Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Putty posted:

there is no loving treasure for gods sake

The treasures exist. They might have been cemented over or destroyed in construction by this point though, and the gem it leads to has already been taken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Cobalt60 posted:

I'm sorry I have to ask this, but is it some kind of running in-joke that nobody is just going places with shovels and putting them in the ground? All this talk of permits and earth temperature and quality - is that just some meta-joke that developed in this thread?

The casks are buried near landmarks so digging them up legally does need a permit. The other stuff is a injoke yes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CrashCat posted:

they haven't posted since 2015, i thought they just quit in shame

http://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=posthistory&userid=60034

there is the off chance they're actually dead, which would be a decent excuse for welching

They probably just bought another account.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Viruswithshoes posted:

Buy the tickets on a credit card and pay the balance by hocking the gem you'll get for finding the casque. It's worth at least $1000, or so they say.

The gems the casque correspond to are long gone.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nolan Arenado posted:

I wonder if xie died irl? Although it would be funnier if he literally stopped posting due to shame.

Probably just bought another account.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wait Urban Smurf isn't just a gimmick poster?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

say no to bats posted:

Or they've all been chewed up by industrial graders but how many parks have the budget or need to extensively chew up the land to replant or reseed it?

Even if they stayed relatively undisturbed wouldn't the casks be mostly crushed to dust by now?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Have you brain geniuses solved it yet?

It's probably been solved for 5 years, it's just that no one wants to risk a fine digging it up.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Change thread title to "Let's solve a 36 year old unsolved treasure hunt!"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Isn't $2500 at stake? Announcing that you've found it and even giving details of the location seems kinda dangerous before you actually dig it up. Someone else might be close and you've given them the solution.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Explosive Tampons posted:

so was the treasure found

I check this thread after years and there are people PGP encoding messages...

A Discovery channel team got permission for a dig next month

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

FelchTragedy posted:

Which place was that? If it was Charleston that was already done on the 8th.

Oh my bad I didn’t realize that post was so long ago.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Holy poo poo a casque was actually dug up. As expected it's just shards of pottery at this point, but still.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Arrhythmia posted:

Did we solve the 31 year old unsolved treasure hunt?

39 year old now

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
A 9 year old 31 year old unsolved treasure hunt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How has this thread been going for over 10 years and we’re only hearing of the Japanese version now?