Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jul 3, 2004

careful!

In this thread, I am proposing a 12 week listening party to intensively go through the discography of one of the most influential and mysterious bands of the last three decades… SWANS.

Who are Swans? It is the experimental, noise, post-punk, post-rock band of Michael Gira. He once described the reason for the moniker as "Swans are majestic, beautiful looking creatures. With really ugly temperaments." In the coming weeks, you will experience music ranging from some of the darkest, ugliest, most depraved music you have ever heard to the grandest moments of exquisite beauty.

My love affair with Swans started in the mid-90's, when a very weird girl made me listen to Love of Life. The song In the Eyes of Nature particularly grabbed me, and I instantly went on a quest to acquire and listen to all of their material. This journey continues to this day, as there is still material that I have not listened to in depth.

Rather then go on about their music, I figured the best way to appreciate it is to just get started with an extended listening session… One album or collection of EP's per week. Here is the proposed schedule, with links to the albums. I am starting a week late for those that need time acquiring the first album.

Not sure you are up to it? Try this song.

June 9: Filth (optional: Body to Body Job to Job compilation as well as the Swans debut EP)
Recommended album/set: The 2CD set Filth/Body to Body Job to Job available here.

June 16: Cop/Young God
Recommended album/set: The first half of the 2CD set Cop/Young God/Greed/Holy Money available here.

June 23: Greed/Holy Money (optional: Real Love [live] and Public Castration is a Good Idea [live])
Recommended album/set: The second half of the above set.

June 30: Children of God (optional: World of Skin, Kill the Child [live], Feel Good Now [live])
Recommended album/set: The two CD set Children of God/World of Skin available here.

July 7: The Burning World
Recommended: the actual CD available here.

July 14: White Light from the Mouth of Infinity
Recommended: the actual CD which is sadly out-of-print.
Try Spotify or listen on Youtube.

July 21: Love of Life (Optional but recommended: Omniscience)
Recommended: the actual CD's which are sadly out-of-print.
Try Spotify or listen to Love of Life on Youtube here and Omniscience here.

Rest of the albums are still in print:

July 28: The Great Annihilator

August 4: Soundtracks for the Blind

August 11: Swans are Dead

August 18: My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky

August 25: The Seer

Afterwards: Live Material, Angels of Light, Gira solo stuff, Jarboe, etc

Please let me know if there are concerns or recommendations… Possibly to combine a couple albums per week to reduce this entire listening process. This material is vast though, so I think a week per album is best.

Also, regarding purchasing SWANS material: Do check out Young God Records regularly. Michael Gira occasionally releases limited runs of his solo material, a recent live disk, or reissues. These are often done with really cool handmade packaging, even with each print being unique in its artwork, all done by Gira. These go pretty fast, and he also signs it and personalizes it for you ("Thanks <insert your name>!"). I have a few of his solo releases as well as Forever Burned (Burning World compilation) and they are all uniquely numbered and signed by Gira and awesome way to support the band.

80k fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
I realize you'll already have a ton on your plate, but is there any chance of you doing Swans Are Dead at some point? I feel it serves as a pretty good bridge between Soundtracks and My Father, though I may be somewhat biased as it's by far my favorite Swans album.

Old Ash
Dec 29, 2012
I'm in for this. I listened to The Seer a little bit last year after seeing it show up on so many EOTY lists, but it was just so daunting a work that I could never really get into it. This project is also daunting, but if others get on board, I don't think it'll be a problem for me. Swans has always been a band that I hear talked about a lot but that I just haven't given time to at all (which is, sadly, true of other prominent artists as well - too much music, too little time, etc).

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Psycho Mantits posted:

I realize you'll already have a ton on your plate, but is there any chance of you doing Swans Are Dead at some point? I feel it serves as a pretty good bridge between Soundtracks and My Father, though I may be somewhat biased as it's by far my favorite Swans album.

