Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

stabbity posted:

I'm in Milwaukee and my running route takes me past these locations all the time. I'm totally willing to go check places out if people figure out more (I'm terrible at riddles).

I don't think the interpretation of Mitchell is correct. I would guess the Domes - Mitchell Park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

allta posted:

Cask 10:

The Location for this cask is thought to be Milwaukee
Verse 8
View the three stories of Mitchell
As you walk the beating of the world
At a distance in time
From three who lived there
At a distance in space
From woman, with harpsichord
Silently playing
Step on nature
Cast in copper
Ascend the 92 steps
After climbing the grand 200
Pass the compass and reach
The foot of the culvert
Below the bridge
Walk 100 paces
Southeast over rock and soil
To the first young birch
Pass three, staying west
You'll see a letter from the country
Of wonderstone's hearth
On a proud, tall fifth
At its southern foot
The treasure waits.

After looking at the pdf which supposedly tries to interpret the verse and picture I have to say it is 100% wrong. There are few possibilities of where to start but I think it is most likely downtown. The treasure could be in Red Arrow park across from City Hall with an identical view as shown in the picture. This is most likely although the park has changed dramatically since 1982. If the treasure lies there it is gone or buried under concrete.

edit:
The three stories of Mitchell - could be the Mitchell building at Water and Michigan.
walk the beating of the world - could refer to Water Street, trying to think of a street with a name that would mean "beating of the world"
woman with harpsichord - There is a relief of a woman on the pabst theater and a harp(not a harpsichord)
ascend the 92 steps - not sure where that may be? Inside City Hall?

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 31, 2013

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

davey4283 posted:

On Milwaukee:

The 3 stories of mitchell sound like the botanical domes..

The outline of the building in the picture looks like one of the old/condemned VA buildings on the back of the property and you can definitely see the 3 botanical domes of mitchell park from there. I know that there are lots of old stone steps back there too.

There is a lot of property back there, its all public access and sounds plausible since the last 2 were found in similar areas.

Cast in copper.. There are a lot of copper memorial type things on that property since it's very old and protected by the government.

Is anyone else familiar with the Milwaukee VA back grounds? It's been about a year since I went walking back there.

[edit]

Neutrino lol, we gotta brainstorm about this.

"Ascend the 92 steps
The foot of the culvert
Below the bridge
Walk 100 paces"

I was thinking stone steps in a park but I guess it could mean the amount of steps in city hall or something. I'm trying to think of a place in downtown where you could walk up that many stairs and find yourself in a park or public area suitable for burying something like that.

I guess back in the day you could probably bury something in front of a bunch of people without looking very suspicios.

The only thing that is correct in the pdf is the City Hall which is why I was thinking about downtown. At first I thought about the Domes which could be metaphorical stories.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

davey4283 posted:

Upon further review, I'd say that that building is probably city hall. A lot of that guys breakdown sounds far fetched but the steps leading up from lincoln memorial do sound plausible..

Somebody needs to count the steps. If it is 92 then I can see it but most of the other solutions are pretty far-fetched compared to the solutions for the Chicago puzzle. Grand 200 is odd for the next line, I am not sure where to go with that clue. A compass? There may be some large compasses about but am not sure where.

Another link - http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/page/22148466/10_Link

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

davey4283 posted:

Its also hard to say whether or not those steps or any other set of public steps have been remodeled at any point in the past 30 years to be more or less than their previous count.

[Edit]

This is interesting and I'm off today so I think I'm gonna go check some of this stuff out with the dog. You're more than welcome to goonmeet with me on this.

The picture of city hall might only be a reference as to what city this picture/message pertains to. The actual clue might not have anything to do with city hall.

I'll call tomorrow to see what you discovered. I actually work near City Hall and just took a walk over to Red Arrow park on my break and from a certain vantage point that seems to match the picture and other clues in the verse I have a feeling that this could be it. I may do some probing this weekend! Anyone else want to meet on Water Street tomorrow with 3-foot probes?

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 31, 2013

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

davey4283 posted:

I checked out Red Arrow Park and I'm betting that's it too.

The silhouette of city hall is the same as the picture while standing on water st.

I'm pretty sure 'cast in copper' doesn't mean lincoln, it refers to our courthouse downtown like on the back of the penny.

I think the numbers just after that may refer to the steps of the courthouse as well.

I could not find the woman playing the piano however I found a womans face carved above the front of the pabst theatre which may or may not be something.

