Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Occams taser posted:

Of all the romance retold
Men of tales and tunes
Cruel and bold
Seen here
By eyes of old

This is a paraphrase of the introduction to Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson,
Note that there is an actual inhabited Treasure Island in San Francisco Bay.

e: The lady in the NYC picture has the Statue of Liberty's face.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

M42 posted:

Re: SF, that tennis court has got to be the place, there's a huge white building there. However, unless the dude buried the cask 6 feet down in the sand, I doubt it's still there. I mean, 30 years in sand doesn't sound promising.

Worse yet, the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989 did its worst damage in areas with a sandy substrate: "liquefaction" of the soil occurs and things shift. Lafayette is 9 blocks south of the Mission District, which took the worst damage in 1989. Something buried in 1983 in San Francisco sand is almost certainly not in the same place now. (Obviously, it could still be in the same sand pit, but the landmarks might well be wrong.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Absolute Lithops posted:

Unfortunately, the pedestal doesn't match the table clue.

However, it looks like the lamp does!

Whenever I look at the pedestal, it looks like a positive-negative puzzle to me, the kind where you can choose to see either the lamp or two faces depending on whether you focus on the dark or the light. So the pedestal could either be something shaped like the light area in the middle *or* the negative space between two pillars shaped like the two sides.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Puzzle designers always need to get their works tested in advance; things you think are obvious are difficult for other people and vice versa. I helped playtest a Web puzzle game for a friend. Some of the stuff I was stumped by he expected to be a breeze.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

Something else no one seems to have noticed is the odd shadow under her nose. It's far too long to be natural.

If she were a sundial, the shadow of her nose would be at roughly 1 P.M.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I just read James Renner's Boing Boing article. http://boingboing.net/2014/07/15/the-quest-to-find-12-hidden-tr.html He says that in the summer of 2014 he contacted Preiss's widow.

quote:

My first call was to Preiss’s widow and what she said got my heart racing again, the way I felt when I first saw that book in the Bedford library so many years ago. She had just seen the gems, again. They weren’t lost. As far as she was concerned, the game was still on!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

xie posted:

Renner claims the gems are in play, despite a recent email from the artist denying knowledge. Renner was asked to re-confirm and did so. *shrug*
The artist would never have known where the gems were in the first place. He never had access to them. Preiss's wife conceivably would have, and if she says she still does, she's a credible source.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

xie posted:

The more we learn (and I mean actually learn, not speculate about where they are) about how the images are hidden in the paintings, how many of them, etc. It's extremely likely that JJP knew the location of many of them, or could find them.

He had to know what specifically to include and what was important from the packet of pictures Preiss would send him. It's very likely that he knows or knew the solution to more than just Cleveland (which is a location he personally suggested, and was present for the burial of).
Aha! I think we're interpreting "the gems are still in play" differently. My read of the article is that Preiss's widow knows where the actual gems are, not where the casks are, and that if you gave her a key she'd give you the corresponding gem.

Edit: "She had just seen the gems, again. " She can't have seen the casks. That has to refer to the actual prizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The wiki link in the OP seems to be broken again. http://secretwiki.tomburns.net/