Sure… I was sort of thinking the live albums can be worked in conjunction with the applicable album… But maybe Swans are Dead can get a special week.

As for having a ton on my plate, I was just planning to listen and discuss with you guys. At least half the discography I have not listened to in over 10 years, so this is mostly a chance to reexperience it, and also hopefully help people to find a way to get into the band without being overwhelmed. This is more of a "listen and react together" thing than going into in-depth analysis, although any of that sort of thing would be great as well.

Maybe we can add a 13th week for the live material?

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Old Ash posted:

I'm in for this. I listened to The Seer a little bit last year after seeing it show up on so many EOTY lists, but it was just so daunting a work that I could never really get into it. This project is also daunting, but if others get on board, I don't think it'll be a problem for me. Swans has always been a band that I hear talked about a lot but that I just haven't given time to at all (which is, sadly, true of other prominent artists as well - too much music, too little time, etc).

The Seer was pretty overwhelming for me too. In fact, this listening session will be the chance for me to finally dig deep into it. Even after so many years of listening to Swans, I still have tended to gravitate towards the same small handful of albums.

I'm starting to think that these long group listening sessions may be the best way to force oneself to really explore such prolific artists. For instance, I have listened to Coil for over 15 years, and I still can't wrap my head around their huge catalog. Maybe we can do that someday!

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
This is a cool idea. I'm a big fan of the Greed/Holy Money era as well as a lot of the stuff collected on Various Failures. At one point this was my favorite band but I haven't listened to them much since they started getting Pitchfork popular in the last couple years.

Also just want to post this super cute pic of them when they were young. :glomp:

XMD 5a
Aug 28, 2011

money is flesh
I occasionally do a mini one-day version of this (ie: listen to a couple of tracks from every release in sequence) but a fully-fledged version sounds like fun.

Pretty sure I've got most of the live albums digitally so I'll do those too. Oh, and can't forget about the debut EP.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I'm totally up for this. Swans are a loving ordeal to listen to, but they're so worth it. Will any of Michael Gira's solo work or work with Angels of Light be covered? Drainland and How I Loved You are up there with some of Swans' best material.

EDIT: It should be worth mentioning that for those of us with limited budgets, most of Swans' catalog is up for streaming on Spotify. Filth, Soundtracks for the Blind, and Burning World are all notably unavailable on Spotify, but most of their discography should be up there.

As well, Rdio has most of their albums up for streaming. If anyone here has an Rdio subscription, that place might be worth looking into. Of course, you can probably find all their albums on Youtube or Grooveshark.

On a side note, if this ends up being a success, I think it'd be a good idea to try this for other weird, experimental bands with dense discographies. Coil or Current 93 might also be worth doing something similar for. Of course, Coil might be harder to do, seeing as most of their work is out of print and not likely to come back in print anytime soon.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 2, 2013

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

acephalousuniverse posted:

This is a cool idea. I'm a big fan of the Greed/Holy Money era as well as a lot of the stuff collected on Various Failures. At one point this was my favorite band but I haven't listened to them much since they started getting Pitchfork popular in the last couple years.

The Various Failures era is incredible, but it is too bad the albums are not intact. I was lucky enough to snag a copy of White Light From the Mouth of Infinity back when it was still easy to find, and it is my favorite alongside Children of God.

Yep, I also agree Greed/Holy Money is incredible stuff.

XMD 5a posted:

I occasionally do a mini one-day version of this (ie: listen to a couple of tracks from every release in sequence) but a fully-fledged version sounds like fun.

Pretty sure I've got most of the live albums digitally so I'll do those too. Oh, and can't forget about the debut EP.

Was not sure about including the debut EP since it is so hard to find. Maybe add it in with Filth week for those that have it?

Friends Are Evil posted:

I'm totally up for this. Swans are a loving ordeal to listen to, but they're so worth it. Will any of Michael Gira's solo work or work with Angels of Light be covered? Drainland and How I Loved You are up there with some of Swans' best material.

