Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ruebennase posted:

now that you mention the colors, those panes sort of look like a colorblindness vision test.
I thought the same thing, but cutting out the panels and running them through this colorblindness simulator doesn't give much of a result.
http://www.color-blindness.com/coblis-color-blindness-simulator/

You can see some patterns in the left pane, but it's not like numbers pop out at you or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

xie posted:

Those windows just don't work for NY unless we throw out everything we know about the solved ones. Nothing looks "kinda like" anything. The Chicago Water Tower, the mounted guy with a drawn bow, the negative space image of the tower in Cleveland, the wall where the Cleveland one was buried, the fountain, cup, and lion's head are all almost exact copies of their real life counterparts.
I completely agree. I want to challenge a few assumptions we've been working on for cask 12.

First, we have the bird that's only somewhat similar to the Chrysler Building gargoyles

Second, the outline of the dress sort of looks like Manhattan if you don't look too closely

Third, the similarity between the woman's face and the Statue of Liberty's face isn't nearly as strong as people are making it out to be. Liberty has a broad, flat nose while the woman's is thin. Liberty has a strong chin and the woman's is a lot softer. They both have their hair parted in the middle, but that's the only similarity I see

I see the 74 in the water, but I think it's a stretch to conclude that the other squiggles are the number 41. I think we should reconsider our certainty that this one is New York and see if it fits anywhere else.

The line "Edwin and Edwina named after him" in Verse 6 seems to be an obvious reference to Edwin Booth and his daughter, if that verse does end up tied to NYC, that gives you the Booth Theater on Broadway, which would tie in nicely with

Of all the romance retold
Men of tales and tunes
Cruel and bold
Seen here
By eyes of old

since Edwin was a Shakespearean actor, and the statue of him in Gramercy Park.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Emacs Headroom posted:

The two solid color panes look like NYU colors. The other ones look like Ishihara plates, but you can't see any numbers or anything in them, which may mean something to do with assuming color-blindness? Like look as if you were color blind?
On the leftmost pane, I see what could be a sideways Ares zodiac sign.

plaguedoctor posted:

In addition, is there a statue that looks like the statue on the cover of Atlas Shrugged in the city somewhere? In the financial district or thereabouts? Atlas = Titan = Giant and all that jazz.
Yes, in front of Rockefeller center. And one of the rings of the armillary is decorated with the zodiac signs, so if that is an Ares symbol in the pane it might be connected.

double edit: there's also a statue of Prometheus, but it's gold, not grey.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 3, 2013

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

PunkNickel posted:

Cask 12

We keep addressing the shape of her gown, but I've only seen it mentioned twice in passing that there is a face in the darkest area of the folds of her gown. Two other people besides myself see a face that's human like. I see a human, and/or a lion ???

The face on the dress doesn't seem like any well known statue in NYC that has been already posted but does anyone else recognize this as some other possible statue or person of significance?

e: is it possible that it could be the statue of liberty's face? The eye and nose seems to match, the mouth is a maybe.
In the inverted image, I'm feeling like it's the statue in the alcove to the right of the entrance to the Public Library (Zeus, I think?) but I can't find a picture of the statue and I haven't seen it in quite a long time.

Queen Gnome posted:

I found a colorblind simulator and it shows nothing for any of the 3 types of colorblindness (green red and blue), so maybe it has to do with a person.
There are actually 8 types and none of them gives any result.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The Walking Dad posted:

Eh that's a grammar issue on wikipedia's end. His entire biography came out in 3 volumes. It's not completely irrelevant, because all the other clues point to the NYC public library and Bryant Park
I think I'm the only person who's come right out and said that I don't think it's necessarily New York, but I have to admit that my immediate reaction after seeing the picture and verse for the first time was "It's in Bryant Park." I'm not sure why I thought that, but it was my first impression.

