Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
I've been lurking for quite some time on this thread and I've been mentally involved (to some degree) with this treasure hunt for about two years. I have a friend who lives in Milwaukee and when I went to visit him recently we walked around where the treasure is said to be. It was really interesting to see in person how the picture aligns with landmarks around the city. Truly a unique sort of experience. Now that the puzzle has a really well-defined solution proposed, it's interesting to know that we were basically right there (since that detailed solution wasn't posed yet at the time).

I check the wiki (which I believe is the most commonly used wiki) often. It looks like they've got 5 of the puzzles nearly solved with proposed solutions. What comes next is some form of approval by a public entity in most cases.

Regardless, my view of these puzzles is that people should err on the side of simplicity. I know that some puzzles were meant to be more difficult than others... but for example, the two solved puzzles each have outlines of the state where the treasure is located. My guess is that the proper state outline exists in each picture.

For example...
http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/page/86302876/Image%2007
If you look at N9 in this picture... I'm pretty sure that is a rotated drawing of the state of Louisiana inside of the white/light wall square. That would help confirm (or at least provide evidence towards) the main idea that this treasure is in New Orleans. I haven't posted that on the wiki... but I'm nearly certain that's what's going on there. If this is true, then I bet the outline of each state is somewhere in each picture. That would help people confirm/deny their more complex solutions, and give precision and clarity to the search.

Looking forward to continuing to lurk and to also post from time to time. This "hunt" is honestly such a unique concept, given the circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Yeah. I think so. Unless the beginning of the proposed solution is way off... then I think this "walkthrough" of sorts holds water. Seems like it's a (large scale perhaps) dig away.
http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/page/103893375/Image%2010%20Verse%208%20Solution

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

NotWearingPants posted:

Cool, have you found state outlines in any other pictures?

Not as of yet. I should probably (re)analyze the pictures to see if I come up with another state outline or two at least. If not, I'm completely open to my simplicity erring theory being incorrect... although I just can't imagine that Byron Priess meant to make this very difficult, given how he spoke about the proposed reason for the hunt. It wasn't meant to be an impossible hunt... but to help sell books, I think. Of course... intention doesn't always match reality.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

HoAssHo posted:

He actually thought the puzzles were too easy and he expected they would be solved right away. It turns out he just wasn't very good at making up puzzles.

I can certainly see that. He's bad at making easily solvable puzzles. Good at making nigh impossible puzzles.

Whenever I see a detailed city/street map with a relation to the picture and/or poem I either think it's incorrect (although it looks very correct usually) or Byron really didn't know how difficult he was making these puzzles.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Urban Smurf posted:

Big news posted by four21thrasher at Q4t:

Josh and the crew of Expedition Unknown are releasing a 12-installment Podcast in coordination with James Renner exploring the puzzles within The Secret. You can access the first episode of James Renner's podcast at the following location: http://thesecretofbyronpreiss.com/podcast/shhh-the-secret-podcast-episode-1

I listened to this podcast, and was surprised by how interesting it was. It basically foreshadows that there will be 12 more podcasts (one for each of the proposed "treasure" locations)... and that there is an entire group of people (including the two men that found the treasure in Chicago) that are focusing on the search by starting over by scratch, and treating each puzzle as exactly that... a puzzle to be solved. I recommend it, should you have about an hour to kill, or so.

Now the question I'm having is... how does one obtain the passwords to access the solution methodologies for each city link listed on this site? Maybe they'll be giving them out in future podcasts...but as of current they all seem locked up.
http://thesecretofbyronpreiss.com/

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

burnstyle posted:

The pages aren't finished yet, they will be unlocked when they are complete.

Glad you like the show.

Is this Burnstyle from the the podcast? If so, that's really cool. If this is you... I tend to agree with your general approach of simple explanations potentially being the best. The tall grass comment had me smirking a bit. Preiss must have thought these would be found very... very fast.

In the latest podcast I also liked the general consensus of some sort of landmark in each painting (except for maybe a few) that you went a direction from... and then the actual poem became linked to where you are, starting at some point straight away from that landmark. The poem itself leads you to the exact spot... and in itself, doesn't cover particularly much ground. I'm blanking on the exact term here. It's not landmark... but... icon?

I'm looking forward to hearing more about the puzzle styles discussed in the first two podcasts (rebus, etc.) possibly being being new (and more proper) methodologies towards finding these "treasures".