On a side note, if this ends up being a success, I think it'd be a good idea to try this for other weird, experimental bands with dense discographies. Coil or Current 93 might also be worth doing something similar for. Of course, Coil might be harder to do, seeing as most of their work is out of print and not likely to come back in print anytime soon.

Yea, we should continue with Angels of Light and Gira's solo work afterwards.

I would LOVE to do a Coil runthrough. For awhile, my friend and I tried to collect all the Coil releases but eventually gave up. I am still not sure how many we had left.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Swans are playing in my city in August, I cannot wait. One of my favourite bands ever and I've heard they loving destroy live.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I could be down for this. The only Swans stuff I've really listened to is Cop, Young God and My Father Will Guide Me A Rope To The Sky. I've been meaning to delve deeper into their discography. I'm still kicking myself for missing them live last time they came around.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!
Well, I suppose those that have Filth can get started right away. We can still wait a couple of weeks before we start Cop so others can catch up. But if people request, I can move the schedule up a bit.

dead56k
Sep 23, 2009

the seduction of america's youth

80k posted:

I would LOVE to do a Coil runthrough. For awhile, my friend and I tried to collect all the Coil releases but eventually gave up. I am still not sure how many we had left.

totally second that. coil's discography is deep, there are really interesting areas they went to in their career.

but i think even SWANS is maybe easier for some to digest... some of the late Coil is tough to listen to, so much lyrically and musically going on.

looking forward to digging into the middle period of SWANS, especially the jarboe years.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

I could be down for this. The only Swans stuff I've really listened to is Cop, Young God and My Father Will Guide Me A Rope To The Sky. I've been meaning to delve deeper into their discography. I'm still kicking myself for missing them live last time they came around.

Yeah, you hosed up, cuz that show was incredible.

I might be down for this, though it was only a month or so ago that I was listening to their body of work pretty intensively, so I'm kinda Swans'ed out at the moment.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I'm so down for this. I actually just listened to the Seer for the first time last week and loved it.

Also- for those with Spotify, most of their releases aside from Filth/Body to Body, Burning World, and Soundtracks are on there so go nuts if you've got an account. And if you don't, it's a great excuse to jump on the bandwagon.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I'm so down for this. I actually just listened to the Seer for the first time last week and loved it.

Also- for those with Spotify, most of their releases aside from Filth/Body to Body, Burning World, and Soundtracks are on there so go nuts if you've got an account. And if you don't, it's a great excuse to jump on the bandwagon.

I also just checked YouTube and the full albums are all there as well. Not the greatest option, but at least one can fill in the gap for albums not available on Spotify.

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

acephalousuniverse posted:

Also just want to post this super cute pic of them when they were young. :glomp:

I've got the Cop/Young Cod CD. The liner notes own

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Swans live records are often times better than their studio work. I recommend putting Omniscience and Swans Are Dead on here, and strongly recommend listening to the entirety of White Light From The Mouth of Infinity and Love of Life instead of Various Failures.

So what if you don't like the your decision to put reverb on everything, Michael. I love those records. So do most Swans fans. Rerelease them.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

God Of Paradise posted:

Swans live records are often times better than their studio work. I recommend putting Omniscience and Swans Are Dead on here, and strongly recommend listening to the entirety of White Light From The Mouth of Infinity and Love of Life instead of Various Failures.

So what if you don't like the your decision to put reverb on everything, Michael. I love those records. So do most Swans fans. Rerelease them.

Yeah, with the availability of White Light and Love of Life on Spotify and YouTube, I have taken out the links to Various Failures.

I also added Omniscience to Love of Life week. I agree it is a great sounding live album. I am hesitant to add Swans are Dead to Soundtrack's week just due to the sheer volume, so I am thinking of adding in its own week... I guess 13 weeks is okay? (Edit: Whoops, I am an idiot… It looks like I had counted 12 weeks correctly in the first place accounting for Swans are Dead. I just forgot to put it in there. Fixed now).