I stand by my statements that the bird is not a Chrysler building gargoyle and the gown only vaguely resembles Manhattan (as opposed to exact and near-exact outlines in the solved ones.) I'll concede on the Statue of Liberty one because I'm really bad at recognizing faces, even though I only see a superficial resemblance.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

SheepNameKiller posted:

I'm close to 100% sure that that face is indeed the statue of liberty. The chrysler building gargoyle is obviously half accurate and half inaccurate but I feel like the face of the gargoyle is close enough that it's the best guess at the moment.
The shadow of the nose seems like a pretty clear reference now that it's pointed out. Let's make sure we don't jump to conclusions with the gown, though, since we have things like the obvious outline of Ohio. The bird definitely has an art deco eagle's head similar to the Chrysler Building, but as people have mentioned, the rest isn't an eagle. I really think it's worth reexamining those two things and seeing if we can find a better match rather than assuming they're clear references. Maybe it's more abstract and this is one of the harder ones, but don't discount the possibility that the picture isn't NYC or isn't what we think it is in NYC, and look at all of the verses and see if we can find a better match based on that. You could probably spend a lifetime exploring the city and only know a small part of what there is to know about it.

Deteriorata posted:

If he buried it in Bryant park, it's long gone then. They closed it in 1988 and excavated it for an underground archives facility for the library, then rebuilt the park on top of it several feet lower than it had been before. It now looks nothing like it did in 1982.
I really hope it's just a starting point if that's where it was. It was a hunch I can't really justify. I'm not a New Yorker, and my perception is colored by the fact that Bryant Park is usually the first and frequently the only park I see when I walk from Grand Central to wherever I'm going.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How much would it cost to rent ground imaging radar for a day or two?
$1000 a day for a basic unit like the one they used in the Jimmy Hoffa episode of Mythbusters, more for high end stuff like surveying equipment.

I'm not sure how deep it will penetrate the ground, but if you want to try building your own phased array radar, you can do it for a few hundred dollars. http://spectrum.ieee.org/video/geek-life/hands-on/video-build-a-coffeecan-radar

SheepNameKiller posted:

NYC

One of the biggest problems with the bryant park theories is that they're unfalsifiable claims. I would assume that the author would've said before he passed away that the NYC cask was no longer out there to be found unless he was a gigantic dick. Remember that he kept the lockboxes there for over 20 years because he believed these things would one day still be found. And as others have said, if it was at one time in Bryant, it's long gone.
You're probably right, but there is a lot of stuff suggesting it could at least be a starting point. I think it would be worthwhile to take a copy of the mural to the area and look for windows that match.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I've been crawling galleries of NYC architecture trying to find something that matches the panes exactly, or at least 4 squares with 4 panes forming an arch over them, but no luck. The windows of the Level Club are close, but not really a better match than the NY Public Library

Maybe the whole mural is a door and those are window panes in it?

HoboZero posted:

Oh, and it's retarded but I can't stop seeing this:

I read it sideways and saw the bottom one as the Cyrillic И, but no combination of letters that resemble the shapes on her sleeve translates to anything according to Google Translate.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I spent some time looking around NYC to see if the window panes might match a street map. Someone mentioned the double line might be significant and I got all excited when I saw a divided road with a semicircle next to it, but unfortunately it didn't quite match.

I went over Manhattan thoroughly and skimmed over Brooklyn and Queens, but nothing really matches.
I just requested it from Interlibrary Loan, I have an Epson V700 at work, so I can scan when I get it.

justsomedude posted:

Okay, I have to ask this: am I the only one who feels as though all of these guys suggesting that we probe the ground with metal rods have never dug a hole before? I suppose geology can vary quite a bit by region, and so maybe I'm just showing my Appalachian bias (having grown up in upstate New York), but the ground is full of rocks. It can even give a lot of resistance when you're digging into it with a shovel, nevermind trying to shove a vertical rod into it. Man, even trying to shove a metal pole into beach sand takes a lot of effort and is often done with a mallet. Also, these casks are just ceramic pots in fragile plexiglass boxes. Who knows if they'd even provide noticable resistance to a metal rod being driven into the ground. You guys are just going to smash these things without ever knowing you found them.
I suggested people build their own ground penetrating RADAR :colbert:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ruebennase posted:

NYC

Now this has me pretty convinced that the Public Library has to be our starting point. Especially the bit about the double line under the arch.

Not too sure about Bryant park being the end, though. Maybe a lot of that is wishful thinking because that would probably mean the cask was lost to the remodeling, but still.
As others have mentioned, Bryant Park is nowhere near water. Water is prominently featured in the picture, and that foamy wave makes me think seashore.
And then there's the Chrysler seagull. Why? Why put the Chrysler eagle head on a different bird's body and why is it a seagull specifically? It has to mean something.

