Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

SilvergunSuperman posted:

awesome line, great thread in general.

I'm seriously tempted to get these pictures blown up, I love the artwork as well.

Did you guys notice there is SOMETHING in the lions "forehead" ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

Ixiggle posted:

The wiki mentioned it being another map but the link to the map was dead. Its not very distinct so I'm having trouble identifying it.

Also, I am having trouble trying to figure out where it might actually be buried according to that picture, the one with the big scepter was pretty clear where the casque was buried. this one, I dunno. I would honestly (if I didnt live in the frozen north anyways) go and dig where the star is on that picture. The one problem we are going to have here, is over-thinking, and goose chasing.(not that time is an issue)

edit: I also say, maybe look at the lions head as water bodies maybe?

Edit2: we need google earth 1980s

Edit3: Someone mentioned not knowing what "Mica" was on the first page, this may help.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mica
It is literally found almost everywhere I think.

Slayer1597 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 31, 2013

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

Mr.Trifecta posted:

I would say that the totem by the lion, if you look on its head, looks like water ways. Might be worth looking for something similar on the map for a similar waterway with a stretch of land, peninsula like.

They have already found the waterways that match the "mask"/"totem"

I am going to head to my local library later and see if they have this book.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

Occams taser posted:

Verse 6 is for the one in San Francisco.

(i'm in rhode island, so no chance of me going to look for it, but i digress)

Using the discovered casks as a baseline, it can be assumed that the image COULD include a hidden latitude and longitude for the city. Reading down the column of figures on the right of the dress, we see:

I
II
II

The finger of her right hand divides the boxes below into:

which results in the coordinates 122 and 37, which are coincidentally the coordinates for San Francisco.

Of all the romance retold
Men of tales and tunes
Cruel and bold
Seen here
By eyes of old

This is a paraphrase of the introduction to Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson, which suggests that it is also in SF, as the RLS memorial is in portsmouth square, chinatown (doesn't the oriental looking woman and the dragon in the picture make sense now?).

Stand and listen to the birds
Hear the cool, clear song of water

This could be a description of the spot by the fountain.

Harken to the words:
Freedom at the birth of a century
Or May 1913

These lines recall Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation; its legislation to free slaves at the beginning
of a century, and its 50th anniversary celebration in 1913. Looking at the map of Portsmouth square, there's a "Clay st" and a man named Cassius Clay helped draft the proclamation, and assuming this is relative, it could be referencing Clay St.

Edwin and Edwina named after him

The actor Edwin Booth (yes john wilkes booth's brother), whose daughter Edwina was named after him, is commemorated on a nearby plaque at 440 Bush St (the site of the old California Theater). INCIDENTALLY. there's also a plaque commemorating Robert Louis Stevenson (on the house where he lived.)

Or on the eighth a scene
Where law defended

If you follow Clay west, you come to Lafayette Tennis court (“a scene where law defended”) on Octavia (which means eighth).

Embedded in the sand
Waits the Fair remuneration

I'm assuming this is a literal hint as to where the cask is buried.

White house close at hand.

I'm assuming there's a white house nearby.

Did some quick googling to find most of this stuff out, but it makes a shitload of sense.

Congratulations on finding your casket? sounds like you have worked out all the details here, all we need now is for someone to put on their Indiana Jones hat and go dig up some public land!

Also, keep this in mind while you are digging/dealing with law enforcement. Shout, "THIS BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!" they will immediately cease all law enforcement, and assist you in your efforts, or you know, take your treasure and give it to the Nazis.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

Occams taser posted:

The cask is within that yellow circle, i'm almost sure of it.

Well, get a Shovel, and become internet Indiana Jones famous. Because I am going to die a little until one of us unearth at least one of these!

edit: The North at the wing thing could be the small outlet on the east side of that island.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

Houston

I was talking to some friends about this tonight and one of them hit on something that may be significant.

"What we take to be
Our strongest tower of delight
Falls gently
In December night"

Could this refer to a Christmas tree? Another friend thought she remembered there being a Christmas tree in the Japanese gardens area, but I can't find anything online about it.