I think past the culvert refers to the milwaukee river in some way and below the bridge may refer to the foot bridge going over state street from the marcus ampitheater. I'm not sure when that was built though. I'd say 30 years sounds about right though. I know the actual building was erected back in the 60's.

It would make sense if it was said bridge since red arrow pack is south east from it.

I also noted several birch trees at red arrow.

I'm down to meet down there however I work at 5pm so I cant really do anything past 4.

It looks like davey4283 &I will meet down in front of the RedArrow park Starbucks around 2:30 tomorrow if other Milwaukee goons are interested.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

crashdome posted:

I have two birthdays and a graduation this weekend otherwise I would totally be there. I've got a flexible schedule and I enjoy biking so I'd be happy to take pics or wander around looking for things. I have PMs now so feel free to PM me if you need anything.

I am going to admit that I'm not going on much here. So it may not be worth of a long drive. I'm outright ignoring some of the verses and taking directions opposite of what is said. The main evidence I'm using is two part. The first part is the picture and the view of City Hall which is from the middle of Red Arrow park, just off of the sidewalk of Water Street. I don't think it is an accident that the view was chosen, especially with a gem almost centrally shown in that view. The second piece of evidence is the section of the poem:

To the first young birch
Pass three, staying west
Of wonderstone's hearth
On a proud, tall fifth
At its southern foot
The treasure waits.

A few of the other verses seem to refer to the City Hall and Pabst Theater, both of which have been around forever. There are a total of 200 steps from the street to the top of City Hall. 92 steps takes you to the landing at a window where you can see the harp at the top of the Pabst Theater. I understand the difference between a harp and harpsichord but did Byron Preiss? Did he say it to throw people off the trail?

Again, I'm stretching here because none of the trees in the park are birch - they are maples. Two of the trees in that line off the sidewalk have been cut down but the remaining ones seem to be the ones he is referring to. I am assuming that the treasure waits on the south side of the fifth tree and that is where I will look. The part where it refers to the "letter from the country of wonderstone's hearth" I think is a reference to the Red Arrow monument. This is pure conjecture and I'm willing to listen to other guesses but I will take a stab (in the ground) at this spot tomorrow. Hopefully I won't hit any 220V underground lines!

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 1, 2013

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

crashdome posted:

It's only 20 mins to downtown from me via bus (with a bike) and I can wander around and see if I find anything interesting. The fireplace (wonderstone's hearth) has me intrigued simply because it would seem like it refers to something so obvious that it would jump out at you.
The distance in time also has me wondering what it's talking about. As much as a few of the verses seem to be speaking of something we are almost sure about, I feel that without all the clues to tie it all together it will just be incredibly more difficult to find.

edit: Actually, if it was in Red Arrow Park, would it not have been dug up when the rink went in?

Possibly if it was under one of those birch trees DUO TCR mentioned. The tree I was thinking of probing near may have been undisturbed since the 1980s. It's hard to tell. This is what the park looked like in 1983 before the skating rink was built. It was built in 1970. The area along Water Street near Kilbourn may not have changed too much.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 1, 2013

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Cask 10 - Milwaukee

A little field recon with davey4283 this afternoon left us with more questions than answers but clues seem to point to the City Hall, Pabst Theater and Red Arrow Park.

In the City Hall, 92 steps takes you to a landing looking at the Pabst Theater and a large golden harp on the roof. The grand 200 is the number of steps to the top floor. The floor mosaic is a compass. The bell is cast from a mix of metals including copper and the roof towers are copper.

The Pabst Theater has designs similar to that on the neckpiece of the costume that the woman in the illustration is wearing and could be referred to with the verse about the woman and the harpsichord.

This is the view of City Hall from the northeast corner of Water & Kilbourn. Head a half block north and the view will be identical to that shown in the illustration.

This is looking north on Water Street, just north of Kilbourn. Red Arrow Park is on the right. The far trees are birch but the original configuration from the 1982 era is gone.

Possible things to investigate:
In the illustration, the woman is facing away from the back of City Hall and looking west. Is the gem and cask west of that point?

Where is the culvert below the bridge? That will be where we need to make the final walk to find the buried cask.

The last seven verses seem to refer to trees, possibly all birches. Is the "proud, tall fifth" another tree or something else?

Edit:
davey4283 looked a little bit around the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts across the street to the west and seemed to think there may be something there. Looking again at the picture, the gem is directly under a flower which seems to look like the Horsechestnut flower. The grove of trees at the Marcus Center are all Chestnut trees which are flowering right now...

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jun 2, 2013

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

acmpsu21 posted:

Milwaukee...