Of course, the whole of NY is by the sea, and two out of twelve locations confirmed as being near water doesn't really say anything definitive, but still. Why the seagull?

I've been googling seagulls and combinations of Chrysler (and related car manufacturers) for a while now and haven't come up with anything compelling.
There's a play called "The Seagull" by Russian writer Chekov, the DeLorean is one of the most famous examples for gullwing doors and was designed and built by an former Chrysler exec, but I can't see any connection with the play and I think most of the DeLorean's popularity comes from Back to the Future, which wasn't out in 1981.
And seagulls in general apaprently symbolize freedom, some sea god and messengers, none of which really helps.

Any ideas?
This is a stretch, but how about the whirring sound in summer is the Wonder Wheel on Coney Island, the arm that extends over the slender path is the walkway from the boardwalk to the train station as it passes over the sidewalk from the NYC aquarium to the parking lot, where cars abound.

Rockaway Queens is south of both Barren Island and Broad Channel Island, bridges to both pass over a narrow path and cars abound on the bridges. It was originally home to the Lenape tribe, maybe there's some sort of historical marker at one of the parks?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Barfoid 3 posted:

BOSTON

Oh the thing where people skateboard that has two pyramids?

I went to coply and took some pictures. Will post when I get home. One thing is, after looking carefully at every stone arch I could see, it got me thinking. All the stone arches in doorways, windows, etc ALL use uniform size stones and they all have a keystone. I don't know if its even "possible" to have a window or door arch like that. But what if that arch is.. on the ground.

Anyways I am MUCH INTRIGUED by the Phillip Brooks statue at trinity church

Much of te imagery matches the picture including the eagle and what I believe is the shawled face I identified beneath the bird perch. (Jesus shawled in the statue)

There is an arch on the ground that encircles the statue. And there is a little garden behind it.

The above pic is from google images, I will post mine later.
Here's a hi-res one from flickr, Looks like a match for what we can see of the hooded face on the wall to me,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/julz91/2665111876/sizes/o/

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

justsomedude posted:

The Booth Theater was built after Edwin Booth's death, and is named after Booth's Theater, a theater founded and operated by Edwin Booth which closed in 1881. The Booth Theater was built in 1913, and hosted its first production in October 1913. I've been unable to find any significance to May 1913 specifically. Perhaps the building began construction on this date? Also, is it just me, or does the lady in the image under the leftmost archway here really look like she is in an identical pose to Lady Liberty's in the NY
Street View has a pretty decent picture. Not quite a match, she's looking away from us http://goo.gl/maps/8U6Mg

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Speaking of old maps, NYCityMap has aerial photos of most of the city from 1924, 1951, and 1996. No 1980, unfortunately, Click the camera icon at the top for photos, then get infuriated that you have to click buttons instead of clicking and dragging like Google Maps.
http://maps.nyc.gov/doitt/nycitymap/

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 5, 2013

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Nendil posted:

There's a lot of clues unaccounted for, but it's an idea that hasn't been suggested yet. The earliest I can go check out Stern Grove is this Saturday, anyone else up to it sooner than that? My husband is free during the week but he would need a ride down from Sonoma.
Good lead, with so many people seeing this and bouncing ideas off of each other, we may very well solve a couple in a month or two.

I've been putting my money where my mouth is and can't really find anything in the NYC one that matches Philadelphia or D.C. better than it matches New York. I'll keep looking around in those two as well as NYC until we get some solid leads just in case anything sticks. Figures we're left with a not-too-helpful picture and a vague verse, I doubt we'll be able to make much progress without feet on the ground. but once we see something we'll know we have it. I think the whirring in summer line makes Coney Island near Luna Park and Astroland a really good place to look around for anything else that matches the verse.

Incidentally, I still can't see the woman in the mural as looking like the statue of liberty, but since I was the only one who didn't I found and took a face blindness research test. I scored moderate impairment (which is actually better than I expected to score) after picking "I don't know" for a few who confidently identifying Tom Hanks as Elvis Presley and Brad Pitt as Matt Damon, so I guess I'm hit or miss at best on faces.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

NO
Nothing jumped out at me, but if you're familiar with the area, it can't hurt to go over this list and see if something for Ace makes sense.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_(disambiguation)

fanpantstic posted:

Aren't those runes of some sort? I don't know about the flag.
If they are, the one on the left is Anglo Saxon and the one on the right is either mirrored or Younger Futhark.

