Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
What are the reasons people are confident they've matched up the pictures with a city? Is it just from latitude/longitude coordinates hidden in each one? Like, how do you get "Boston" out of #11?

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Number_6 posted:

I can't add anything to the interpretation of Verse #7, but as a mere tourist to San Francisco several times, something about the image for Cask 1 just shouts "Coit Tower" or "Alcatraz" to me.

If the city is definitely San Francisco, then that's got to be Alcatraz referenced in the picture. Unless the only reason people think it's San Francisco is because of that background image. *shrug*

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

got dat wmd posted:

There was nothing in that space before. The Garrison statue is an interesting guess but there's really no space to hide anything there for this many years. Hmm.

Aw, hell I'll take a walk down and look at the lamp.

Would those lamps really not have been repainted in 30 years? You'd have to find an old pic of the park....

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

say no to bats posted:

Hey I remember this thread, its been 5 years how many have been fo...

Oh.

Same. Why is this thread still going?

And the casks were ceramic, weren't they? Being buried in prominent/landscaped places, most of them were probably destroyed decades ago.

But seeing as this has been at least a 5 year obsession for some posters, my main question is why in all this time no company jumped on the opportunity to start a new treasure hunt, with similar visual clues, etc. Obviously the demand is there. (My apologies if this has been discussed a million times, I'm not going to read through hundreds of pages in a thread I last looked at several years ago.)

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Drunk Nerds posted:

The pictures are baller

I know the pictures are baller. The whole treasure hunt is legitimately, neat as gently caress. Unfortunately it also happened 30 years ago. I'm saying somebody ought to put a similar level of artistry/effort into another very difficult treasure hunt that might actually be solvable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Orkin Mang posted:

i wonder who jack the ripper was....

Goons should put their heads together to finally figure that little mystery out, they'd be about as likely to solve that as The Secret at this point.