This doesn't help much for the location of the actual treasure, but I'm about 99.9% sure that the phrases "As you walk the beating of the world, at a distance in time, From three who lived there, in a distance in space" refers to North Old World 3rd Street. It has the word "world," old is the distance in time, 3rd refers to three who lived there, and north is the distance in space.

I'm in Oak Creek until Wednesday morning, so if I can figure more out, I'm willing to scope out the area.

Good thinking but the street name was changed to "Old World Third" in the mid to late 1980s. It was just North 3rd Street in 1982.

On a side note, the 3 who lived there probably refers to the three founders of Milwaukee - Juneau, Kilbourn, and Walker.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 2, 2013

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

acmpsu21 posted:

Milwaukee...

This might either help us or send us in the wrong direction, but some rando, website I found when trying to find out what wonderstone is said this:

http://www.minerals-n-more.com/Wonder_Stone_Info.html

So the letter of the country of wonderstone's hearth might be a letter from the Greek alphabet?

I was thinking literally, like a statue or something made of rhyolite which would be very distinctive.

At a distance in time
At a distance in space
Silently playing
Step on nature
Cast in copper - Either the bell in City Hall or the towers which are clad in copper
Ascend the 92 steps - This takes you to the fourth floor landing
After climbing the grand 200 - The top floor of City Hall is reached after 200 steps.
Pass the compass and reach - A mosaic is on the main floor of City Hall which resembles a compass.
The foot of the culvert - The entrance to City Hall is like a culvert.
Below the bridge - The mayor's office is above the culvert, like a captain's bridge.
Walk 100 paces - See picture below.
To the first young birch
Pass three, staying west
Of wonderstone's hearth
On a proud, tall fifth
At its southern foot
The treasure waits.

100 paces from the base of City Hall is approximately 250 feet which is this radius shown in red. Southeast takes you to a grassy area with some trees. This area needs some investigation.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 3, 2013

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Milwaukee

I like some of the ideas about the Water Tower but I think the premise of starting at Mitchell Hall is flawed. There are a few options for starting this quest and all of them have flaws.

1. Mitchell Hall at UWM - has three three stories. Not centrally located and not the first thing you think of when thinking of Mitchell.
2. Mitchell Park Domes - 3 domes, each are "stories" of different climates. Pretty well known but indirect connection to stories.
3. Mitchell Building at Water and Michigan - Centrally located in the heart of the city. Is not 3 stories and am not sure how to connect it.
4. Mitchell Field - A starting point for travelers, "beating of the world" has a connection to flight and the world. No connection to 3 stories.
5. Mitchell Street - Connections? I can't think of any.
6. Mitchell Mansion aka Wisconsin Club, 9th & Wisconsin - 3 stories and well known.

Honestly, I think the Domes are the best fit but it probably doesn't matter because the next step is to walk a "distance in space". The next part is not easy and I have yet to hear where we find a "woman, with harpsichord". Woman and harp is on the Pabst Theater but a harp is not a harpsichord. I know the city very well but cannot think of a harpsichord pictured anywhere. They are not generally associated with Milwaukee. I visited the Immigrant Mother statue yesterday but see absolutely no similarity between her and the woman in the illustration beyond the fact that they are both women and they both wear a robe with a hood. That is a weak association.

One tricky thing about the verse is to know which verses go together and which starts a new theme. Below, I have separated the entire verse into parts which I think are connected. For example there is a possibility you don't walk 100 paces southeast, you may walk 100 paces and then from there go southeast to the first young birch. These are open to interpretation.

With the idea of the staircase at Lake Park, has anyone counted the steps? I also have never heard it referred to as the "Grand Staircase" as mentioned in the pdf solution. In the pdf I think it is also a weak association to think of the "cast in copper" as being Lincoln Memorial Drive. The association of "Pass three" as being a 30 MPH Speed Limit sign is even weaker. For many years in the 80's and 90's the speed limit there was 25 MPH. There are associations with statues but I cannot see that connection.

Verse

At a distance in time

At a distance in space

Silently playing

Step on nature

Cast in copper

Ascend the 92 steps

The foot of the culvert
Below the bridge

Walk 100 paces

To the first young birch

Pass three, staying west

Of wonderstone's hearth

On a proud, tall fifth
At its southern foot
The treasure waits.