BJG posted:

I was interested in the idea that the white rock would represent this shape in the coastline...

Google Earth only has back to 1994, but the coastline has change somewhat. Maybe someone can find a map from ~1980 and compare it?

Dr. Benway posted:

Also, has anyone thought of looking at a Rand-McNally Road Atlas circa 81, rather than Google maps? :corsair:
I've been going as far back as I could on Google Earth and anywhere else I can find like NYCityMaps, if I'm in the group that meets in NYC, my first stop will be the public library to check out historical maps.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Fistgrrl posted:

What the hell? He says at the end of the article that someone was instructed to spill the beans if something happened to him, which did. Did you ask the wife about that?
I'd like to think that the illustrator knows more than he's willing to admit, is delighted that people are rekindling interest in something he was such a crucial part of, and is crossing his fingers that someone will find one.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

SheepNameKiller posted:

Yeah the jewels are no longer there unfortunately, finding the cask really just gets you the cask itself. I was unclear on this for a little while too even though it's explicitly stated in the OP.
You have an odd definition of unfortunate if it includes solving a puzzle and literally digging up lost buried treasure.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Houston I'm stopping myself now because past this I think everything is pareidolia. Here's what I see, blow it up all the way (click on the thumbnail's resolution rather than on the image for full size)

It's possible that it's all pareidolia, but I see a few things in the mural

circled top center in red, is a distinct 3. Maybe a 13, maybe a 30, maybe just a 3
circled up toward the top right in yellow is a stylized lion's face in profile, looking left.
circled in green one either side of the yellow circles, shoeprints? These are the ones I see as least likely to have been intentional and mean anything.
circled in light blue on the left edge, a letter? a number? a shape? branches without leaves or with small leaves spelled out obvious numbers, this is both without leaves and loops on itself, so it might mean something.

BJG posted:

(You know Google Earth has a historical imagery feature BTW...?)
Only back to 1994 for most places, unfortunately.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

NYC
It's not exact, but the Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the Transfiguration of Our Lord in Brooklyn is a closer match to the shape of the window panes than anything else I've found, and the silhouette of the church itself is the same general shape/layout. Probably nothing, but I figured I'd toss it out there
http://goo.gl/maps/CEU60

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 7, 2013

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

NYC

I've been staring at picture 12 for a while, and spotted something else. The backwards "41" that people claim does not actually seem to be that. There's an extra shape to the left of it, and when combined, it all makes more of a stylized "S", like a corporate logo of some kind:

(Again, this is with the picture rotated with the top to the left)

As usual, I don't know if I'm just seeing things, so others working on the picture please take a look and offer your own opinions.
I know Preiss said there isn't one in Central Park, but when you point it out, my first thought is the Central Park swan boats. Seems a bit subtle to be a general city clue, we should keep it in mind if anyone narrows it down to specific directions.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

For what it's worth, I took the face in the robe for Cask 12, mirrored it, and lined up the nose to make a complete face.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Molly Bloom posted:

Distorted NYC library lion?
Iit's not an exact match. Here's a quick approximation of what it would look like unfolded.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Fatz posted:

CASK 12 (NYC)

The dots within the arches at the top of the picture remind me so much of the vision tests I have to take every year. I think there's numbers in the one on the left, but I can't quite make it out. Maybe one is the color filter for another?

They look like this to me: (example from google)

I see the Aries astrological sign tilted to the right (in the left panel, not your image,) and I have full color vision.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Very Nice Eraser posted:

I have the book coming in this week or next and I have access to a stupidly-high-detail imaging system at work if anybody wants high res images of certain pages or parts of pages.
From the few scans we've seen, it looks like it can't hurt to have more copies to determine for sure whether something is a subtle detail or just an artifact from the scan or original print. I'm going to scan and photograph the book when I get it so we have another set of really high resolution copies.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

einTier posted:

Generic -- Applies to all pictures and verses
Lots of good advice and good thinking here. We need to approach everything from a standpoint of "What can I find that matches the pictures and verses," not "how can I make the picture/verse fit an accepted theory or my pet theory?"

I'm breaking down Cask 12's image and would like any comments anyone has. I'll note the commonly accepted assumptions, but I think it's worthwhile to think outside the box. I'm using "generally accepted," "thought to be," and "speculated to be" as indicators of the level of confidence people in this thread have in the accuracy of the predictions, with notes where people have suggested explanations that stand out.

