Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Oooh, this is great. It reminds me of a similar UK based book called 'Conundrum', which was somewhat bizarrely sponsored by Cadbury's Creme Eggs. My nanna had a copy of it and I loved to look at the illustrations, which were as cryptic and odd as these ones. I was only 4 or so when I got obsessed by it so I never got too far in solving it, although I used to spend hours looking at the pictures, and dream of digging up my own golden egg. :allears:

On this one, the pillars (?) on the Boston image are bugging me, they look like they should spell something out in a code, I wondered whether it was Maritime Signal flags, there are some letters that kind of match, but there is nothing with triangles involved. There is also that 4 on her cuff.

S...O...W....possibly N? on the left column??? :shrug:

I love this sort of poo poo. The pictures are ace too, although some of them are pretty creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ok, I think cask 11 is possibly in COPLEY SQUARE

If Thucydides is
North of Xenophon

Going by that Lemontiger's reasoning RE the names above the library

Thucydides is above Xenophon- posibly meaning North?

Take five steps
In the area of his direction
A green tower of lights
In the middle section

I don't know

Near Those
Who pass the coliseum

quote:

"The Boston Coliseum, or Temple Of Peace, was a temporary building constructed solely for the purpose of hosting the National Peace Jubilee in 1869. This enormous structure stood where Trinity Church and the Copley Plaza Hotel are now located in Copley Square.
[i]With metal walls

quote:

The John Hancock Tower, officially named Hancock Place and colloquially known as The Hancock, is a 60-story, 790-foot (241 m) skyscraper in Boston. The tower was designed by Henry N. Cobb of the firm I. M. Pei & Partners and was completed in 1976.
Just next to Cobley Square.
Face the water

[i]Your back to the stairs
Feel at home
All the letters
Are here to see

Boston Library. And Stairs.

Eighteenth day
Twelfth hour
Lit by lamplight
In truth, be free.

Reciprocator posted:

Eighteenth day, Twelfth hour, lit by lamplight - Paul Revere at midnight before the battle of Lexington and Concord (April 19th 1775)
...look who painted Paul Revere......????!?!?!

Possible clues from the painting
The building next to the library could pass for a stylised version of what is on that box she's holding..

OOh and look, that cuff is also suspiciously like a bit of the road next to the library

The Falcon could refer to the 'Black Falcon Cruise Terminal' which is nearby.

...there is also a small fountain and grassy area inside the library that might have something to do with it? That square at the top of the arch is bothering me.

Does that top square represent the library court?

Anyway I am in the UK and have looked at all this with Google maps and stuff so I don't know....it all seems quite plausible to me. From what I've read Copley Square has had a lot of refurbishing done so the casket (if there at all) may be under concrete by now.

Rondette fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 31, 2013

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

Oh, also, regarding Boston - I lived there since 99 and they haven't done anything to the copley square park since at least then. However, I wouldn't recommend someone go dig around and look suspicious in that area for a long time.

This is a really great article about the history of Copley Square which shows it had a refurb in 1984
http://landscapenotes.com/2012/08/23/copley-square/

(book was published 1982)

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm just thinking about that verse from the Boston one...

quote:

If Thucydides is
North of Xenophon
Take five steps
In the area of his direction
A green tower of lights
In the middle section
What If the library is the starting point, and the '5 steps' are, in fact, blocks? Thucydides' direction is NORTH if we choose to read the riddle as such, it is telling us to go that way. Let's go 5 blocks north.

Let's zoom down and see what we've got OOOOO at first I thought about the traffic lights but then I noticed something.....

Holy poo poo....that looks really out of place. There's not another one on the other side of the road, or in the middle like that one :stare:
Let's see what is behind it.

A bit of research tells me the intriguing looking grey thing is a memorial to a fire that was erected in 1998 so isn't a clue...does anyone know what, if anything, was there before?
In the other park if we turn around

We see a statue. Of a chap called William Lloyd Garrison (1805-1879) - a founder of the American Anti-Slavery Association, abolitionist and social reformer who looks very 'at home with all the letters- he's got loads piled under his chair.

HOLY CRAP I just googled 'In truth be free' and it's a lyric from an 1864 ANTI-SLAVERY SONG

quote:

Burst the fetters of oppression,
Let our land in truth be free,
And no longer Slavery's curse
Blast the land of Liberty.
On to victory! brothers, on!
Shout the name of Washington.