Edit:
acmpsu21, some of the things in the picture need to be looked at more closely. As some of the people in other cities have found, there are important clues in the illustrations. The weird texture on the robe is almost exactly like the striations of rhyolite.

crashdome, I was thinking about Grand 200 as being an address. Wisconsin Avenue used to be called Grand Avenue and Grand 200 would have been the building where Kiku's now is located which in 1982 was what? Probably nothing too important... I'll look it up.
2nd Edit: Around that time 200 Grand or 200 W. Wisconsin Ave. was occupied by Wooden Nickel, a clothing shop that sold jeans and stuff.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 4, 2013

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

BJG posted:

...silently playing...

Marietta Ave, between the University and Lake Park.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marietta_Robusti

It crosses Kenwood Blvd. The "beating of the world" (whirled?) might then refer to Kenwood mixers.

That Marietta is a solid connection right there. Kenwood mixers not so much...

Edit: The main connection I see with "beating of the world" is waves which is why I always think of water. The Lake would be a solid connection IMHO. If someone can count the stairs at Lake Park to see if it is 92 steps, then I might be convinced of this solution.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 4, 2013

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I disagree. Marietta Avenue seems like a stretch to me. There's countless random paintings of a woman with a harpsichord; Marietta's certainly isn't famous nor does she have any connection to Wisconsin in the slightest. I think those lines will relate to something in the environment, not something completely removed from the situation. But hey, I could be wrong.

While they didn't have Google back then, it is the first thing that comes up when you search for "marietta harpsichord".

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 4, 2013

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Milwaukee

Dr. Bit posted:

A couple thoughts about Marquette (that hopefully don't throw us off-track):

In one of the successful searches, the centaur in the picture identified a Greek theme for the quest, and the cask was in the Greek Gardens. In a similar fashion, the robe may be of significance for Milwaukee, and would most likely point to a Marquette/Jesuit theme. That's the only thing I can think of that associates robes with Milwaukee. It's definitely one of the weirder and more striking things about the picture, and my first thought upon seeing the picture was "what does a magician have to do with Milwaukee?" It makes a lot more sense as a Jesuit robe.

So the two big things in the downtown area having to do with Marquette are the University and Pere Marquette Park. If we start at Marquette University, that would put Mitchell's Mansion (now the Wisconsin Club, formerly the Deutscher Club until it was renamed in 1917; it was also started by 3 businessmen, read here for more http://www.wisconsinclub.com/fw/main/History-4.html) at the beginning, which would match up chronologically with the riddle. If we walk down Wisconsin, cross the river and loop around City Hall, placing City Hall later in chronology, then come back around to Pere Marquette Park, that may be the circuit we're supposed to follow.

For people who know the area, and especially the University, it might be worth glancing at that route on google maps and seeing if anything matches up.

Supposedly she is a juggler. The robe is a weird angle but the whole theme of The Secret is fantasy so a robe would fit in that theme. According to one source, each puzzle is supposed to represent a country and Milwaukee's country is Germany. I don't know how that would correspond to Germany.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Emacs Headroom posted:

What if we work backwards, and assume that the author would 1) have to be burying these things, and 2) would have to assume that they wouldn't get dug up or destroyed accidentally for the forseeable future (say 50-100 years).

In NYC, that doesn't leave too many options with the constant development. Even the parks (like Bryant Park) are liable to be dug up occasionally.

If it were me, I'd go either with heritage sites or national parkland or endowed land (like the Cloisters -- endowed by Rockefeller, who might be "he of Hard word?"). It would also have to be somewhere the author had sneaky physical access to though.

He may not have been that forward thinking. Maybe 5-10 years max but sometimes development happens quickly. In Milwaukee the mid-late 80's changed the landscape quickly. As for a time frame, I'm guessing these were buried between 1980-81. The illustrations were done in 1981 so the burial of the casks were probably done beforehand.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

shinything posted:

Milwaukee

While I'm not exactly following this, I did toss the Milwaukee stuff to my mom, who lived downtown through the 70's and early 80's, to see if she had any insight into what things might mean! Basically the things I think are most interesting that she picked up on are the interpretations of "nature cast in copper" being a tree in one of those metal surround-things they use on the south side sometimes, and the "three who lived in space" referring to the Apollo astronauts. If she comes up with anything more useful, I'll post it.

James Lovell was from Milwaukee and there was the Lovell Space Museum under MacArthur Square for a few years in the 1970s. But beyond him, there was no other astronaut from Milwaukee.

The metal tree grate wasn't made from copper or even copper colored so that would be a very flimsy association.

Occams taser posted:

The photoshop tricks are cool and everything, guys.

But I don't think anything more than making the images lighter would do much..(photoshop wasn't around when these paintings were made)

and they were meant to be viewed from the book.

