Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

is the wiki down permanently or only temporarily? I'm getting a 502 gateway error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Well poo poo. Any other source of info out there? I want to review what's been said about #9 before I start posting connections about the things I see in it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok, I'm just gonna post this because the wiki is down and I can't sort through a few hundred pages to see if anyone else has noticed this.

Cask 9, possibly Montreal.

The prominent pattern on the guy's clothing is checkered flags.

His collar and shirt is an oddball shape, which has something of a resemblance to one end of the Formula 1 race track in Montreal:

If you look at the circuit on google maps, the resemblance is even greater, as the various layers of the coat/shirt/neck seem to coincide at least roughly with the river/track/lake at the circuit's south end.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Circuit+Gilles+Villeneuve/@45.5014444,-73.5266022,2251m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xe0144f3fc885389b

That race track was opened in 1978, and it was kind of a big deal because it's on an artificial island, so even if it's not a big deal now, it was a landmark ca. 1980.

Am I doing it right? Sorry to interject in the whole Boston diggy bit, but the thread kept popping up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

No, that's fine, that's what this thread for. It's the super-secret cloak and dagger bullshit that everybody hates.

Care to elaborate on what you mean by that? I'm trying to figure out what it :might: mean, but I can't think of any possibilities (not that I disbelieve you, I'm just new to the thread).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ah. Well, how's my not-so-secret theory?

(e. I should add that was what I guessed could be at stake but I never figured that anyone would be that big of an rear end in a top hat.)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Is it an aerial theory, considering that the shape of a racetrack is really well known, and the artificial island (linked to the World's Fair, btw) is kind of centrepiece too? (in that respect it hits two keywords in verse 6, "water" and the needlessly-capitalized "Fair")

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 12, 2014

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thanks! Cool. Well my theory isn't stupid, but it's not new either. I'll take a closer look.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Even after skimming what you posted there I'm really certain that the key to the Montreal puzzle is the Worlds Fairgrounds, which the racetrack &c are all part of.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

homullus posted:

I wonder whether AAA (or similar) city guides from 1980 are around? He might have used them to decide what things would be "prominent enough" in cities he wasn't intimately familiar with.

That is an excellent idea.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's probably a reference to the Continental Divide.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Homestar Runner posted:

dig count

Urban Smurf - 47
xie - 0

e. clarification to avoid probation: making fun of Urban Smurf's scattergun approach, not complaining about xie.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This is the one I've spent time thinking about. Look at the shape of the guy's collar. It's a pretty tight match for the one end of this racetrack in Montreal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_Gilles_Villeneuve

Which also accounts for the checker shapes.

The Island is Notre-Dame, though. But it's manmade.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This may come as a shock but some of us actually find this thread interesting with or without Xie, and it would be cool if it didn't get locked again because of bitchy shitposters :shrek:ing it up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Urban Smurf posted:

I think I've figured out a way to use every painting as a map. This method isn't easy to explain and it provides only a general direction or area. The main uncertainties are scale and orientation of each anchor point. The decision on what represents an anchor point involves some educated guesswork or insight.

In Chicago it was the Historic Water Tower identifying with the Windmill (utility for pumping water) and links to the Buckingham Fountain, another large iconic structure that pumps or controls water. I've outlined a couple areas that looked interesting. You can see where the area where the casque was found is generally south of the Water Tower and west of the Buckingham Fountain,

In Cleveland the Terminal Tower is southwest of the Greek Gardens. The word "terminus" in Greek architecture is the base point of a statue bust or object springs from the top of a column or plateform. Terminus also means the end of something. Inverting the image so that the Terminal Tower is right side up, the line connecting it's base (terminus) to the end of the Centaur's tail (terminus) looks like a strong connection to the map which connects the two large iconic landmark to the treasure ground,

Now for some speculation for the unsolved SF puzzle for which the Litany of the Jewels poem describes the pearl as follows:

From far Cathay, the dragon's Pearl:
Chaste, perfect as the silver moon.

Chastity is one of the challenges of Moral Conduct. The wikipedia article has a photo (likely a lucky coincidence) that looks similar enough to suggest the painting might support a thematic approach,

The letters G and h are a hint to reverse the image. G = Gates, H = Heaven/Hell

Failed moral conduct = Hell/Alcatraz
Successful or good conduct = Heaven/Golden Gate

I think these two points are linked to the map and result in fixing the orientation of the table top/watch/rose as a corresponding location on the map for Lands End and the Palace of the Legion of Honor.

An important and literal reference to the SF puzzle is this art sculpture, the Gates of Hell, by August Rodin which exists in sections on the grounds of the Palace of the Legion of Honor as the Thinker and the Three Shades,

This doesn't begin to address any specifics of the verses, but perhaps it helps point us in the right general direction.

Her face is conspicuously symmetrical. That shape has to crrespond to something.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My theory is that he tried to dig without permission and he was the one who was arrested for digging in the park at that time and then he lied about it and never came back.

e. elaboration

Because if you remember when he was about to dig, and when he was all enthusiastic, someone was arrested for trying to dig in that very park, right at the crest of when he was getting attention. He said that it wasn't him, but that was also right when the excuses started to roll in. He was probably too embarrassed to admit that he jumped the gun and then was not allowed to dig because he had a restraining order against him.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mods please update thread title to "Let's not solve a 40 year old unsolved treasure hunt!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

either way update 31 to 40