Garrison was also big into equal rights for women (actually he sounds like an all-round good egg) and this song appeared to have been written for some women's association. He would have been alive the time the song was written and performed, I wonder if there is some forgotten connection there.

I wonder if the chap is guarding a casket.

quote:

Lit by lamplight
In truth, be free.

The green lamp.

-----------
Could it not just be buried around in that general grassy area? Perhaps the image has clues...
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Rondette fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 1, 2013

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

got dat wmd posted:

Here's the lamp and Bill Garrison. Nothing really much here. I suppose years and years ago someone coulda stuffed something under the chair.

http://i.imgur.com/reSQdFs.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/EfZ1K3b.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QjbRfUA.jpg

hah that's awesome you got down there. That lamps paint looks pretty old! drat I wish it wasn't 1am over here because I want to play with this some more! Knowing goons it'll be solved by the time I wake up. Are there any buildings in the south side of the park area that have many stairs? I wonder if 'face the water' means face north with some sort of stairs behind you. Are there any north facing benches particularly in front of a building with a stairway? Perhaps it was buried under a bench, hence the 'make yourself at home' line

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

got dat wmd posted:

There is a pedestrian overpass near here that goes over storrow drive. I suppose I can check that out in a bit

E: also by the amphitheater on the Charles River

just looked at a map of that overpass and it's near some sort of park type land by the water are there any lamps/lights around there I wonder. Don't feel you have to check out myevery hunch though!!!

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

xie posted:

At the longfellow HOME there is housed the collection of all of his letters as well as many other famous archives, etc.

And the entire area is lit by lamplight.

And the stonework arches match the details in the globe.

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf...ed=0CJsBEPwSMAM

That sounds pretty compelling, good luck dude!

edit-Don't get arrested..

Rondette fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 1, 2013

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Can you help those of us who can just see a blank white screen?

(Well if I lay the screen flat I can see some dark outline/vein looking things but what are you getting at? :shrug:)

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

allta posted:

This is the clearest I can get it before the face starts getting distorted.

ah yes, that also to my mind shows 2 others. The one circled in white looks upside-down to me.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

xie posted:

So I didn't see anything obvious at Longfellow Park, but man the site is exactly what you'd expect.

Down by the stairs there is a monument to Longfellow with a bust of him, as well as a cast of characters behind him. There are columns and greek looking things, but no greek figures or references to antiquity.

The park itself is shaped exactly like the painting, and the area where the stairs/bust are aligns with the location of the box she's holding. http://www.yeodoug.com/resources/dc_french/longfellow/dcfrench_longfellow.html

The star may be a red herring, or it could be a location to dig in the hoop, but the directions are really really ambiguous and I need help deciphering them. I'm not sure where to start, and what direction to take steps from.

The entire thing is near Harvard, it's near (right across the river) where people pass the Colosseum. The Paul revere stuff all matches up, and the park is lined by lamps.

The only thing is that you cannot see Eliot House from here, but who knows whether you could in the 80s? Or possibly at night when it's all lit up. Argh.

I really feel like this is it, if you went there you'd know what I mean. It's a quiet little park - burying anything in the heart of the city would be very very difficult. You can dig here, and there are a few "middle" places it could be.

|_| there are benches along side the bust like this, one of my theories is that it's right between everything in the center, since no VERY specific location is given (like the Cleveland one).

that's interesting...didntou take any pictures?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

dahkren posted:

Otherwise when you actually dig you could just grab a white hardhat and a reflective vest and a clipboard and I bet you'll get no trouble.

^^^ Yeah I was thinking this as well. Just look like you're meant to be there.

BOSTON

One thing that's really been irking me is the shape of the woman's neck, it's really wide and odd.

The artist is obviously competent at the human figure so it looks unusually bad to my mind.

I was also thinking about the front of the woman's dress, there are 3 'blocks'...let's go 3 blocks up....oh look...

that shape looks familiar

in fact now I look at it.....

Without the image you can (if you squint a bit maybe) see a resemblance to the painting, or the woman and stars anyway.

Is it actually a map? The star matches up pretty closely with that bandstand. Seems rather too coincidental, but what is the marker if this is actually a Thing?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

xie posted:

I just don't know. Mirroring and overlaying a map was not really possible in the 80s, and this was a book. Blows anything in the other 2 puzzles away.