I'm just pointing that out there, and I think maybe some of you are tricking yourself into seeing things by using these "tricks"

Totally agreed. I don't think the artist would have required anyone to resize transparencies of maps or do any other strange transformation. Those clues would have been very visible and obvious if you had a printed map held next to the image but nothing more complex than that. Anything that is faint or too obscure in the picture is a red herring.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 4, 2013

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Athanatos posted:

Milwaukee

Where was this? Gmaps link if you can.

That would be this staircase.

Edit:
I found an aerial photo (crappy quality) of the area around City Hall in 1980. You can compare it with what now exists.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 5, 2013

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Saltin posted:

Milwaukee

I don't know the city at all, but could "A letter from the country" "Of a proud tall fifth" be a reference to the Letter Carrier's Monument, which is at the base of the Germania Building, which happens to have 5 corners (it was also the tallest building in the city when it was built)? I always assumed Letter from the Country referred to the country the puzzle seems to be associated with, which is Germany. It's not too far from the culvert like entrance to city hall and a bridge.

It's definitely not too far away from city hall if you read the puzzle like "walk 100 paces once you're on the far side of the bridge", and the direction is more or less correct?
Just a thought.

Unfortunately the Letter Carriers statue is more recent and was dedicated in 1989. i believe there was a flagpole with some plaque and mostly concrete there previously. It was kind of a dead zone, if I remember correctly.

One clue in the picture that I am trying to pin down is the view of City Hall. I have a feeling that it is very important and have used Google streetview to narrow it down to here. I am going to go around there tomorrow and take a few more pictures to see if I can stand exactly where he took the picture. It may be in a grassy spot near the parking structure of which there are a few. I would like to see if any of the trees are birch. It is hard to tell by the streetview images.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 6, 2013

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Luminous posted:

Local person goes to a library and, likely, uses micro fish fiche to find what is needed.

The best maps showing the most detail are fire insurance maps and you may be able to find them from that time in a library or university. The company that did them was called Sanborn. Otherwise, many libraries or historical societies will have photography files organized by street or even parks. You can find some good stuff there. Aerial photos are pretty easy to find although not with that much detail. You could get lucky though.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Milwaukee

crashdome posted:

I'm beginning to think it's pine needles from what I can connect it to in the painting's ground cover like this:

Goldaline posted:

Milwaukee

This keeps nagging at me every time it comes up. I think the two lines:

Step on nature
Cast in copper

Might be meant to be taken together rather than separately. I know here in Philadelphia we have inlaid copper plaques in the sidewalk in a couple places, is there any kind of thing like that in Milwaukee with some kind of nature motif?

That is a good observation that could be something to look into. Quite a few of the first verses could possibly be referring to something in the Milwaukee Public Museum. Besides Marietta Street, there could be something in the museum of a woman, with harpsichord. It's been awhile since I have explored it but those types of things would be in a museum. The museum is open free for County residents on Monday if someone has the time and would be willing to go exploring there.

The copper streetcar stops were recently placed and were originally on the 16th street viaduct, I believe. I don't think those would help.

The biggest thing that bothers me about the whole "start at Mitchell hall and go to Lake Park" reasoning is why? I think Flewdefur's rules really need to be studied here for a bit. I'm assuming Preiss first came as a visitor to Milwaukee. He will probably get tourist information on the city which will include all of the highlights of places to see. I doubt UWM is going to be on that list and in fact to get to UWM will be more out of the way than to go downtown. Based on Cleveland and Chicago, I think the beginning and end is more centrally located and less obscure.

This is the first page from the 1982 City directory which tells about the city and shows a picture of City Hall. Preiss would probably use something like this as a guide. The article goes on to show pictures of the War Memorial, the domes, the Performing Arts Center, the museum, and Juneau Park. He would probably use these easily recognizable landmarks as clues.

Bankok posted:

Here's a link to scans we did today with an original copy of the book. For some reason I couldn't get them to upload to imgur.com (think because they were over 10mb each) so had to use flickr.

Edit:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46823115@N02/sets/72157633959792176/
Holy poo poo, much better!

This brings me to the second thing in the picture. How does anybody see a locust tree here? I see the smudge as the spiked hair on top of a head looking downwards. The darker spot on the right side is a shoulder of the body. The face is faint but looks like Skeletor.

Double Edit: Or it looks like Robert M. La Follette, deep in thought!!

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 6, 2013

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Infidel Castro posted:

The Miller brewery is probably too far west to be possible, as it's in the Miller Valley around 35th & State St. However, the Pabst brewery is at 9th & Juneau and was still in operation back in 1982.