The Big Picture

The picture is generally accepted to represent New York City. It is also speculated that the cask is near but not in New York City, largely based on the assumed pairing of the picture with the line from Verse 6 "In the shadow of the grey giant." The nationality represented is generally accepted to be Russian. It has been noted that the picture has a general Art Deco style, which may be significant.

What cities could match the clues in this picture? There are many places in the US with large Russian-American populations.
The latitude and longitude of the city where the cask is buried is thought to be in each picture. Can you find any numbers in the picture? (see section The Water for more on this)

Assuming it is New York City, remember that the city has 5 boroughs and what you see of NYC in pop culture is almost exclusively lower Manhattan. Byron Preiss said very little about the locations of the casks, but stated unequivocally that he did not bury one in Central Park. If you find any matches outside of New York City, see how many matches you can find for other elements of the picture.

The Bird

The bird appears to be a seagull with an eagles' head. It is generally accepted that the bird represents the gargoyles on the Chrysler Building.

Can you find a better match for the bird's head than the gargoyles?
Do the mismatched head and body mean anything?
Do the bird's wings match any statue, geographical feature, or the outline of any manmade construction?
Does the continuation of the line of the window pane onto the bird's wing mean anything or is it just a coincidence?
Does the shape formed by the bird's legs and feet mean anything?

The "Church"

The silhouette appears to be that of a Russian Orthodox church. This could be a general suggestion or a specific landmark. There is no generally accepted match for the church, but it has been speculated that it may be St Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church or the Russion Orthodox Cathedral of the Transfiguration of Our Lord may match.

Can you find a church whose silhouette matches the one in the picture?
If so, where would you have to stand for that silhouette to match the picture?

The Clock

The square clock is generally accepted to be a reference to Times Square. The hour is 11:00, which is generally accepted to indicate the month of November.

Can you find a clock whose face, numerals, or hands match this clock?

The Rectangle

This rectangle could represent a building, monument, or other feature. It has been suggested that it may represent one of the World Trade Center towers, the UN building, or part of a bridge. It has a ratio of approximately 2.72:1, which is Euler's number. The suggestion that it is one of the World Trade Center towers has the most support, but there is no generally accepted match and it is still up for debate. It has been suggested that the rectangle matches the shape of Ellis Island.

Can you match the dimensions or orientation of the rectangle to any building or other object?
Does the 2.72:1 ratio match anything?

The Water

The picture has an aquatic theme (waves, droplets, seagull) and this is thought to be an indication, combined with other clues, that the cask is either buried on an island or near water. It is generally accepted that a 74 and a backwards 41 are visible in the water, approximating the latitude and longitude of New York City (the exact location of 41N 74W is in a wooded area SSW of Old Tappan, New Jersey.) Several individuals have suggested that shapes in the water may match landmarks or symbols.

Are there any numbers, symbols, or outlines in the water?

The Window

The top of the picture resembles a stained glass window. There is a section missing between the bird's wings that is generally accepted to be of significance. The dotted panels are speculated to resemble colorblindness tests, but no clear patterns have been identified in the panes; several colorblind people have mentioned that they see something but aren't sure what, and I suggested that the top left pane contains the zodiac sign for Ares tilted about 45 degrees to the right, but nobody has found anything of apparent significance. It has been speculated that the colors are significant. It has been suggested that the shape of the window is similar to that of the windows of the Russian Orthodox Cathedral of the Transfiguration of Our Lord. It has been speculated that the window pane may be a map, may match a real window, or may represent the shape and/or style of windows of a building that serves as a landmark to help orient the reader when they get to specific directions. Part of the window is missing between the bird's wings, and the panel to the right of the bird does is wider and extends to the left of the center of the window, past where you would expect it to end.

Does the outline of the window panes match a window on any building?
Does the outline of the window match any street map?
What does the notch missing from the pane behind the bird signify?
What does the oversized panel to the right of the bird signify?

The Woman

The woman is the central theme of the picture and generally accepted to offer several clues to general and specific locations.

Do the woman's dress and pose match those of any statue or artwork?

The Woman's Face

The woman's face is generally accepted to be the Statue of Liberty. It is not clear whether this is a general reference to New York City or a reference to a specific location.

