of twenty-one
From end to end
Only three stand watch
As the sound of friends
Fills the afternoon hours
Here is a sovereign people
Who build palaces to shelter
Their heads for a night!

Gnomes admire
Fays delight
The namesakes meeting
Near this site.

So that particular hotel burned down and was replaced with the Sheraton Charles Hotel at 215 St. Charles st. That hotel also appears to no longer be there but it might be important for the directions to the cask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

stab posted:

Uh what

Dude. It was in all the papers for like, a week. Lowtax even tweeted about it. Just scroll back.