Schlitz was also still in operation until 1982. Blatz Brewery was still physically there but had been closed for quite a few years previously.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dr. Bit posted:

Milwaukee

Nobody's suggesting it's a locust tree; it's pretty clearly a cicada, which is often called a 17-year locust (that's what everyone was calling them when I was growing up in the 80's, and that's what's been suggested in some of the resources we've been looking at). That could refer either to Locust St or potentially to a locust tree. Probably doesn't refer to a bug carcass, unless someone made a bronze sculpture of one somewhere.

Edit: so if the cask is downtown (which is not close to Locust St), then I suggest people keep an eye out for locust trees. If it's in Lake Park, then it's very likely Locust St has to factor into the directions somehow.

OK, I heard references to Locust tree and I thought that was a stretch. If the bug is a oblique reference then it has to be to the street, not the tree. Locust trees are the most common tree in the city. They are favored along streets by the forestry department.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

The Adama posted:

Cask 10

So, I'm waiting on permission from the property owners to dig, but I'm pretty positive I have Cask 10 figured out, and that it will help with a lot of the others.

If we go with Milwaukie, OR:

I'll put up pics in a bit, but the map overlays with all sort of stuff in the area, and most of the juggled objects correspond with clues.

The ball in her hand is near an area where Mitchell St is divided into three sections by city blocks, and each one is at a different latitude.

The millstone corresponds with Oswego Lake Park, which is roughly in the shape of a harpsichord.

The head of the walking stick aligns with Cedar Island Park.

Cast in copper refers to the key itself, and on the map, it is near Three Creeks Natural Area, but more importantly the on ramp I-205 aka the Grand 200.

The 92 steps means take the exit for 92nd St. Drive on pas West Mount Scott(Compass)

To the Culvert(Johnson Creek Rd.)

This is where you start actually walking.

Walk SE and you will literally find a young birch. And a little farther on to the SE there is a small separate stand of trees. And there are 4 more birch trees there. So pass three more, and the final, fifth birch is where it is buried. I went there, and at the southern foot of that tree was a big rear end rock.

I hope you find it, because the clues don't seem to match too well for Milwaukee, WI.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Milwaukee

TheLastManStanding posted:

It's not almost, it is an exact silhouette.

I have pinpointed the spot the picture was taken and it is directly in front of the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts. I went into the lobby to see if there was anything that resembled a clue but unfortunately it is bare inside; no art at all. I wandered around Pere Marquette Park which is where davey and I looked for a bit last weekend. There are some interesting things to be seen there that I will post later. There are quite a few birch trees which are old at the corner near Old World Third street. Three birches are on a mound which is odd and could be significant. There are several plaques for different things scattered around the park.

I feel so close but there is nothing definite yet to say, "dig here".

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 7, 2013

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Milwaukee

einTier posted:

That's probably a generic clue. If you look at the solved puzzle images, you'll find there's a lot of clues to get you to the general area. For instance, on the Cleveland puzzle, Terminal Tower can be seen -- but that's 5.5 miles from where the treasure was actually found.

I'd like more information on how the poems were matched with the images.

I don't know, the typical view of City Hall is from the front showing the bell tower in all its glory. A view from the rear like that is odd and odd things usually have significance.

I reviewed all of the verses and in the others nothing leaps out as a starting point for Milwaukee.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Milwaukee

crashdome posted:

In other news, I did find this today and like an idiot I didn't take a picture (pic not mine and only one I found on Internet):

I passed RIGHT BY IT when I did my trek along Lincoln Memorial last week and missed it entirely because I was focused on looking for birch trees in the tree line and then wandered over to the flag pole.

Still can't see how it fits yet, it is pretty much the only "compass" I have found and the building in the background is Villa Terrace.

This shows up in the 1995 aerial view on the county maps but I am pretty sure it was built in the early 90's or at the earliest, the late 80's. If you go by it again check the concrete. Generally there is a date stamp on one end or the other with the year.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Milwaukee

A few pictures from Pere Marquette Park.

A plaque on a rock on the northwest corner of the park in front of a birch tree.

A birch tree showing the gnarled roots.

A birch tree showing the branches.

Several older birch trees on the north end of the park.

A weird bicentennial plaque near the historical society building. There is buried treasure here!!

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

How about the whole rest of the book? What else is there in the 200 pages and why are they being ignored?

I think someone is hiding the pages that have the answers on them.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jimong5 posted:

Milwaukee

I was thinking the line "As you walk the beating of the world" might refer to Mason St

Well what else beats?