I also added Real Love, Kill the Child, and Feel Good Now to its applicable week as optional. I could add the rest of the live albums, but I really didn't want to overwhelm people.

80k fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 3, 2013

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

80k posted:

Yeah, with the availability of White Light and Love of Life on Spotify and YouTube, I have taken out the links to Various Failures.

I also added Omniscience to Love of Life week. I agree it is a great sounding live album. I am hesitant to add Swans are Dead to Soundtrack's week just due to the sheer volume, so I am thinking of adding in its own week... I guess 13 weeks is okay? (Edit: Whoops, I am an idiot… It looks like I had counted 12 weeks correctly in the first place accounting for Swans are Dead. I just forgot to put it in there. Fixed now).

I also added Real Love, Kill the Child, and Feel Good Now to its applicable week as optional. I could add the rest of the live albums, but I really didn't want to overwhelm people.

Just checked. White Light and Love of Life aren't actually on Spotify. They're most likely on YouTube, though.

As for live albums, I really think that Public Castration Is A Good Idea should be put up as an optional album with Greed/Holy Money. The whole album's up on Youtube. It's loving vicious and it demonstrates just how intense Swans' live show was back in the day.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 3, 2013

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Friends Are Evil posted:

Just checked. White Light and Love of Life aren't actually on Spotify. They're most likely on YouTube, though.

As for live albums, I really think that Public Castration Is A Good Idea should be put up as an optional album with Greed/Holy Money. The whole album's up on Youtube. It's loving vicious and it demonstrates just how intense Swans' live show was back in the day.

Dang, the previous folks mentioning Spotify availability must have been referring to Various Failures. Anyway, I put in the YouTube for both of those albums. Those will have to do for those who can't find them.

I also put in Public Castration per your suggestion. I have to admit, it is not one of my favorite live albums, and I prefer Real Love and Kill the Child more, but it is definitely worth putting in there.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

80k posted:

Dang, the previous folks mentioning Spotify availability must have been referring to Various Failures.

I was. I'm sorry about that.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I was. I'm sorry about that.

Heh, no worries. I did think it was a little weird that Spotify would have them.

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

Friends Are Evil posted:

Oh yeah, this would have to be my all-time favourite of theirs. Gets my vote for the coldest, most lifeless album ever made. I used to have a habit listen to it when grocery shopping, not sure why

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I'm up for doing this. I've tried and failed to get into Swans a few times now. I like them I guess, but they never really clicked with me like I feel they ought to.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

dutch wife abc posted:

Oh yeah, this would have to be my all-time favourite of theirs. Gets my vote for the coldest, most lifeless album ever made. I used to have a habit listen to it when grocery shopping, not sure why

Looking forward to getting deeper into that one. I know a Swans fans who also loves that live CD, but I have not listened to it as much as the other early period live albums.

So is anyone getting a head start on Filth? Does anyone think I should move the schedule ahead?

I gave Filth a good listen last night. It is disorienting and all the adjectives typically used for early Swans apply: relentless, emotionally raw, brutal, repetitive, unsettling, cathartic. But I am surprised at how well it moves along, especially knowing what comes next in their catalog. Surprisingly listenable, very industrial sounding. It has been over 10 years since I've listened to this album, and back then, I did not feel like it was a very strong album. But I am already liking it a lot more. My first reaction with this listen was being impressed at how honest and confident it is and how well crafted it is, for what it is. I still think the first couple of songs are the strongest, but there is some incredible stuff in the second third.

Also… the teeth on the cover are a totally normal set of teeth, but the way it is presented is just disgusting. I love it.

n_w_f
Mar 31, 2010

80k posted:

So is anyone getting a head start on Filth? Does anyone think I should move the schedule ahead?

