Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Sham I Am posted:

The problem is that all of the suggested digging spots, the gardens, the wright memorial, somewhere down the path from the 1896 marker stone, the amphitheater, or really anywhere else that has been suggested, is a federal crime. Even if you knew exactly where it was, who wants to go to jail and/or pay a fine, have a felony on their record or even just get arrested because they have a strong hunch on where to dig up a broken sugar bowl?

Well then, I guess the next step would be to find out if it was a federal crime back in 1982. If so, we can probably rule out those locations.

Pardon me if it's been answered I'm only 3/4 of the way through the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Urban Smurf posted:

The archaelogical protections act of 1979 would be the most applicable obstruction to digging in 1981. Any place with significant prior archaeological interest would be rules out. Inside a fenced lot would be too questionable. If your solution then a spot is absolutely perfect it will take into account the obvious surroundings. Back in the 80's people would get a slap on the wrist when they would try to sneak off with a brick belonging to Fort Sumter. Its very unlikely Preiss buried a casque there. FOY had significant preexisting archaeological significance...so it also makes for a difficult dig strategy. In NOLA, I use the roof of a tomb viewed from OUTSIDE the cemetery to find a spot on the Neutral ground. It may be an exposed area but it is much too clear as a possibility to be ignored. It is perfectly conceivable Preiss found ways to dig outside of archaeologically protected areas, but it should be clear that there is no risk of gettng into serious trouble. The Chcago casque is a great example to follow. Lots of tree plantings, one more hole in a public park space shouldn't matter. Proximity to a Lincoln reference makes it that much better. Cleveland is a good example of being sneaky, again a public space. No real damage or danger to features required. Preiss looked for those sharply defned opportunities.

I see your point, but would the publishing company approve? Seems like they wouldn't want to fund a guy committing a federal crime when the goal is for people to discover where that federal crime was committed by committing other federal crimes.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I've given up on the SF casque because every suspect site

-Aquatic Park
-Portsmouth Square
-Lafayette Park
-Asian Art Museum
-Legion of Honor/Lincoln Park
-Totem Pole at Lindley Meadow

have all undergone major renovations involving complete reconstruction (or removal) and large earth movement.

As an unrelated aside, I'll be at Portsmouth Square this evening.

I'm not giving up: I don't need to see the casks themselves, just enough picture symbols to make me feel you all got it right. Find me a couple more symbols from SF and I'll be happy.

I used to live in SF not 4 years ago and would gladly have trudged around the LaFayette park area taking photos. Sigh.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Long time, first time, here. Love the discussion.
I keep coming back to the window in the "san francisco" picture . Correct me if I missed something, but I have read the whole thread and it seems no one has spotted anything close to it.

It reminds me of the wall in cleveland. The picture of that wall was the key piece to finding where the cask was buried. I realize that the window could just be one of the many landmarks in the area, but it just doesnt seem distinctive enough.

I want to find that window. I grew up in SF and I know several natives who are landmark hawks for the area. They are also old enough to have been around in 1982 and maybe even remember that. I'll ask when I get off work.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 26, 2013

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Okay so i spent a few hours with my SF native friends . Sorry to say we have no new lead breaks... Yet. But i do feel i have something to offer.

I've made puzzles professionally for computer games, and I am always making elaborate games and puzzles for my friends and family. I like to think I can get inside of the author's head for this reason. Here's what I noticed today about which I feel strongly. As requested by the OP I will attempt to frame everything in terms of our best clues: The solved puzzles. I am sure i have overlooked a detail or four so please jump in and correct what i have missed..

1. The Lemontiger solution is solid up until right after the RLS and Edwin Booth plaques. Then it loses its poo poo: moving about ten blocks left just because Octavia means something related to but not exactly the word eighth? No way. The chicago and cleveland puzzles had several landmarks within a few blocks of each other. San fran is loaded with landmarks, there would be absolutely no reason to move 10 blocks west ever. Wherever it was buried there were almost definitely a buncha cool statues/landmarks nearby. I suspect "eighth" refers to the quantity of weed the author bought and smoked before finishing the puzzle.