Hearts - the heart of the city
Drums
Bird wings
Raindrops
Games - someone beats someone else Brewers, Bucks
Sun - sunlight beats down
Beets? - red and juicy
Menomonee River valley was known as the "machine shop of the world". It was also in the heart of the city. If you walked there from the domes it would make sense.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Deteriorata posted:

So let's make this very clear. He made the puzzles with what he perceived as varying degrees of difficulty. He expected one to be found in 30 days, and some might never be found.

The argument that these are all supposed to be superficially easy is not supported by Preiss himself. Some of these are going to be obscure and difficult.

It becomes too easy with technology to over-analyze clues which may not be intended or may not even be there. Look at the morons finding coverups or clues to alien civilization in the satellite photos of the moon and Mars. An artist in 1980s who was not working with computers only had tracing paper and an art projector to work with. Some things that are easy to do today in Illustrator were extremely difficult to do the old way. Artists were creative with the tools they had and they did some amazing stuff with it but it is unlikely they were putting in clues that could only be discovered by technology and Photoshop.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dr. Bit posted:

Milwaukee

This may be helpful, though it's not definitive and it's an early picture. This is an old painted photo (from the 1940's) that shows the river by City Hall. Though some of the buildings cover it up, it looks like there were never any trees along the river where the RiverWalk is now. You can see Pere Marquette Park a little higher in the photo. I was a little concerned that some of the instructions in the verse might have been pointing us to trees that were once along the river and are gone now, but it doesn't look like that's the case. Unless, of course, it's pointing to trees that were ripped out when Pere Marquette was re-landscaped.

EDIT: actually, that's not Pere Marquette Park at the top there. I don't know what that is.

EDIT 2: that green spot at the top is where a bunch of condos are now, perpendicular to Highland Ave. Hopefully those weren't built in the 90's, they look kind of modern on google maps...

Pere Marquette park was created in the very early 1970's after a block of buildings fronting the river were bulldozed and Plankinton Avenue from Kilbourn to State streets was closed off. This picture shows how it looked shortly after it opened. The changes were made by the mid-90's but were not a complete destruction of the old park.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cru Jones posted:

Just checking in, has anyone actually left their computer and moved some dirt?

The quickest way to get shut down and/or arrested is to start digging 3-foot deep trenches in parks. I would hope everyone is going to get the location narrowed down to a few feet, do some test probes and then make a subtle hole until they are absolutely sure the box is there.

When people get to that stage, a good cover will be with a metal detector. Most people don't pay too much attention to some guy with a metal detector looking for pennies in the public park. Another good cover is wearing a safety vest and with a few small seedlings and shovel. You might be able to dig a good sized hole in a park if it looks like you are planting a tree in the hole. If you generally look like a parks employee and have a matching cover story you should be able to dig in broad daylight with a steady stream of passersby without anybody questioning you. Answering any questions by saying you are looking for treasure is most likely going to draw an unwelcome crowd.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dr. Bit posted:

Milwaukee

Well, Grand Avenue Mall opened in 1982. It's located on the 200 block of Wisconsin Ave. (previously called Grand Avenue), and it has this quadruple staircase. I can't count the exact number of steps in the image (or in any image I've found), but if each of them has 23, then that will make your "92 steps." There are also various skywalks in the area that may be the "bridge you walk under." There's also Zeidler Union Square, a park across the street south of the mall.

The mall opened in August of 1982. The book was published in 1982 which most likely means he buried everything prior to the release, possibly in 1981. It is doubtful he buried anything in Milwaukee during the winter so I would think it was most likely buried in the summer of 1981, at the latest, the fall. Most likely he had no knowledge of the Grand Avenue Mall, although the Plankinton Arcade portion was (I think) open. Skywalks didn't exist until later except for a very few.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

crashdome posted:

Those stairs existed long before the mall. I'm still trying to workout the bridge and SE paces by looking at the 1963 aerial map and the 1980 topo. Man, I wish there was a 1980 aerial view.

edit: Here are a few paintings of the interior circa 1920 http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=1920s+Interior+Plankinton+Arcade+Milwaukee+Wisconsin+WI

edit again: I'd like to reiterate to non-natives that even though it was the Plankinton Arcade pre-1982, the street of Wisconsin Avenue was informally the "Grand Avenue" for it's grand buildings/mansions.

What are you trying to find a 1980 aerial view of?