Don't move it ahead. I'm in too. Thank you for starting this thread. Gira and Swans got the lions share of rightful attention for The Seer last year and I remember the post-rock thread covering it, yet appraisal for the whole back catalog is long overdue. Like you, there's still parts of it I haven't fully explored and I've been faithfully listening to Swans as well as Angels of Light for about seven years now.

Filth. This was my first exposure to Swans and because of that are the first sounds I hear when Swans come to mind. The dual drumming approach, coupled with the higher tempos sounds very ingenue and gives this material more accessibility than the following albums. While Cop and Young God succeed in depressing the hell out of me with their mantra like dirges, there's a real liveliness to Filth that seems almost exclusive to the catalog. Gira's vocals on "Weakling" and "Big Strong Boss" (my personal favorite, absolutely adore the percussion) bring to mind a young Rollins. I think Norman Westberg's playing is fantastic and cathartic at once - seldom playing actual riffs, instead complimenting this percussive crunch of the music with inhuman sheets of noise. His playing often sounds like doors opening on rusty hinges, broken transmissions, things breaking. Once again, the dual percussion stands out, no doubt influencing industrial bands who'd employ it to far lesser effect (e.g. Pigface's album "Gub").

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

n_w_f posted:

Gira's vocals on "Weakling" and "Big Strong Boss" (my personal favorite, absolutely adore the percussion) bring to mind a young Rollins.

Rollins has gone on record saying that Swans were a huge influence on him. It was actually one of his spoken word bits where he talked about listening to Cop that introduced me to them way back when.

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

Rollins has gone on record saying that Swans were a huge influence on him. It was actually one of his spoken word bits where he talked about listening to Cop that introduced me to them way back when.

Really? You wouldn't have a link handy, the image of Rollins blasting "NO ONE RAPES THEM LIKE A COP IN JAIL" is bumming me out

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I'm giving Filth another listen right now. Like other people have mentioned, Filth seems surprisingly more hooky and accessible than I remember it being. I remember it sounding more like Greed/Holy Money, but apparently my memories of this album were wrong. It's still really interesting how Westberg seems to play the guitar so much differently than usual.

That threesome of "Big Strong Boss", "Blackout", and "Power for Power" is probably the highlight of Filth. "Weakling"'s really strong, too.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!
A sad bit of news: Not sure how many people know this, but Harry Crosby, the bassist on Filth and Cop, died January 7 of this year. I saw this on Jarboe's Facebook.

I was listening to Filth again just now, and the gritty bass sound is utterly devastating. I'd actually be interested to know what equipment Crosby used. Such a crucial part of the sound of this record.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

He also published Gira's book, which is not very good but interesting if you want to see how he translates the Swans themes/aesthetic into a different medium. It has the really good depiction of being suicidally depressed and the total apathy and cruelty that goes along with that - something Gira seems to get better than a lot of people who try to inhabit that space artistically, obviously because of his well-known closeness to the material - as well as the usual commentary on the fluidity of master/slave relationships and how sadists are often secret masochists and vice versa.

The double percussion on these early Swans albums is so fantastic and well executed. The way it's used to give this almost, like, dubby quality to the drumming, where one drummer will do a kind of lagging echo thing while the other dude keeps going? I don't know how to phrase it.

For people into Public Castration Is A Good Idea I highly recommend the A Long Slow Screw live video which is a great opportunity to see what a sweaty, shirtless, bellowing monster Gira was on stage at that time.

edit: On relistening to Filth right now I think I definitely enjoy the slower, heavier songs to some of the faster more no wave-y stuff on here. I also forgot to post this Beckett piece which I always thought was probably the inspiration for the cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4LDwfKxr-M

acephalousuniverse fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 4, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

dutch wife abc posted:

Really? You wouldn't have a link handy, the image of Rollins blasting "NO ONE RAPES THEM LIKE A COP IN JAIL" is bumming me out

I don't. It was on one of his early '90s spoken word sets probably, but I haven't gone back and listened to that stuff in a long time. He talks about being hassled by a cop while listening to that album.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 4, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Friends Are Evil posted:

EDIT: It should be worth mentioning that for those of us with limited budgets, most of Swans' catalog is up for streaming on Spotify. Filth, Soundtracks for the Blind, and Burning World are all notably unavailable on Spotify, but most of their discography should be up there.