Does the woman's face match any statue, artwork, or person better than the Statue of Liberty?
Is she just looking off into the distance?
If not, what is she looking at?

The Woman's Dress

The outline is thought to be an approximation of the outline of Manhattan. The drops of water and jewel are thought to represent islands south of Manhattan.

Does the outline of the dress match any geographic location more closely than Manhattan?
Does the positioning of the water droplets and the jewel match anything on a map?

The Face in the Dress

There appears to be a face in the woman's dress. This could be a clue to a specific location if identified. It It has been suggested that it may represent one of the iconic lion statues in front of the New York Public Library, but this is not generally accepted as it is not an exact match and there are two statues.

Can you find a statue, artwork, or person whose face matches this?

The Sleeves of the Dress

Several people have speculated that the sleeves of the woman's dress may represent geographical or architectural features. One person noted that the white spot at the bottom of the right sleeve may have been hastily added as it lacks the detail and shading of the rest of the dress.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 12, 2013

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

The small hand on the clock looks like a shadow of the large one.
That makes me think sundial, but the shape and layout would be completely wrong for it. If the clock does represent times square, maybe it's a shadow of something, but I don't remember any big flagpoles. The only ball on a pole I can think of is the New Year's ball, but there wouldn't be a shadow of it and 11:00 doesn't make any sense in relation to it.

TX297 posted:

NYC
Just to throw my 0.02c in I'm not convinced it's the Statue of Liberty.
Neither am I, but the reaction to that was a bunch of "yes it is," :spergin:, and being told I'm "literally insane," plus I'm really terrible with faces, so I dropped it.

ExtraNoise posted:

I always thought this looked like an auger seashell.
Can you or anyone think of anything in particular that could represent or is it just part of the water theme, maybe pointing to a location near a beach?

BJG posted:

I'm not convinced the casque was buried in the children's zoo, but I'm pretty convinced that Verse 1 / Image 8 point to Hermann Park. Suggesting that all the Q4T ideas should be discarded because they didn't lead to a casque is ridiculous...it's like saying, well, Einstein failed in his quest for a unified theory, so let's forget all this nonsense about Relativity he came up with and start again. What happens if we bang these two rocks together...?

Over time, people can get too entrenched in particular theories, but let's not chuck out the baby with the bathwater. Hermann Park is by far the best lead anyone has come up with so far.
Going with established theories is great, but I think it's important for people to start seeing if they can find anything else that matches.

Nocheez posted:

I think finding the numbers for Buffalo's lat/long would help confirm this theory. 42.8N/78.8W
OK, have a 78

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Good afternoon and welcome to Hunting For Numbers with GWBBQ. I've been looking around various US cities looking for anything that might match up to the Cask 12 picture, but as people have mentioned, your best bet is to find coordinates for latitude and longitude. Since we haven't anything that unequivocally links it to New York City, grab pairs of numbers, see where you end up, and look for anything that matches the picture.

Using one of the High-Res scans provided by Bankok on page 29, I have gone completely off my rocker and started hunting for anything that might resemble a number. I marked up anything obvious I saw, a few not obvious ones, and a couple that sort of look like numbers but I'm pretty sure aren't. Anyway, here's a bunch of stuff.

TotalHell posted:

Is it fair to say we don't 100% know that any particular verse goes with any particular picture apart from the ones that have been found?
Based on the 982/train clue, I would say that the Houston one is pretty close to 100% certain, and the Xenophon/Thucydides match in Boston is pretty compelling.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I walked all around the library and Xenophon/Thucydides are only on the front.
How are they oriented with respect to cardinal directions? The shadows in the picture from Q4T looked like Xenophon's name was south of Thucydides, might that be an indication to work/look backwards or in reverse order?

Also, the library got my copy in today, and the scans are good enough for finding clues, but the painting are gorgeous and you're missing out if you're not seeing them in print.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

Excellent summary, GWBBQ. The image is maddeningly imprecise, with very few obvious or recognizable landmarks. I assume that once the right spot it found, a lot of it will fall into place - but NYC is a rather large place, and the right place is going to be difficult to track down.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

I like what has been done with "New York" recently in this thread and it might be nice to do with other pictures.
Would you folks like me to do similar breakdowns of other pictures? Living a quick train ride from NYC makes me hope that one of the casks is there, but my hope as a science enthusiast (unfortunately not an actual scientist) is that we question everything that's been proposed and try to find a better match or otherwise disprove the hypotheses that have stood the test of time. I feel like I could provide a more impartial deconstruction of the murals I don't have an emotional investment in than I did of the assumed NYC painting. In fact, I would really like for someone well across the country to break down the symbolism and possible clues in the Cask 12 image without the biased eye through which I view it.