West Wisconsin Avenue was know as Grand Avenue from the 1880s until the early 1930s. It still has kept the identity through time and it was revived with the construction of the mall. The Plankinton Mall portion was kept open during the construction of the Grand Avenue Mall but prior to the opening of the Mall it was kind of decrepit and vacant, almost like it is now again. :(

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Milwaukee

I am almost positive I have the "From woman, with harpsichord" thing figured out. I just had an epiphany and need to take some pictures tomorrow. I think it also ties in with the picture with several things. It is pretty amazing if it matches but that will remain to be seen. Stay tuned!

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Milwaukee

Sorry to keep everyone in suspense.

Silently playing

Compare the shape of the railing which just happens to be beneath the bust of the woman with the shape of the curve of a harpsichord. The railing isn't a literal harpsichord, it mirrors the curve on both sides but the shape is unique to a harpsichord. I'm sure Preiss in his lyrical way saw this connection and painted the scene in his mind of the woman playing the instrument.

Compare the features of the the face on the Pabst Theater with the features on the illustration. The windswept hair is almost identical on the side, the thick pouty lips, the puffy chin, the rounded face, and the aquiline nose. In the painting, even the little patterns in her hair look vaguely like a seashell. The blue around her head reminds you of the sea, so does a seashell. Remember the pattern of the thing around her neck is similar to that on the Pabst Theater? Everything fits 100%.

Notice the balls match the circles on the side of the railing? Juggling = Playing the balls = playing the harpsichord.

I think there are a lot of things here that match a lot stronger than the connection with Marietta.

Now check out this circled park area next to City Hall. There are a few birch trees there. This is about 100 paces from the foot of the culvert, below the bridge(entrance to City Hall). I'd say this is a very good place to start poking around in.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 19, 2013

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Milwaukee

TipsyMc posted:

I think you are right about the woman, Neutrino...

Maybe the cask is inside The Safehouse :eek:

Now that is a possibility I'm more than willing to investigate!

Urban Smurf posted:

Which direction are you coming from to see that "woman with harpsichord"? Btw, she doesn't have any hands, maybe that's why she's silent.
I like the options of starting either at the Domes or the Wisconsin Club. Either is immaterial. They both can lead downtown to the Pabst Theater/City Hall combo which appears to be where most of the clues lead. I think it is foolish to discount the huge clues in the picture of the City Hall. To me it is like a neon beacon. Why someone would attach more meaning to amorphous or difficult clues and overlook an obvious and strong clue is odd.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 19, 2013

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Milwaukee

blurradial posted:

In the book, wonderstone is used as a term for gems the creatures cared about so much. All of these gems were made by Viking Elves. In Juneau Park, there is a statue of Leif Ericson--credited and posed as discoverer of the New World. As they say in Raiders of the Lost Ark--"they're digging in the wrong place" (?)

Wonderstone/Rhyolite generally is picked for use as a decorative polished rock because it has some beautiful striations as shown on this page. You will notice some similarities between those wonderstone samples shown and the texture in the robe. I have been looking for similarities in decorative stonework on various buildings downtown but so far have not found a match. But I haven't looked extensively.

The two red balls that the woman is juggling has got me thinking too. If you are older you may remember the game of Jacks which usually includes two red rubber balls. Google it if you are unsure what I am talking about. Anyway, it is pretty commonly known and the first initial of Jacks is J for Juneau. Add the K in "key" for Kilbourn and the W in "walking stick" for Walker and you have the initials of the 3 founders of Milwaukee. Those are the first three things the juggler is juggling so there must be some significance. Maybe, but those clues don't seem to narrow down the location. They only provide a general indication.

As with the Chicago picture clues, they narrow the location down in a very specific way. This is why I think the picture clues are very specific and are important. The image of the City Hall isn't just a general clue, it is a huge arrow saying "look nearby!", and the same goes for certain clues for the Pabst Theater. In the Chicago picture, the clues of the Art Institute, the Columbian Exposition statue and the fence post narrowed it down to a very specific area around Grant Park. Juneau Park is too far away from the Milwaukee City Hall unfortunately so I hesitate looking for answers there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

homullus posted:

Milwaukee

If it really is verse 8, it calls for walking 100 paces SE over rock and soil. Depending on whether you use the modern "single-step" or traditional "every other step" for a pace (and how long your pace is), you need ~250 to ~500 feet of rock and soil to traverse in the vicinity of city hall.

Just to clarify, the actual verses are:

Walk 100 paces

There is nothing connecting the two verses. They could very well be taken completely separately.

As to your second point - "traditional "every other step" for a pace"? What? The "traditional pace" you mention ended with the Roman empire. I don't think we want to open up an argument about long dead interpretations.