2. My SF friends were on it: they named dozens of landmarks with windows and arches thaf looked almost, but not exactly like the picture. The number of vertical bars was always the negating factor. On that note, Urban Smurf, does your arch have four horizontal bars, all very closely spaced? Because we scoured the legion on foot and via satellite and could not find a way to line up more than two columns in an archway.

3. I like the edwin plaque and that he founded his actors union in may 1913. But the notion that this is tied to gettysburg address because its exactly 50 years later? I dont see the author referencing this time jump at all in the poem so I am really not convinced the Edwin booth plaque is right.

4. What is going on with the symbols around the dragon frock? Above the hands its a lat/long clue. But below the hands we've got chinese symbols, roman symbols, and.... "Other" . Now the puzzlemaker in me thinks these are indicators that its a word puzzle disguised like masonic/chinese/roman alusions. The symbols are just too varied to point to one cultural place . Maybe its like cleveland where the cask was between two nations? I will be studying these symbols the most over the next few days.

I showed my SF friends some key "artifacts" and they will keep their eyes open/try to dig up old photos

I also have some MKE friends who love treasure hunting/puzzles so I will be tackling thet puzzle while I digest all these loose SF Clues

So much fun! Glad to be working on this, thanks!

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 27, 2013

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

BJG posted:

"Octavia" means "the eighth". Look it up.

C'mon now. I'm doing my best:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octavia
Don't see it here.
Or here:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Octaviao
It's more helpful if you provide support for your own argument. I don't mean that to sound rude, I just can't find what you're talking about.

I love the archway theory. My only problem is that, in the window in the treasure hunt picture, the horizontal bricks below make it look exactly like a window... and the bars seem too close to allow human passage... I'd love to be wrong though.

My MKE friends are going clubbing in downtown this weekend, I will tell them to stroll downtown afterwards and give me some pics. I'm primarily interested in pics which line up with the city hall outline... Is that too specific... maybe the perspective doesn't matter? Did perspective ever matter in the Cleveland/Chicago ones? Thoughts?

So far, I really want to believe the Great Highway theory, it lines up a map very nicely. i just have two problems that keep me unable to believe:
1 The letter h is lowercase, which to me points so strongly towards Ghiradelli.
2. I understand that it is called the Great Highway, but in all my years in SF(1981-2003) I have never once heard that road called the Great Highway. Maybe It's personal observation bias, so take that with a grain of salt.

Based on many previous posts, I am gonna start with Alcatraz. NOT because I believe alcatraz is correct, but because I believe it is easiest to eliminate. There's gotta be tons of photos from Alcatraz available from 1982, it's one of the most photographed parts of SF. Don't dismiss Hoopaloops' theory above that suggests it might be a door in a stone wall. I'd love help scouring A-traz from all angles, please... That window really grips me.

Also, lightly, the 8th of weed clue strongly points to Golden Gate Park. One time I bought an eighth of shrooms there from someone who looks like that lady, and I totally saw that dragon.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 28, 2013

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

davey4283 posted:

We took a jillion of those pics like 40 pages back

Right and they were great. I really liked the parking garage pattern,

I was more wondering if people thought perspective would matter, if it ever mattered in Chicago/Cleveland and if anyone has ideas for any new/old spots they want photographed. I guess I can just read up on Chicago Cleveland.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 28, 2013

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Alright, I've got a couple photographers who are excited to take pics of whatever we want in Milwaukee downtown. They go into town about every two weeks so don't get too excited.

But what should we tell them to photograph?

Obviously the area around that "wunderstone" in Juneau needs more photos. But before I do that I have a couple of questions:

- The engraving of the founder that's an EXACT match of the position of the juggler in the painting... where is that? Can I get a full picture of what that's on? So far, people have just shown a long shot of the founder's statue, then cut to a close up of that engraving which is something completely different.

- Where in his explorations does lemontiger actually pass/enter Juneau park? They seem to be following directions meticulously (albeit kind of crazily), but then they just start talking about the park seemingly at random: http://www.lemontiger.co.uk/images/misc/thesecret/milwaukee.pdf.