I don't see why not, you could buy city maps and such that you could put tracing paper over? Or it doesn't have to be an EXACT representation....anyway I'm just throwing stuff out there to see if any of it sticks.

I do agree that the two solved puzzles had extremely specific images that gave away the location, and perhaps we are WAY overreading it, but isn't that part of the fun? :)

One thing as well, in that forum we have access to, they're not even sure that Image 11 is even Boston. How has it been deduced that the poem and image match up? I'm intrigued.

Rondette fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 2, 2013

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DOOP posted:

For a guy who graduated from UPenn, you'd think Byron would leave a treasure in the Philly area somewhere.

All this is super cool, but I know nothing about all these (rumored) locations. Philly gets shafted once again.

Pictures are totally :krad:

hey neither do I! I'm in the UK and have only ever been to NYC. I'm really enjoying learning random things about cities I know piss-all about. Wanna go to Boston now!

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hah, add me to the Dream pile too. Except in my version I found 2, one of which was buried in the bottom of a full tub of ice-cream. :shrug:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

LargeHadron posted:

I'm actually very curious about this myself. I've just been taking it for granted that Boston is the correct location. Also, how did we decide the correct pairing of verses with illustrations? I've never seen the book, but my understanding is that they are not explicitly paired.

I mentioned that earlier. In that forum we can have access to they don't even think they are connected.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I get a real Don Quixote vibe off the figure on the top. Any windmills nearby?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

Care to elaborate on what you mean by that? I'm trying to figure out what it :might: mean, but I can't think of any possibilities (not that I disbelieve you, I'm just new to the thread).

Poster Never Been Banned swept in and had totally solved one but couldn't let on which image or verse or anything because someone might go and dig it up first, I guess? Cue lots of pages of furtiveness and 'definitely going to go and dig it up' posts, which pissed everyone off.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Good luck!! I've been following this thread from the start and weighed in with my own crackpot ideas for the Boston image, so I am super excited to see this potentially getting somewhere...can't wait to see this unfold and Good Luck.......

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

xie posted:

I just recevied an email from the DCR informing me that someone was caught digging on some sort of treasure hunt this weekend, and they wanted to confirm it was not me. MA state police responded to the call.

This is why you seek permission.

Holy poo poo!! I wonder which goon that was :argh:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Quick, somebody dig up a casket or something, this thread is eating itself.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

bonestructure posted:

urban smurf never disappoints

:allears:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

OctoberBlues posted:

Surely with the wide variety of people we've got here, someone has the ability to run a criminal background check on a dead man?!

I think they mean the Goober who went in an attempted a go on Xie's spot.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I love you Urban Smurf. Never stop.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

xie posted:

I spoke with the DCR today, we're soft-targetting some time in April. They want to be there (understandable) and during the academic calendar my schedule is hell (50+ hr weeks, unscheduled OT) so I'll keep ya'll posted. But this is happening.

Toot toot!!

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

xie posted:

The last time I spoke with the DCR it was them reaching out to me to stay away from mid june through after the 4th, even to take photos, because the area was close to the hatch shell and locked down by DHS.

I have no plans this weekend (for real) and emailed them today to confirm it's OK to go down there.

I can't say I have much for a Copley Square solve. It has a lot going against it, too many visual matches in the park. The benches are unique to the park and are obvious. I suppose there could be a route taking you from the park to the library, but I'm just not all in. That route would not pass the hatch shell or either statue, would walk away from the Citgo sign and pretty much never see it, etc.

Like I'm totally open to being wrong but I just don't think that's it, but please PM me or go into detail, I'm super curious :)

BRING IT ON!

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

Is Xie banned? He should be for whatever it is he did. Lied? Looks like he lied. No actual proof just lots of words and broken promises.

No man, I saw him posting in another thread, I told him to get his butt into gear...no reply :(

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Saw thread was bumped, got excited

nope, xie still isn't digging

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Never stop never stopping Urban Smurf :allears:

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I can't believe it's 9 years since I got obsessed with this mystery for a while and got myself weirdly acquainted with parts of random US cities. Good Times, more innocent times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ante posted:

Can someone summarize the last decade of thread for me please?!

Nothing of value was found.