Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Verse #7 may go with San Francisco. It mentions 'Twain's attention' with 'Twain' capitalized (Mark Twain spent time in San Francisco), that may refer to Calaveras County from his story, 'The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County'. The 'giant pole' may refer to Coit Tower.

In the picture for San Francisco, the post that the rose sits on looks like the shape of something--the Coit Tower or a cannon, possibly referring to The Presidio...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Verse 6
Of all the romance retold
Men of tales and tunes
Cruel and bold
Seen here
By eyes of old
Stand and listen to the birds
Hear the cool, clear song of water
Harken to the words:
Freedom at the birth of a century
Or May 1913
Edwin and Edwina named after him
Or on the eighth a scene
Where law defended
Between two arms extended
Below the bar that binds Reference to a publisher or legal bar association...?
Beside the long palm's shadow
Embedded in the sand
Waits the Fair remuneration Capitalized, someone's name...?
White house close at hand.

I'm wondering if the tennis court is the right area. The 'where law defended', 'bar that binds' and 'long palm's shadow' (the long arm of the law?) strike me as referring to courthouse/legal things. 'White House' could refer to the old 'The White House' in SF.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

FL

Sorry if this was posted before...
I see an indian warrior's head in profile, complete with feathers on the back of his head, in the shape of the cliff the conquistador is standing on. The Seminole tribe is predominant in Florida, not sure if they are in and around St. Augustine, though.

Also, I'd suggest cruising used book stores for copies of the book.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 4, 2013

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

ruebennase posted:

NYC

Now this has me pretty convinced that the Public Library has to be our starting point. Especially the bit about the double line under the arch.

Not too sure about Bryant park being the end, though. Maybe a lot of that is wishful thinking because that would probably mean the cask was lost to the remodeling, but still.
As others have mentioned, Bryant Park is nowhere near water. Water is prominently featured in the picture, and that foamy wave makes me think seashore.
And then there's the Chrysler seagull. Why? Why put the Chrysler eagle head on a different bird's body and why is it a seagull specifically? It has to mean something.

Of course, the whole of NY is by the sea, and two out of twelve locations confirmed as being near water doesn't really say anything definitive, but still. Why the seagull?

I've been googling seagulls and combinations of Chrysler (and related car manufacturers) for a while now and haven't come up with anything compelling.
There's a play called "The Seagull" by Russian writer Chekov, the DeLorean is one of the most famous examples for gullwing doors and was designed and built by an former Chrysler exec, but I can't see any connection with the play and I think most of the DeLorean's popularity comes from Back to the Future, which wasn't out in 1981.
And seagulls in general apaprently symbolize freedom, some sea god and messengers, none of which really helps.

Any ideas?

There was a truly insipid, vomitous, horribly popular book in the 70's called 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Livingston_Seagull
Possibly it is a clue...maybe the publishing house (McMillan) at the time is a clue, or the author, or the general subject of the book. Neil Diamond did the crappy song for the crappy movie version.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

TheLastManStanding posted:

That's definitely a small printing error. In the solved cases there we're no tiny clues like that and, as previously stated, there is no precedent for using map overlays.

How the gently caress do you confuse a daisy with a palm tree. If the author wanted you to look for a palm tree he would have had the artist draw a palm tree. A pear is not a moon and it's above the flower, not next to a tree.

Wow, if these get solved, are you gonna go back through the thread and ream every single person who was wrong? Go outside and scream at the birds for tweeting slightly off-key or something.

You never know if one idea will lead you to another that is the one you are looking for. It's called brainstorming dude, didn't you ever do this in high school?