- Bridges. How many bridges are in Juneau park? The verse clearly mentions a bridge, that's right before it starts giving really specific directions like 100 paces. I might ask my photographers for bridges too

- That shape under the right cuff, and the design in the fold of the road on the left... have we spotted anything matching these. It's such a weird shape and that design is obviously intentional, makes me think it might be the final landmark at which the casque is buried.

Edit: The proud tall fifth refers to a tree, as we have surmised previously: There are four references to trees preceding it, and what else could a proud tall fifth be (besides what Preiss drank before writing the verse). So if there was a tree next to the rhyolite wonderstone, I bet that's where it was buried. The only two problems I have are the word "hearth," why does he refer to that? Also he doesn't actually seem to reference the wonderstone as a location, but as a mark on the tree (a letter from the country of wonderstone's hearth)... wtf could that be?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 7, 2013

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Just did some digging and Octavia does mean "The Eighth" as in the eighth child born. That makes sense I thought it odd that none of the definitions I found involved the number 8.

Also I found that sculpture of Juneau which matches the juggler. It was probably already posted, sorry, but it appears to be from the base of the statue of Juneau.
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQvDH1AEBilt8fmu9j2hXa59mEXtD1DudoF4zD0p0xnXqgICsL

Hass anyone talked to these folks? They do archaeological digs in Juneau park
http://distantmirror.wordpress.com/2010/05/05/rediscovering-the-lost-neighborhood-of-juneautown/

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 7, 2013

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

crashdome posted:

Everything

It's on the southern side of the statue.

Not specified. You can tell because it's the part where he's confused what the "three staying west" means. Basically to get to Juneau from lake Park, you have to travel quite a bit south although it is all bike trail. He could pass three intersections of trail, pass three trees, statues, etc.. it doesn't matter if you stay on the west side which is parallel to Lincoln Mem Drive and then come up by the war memorial (by the Wonderstone).

There are no bridges in Juneau Park. There is, however, a bunch of them in the surrounding park areas (Juneau Park is connected to other parks). Lake Park on the north end has two large bridges that go over smaller park trails (rock and soil - not concrete) and it is a good fit for the verses even including the paces part. It seems silly though, because you come out on Lincoln Memorial Drive which is the "step on copper" you started at if you follow the theory. So it took you UP.. then DOWN.. and right back to the street you started on. And then.. to get to Juneau you have to travel about a mile south, then going back up a hill somewhere. If you look on Google maps, Lincoln Memorial Drive is actually the base of a hill and follows the contour of it. If you go below the bridge at the lighthouse, you are just walking from the upper part back down to Lincoln Memorial. Now, maybe he just wanted us to stay on foot trails and not the street??

I've looked everywhere. If it's a tree, good luck finding an exact match now.

There is a statue of Leif Erickson north of Juneau that has Rune lettering on it but, it doesn't fit the verses. You'd have to travel north again.

The wonderstone pointed out by Blur Radial is a nice spot to dig. There is a road that goes to the War Memorial/Art Museum and it crosses Lincoln Memorial Drive, or rather, goes above it. The Wonderstone is on a hill that is on the northern side of that road/bridge. There is also a flag there which has some images on it. Unfortunately, the flag cannot be the final spot as it's entirely on concrete.

See this image:

Edit: I've also tried to dig up what "fifth" could mean in relation to objects. I tried fifth Mayor (George H Wlaker - no statue exists that I found), Fifth child (Leif was third), Fifth Statue, etc.. and couldn't find a match based on 1980's info. Doesn't mean I have accurate info though. If it's a tree, we need to find "the letter" first.

Edit 2: I get the feeling "step on nature, cast in copper" or the texture in the image is the brown and dying pine needles of a park floor that happens right about now (October when this was supposedly done?). I've been waiting for this so I can travel around and check the ground for any large pine needle concentrations. Problem is that you can find that texture of pine needles in almost any park in Milwaukee. If we start on Locust street and head East to Lake Park, we could fit the move past the light house and down the bridge to LMD. Travel south staying west will take us to the stone. Trees have changed in that area though. It would be a big "guess" to dig near the stone.

