Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepslexic
Jun 26, 2006
Nothing goes here

SteeVeeDee posted:

For the new york one: The Bird in the illustration, I think, is an eagle ornament from the Chrystler Building, which could be the "gray giant" referred to in the verse. However, the lower left panel also shows something like rectangular monolith, which means the "gray giant" could also be one of the old World Trade Towers (previously the grayest and squarest of all buildings in New York).

Edit: The Island of B could be Staten Island.

Seems to be what makes these so tricky, so many interpretations. I'm getting a Queens vibe from this. For one, Staten Island would never be north unless your referring to Grant's Tomb. However the Broad Channel Island is north of Jamaica in queens, which would be the
"Cars abound
Although the sign
Nearby
Speaks of Indies natives"
Queens is also full of Greek Orthadox, with the only church being St. Demetrios south of the botanical gardens. I'd assume the grey arms would be part of the World's Fair exhibit left over, but kinda eh on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepslexic
Jun 26, 2006
Nothing goes here

CronoGamer posted:

Also, agreeing with the other poster on the last page who mentioned Gershwin. Rhapsodic man's soil/roots? He was born in Brooklyn, hence that is where his "roots" are, or his home soil. It might just be referring to NYC in general, but who knows.
Would doubt it, as a majority of NYU was bought and built recently, well after this book. It would also take Washington Square out as they dug that up, and would have found the cask if it was there. No love from anyone on my post on page 2 about it possibly being in queens? I really think it fits at least partially with botanical gardens there. The burough public gardens would also make the most sense to bury things in.

Pepslexic
Jun 26, 2006
Nothing goes here

ruebennase posted:

Yeah, starting out at the UN, crossing via the Queens-Midtown Tunnel (the entrance to which is right at that heliport on FDR) could work.
That would take you to Vernon Blvd, "one branch of the V" could refer to a street crossing or branching off from Vernon.
There are a couple small parks west of Vernon and to the North of those is Roosevelt Island, which used to be called Blackwell Island.
Don't see an obvious connection to a rhapsodic man though.

Actually there are a couple of small parks near there. The rhapsodic man COULD (might be grasping at straws) be Louis Armstrong, who is buried in Queens, as is his "roots", his first home. He starred in a Movie "Rhapsody : Black and White"

Pepslexic
Jun 26, 2006
Nothing goes here

Kingnothing posted:

NYC: Cask #12

So I was looking at the UN building again as an option for our grey giant.

There happens to be an island right off the coast of the UN building's location.

This island, currently called U Thant Island, is legally named Belmont Island. Maybe our isle of B?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U_Thant_Island

Furthermore, there is an Arch on the island called the "Oneness Arch." I can not locate a date for it's construction, but it could be somewhere between 1977 and 1999. This is the best image I could find of it. The island is very small.

I'm hitting a wall here though.

Saddly Belmont Island has been a protected bird sanctuary for a number of years. Would be fairly improbably also due to its size.