I mentioned in passing that I got my copy of the book from the library at work today, I have at least one observation that I think is very worthwhile to the thread (the presumed Russian Orthodox Church in the Cask 12 image clearly has windows that let the background show through.)

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Viking Blood posted:

Interesting. Would you say it looks more like Transfiguration now than before? Can you make out crosses more distinctly?
No distinct resemblance, no clear crosses, but there are definitely two windows in the tower below the middle dome.

Kingnothing posted:

I can't promise that anyone will get some ground penetrating radar
I'm working on it. I probably won't have it finished until the end of summer, but at that point I'll loan it out to anyone working on this for the cost of shipping/insurance.

Emacs Headroom posted:

Speaking of which those of us in NYC should prove it by doing some scouting this Sunday:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552979

I'm still leaning toward McCarren Park for the first outing/scouting. Not because I think it's the most likely, but it's not insanely far for most people and we can grab a beer afterwards (or some tea for non-drinkers) and plot our next moves in case we don't just hit the jackpot on day 1.
I can't make it this weekend, but I'd really like to scout for clues on Coney Island and Rockaway Beach sometime.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Autumn2May posted:

NYC

I was thinking. If we have the right picture for NYC, maybe the window at the top is a map. The top panes look like long blocks. So maybe there is a church on one block, something rectangular on another, maybe something with a clock on the bottom right, and the something to do with the lady next to it? Then once you find where that area is you use the verse to narrow in on where the box is buried?
I've gone over street maps and historical imagery as far back as I can for NYC and just about every city in the US with a significant Russian-American population; I haven't found anything past a vague resemblance, especially going on the assumption that the irregularities in the panels behind the bird are significant.

stab posted:

there was a turkish protest (wtf) outside the church so didnt feel like going around there too much.
No idea why it would be outside the church, but this is why
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552249

homullus posted:

I did a quick forum search but maybe did it wrong. Has anyone pointed out that those look like runes?
Yes, it's been discussed repeatedly.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Bloke posted:

Great I can forget audubon park.

http://goo.gl/maps/3dHGO

The place where jewels abound has a park called harlequin park, that figure in the clock is a harlequin.
"They may be hidden in your city or your local park or even in your own backyard." Why not all 3?

But anyway, I think the woman in Cask 12 could be Columbia, the national personification of the US.

Columbia Protecting Sceince and Industry - Smithsonian Arts and Industries building. This is the closest to the picture from the book I can find.

The building's windows and arches match the shape of the painting as well as any others we've found. Here's the building back in the 70s

A couple of statues of Columbia that aren't such close matches just to show how she's depicted.

At the Pearl Harbor Memorial

In Washington DC, formerly behind the Speaker of the House's seat in the House of Representatives (not sure where the statue is now.)

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 14, 2013

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Fistgrrl posted:

http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/page/22148559/FrontPage#Status <--not totally complete/accurate, but pretty much what you're asking for.
"From research, it seems that there are only three blue domed Russian Orthodox Churches in the United States: Kodiak, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia"

I sure would like to see a clearer picture of the window above the door of St. Andrews
Street view http://goo.gl/maps/PM7z3
Linked because the author disabled embedding http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancychambers/5194533353/sizes/l/in/photostream/

edit: drat, I was hoping it was the Assumption of Mary, it's not.
http://photos.saintandrewscathedral.org.s3.amazonaws.com/2012_Michael/IMG_2030a.jpg

I'm going through their photos to see if there is a window or painting that looks like the one from the book since they're the right shape, you can browse them easily if you GIS
site:http://saintandrewscathedral.org/

edit2: nope, no matches.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 17, 2013

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I'm almost certain that there's writing on the right side of the wave. Here it is cropped from the high-res scan, you can't really see it in the scan from the OP, but I have a copy of the book and it's definitely there.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Sham I Am posted:

Which image/verse is this in relation too?
NYC/12

justsomedude posted:

The way the word "definitely" is being used in this thread is getting increasingly surreal, huh?
"Definitely there" as in what I'm seeing is in the picture, not a scanning or compression artifact. Now that I'm looking closer, there are faint patterns in the air behind the woman and I can clearly pick out a few letters. There's something in the light area right below the spray from the wave, but I can't quite read it. I'm going to bring the book home and look over it with a magnifying glass, the scans don't quite have the same clarity.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 17, 2013

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

rookhunter posted:

oh boy here we go.
If you don't like someone's reasoning, you're more than welcome to go dig up a cask and prove them wrong.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

rookhunter posted:

I am.