Dude or madam, you're awesome. I hope you keep following this thread because I greatly enjoyed your feedback.

Smurf, it's hard to tell just from the images what's what. I'll definitely ask my mke people to take a look and get an exact shape of that rock

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Wow Bluradial, huge pieces that could be to the puzzle.
Well done on that article, quite informative!

I kind of feel that we've eliminated so much, we're back at square one. That's okay, though.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 8, 2013

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Oh yes! This thread is back. I actually had a dream last night we found the San Francisco one.

Is there another treasure hunt book we could scour? Feels like we've done this one to death, and I remember these hunts were a big fad in the 80s

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Visiting milwaukee the first week of October to see a fellow fan of this thread. We have Sunday afternoon free. Not sure I could provide anything that the author of that excellent article didn't already show, but if someone's got a lead and wants some photos, we could snap 'em.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Hmmm... Pacific northwest... Unbelievably long explanation ...
This is a parachute account for Urban Smurf, isn't it?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
NBB, would it be possible to post just a few of the general clues that you've solved? I know I would find that quite exciting

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

xie posted:

Preiss visited each city and snapped Polaroids along the way. He then mailed them to the illustrator to incorporate in the paintings. Many of them are directly hidden in the paintings, and others are more subtly expressed. Obvious ones: water tower in Chicago, pillars in Cleveland, legeater in Montreal.

So... What you're saying is that some of the illustrations contain real life landmarks? I don't get how this is isn't obvious. Not hating, I just think your explanation of what you are using Polaroid to refer to isn't clear.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

xie posted:

gently caress it, right? Why take it to PM. If it's where I thought it was, and I have what I think is a pretty solid start location, path with confirmed images along the way, and solve for the verse... it's been a parking lot for a long time.

The site is closed because of Sandy, and I think there's some value in going there, but if it was in Liberty State I think Preiss made a big mistake - the park was very new (opened for the bicentennial) and continues to undergo development to this day. So much of the site has physically changed (there's a gigantic boardwalk now, entire monuments, etc.) and in the 80s or early 90s they turned the area behind the railroad terminal into a parking lot.

I believe it was buried near the train yard with a fairly high degree of certainty.

You take the ferry to/from Liberty Island to find the long arm of the statue of liberty. You take the ferry from Liberty Island to Liberty State Park which only runs in the summer (as stated in the verse), and get off at the Central Railroad of NJ terminal, which is the key to this puzzle. This is the site you're meant to explore.

On the rear of the Ellis Island Ferry Terminal (depicted from above in the bottom left most window, the red ferry slip), and as a likely outline (of the entire building seen from the rear, or the NJ side, NOT the NY side) in the window next to it, and with the beak of the bird being visible on Gargoyles on the terminal.

The ferry drops you off at the tip of Liberty State Park near the old train yard. Which looks like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Railroad_of_New_Jersey_Terminal

A few things should immediately jump out at you. One, the central clock is depicted in the bottom right "window" of Painting #12. Two, the shape of the windows matches the shape of the painting in #12 (which is unique), and the placement of the windows is also very close to windows found around the building.

The sign that still speaks of Indies Natives is because the terminal (and the entire area) used to be known as Communipaw Terminal, or Communipaw. The original native name for the area.

The Natives still speak of He of Hard Word in 3 vols - this is the trickiest solve in this verse, and it's clever. It can be solved fairly simply: Washington Irving spent extensive time in the area and wrote 3 short stories about Communipaw. The "of Hard word" is an unneccessary literary reference (there are little winks and nods from Preiss throughout like this, but they aren't needed to find the casque) to Irving's Sleepy Hollow, which contains a line mentioned here: http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threads/162369-quot-hard-quot-word

Irving uses "hard" to mean "very near" or "close to" and I think that's a double/triple meaning clue for the very astute literary nerds (which Preiss absolutely was).

The rest is somewhat nebulous as the site has changed a lot. I think it was behind the train terminal, which is shaped like the woman's dress.

The reason I believe it's behind the train yard is because when you look at the dress as the train yard and then look at the location of the droplets of water, they line up exactly with the location of 3 structures on the property. The 4th droplet in the painting is the gem.