Also I reversed the colors to see if anything else could be revealed here.

1. A strange shape in the leaves up here, not sure if they signify anything.
2. The djinn's wrappings look more like a face here wearing an old floppy hat. A really creepy face and not the best thing to discover while lying in bed in the dark.
3. The shadow of this dune looks like a seated lion
4. I noticed there was something written at the base of this pillar before, but couldn't make it out. It looks like 53 to me, but not sure what that signifies. There are also different numbers of rings above the bases of each pillar. 1 on the closest, 2 on the rhino's, and none on the camel's. The closest pillar also has the number one inscribed on it, the rhino pillar has two leaves in front of it, and I still think it's important that the camel pillar doesn't cast a shadow.

In the tree branches I am seeing a 95 and a 96.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
I dont know if anyone actually saw this, but the article is a pretty good read.

http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/egbert/secret.html

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

Devyl posted:

N.O.

It's possible, but the rest of the verse doesn't seem to make sense to be in N.O. The only thing I can think of 21 across and 15 down would be a mausoleum or cemetery... But the problem with that is there are several in N.O. to pick from.

I've also outlined most of the stuff we've guessed on the high-res picture. If anyone wants high-res of the rest of the pictures, let me know.

New Orleans

Something about the Sleeve on the hand is making my brain tingle... Specifically the cuff part, I have never been to New Orleans, so I can't fathom as to what it is, but its so weird looking.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
Edit: Accidental Double Post?

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

HoboZero posted:

BOSTON
I made a real basic template of the shapes, negative space, etc. for the Boston image:

I have the layered Illustrator .AI and .EPS versions if anyone would like to play with the individual components. It's handy to drag a chunk out of AI into photoshop to lay over other stuff (though I have no idea where to upload/host non-image files bigger than 2Mb, though, so I'd need a suggestion).

Oh, and it's retarded but I can't stop seeing this:

You should try and do this for more of the images, please! :D

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

OperaMouse posted:

It reminds me of a vase, or could otherwise be part of a statue or water fountain.

I was thinking maybe a skirt on a statue or something.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES
Has anyone considered getting the local (University / College)'s Archeology departments involved if you actually confirm that you find one of these. I mean it may not be dinosaur bones, but it is an archeological dig of sorts. I mean if you want permission to dig somewhere, you might as well get people on board, who can actually help.

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

Flewdefur posted:

Desperation and lack of progress have driven everyone to more and more radical solutions that may become too clever for our own good. It’s only natural that if we can’t find something obvious we look for something more obscure. I want to help lay down some guiding principles for anyone starting the hunt or laying down theories.

1. The best clue is a treasure found and we have two. If you haven’t started by looking at those, then you’re at a serious disadvantage.

2. Locations of the last two were parks, near walls or barriers, buried approximately 3.5 feet deep. The cask is very small, and the North American continent is not. If you don’t have a terrific idea of where it is, don’t bother breaking ground.

3. Don’t put too much stake in a theory unless it has resulted in treasure. It doesn’t matter if the theory was made by someone who spent a decade searching, it can still be total bunk. You can evaluate the evidence they used. For example, I can see that while many have pointed to Golden Gate Park, the only evidence is that the dress sort of resembles the shape. The shape is a rectangle, and it’s not a great match. Unless there’s some other compelling reason, that’s a theory without much weight. The Fort Sumter map on the other hand has the weight of a thousand elephants.

4. The two successful treasures both have been found entirely by clues that are one layer deep. There has always been some sort of silhouette of a recognizable building or object. In fact, there were several in each image. These are images of objects you can find and point to that match the images exactly. Sometimes it includes statues that are not even very well obscured. There has not yet been a clue which has relied on a ton of depth.

5. Not all theories are created equal. Simple and direct is better than a convoluted mess. Theories relying on fewer layers and more direct meanings are better. Theories that are deep and convoluted sound fantastic and brilliant and can lure us in, but that does not mean they are good in the context of this puzzle. Evidence points to the contrary.