As well, Rdio has most of their albums up for streaming. If anyone here has an Rdio subscription, that place might be worth looking into. Of course, you can probably find all their albums on Youtube or Grooveshark.

I listened to all of Coil's works in release order a few years back, breaking up the Unnatural History comps to put the singles included on them into their chronological position and also listening to compilation tracks that hadn't been included on those releases, using YouTube etc. to do so. Even then there were a few things that are listed in their Brainwashed discography I wasn't able to find. Since then too there have been a lot of demos for their albums circulated to which I haven't given a full listening to, and stuff like the soundtrack to the movie Frisk that has circulated recently that I haven't really investigated.

It did give me a greater appreciation for the timeline of Coil's output and how different releases relate to each other, how a particular sound at a particular time developed, made me notice some songs that seem to have had the same origin. Highly recommended.

edit: I like Current 93 as much as Coil, maybe even more, and have thought about doing the same with them, but the problem for me is that C93 has a million live albums not all of which are very interesting to me, and also some periods in their discography that I just plain don't like as much (some of the folk albums before Thunder Perfect Mind).

Dr. Video Games 0081 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 4, 2013

Jul 3, 2004

careful!
So I finally listened to the out-of-print debut SWANS [EP], which was appended to a now out-of-print Filth reissue, but unavailable with the current double-disk compilation. I know that Gira himself is not a good judge of which of the Swans releases are worth reissuing (his treatment of the post-Children of God era being an example), so I was totally prepared for the possibility that this EP would kick rear end.

I definitely wasn't disappointed. Although three out of the four songs did not do too much for me, Sensitive Skin was incredible and might be a bigger hint of what was to come than anything on Filth. Gira's lyrics are hard to make out and his voice is neither aggressive nor characteristically deep, but the understated delivery as the rhythm plods along is very effective and menacing and makes this one of the more uncomfortable songs of this very early period.

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012

I don't. It was on one of his early '90s spoken word sets probably, but I haven't gone back and listened to that stuff in a long time. He talks about being hassled by a cop while listening to that album.

Rollins suffers from some kind of police anxiety too so I guess he enjoyed that loads

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Are we still doing this? Because I listened to Filth for the first time last night and uh it kicked my loving rear end. I don't know why I slept on that one so long, I easily like it better than Cop or Young God for "Angry Swans" era, the super concise length of the thing lets it just get in, kick your rear end and get out. "Stay Here" goes so hard.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
I liked it a lot, especially the vocal processing on some of the tracks. There are some big gaps in my listening to Swans, and this is one of the albums I've never heard before. I'll still always like later Swans releases better I think, but I'm excited to start from the beginning and go forward to see how the periods I like the most fit into their larger career.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Are we still doing this? Because I listened to Filth for the first time last night and uh it kicked my loving rear end. I don't know why I slept on that one so long, I easily like it better than Cop or Young God for "Angry Swans" era, the super concise length of the thing lets it just get in, kick your rear end and get out. "Stay Here" goes so hard.

Yep, today is beginning of Cop week so I'm going to start listening to it tonight.

Did anyone else get a hold of the first Swans EP? That was definitely a nice surprise, with Sensitive Skin now being one of my favorites among early Swans era songs.

80k fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jul 3, 2004

careful!
Anyone listening to Cop or Young God this week? Gave both a listen yesterday and loved it. However, I found myself immediately more drawn to Young God EP. The songs sound more expansive, more melodic, but still downright dark and terrifying. I Crawled may be my favorite and I can see why it has become one of their most enduring songs, being revived with live renditions up through their latest tour.

• Locked thread