When you go behind the train yard you hit the final line in the verse:

"Or gaze north
Toward the Isle of B"

From behind the train yard you face due south and look toward Liberty Island a/k/a Bedloe's Island (Isle of B)

But why don't you look north? Because dead south from behind the train yard is North Cove. So you look right at NORTH, but you're actually looking at the Isle of B.

Of course, gently caress everything, right? We never know if we have the right verse in the first place, or that it's really NY :) Either way the whole area's been wrecked, and still isn't open from Sandy damage.

Thanks for posting the interesting theory.

Why would preiss call liberty island island of B rather than island of L? It's not like it's a key clue to the puzzle, why intentionally obfuscate things?
How would you know where specifically in the parking lot/train yard to dig?
I was following along in agreement until you got to the Irving stuff, then I couldn't keep up with the mental gymnastics.
Still, keep in mind this is just my opinion and i've been wrong befoe, thanks for putting this out there.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

xie posted:

Liberty Island's original name is Bedloe's Island, it's barely an obfuscation.

Come on, now, the Island was renamed in 1956. I wouldn't bury a treasure in Thailand, then leave a clue "it's in the country that starts with the letter 'S'" (for Siam).

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

xie posted:

Yeah, I basically got it as far as you see right here and then my job (as it does from time to time) blew up, since I work in Higher Ed. I haven't had any time to visit during the day since Sept.

There's a big "stand on the shoulders of giants" component to this - I didn't deduce or find most of the Polaroids that exist between the Storrow Compass and here. There is a huge one that is almost unmistakable at the start location, as well as another very small one that is almost photorealistic in detail.

I wish I had a photo from standing at the compass, but my phone camera was broken at the time. If you stand at the Storrow Compass and look at the Prudential, it looks exactly like the shape (rotated upside down, just rotate the book you're holding) of the portal (this is the compass in front of you) and the pillars behind the woman. The pillars are the Pru, including the "box" effect the facade of the Pru gives you (anyone from here will understand what I mean) being the 3 "boxes" on the front of her robe. (the ones with the swirly poo poo on them, which I have nothing on).

It's fairly obvious when you're standing there, and there's another, smaller image that is on the actual compass, and is unmistakable as a small but photo-realistic polaroid.

One of the important things about Boston is the depiction of the hatch shell in the painting from above. There are other Polaroid matches that can be found as you walk along the path from the Compass to the Hatch Shell to the Longfellow to the Rowland Institute/Esplanade. The hatch shell tells you it has to be more-or-less near the real hatch shell, and the numerous Polaroids that can be found in the area confirm it. The rest takes some time to tease out, I don't think there's any harm in admitting that.

Possibly I have it backward, and you end where I think you start. I can't rule that out, but it's a very difficult spot to dig.

I'm sorry, I just strongly disagree with this. This is a riddle. Why not just say "Where Mozart and Beethoven are cast in stone" or do any of this at all? Go search Q4T for "Bedloe" - it has been a common theory even without the rest.

There may even be/have been signage referring to it, and if not, you started on Liberty Island. This is barely an obfuscation, the name had been changed <25 years prior. I assure you as a native NYer this is not particularly obscure.

Obviously it's not something you can prove on the internet, and something important to remember is that neither solved puzzle has 100% of the verse solved correctly. To this day the Chicago finders argue with Preiss' interpretation of one of the clues, and many just weren't properly solved, or were vaguely solved in both Cleveland and Chicago. In both instances they found the correct park, in neither do they have a fully linear solve.

Ain't trying to hate. I certainly don't want sleuths like you to stop posting your theories. It's the only thing keeping this thread alive. I'm just playing the devil's advocate for constructive reasons. I do appreciate your posting your ideas. Please understand, though, I make puzzles as an amatuer 3x times a week. Telltale even hired me as the chief puzzle-maker for Puzzle Agent 2, based solely on my body of work. While that's def small-potatoes in the puzzles world, I know a thing or two about puzzles, and I'd never use "Isle of B" as a moniker for Liberty Island.