Example
Good Theory: That outline is an exact match of this streetlight.

Bad Theory: The eleven moons in the San Francisco picture represent Apollo 11. The president at the time was Nixon. Nixon went to China, and the opera house in San Francisco once had a play called Nixon in China. The treasure is at the opera house.

5. A valuable clue has to be distinct and eminently recognizable as such. Circles, rectangles, spirals, or pillars are not distinct. There are billions of them in any city. There are billions of things named after Lincoln or Twain, and even more things that caught their attention at some point.

6. The picture is the key to it all. In both of the found treasures, the evidence pointing to the location was almost entirely in the picture. To stay on the right path, you should not even look at the poems until there is substantial evidence from the picture relating a few landmarks or objects.

7. The poems are almost more of a fine tuning to the treasure location that uses descriptions of objects and things in the immediate vicinity. They do not tend to be deep, broad clues. These are poetic or somewhat abstract representations of specific concrete objects.

8. Check the date. If it wasn’t around in 1980, then that’s your cue to let it be.

9. Check reality. The author wasn’t some sort of brilliant puzzle making genius who wanted to make the most radically difficult and clever puzzles in the universe. In one of his poems he said “L sits and left beyond his shoulder” and L was used to refer to Lincoln. That’s not clever; it’s really sort of lazy. And remember he also didn’t have Google satellite imagery and an absolute knowledge of the history of every city he visited.

10. In thirty years, a lot can change and has changed. The best clues may have been destroyed or moved.

Note: Feel free to correct any of my assumptions here.

This should be in the OP! Very good set of "Rules and guidelines"

Slayer1597 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayer1597
Nov 6, 2008

TREMENDOUS CHILD
ASK ME ABOUT MY ANIMES

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

Houston

All right guys, I just got off the phone with the Houston Zoo Public Relations Department. The guy was incredibly helpful and knew exactly what I was talking about because a few years ago (somewhere between 2005-2009), someone approached him about the treasure. At that point, the Children's Zoo was still intact but was closed off, so they gave the guy permission to dig in the area and they went at it after hours.

They both went digging in the Children's Zoo for months looking for the casque. The digger called in some favors to get a ground penetrating radar brought in and his friend operated it, and at one point they even brought a back hoe in for excavating. After months of digging, all they turned up was a water main that they busted. At this point, what was the Children's Zoo is either buried under their new attraction or is all a construction area for their upcoming gorilla pavillion.

The guy I talked to was pretty into it and told me of another location that he had suggested but the digger rejected. At the point that the casque was buried, the park was free to enter and stayed open late into the night. He believed that the treasure is buried at what used to be one of these entrances before it was closed off. Looking at the intersection of Hermann Park Drive and Cambridge Street, I'm thinking it wouldn't be a bad place to look. It's a little shady spot but I'm not sure whether you can see the fountain at McGovern Lake from there.

The PR Director also told me that he would try to dig up the notes he kept when working with the guy so we can see if he came to any conclusions that we are missing. I still think that this casque is in Hermann Park and not the zoo itself, and he said he can put in a good word with me to the person responsible for permits for digging/running any ground penetrating radar in public parks.

So this guy was incredibly helpful and not at all snobbish or dismissive. Goons in other cities may want to contact their local park departments and see if they can get some help on their end!

Not to gush or anything, But I am impressed at the level in which people are interested in a real treasure hunt!

I imagine you could actually see the wonder and amazement in this guys eyes.

I have been thinking about all the pictures and trying to help. (This has been one of the best threads ever!)

If I lived near any of the possible locations, I would probably already be in a jail cell, for illegal digging.

General

I figure that if he put a silhouette of that one building, in that picture, there must be silhouettes in all the pictures, they should all be of famous landmarks.

Also from the sounds of it there should also be (in the picture) a picture of the location at which it was buried.

I am printing out large copies of the Hi-Res pictures on the printer at work, and am going to get a bunch of friends together, get a little wasted and see what we can come up with.