Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

But then how do we get digging permits?

We gotta prove to a panel of people that something is buried somewhere before we can go digging for anything, and that means we gotta have enough CLUES to convince the PANEL that something IS buried somewhere. They only give out digging permits when you prove where something IS buried, not when you prove where something ISN'T buried.

Proving yourself wrong is how you get rid of all the "this kinda sorta reminds me of this other thing if you hold your breath and squint" stuff before you show the real CLUES to the PANEL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

clockworx posted:

I agree - unless it's some easily recognizable shape like Ohio or on a small enough scale that is observable on foot, I don't think the author was expecting readers to map overlays (with rotation and resizing in some case) in order to solve the puzzle with the technology that was available in 1982. It's trivial for us to zip around on google maps until we find something close, but imagine trying to do the same sort of wide fit-and-match search using 1982 technologies. Transparencies? Overheard projectors? It would take forever.

Just want to remind you that maps did exist in 1982, which are aerial views of things, and that to do the fit-and-match you would only need one transparency and one image on the wall -- you change the size of the projected image on the overhead by moving the overhead closer or further from the wall (and if you can rotate a piece of paper, you can rotate a transparency). I agree that it's not worth going too crazy with, but it's also not far-fetched that he could have used a distinctive shoreline as a clue in the 80s.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I did a quick forum search but maybe did it wrong. Has anyone pointed out that those look like runes?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Milwaukee

If it really is verse 8, it calls for walking 100 paces SE over rock and soil. Depending on whether you use the modern "single-step" or traditional "every other step" for a pace (and how long your pace is), you need ~250 to ~500 feet of rock and soil to traverse in the vicinity of city hall.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Neutrino posted:

Just to clarify, the actual verses are:

Walk 100 paces
Southeast over rock and soil

There is nothing connecting the two verses. They could very well be taken completely separately.

As to your second point - "traditional "every other step" for a pace"? What? The "traditional pace" you mention ended with the Roman empire. I don't think we want to open up an argument about long dead interpretations.

They could well be separate verses, you're right! I should have accounted for that!

As for the pace -- they both do exist even today. The single-step one is sometimes called the "military pace" and the two-step one the "geometric(al) pace" or "great pace"; it did not end with the Roman Empire.

EDIT: The Oxford English Dictionary cites "geometrical pace" as late as 2008.

homullus fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 20, 2013

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

demonicon posted:

This puzzle was created in the 80s and supposed to be solvable by common people reading the books in the 80s.

The Rand-McNally road atlas is releasing its 90th anniversary edition. I assure you that in addition to stone tools and fire, we had cheap and readily-available maps in the 1980s.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

demonicon posted:

I dont Know if this is even a good idea. If we 'solve' the puzzle just because of his clues, what's that worth really? Its not like there is a lot of money to gain. We would just spoil the puzzle for anyone else attempting it now or in the future...

Clearly the answer is that the decades-old mystery and its resolution would make a great book on its own, as both a bit of history and as a cautionary tale to puzzle-makers of the future (since clearly Preiss didn't account for all the things that could and did go wrong with his clues). I too would buy prints of the paintings, I think they're pretty cool, and would look great framed next to their solution.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Verse 10
"The natives still speak
Of him of Hard word in 3 Vols. "

Sci-fi and fantasy author Poul Anderson (seven Hugos, three Nebulas) wrote a trilogy with Harald Hardrada (whose name means "hard counsel") as the protagonist. The entire trilogy came out in 1980. It may be why "Hard" is capitalized, referring to his name.

I mention the awards because I think anyone nerdy enough to buy Preiss' book back then would have heard of Poul Anderson. I don't know enough about New York to find the connection; Google gives me two hits on a "Stamford Bridge Room" in NY, but I can't find more about it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Urban Smurf posted:

On the subject of crazy theories, its just a phrase to mark the atypical approach. The verses and images are crazy to begin with. The trouble with normal is it missed the point. If you arent making one assumption then youre making another. The Secret is the Sun and we are stuck leaping upon shadows. There will be a direct path to each solution, but it wont be without discovery of some fantastic underpinnings that look crazy from the start.

That's funny, I think Urban Smurf is right, even if his (or her) theories are far-fetched (they aren't all far-fetched, but many are). I think this whole thing has demonstrated how the puzzles Preiss created are simple when you know the solution, but that given the number of interpretations of so many of these things (to the point that we're not even sure of the cities in some cases), we really do need to be open to the obvious-only-in-retrospect options.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

rookhunter posted:

I had this idea early on using silver dollars or some kind of big coins in a wooden chest from Hobby Lobby. I never followed through but I think it would be fun to post clues on CL or a city forum and see if anyone found your buried treasure. I think this would be ideal for a city with a lot of history like Boston or DC.

