Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

It's like 60 Minutes on acid.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

Are there animals on the monument? From the Houston picture I'm noticing that the camel pillar doesn't have a shadow.

Also could the line

Our strongest tower of delight
Falls gently
In December night

Be referring to where the shadow of the central tower falls pointing to where to dig? Like some National Treasure poo poo?

I'm willing to bet that the tower (Pioneer Monument) has something to do with those lines, but here's a picture showing that things have been paved over and that the fountains are a new addition.

If only we could find more old pictures...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

Houston, Hermann Park.

EDIT: It looks like I'm not the only one who saw this. http://www.lemontiger.co.uk/images/misc/thesecret/map/

Raccoon Leaf fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 31, 2013

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

I live really close to Hermann Park, and I don't start my new job until Monday, so I have nothing else better to do today than to go and take some pictures.

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

Back from my visit to Hermann Park. I'm sorry to say it was not that productive. A good portion of the park was shut down for private events. There's a Garden Center that was having a staff retreat. They had cops posted at every entrance for some reason. The Miller Outdoor Theater was also blocked off for a children's play. There's a statue called "Atropos Key" on the top of the hill there that I wanted to investigate.

Here are some things, most of which are already obvious:

Single star in the sky = Lone Star = Texas
Numbers = Latitude and Longitude = Houston
Pillar with ball = Outline of the circle at Sam Houston Statue and Reflecting Pool at Hermann Park
982 = Number on Southern Pacific Steam Engine that used to be in Hermann Park (I'm trying to find out exactly where this was)
Seven pillars on image = Seventh Month (July)
Red gem = Ruby (July's Birthstone)
Odd shaped leaf right center in the image = Larkspur (July's Birth Flower)

Here's what I got from a quick Google search of some of the phrases in the verse:
"Fortress North"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortress_North_America
No clue if that would mean something

"Cold as glass"
Mentioned in Ayn Rand's Anthem to describe train tracks. Trains seem to be a big part of Hermann Park, including the old SP 982 and a mini-railroad system that has a whistle. I'm not sure if the mini train was running in the 1980s.

"Friendship south"

Picture I found online while researching the Garden Center

"In the center of four alike
Small, split,
Three winged and slight
What we take to be
Our strongest tower of delight"

The lemontiger guy linked this quote to a Melville piece that talks about falling leaves, locked caskets, and the three Fates.
The logo for Houston Parks & Recreation is a 3-pronged leaf, and one of the three Fates is named Atropos!
HPARD

Atropos Key statue

Lemontiger seems to think it's around the fence at the golf course. I see a few problems with that. First, even if we assume it's there, the golf course has been remodeled, and so it's probably destroyed. Second, he comes up with a scheme involving the number 11 based on the fact that there are pillars in the image and they look like the number 11. I don't think that makes any sense. Third, he ignores a few clues, including "In the center of four alike", which I think is the most important clue to the location (if we figure out what it means).

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

Houston

I know exactly where the rock sculpture in the foreground of this picture is.

If the weather isn't too bad, I might get a picture of that location tomorrow. That might help.

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

Also, could the strange leaf to the upper right of the orb pillar be this ship outline?

The first space shuttle mission was in 1981. The leaf is larkspur.

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

Houston

I took another walk through Hermann Park. I got some more good information about the area. When I got home, I figured out how to get the aerial photographs to work in Google Earth.

Here's 1989:

Someone posted a screenshot of that before and pointed out the steam engine in the bottom right corner. I don't think anyone pointed out the built up area directly opposite of the steam engine. Something was there from at least 1953 until at least 1995. After that, the lake was extended, and that spot was destroyed in the process

Here's 2002:

So why am I so concerned about this? Here's a horrible mock-up of my theory:

Start at the train, go through the "woods", step across the small bridge (the only one that was there at the time), go to this mystery area, get to the spot to dig. Where do you dig? "In the center of four alike" near a sign that has the three "winged" Houston Parks and Recreation Department leaf logo. Dig with your back to the steam engine, so that you can look back from the treasure ground and see it behind the water spout.

I know I'm basing this on a ton of assumptions, including:

1. There was something significant in that spot, and 4 things that were "alike".
2. The HPARD logo been a three-part leaf since before the 1980s.
3. There was a water spout in the lake back then.

I don't think it's in another park. Aside from the obvious 982 connection, the proportions of the sphere and the column match up exactly with the reflecting pool and the Sam Houston monument circle. I know this theory means that it's impossible to find it now, but it's all I have at the moment.

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

We have pretty well confirmed that there was not, in fact, a water spout in McGovern Lake in 1982 (I think somebody said it was added in the early 2000s or something).

A new water spout was put there in the early 2000s. Here's proof that there was a fountain at least as far back as 1991:

via:The 1991 University of Houston Yearbook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raccoon Leaf
Jul 5, 2005

einTier posted:

I'm not 100% sold on it myself. Every time I look over the Hermann Park solution, I am drawn to that damned 982 locomotive and I love the "small of scale, step across" referring to the miniature trains. I can't tell you how much those things call to me.

...and yet, nothing else really seems to fit. Sure, the rhino and camel could refer to the zoo, but if so, why are they different? Why does nothing else in the image fit anywhere in Hermann Park without some serious mental gymnastics? Seriously, in every image that's been solved so far, there's always been very relevant imagery that shows you exactly where the cask is and some very important landmarks to get you in the general vicinity. If the 982 is so goddamn important, where is it in the image? Where are the columns? What's with the columns in the background? Where's the Djinn? The water/smoke/whatever under him?

There's not much in the image, but we can't even seem to definitively match anything there. Long parts of the verse go unmatched. I also think that originally Preiss was helping wilhouse out -- "don't dig there" -- but wilhouse was so stuck on Hermann Park and the Children's Zoo in particular, I don't think he could have been deterred unless Preiss said outright "you will not find it in the zoo or Hermann Park". I still think that his last comments about the dig in the CZ not being a waste but no guarantees about what would be found were a subtle hope that he would finally give up the fool's errand of the park and zoo and look elsewhere -- "all I can say is I". Wilhouse never did figure out what that meant and eventually discarded it even though Preiss apparently thought it was a pretty strong push and important enough to state despite the fact he'd never given such overt hints for other casks.

I've also got some weak theories about it being at Johnson Space Center, but I really can't substantiate them at this time and I'm aware I may just be reaching because I've been looking at space stuff so much in relation to Tranquility Park.

It's not just 982 and the zoo.

There's this:

And the fact that this:

Was written by Herman(n) Melville.

The problem can be attributed to one thing: time. The reason why Hermann Park doesn't fit is because it's gone through major renovations. No theory is going to be airtight.

rookhunter posted:

I called the park and they told me the spouts were installed in the 90s. I few residents I spoke with said they remember no spout and added that the lake was stagnant in the 80s.

1970s

1980s

1990s

Something was in that lake at its west shoreline. It's not in the same spot where the fountain is today, but it definitely looks like a fountain shooting up when you look at the picture from the 90s. There's definitely a shadow. My theory is that is the fountain that's in the picture I posted, which was from 1991. New fountains were put in the lake in its current spot in the 90s or 00s. I'm not saying that I'm right. I'm not hoping I'm right; my theory is that the cask is destroyed. But since you're not saying anything to anyone but Gitmo Moneyson, nobody can check your work.

I'm willing to share what I've found, and I've found more stuff:

I've been trying to figure out what "four alike" could mean, and I think I've found something. There were four bushes or something around the Sam Houston monument.

I'm going to go back and look at the pictures I took around the Sam Houston monument, but I don't remember anything significant.