Heading to Chicago in the next few months for a work related thing. I plan on just going over to Grant Park and witnessing where that treasure was found. I've been to Chicago a few times, but never checked out that particular spot.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
Oh man... that Q4T nonsense is a "treat". This Josh Cornell character likes to use all caps a lot. Interesting how it appears he's solved several of the puzzles that the entirety of individuals on the internet communicating with one another have not been able to do in years. I don't think I'm jumping to conclusions much here by saying that these new solves are likely a farce. The aggression doesn't help Josh Cornell's case at all.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Drunk Nerds posted:

He's actually found some cool stuff: A door that matches the SF picture better than any I've seen (still not a great match though), a fun new solve with different elements.

If he wasn't a standoffish, condescending weirdo he'd be getting some fans right now.

Yeah, I'm sure I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt here... but it's hard to even go through his puzzles when he sports an attitude of that sort. He loses credibility instantly.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
... whoever "Goldengate" is on Q4T.... I'm getting some serious joy out of reading his JoshCornell take-downs.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
... I have to remark that the first part of the Houston podcast was very good. Interesting how a solve (and what appears to be like the correct solve) can be so spot on, yet be just right next to where the "sure-fire" wiki solve is located (which now seems like it may be incorrect). Looking forward to more podcasts. Listening to the older veterans talk about their decades of experience with the hunt makes one remember just how important it is to retain and maintain historical ties. The history of the Houston, Chicago, and Cleveland puzzles have been remarkably interesting.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
So... it's safe to say this search is finally over then? Nothing is being found. There's some talk that things were -- but "official" places aren't agreeing, etc.

So... it's over, right? Wrap it up, right?

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

.random posted:

Not with that kinda attitude!

That's right. We're mere decades possibly centuries... possibly infinite amount of time away from solving this thing!

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Rondette posted:

I can't believe it's 9 years since I got obsessed with this mystery for a while and got myself weirdly acquainted with parts of random US cities. Good Times, more innocent times.

This feels like me too actually. 2015 or so... for me?

Looking at it now -- it's a mess. Boston solved but some don't... believe? New Orleans probably solved too, but... not believed?

Humans ruin everything.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

BigFactory posted:

The guy two posts up did it. People found Boston and probably New Orleans but it was shattered and it’s tough to say 100%. Boston was found though.

The people who say Boston wasn't found... I really don't get it. The solve was good... the casque thing seemed to be found. I don't... get the naysaying whatsoever. Therefore it's become nearly impossible to care on any level anymore.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

homullus posted:

A few flurries of actual discussion, a minority of it rational, and 12 years of people thinking they're funny when they revive the dead thread to announce that the real treasure was up their own rear end all along or whatever.

... well, was it?

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

homullus posted:

I'm not going to risk my wrists checking asses

thems diggin' wrists

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Treecko posted:

Some goon broke his wrist and never returned lol

And that goon... that nobody liked... was named...

*gasps*

TEDDY ROOSEVELT?!?!

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
did we find all the casques yet?

Excellent! case closed!

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
Me posting here got me back on the Wiki for a little bit 'ere, for the first time in awhile.

I had a thought -- that I hadn't had before, and I'm not sure I've seen it written before, although I'm sure it's been said.

Through all of this puzzle solving -- people are assuming both Priess and Palencar are perfect, and make no errors.

But... in reality, at least these things could have happened anywhere.

1. Priess makes an error originally be it with what he writes, "researches", maps, whatever.
2. Priess makes an error in relaying info to Palencar. (like a bad game of telephone)
3. Palencar makes an error in receiving info from Priess (telephone game issues again)
4. Palencar makes an error in his paintings, even given proper info.

All of the solutions seem to find these two people to be error-free, and almost superhuman in their ability to make no errors.

Just something to think about perhaps...

----
P.S. I'm looking at the San Francisco "proposed solution" on the Wiki and I'm astonished at how convuluted this has become. The "flipping the map horizontally" and then "switching the hands on the picture" and then ... inserting the blue blocks into the map. It all seems impossibly convuluted and therefore, wrong. It has to be simpler.

EconDad fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
switching... the "tried and true" verse/picture combos? I don't know... is that something that seems truly viable? Could be... could be...

The wiki that I used to go to doesn't even acknowledge the Boston find so... there's clearly animosity in these circles.