A long time ago, there was a guy doing a contest like Preiss' one. It was solved by a guy who'd followed him around, seeing where the stuff was hidden in general. It would be fun to do the contests, but once people know who you are . . .

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

crashdome posted:

Wait. He advertised he was going to hide stuff before he actually hid them?

If I recall, yes. It was at least 20 years ago.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

einTier posted:

Houston

Apparently, the Garden Center in Hermann Park is also being renovated.
http://www.houstontx.gov/parks/ourparks/gardencenter.html

Sounds like a pretty substantial makeover. If the cask was buried there, it might be lost for good.

When stuff like this happens and you know in advance, maybe it's worth writing to the companies doing the renovation, so if a worker spots the broken cask, we all can get some closure.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

If I lived in one of these cities, I would put a big ad in the local paper soliciting family pictures (or old maps/guidebooks/schematics) of the most likely locations. There are probably 10x the pics out there, just not scanned in and on the internet.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bolkovr posted:

Nothing we don't know already, but here's some recent bloggage about Milwaukee.

Nothing we don't know already, in the sense that this exact link was posted on this very page by the author of the item linked.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Xie I hope you pull one of these mugs out of the ground one day, I really sincerely do. All I care about is what makes an interesting/funny thread, and posting wacky theories is p. good. Being a secret agent about your mug location is not. Please don't drive yourself crazy.

I am totally on board with progress on the "puzzle" being real progress, even with no digging, but yeah, this is why I come to SA: I want to be informed, I want to be entertained, and I want to do the same for others. With no new data, no new conjecture, no new thing for people to talk about, none of those can happen. I have read this entire thread and I enjoy it quite a bit; I think "new" breaks on these could come from old family photos sitting around that show things as they were for Preiss, for example, so I certainly haven't give up hope that we can "conclusively" (as conclusively as most aspects of fragmented history) figure out where these were.

Post your theory, go dig it up, and then post about the dig. That is what is best in life.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

xie posted:

And the people who aren't joking and seem personally insulted that we're not quitting our jobs to go dig a hole.

I would find it a little amusing, though, if your actual job were "digging holes."

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

No, don't listen to him, Urban Smurf. Your posts are the best part of this thread.

At least until xie or Never Been Banned digs and posts photos, anyway.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

xie posted:

I'm in official talks with the DCR to excavate. They like the story of the hunt and the official archaeologist is talking to the permit office.

Sorry I didn't go to jail for you.

This way is much more exciting for me. Glad you waited!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

One thing I enjoy about Urban Smurf's theories is that they are often reliant on the internet, recent photographs on the web, aerial photography, schematics, et cetera -- things that wouldn't necessarily have been so accessible or even "thought about" by the average solver in 1981, but would be today. Like, if you wondered what it would take to make a modern visual puzzle hard but still solvable, where people with ready access to GIS and stuff would still need to work... you'd probably have to narrow it down to a single city for people, but your solutions might resemble some of Urban Smurf's solutions.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Urban Smurf posted:

I use to rely heavily on such methods. Then I wised up and figured out how to use the tools to express my ideas, knowing full well that there's a very significant potential for having such limitations. If I were a professional writer I'd use just words to get my point across. If I were an artist, schematics. Right now I'm using MS paint and whatever internet means I can muster but believe me I'm always on the lookout for things which introduce errors into the perspective. No worries. I appreciate the feedback.

In this recent case, I used a recent photo of the Golden Gate Bridge in the background and a bench in the foreground. It's possible the trees limbs are too young or that a bench wasn't there in 1982, or that its a replacement of an original that looked much different. Just because I post a picture doesn't mean I'm fully committed to the presentation. To a person who actually stands at the site and considers the material in the way the author intended, I hope that my gathering skills might be helpful.

There's nothing wrong with MS Paint for context, it's a good tool for showing relationships that you don't have an image at hand for. Your posts are kind of free-association riffing on the verses and images. I think they're pretty far-fetched, but good brainstorming usually produces some far-fetched stuff. I would enjoy it if you continued to post, as long as it's fun for you to do so.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Urban Smurf posted:

It still surprises me to think the Cleveland locals let some carpetbagger hunters from NY/NJ beat them to the Grecian Gardens cask, which at this point looks so obvious a location. Fact is, locals in a preGoogle era had the advantage. If Image 12 isn't NY, then its WA.