I won't say another word. I'll let urban smurf present his ideas.
I hope you are.

I'm not objecting to disagreement or saying you're wrong, I don't think it's productive for people to voice their disagreement by letting us know they're rolling their eyes and not saying a word about why. We have to face the fact that the success rate with the popular ideas is less than stellar, and it's not hurting anyone for people to look at it with a fresh pair of eyes and see what they can find.

That said, can someone else with a copy of the book look at the pictures under a bright light and tell me if you can see anything in the following locations in the Cask 12 picture? I'm pretty sure I can see patterns, words, and numbers very faintly, but I want to be certain that I'm not looking at printing artifacts or misprinting.

-On the light stripe in the water, all the way to the left, below the spray one word, I think the second letter is an X or K
-Just below the crest of the wave the wave all the way on the right two lines, first letter of the top one might be E, F, or an art deco B with the right edges slanted in toward the left instead of rounded
-Above the red dotted panel in the window and to the left of the bird's wing 8397 on top, 6754 on the bottom, more text further down the arch
-Shapes in the clouds between the flower and the left side of the panel I'm really not sure on this one. I initially thought I saw a lion's face with a crown on its head, now what I thought was the crown looks like the silhouette of a circular classical/neoclassical building with a peaked roof set back from it.

I also see the same patterns that could be faint writing in some of the other paintings' flat areas, if you could also check and see if those are visible in your copy I would appreciate it? In particular, to the right of the ball on the pillar in the Houston one and to the right of the man's hair in the Montreal one. I'm less sure on these last two, but I think I see something in the snow below the outline of Ohio in the Cleveland one and to the right of the windmill in the Chicago one.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I like the idea of thinking that face/back may not be opposite directions, but I think it's a way too much of a stretch to match those cracks to that spot considering you're splitting such a small visual element, rotating and moving part of it, and still ending up with only an approximate match. I could buy it if everything else led to that spot and that was the only missing piece of the puzzle you needed to figure out exactly on where to stand, but even then I don't think it's clear enough. I know the "found in a month" statement was hyperbole, but that's the kind of solution that I would expect from someone these days who wanted to make a puzzle as hard as possible and set a time to find it before gloating about outsmarting the Internet.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

pretz posted:

I've been reading this thread since the start and it's really exciting (and also driving me a little crazy!)
I don't recall reading, have the Lemontiger solutions been completely discredited? Specifically, I read the New York one and some of it was a stretch but there's not much else to go on yet, eh?
Nothing has been completely discredited, but plenty of people have disagreed with those solutions and offered alternatives.

einTier posted:

It wouldn't surprise me. I know you guys are new here, but this is one of the more intelligent and prolific boards on the internet -- not that you'd know from the title.

And the people here can be tenacious bastards about an idea once it gets started. We have many multi-year threads, and when the hive-mind latches onto something, crazy things start to happen. We've completely overrun more than a few online games, and our conquest of Eve Online is absolutely the stuff of legend. That got started the same way as this thread -- just a simple recruitment thread in the general forum. Today it's the longest-lasting and most successful alliance Eve has ever had.

People here are known for doing the impossible. If this forum can't find it, I don't hold much hope for anyone else.
Wouldn't surprise me, either. If we can't figure something out intelligently, we can brute force it. Just look at any breaking news thread, something happens somewhere out in the middle of nowhere and four or five goons jump in on the first page or two to assure everyone they're OK and end up giving us updates hours before the same info makes it to TV or even Internet news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Guuse posted:

I think someone mentioned earlier that he said nowhere that would be dangerous to dig, like right next to a road or something. No graveyards or national monuments would make sense I guess, even back in the much more relaxed time of 1982.
He specifically said no cemeteries, no dangerous places like a rail bed or highway embankment, and I think he also said no military bases. I left the book at home so I can't look it up at the moment.