Also, some dig advice: Do what the author did... Dig with a lookout. Somebody comes around, walk into the woods, be like "I don't know what's up. That ain't my shovel." My mom was a federal auditor for the national parks for 35 years... even post 9/11 / subsequent bombings...they really don't care about trying to bust people who are acting chill and maybe/maybe not digging a hole.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Nov 8, 2014

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Still, no one can find anything close to resembling that window at alcatraz, nor anywhere else.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Merlot Brougham posted:

We could be looking for that exact window, or it could be symbolic. The Chicago cask never would have been discovered if the guys deciphering image 5 spent the entire time looking for anything close to resembling "that windmill in Chicago" rather than understanding it was symbolic of the "windy city". It very well could just be a clue that narrows the image in to San Francisco as a starting point. From there you are able to zero in on more specifics such as the local parks that may have maps hidden in the image (like GGP), or unique local landmarks, such as the Ghirardelli building.

It's a window. How does that symbolically help us realize its San Francisco? If i want to reference Alcatraz, there are about a thousand symbols I could use, none of which would be a window.

The illustration is generally China themed. Chinatown is about a mile or so in back of Ghirardelli square. I certainly can't recall being able to see the backwards Gh from a point in ChinTown when I was growing up in sf during the 1980s, but is it possible?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
i'm pretty sure the location of the New York cask is Preiss' grave.

Let's get digging.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
There's a road called "Isle of B" in Northern Wisconsin.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Sorry, I've read this thread and know it's in here, but I forgot:
What are the obstacles keeping people from finding the Lauderdale cask?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Urban Smurf posted:

I prefer to think the puzzles are very well designed. BP had to have known a generic shape would be ineffective. I believe each painting holds a unique signature to the objects necessary for final reference to cask position.

I have a prediction that the wrinkles on the right side boot or pant leg of Thaddeus Kosciuszko will be a strong match to the interior pattern on the juggler's cape. If anyone in Milwaukie has a chance to take a photo, I'd be grateful.

I wish this to be true. But the fact that BP thought it was going to be easy, yet only 1/6 the casks have been dug up 32 years later is, to me, a huge red flag that he wasn't the best/most experienced puzzle designer.

ithink each puzzle suffers from a serious error in showing what to do for the last 10%. We either know to take a giant step from...? Or the cask is simply not aligned with an image.

I think this is heavily supported by the fact that the Chicago cask was not close enough to the fencepost for them to excavate it in one afternoon, and that the Cleveland cask took a huge amount of diggin even though he matched up the wall perfectly.

I also think its weird that Preiss didn't try to capitalize off of the resurgent interest in the early 2000s by selling hints or something.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 16, 2014

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Might be a clue. Can you get a photo of the position the state trooper's hands were in?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

xie posted:

Just because it gets posted doesn't mean I think it's important or "a match." Just some stuff I don't think anyone has looked at.

So pics of your dick come next, I assume?

I kid, I kid. Let's hear it for xie, he's alright!

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 18, 2014

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

xie posted:

my dick is a perfect match for the John Hancock building in boston.

:vince:

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

DeNofa posted:

Where do you get this from? Can you post the breakdown of one of those examples? I see that it says Russia and Topaz together, but how did we put that with NY and Image 12?

I think it's that the pics, maybe each one, have a loose nationality theme. Cleveland was greece. New york can be seem as Russian because of the spire architecture.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

xie posted:

Because Preiss said they don't. Some people don't buy it but that's what he claims.

I feel like I could make a really good one of these by now. I could probably do at least 5-6 just in Boston that would be very hard to find. Like I said, Harvard is a playground. The problem is that this kind of thing isn't super legal anymore.

The only real issues are burying and boxes, both of which make the user seem terrorist-ey. But there are other ways to hide stuff. I'm sure the geo-cachers in this thread could come up with a bunch of cool ways to hide stuff. I'm thinking a note/key in a film canister can could be hidden away from public view in lots of places. Or even just pick a specific spot, take a picture, and then the person who wins is the one who sends you a pic of that exact same spot.