So I think this raises an interesting point, when combined with xie's "Polaroid" approach. Since Preiss figured they'd all be found quickly, I think he thought the same thing: locals first, then puzzle-philic tourists would find them. I wonder whether AAA (or similar) city guides from 1980 are around? He might have used them to decide what things would be "prominent enough" in cities he wasn't intimately familiar with.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Nocheez posted:

This was my idea while scouting around San Francisco. I tried to think of what a tourist would be drawn to. Ghirardelli Square is a great starting place, and there is a battery close by and a park at Fort Mason where you can see the Golden Gate bridge from. I would not doubt that the wrong verse has been used and is a dead end.

I think, based on the solutions that we know, that it would not predominantly be the first things that tourists are drawn to, but secondary things that might pad out a book of "things to see" in a city. Very few people go to a city to see its parks, you know? Parks are everywhere. But they're often in travel guides.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, did you guys ever actually find anything?

I found another person who can't be bothered to read things!

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Urban Smurf posted:

Why does the hand have cracked/jagged nails?

Is it an effort to represent a visual trope for a hand rising up from a grave?

That's also some pretty unnatural wrinkling on the hand.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tony Homo posted:

I only started talking poo poo to Xie when he kept making excuses. I was the sole voice speaking about him for a while so the argument he didn't dig out of spite for me is not true.

Xie: "I'll show Tony! I'll show him! He thinks I'm lying about getting permission to dig and hurting myself digging so I'll .....ah...ummm....not dig! I'll show him!"

There's no way it was you. I think "this is a major undertaking" met with "hey other parts of my life are more interesting/distracting" and they fell in love and had a baby with no holes dug in it.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Tony Homo posted:

Because Xie never had the info in the first place. This is the whole thing. He had an excuse every time he was called on it:

1) ground is covered in snow
2) ground is too wet
3) ground is hard
4) hurt my wrist
5) school work
6) job
Etc etc

Actual ground things are Real Issues. Digging in frozen ground suuuuucks. Xie may or may not have had the info. I hope it does exist and it gets passed on to somebody!

"Hurt my wrist" is . . . well, if you have help, you can do the tasks that that aren't very wrist-y. "Doing stuff with friends" is either trolling those of us who still believed or the clearest evidence that Xie had lost any real interest in doing it at that point.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

.random posted:

What if Preiss didn't release just ONE copy of the book, but 3 or 5 different versions, each with different - but intentional - "imperfections?" Perhaps these puzzles were intended not to be solved by an individual, after all, but by a group with access to several of these books with "imperfections" which all are needed to solve the puzzle. Perhaps it is only through our powers combined that we can call down a rain of gemstones upon ourselves. Perhaps?

If you want a reputation as a clever puzzle-maker and want people to pay you to do it again, you need the publicity of people finding them, so you can sell copies of your books.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Urban Smurf posted:

Nobody has followed up with me on this treasure spot. Could be people disagree or they dont have any idea of the return for their time and trouble to dig and repair a small patch of grass.

Here are two angles on the spot, both follow basic lines. There is the parallel of the 1st stair step meeting the retaining wall geometry. Visually it doesnt look convincing as a solve to the puzzle, but it satisfies more of the poem and visuals than anything anyone has put forth.

One of the most simple twists on this turquoise jewel of France themed painting is that this Central American statue is named "Francisco". Its plaque says he was installed on Oct 21st 1966 (In the middle of twenty one) and if we take the height of the four stairs reference, then we easily can conclude the number of stair steps that would be needed for the statue to "walk down to the ground" (fifteen rows down to the ground).

I recommend someone dig this spot to about 20-24 inches and find the plastic encased clay pot. Post pics here and see about reclaiming a jewel prize or consider keeping or selling the clay pot which some would consider collectable.

It's too bad you don't sleep on piles of money, Urban Smurf. I think you could make puzzles like Priess did, except yours would be so hard that you could tell people what city they were in. No specialized knowledge is required, only a willingness to dive into the obscure and to entertain many "out there" ideas.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I didn't expect the thread to dig up xie.

For real, though, somebody who has more than a casual interest in this (i.e. not me) should check xie's idea with the Japanese translation.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Is it solved yet?

The real treasure is your unhealthy compulsion to post some version of this on almost every page.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Found anything yet?

Wait, what am I saying... of course you haven't :laugh:

I found the treasure! Looks like somebody replaced the gem in the casque with somebody's obsession though.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Urban Smurf posted:

I wonder if Erol Otus is still alive.

he is

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

ante posted:

Can someone summarize the last decade of thread for me please?!

A few flurries of actual discussion, a minority of it rational, and 12 years of people thinking they're funny when they revive the dead thread to announce that the real treasure was up their own rear end all along or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

EconDad posted:

... well, was it?

I'm not going to risk my wrists checking asses