For me, though, what makes this hunt so inviting is the art. There are so many weird things in each superb fantasy illustration. It's almost... Inviting.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 20, 2014

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

xie posted:

I constantly walk the line between "well designed" and "complete poo poo" for these puzzles.

xie posted:

it loving sucks.

This.

The art is pretty brilliant, it gives clear clues about stuff in the area and the final dig point. Brilliant work by JJP and BP, especially since it seems like they only communicated with a few notes and polaroids.

But the verses, man, they are the most needlessly convoluted stuff I've seen in my extensive work with puzzles. Just say "when you get to the wall count nine stones from the left and then dig." I don't need a whole verse for that. I especially don't need a verse telling me how to walk through a park or take a ferry or whatever when YOU HAVE DRAWN ME A PICTURE OF THE DIG SPOT RIGHT THERE.

Because it seems like the pictures can only get you within a few yards of the dig spot, after which we have to rely on the twisted ramblings of a mad BP, it's really tough to find these casques.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I've been looking all morning, and it really pisses me off that I can't find another state outline in any of the unsolved pictures.

The two solved pictures have an outline of the state in which the casque was located.

Maybe the magician's hair looks like a flipped outline of Wisconsin, but that's the only one where I can even stretch my imagination to see a state outline.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
What do you mean by "straight shot?" I don't understand because any two points on the same plane are a straight shot from each other.
Thanks!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Merlot Brougham posted:

There's the Florida theory that I posted above, which you don't subscribe to. I don't weigh in too strongly either way, but put into the context of the other "negative space" state outline that we know for sure with Image 5/Illinois, I don't see it being as wildly out there. Illinois is also mirrored.

In some images, it's obviously not necessary. For example, Image 2 gives us a very distinct Charleston Harbor, so putting in the state of South Carolina is redundant. You could try shoehorning it into her bottom wing, but I don't see anything. I definitely think every image contains a map of some kind, but it's not always going to be an entire state.

The same situation for Image 3/Roanoke. That's the map for the image, and it's pretty obvious once you know what you're looking at and have combined it with the verse to know this part of the solve is very obviously correct. I think the important thing is to note what artistic liberties were or weren't taken in the ones we are 100% Sure of (Cleveland, Chicago, Roanoke, Charleston).

How about provinces? Probably a tough sell if you aren't a fan of the Florida theory.

I wholeheartedly subscribe to the florida theory.

The reason why not finding states pisses me off is because, as an armchair treasure hunter, I'm never ever going to recogniZe an island, or a fort, or anything but a state, because those are the only geographical shapes with which i am familiar.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

xie posted:

From the actual location of the Terminal Tower you can walk without turning or stopping to the Cleveland Cultural Gardens: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cle...2d41.498386!5i1

But... That's how cities are planned: walking from attraction to attraction without having to stop or turn. I like most of your theories, but I think this one just doesn't hold weight with me personally is all.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Any idea which verse corresponds to Montreal?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Well done, xie, you broke ground.
Can you be lookout while your buddy digs? Or do you really want to be the one who unearths it, which I could understand.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I don't see the lamp in that image at all. I'm trying really hard and I want to believe, but I'm wondering if you posted the wrong pic?

That said, I strongly believe xie is going to find this. We've known the area for a long time, from the "2C" to the green tower of lights. It was only a matter of time before someone put the final pieces together.

I am excited!

Edit: oh poo poo, I see it. Dayum! Mind blown.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 24, 2014

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

xie posted:

All of the lamps in that park have that design and are original :) Theyve been updated to LEDs but the lamps themselves are old. I can't take credit for the match, and I probably wasn't even 'supposed' to post it, but whatever, I think this thread flies pretty under the radar.

This lamp is not unique to this spot, but it is unique to the park (the benches too). The argument exists on what side of the stupid thing in the ground to dig. I say on the side closer to the lamp, looking out at something I believe to be the match for "In truth, be free." But you could make a not awful argument that you should face "All The Letters" instead, putting you on the other side of the box thing.

I firmly expect to dig up a casque here when we can dig. I don't even know where to go next if it's not here.

Why not dig directly under the lamp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Are the Ghiradelli letters down? I can't find them on Google Earth today