Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seafood28
Nov 14, 2007
I am going to see Swans in Calgary tonight, and I am rather excited. I'm bringing some ear plugs, just in case!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FalseParadigm
Apr 30, 2005

Chew, chew, chew. That is the thing to do.
Just caught this thread after a friend clued me in to the Swans tour last night. I'm totally jumping in on the listening party!

I'm also coming off the high of seeing the Melvins a couple of weeks ago - I can't wait for more live sludge goodness.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

80k posted:

Anyone listening to Cop or Young God this week? Gave both a listen yesterday and loved it. However, I found myself immediately more drawn to Young God EP. The songs sound more expansive, more melodic, but still downright dark and terrifying. I Crawled may be my favorite and I can see why it has become one of their most enduring songs, being revived with live renditions up through their latest tour.

Yeah, Young God's easily the best of the two. I Crawled is amazing. Getting to see Gira perform it on their 2011 tour (not sure if it was supporting My Father Will Guide Me... or not) was a definite highlight.

This isn't for a while, but if you haven't heard Jarboe's take on I Crawled off Swans is Dead, you really owe it to yourself to hear it. It's somehow more terrifying than the original version.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 20, 2013

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

FalseParadigm posted:

Just caught this thread after a friend clued me in to the Swans tour last night. I'm totally jumping in on the listening party!

I'm also coming off the high of seeing the Melvins a couple of weeks ago - I can't wait for more live sludge goodness.

Man, don't expect a high from seeing Swans. Gira had the festival he played at in Australia that I went to turn up the heat in the gigantic basketball court it was, when it was already 37+ degrees C outside. It was two hours of uncomfortable droney noise, and it was spectacular. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything else, but it was a hell of an ordeal to go through.

FalseParadigm
Apr 30, 2005

I, Butthole posted:

Man, don't expect a high from seeing Swans. Gira had the festival he played at in Australia that I went to turn up the heat in the gigantic basketball court it was, when it was already 37+ degrees C outside. It was two hours of uncomfortable droney noise, and it was spectacular. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything else, but it was a hell of an ordeal to go through.

Luckily, I will be seeing them in the sanctuary of an old church turned rock venue. It's naturally cool inside the all stone building; I hope they don't turn on the heat! We're already up to 32+ regular highs here. I will however take two hours of drone though, totally worth it.

dutch wife abc
Apr 25, 2012
I didn't attend my self last time they played here but Gira turned off the aircon one hour before the show. Think i remember him saying somewhere that he wants to simulate the same enviroment as a slaveship or something by doing this.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

dutch wife abc posted:

I didn't attend my self last time they played here but Gira turned off the aircon one hour before the show. Think i remember him saying somewhere that he wants to simulate the same enviroment as a slaveship or something by doing this.

Sweatlodge was what I heard.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Listened to Cop the other night. That one holds a really special place for me because it was my first and for many, many years only exposure to Swans. Listening to it again after the debut LP, Gira's lyrics really came a long way between those two releases I think. The title track is a favorite, I love the ultradismal lyrics and the chunky bassline. I also really dig Half Life, part of it is that I've been listening to this band a lot lately, but you can definitely hear the Godflesh influence. Probably one of many bands that wouldn't exist without Swans.

Probably listen to Young God at work tonight (it's cool working at a place where you can listen to whatever you want).

FalseParadigm
Apr 30, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Sweatlodge was what I heard.
Oh god...I don't do well in sweltering heat. Stop scaring me :(

Jul 3, 2004

careful!
Anyone listen to Greed and Holy Money this week? Been listening to it for a couple of days. Amazing stuff.

I was going to make a playlist to split them into their respective EP's, but have been just listening to them as presented on the compilation, which has the songs mixed together. It is hard to argue with how it is presented on this compilation, so I just decided to listen to it as is.

FalseParadigm
Apr 30, 2005

Hope everyone is still listening :)

I'll be seeing them next Tuesday - can't wait. Anyone else seeing them or will see them on this tour?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

FalseParadigm posted:

I'll be seeing them next Tuesday - can't wait. Anyone else seeing them or will see them on this tour?

I saw them last fall in St. Louis and it was awesome. Definitely a must-see show.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

FalseParadigm posted:

Awesome... Report back after the show!

Sorry for ignoring the thread. It seemed to die off on Greed week and I got too lazy to update. I am still listening though. :)

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Not doing this, but since you're in this area now, I'd just like to say I love A Screw and the music video for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByY7Fho0Z6A

THIS FEELS GOOD.

FalseParadigm
Apr 30, 2005

El Generico posted:

THIS FEELS GOOD.
OPEN YOUR MOUTH

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think I'm gonna see Swans play Cleveland on Thursday. How stupid would it be to go without earplugs?

Also, looking at their setlists, the only song I know is going to be the Seer. I'm guessing they're fantastic live either way?

Eurekapile
Jan 9, 2008

don't horace around

FalseParadigm posted:

I think I was at the same show! It was very intense, loud, and totally mad. He said they're working out new songs for the next album and it did seem like the show might have been all new material except one song. From what I was hearing the new album could be very heavy and noisy, think, 'The Apostate' as every track.

The venue was an old church. Very cool setting. Here is Gira on the lookout before the show.

Also, yes, wear earplugs. I saw someone running out clutching their ear after one particularly brutal whistle bit.

FalseParadigm
Apr 30, 2005

Eurekapile posted:

I think I was at the same show! It was very intense, loud, and totally mad. He said they're working out new songs for the next album and it did seem like the show might have been all new material except one song. From what I was hearing the new album could be very heavy and noisy, think, 'The Apostate' as every track.

The venue was an old church. Very cool setting. Here is Gira on the lookout before the show.

Also, yes, wear earplugs. I saw someone running out clutching their ear after one particularly brutal whistle bit.
You were indeed! I'm glad you got a shot of the stage; I wanted to post a pic of it here but left my phone at home.

I'm still reeling from the sonic assault.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
Not sure if this is the place to actually talk about the band and since I've been listening to only michael gira works almost exclusively for half a year already the point of the thread it's kind of moot for me.
So I'll list the the first songs to catch my ear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OK1kDLj8MM - nice fan made video, incredibly beautiful song, lyrics anyone that was young can relate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-e1feSOuP8 - the way the song starts creepy and suddenly just break into one of the most beautiful things I ever heard is probably what made me obsessed with the band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EayNRh_PkBc - I found this awesome video before listening to the music, his screaming let me mesmerized, this is certainly my favorite song from his old style of music. This one for me shows off quite well the concepts of being majestic and bad tempered in a single song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skT9dIJh0AY - to this day one of my favorite swans songs also the best sample of Jarboe's vocals along with Volcano in my humble opinion.

program666 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 14, 2013

program666
Aug 22, 2013

quoted instead of editing

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but Swans is putting out another live CD to fund their next album. All the CDs are hand-printed from woodblocks. I would get one myself, but it's like 40 bucks.

Maybe this should just be a general thread about Swans?

Good Luck Charm
Oct 19, 2013

by angerbeet
Giving how i loved you a listen. First time in years :(

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Good Luck Charm posted:

Untitled Love Song is one of the best songs ever written.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Good Luck Charm posted:

How I Loved You is an album best listened to while drunk and full of regret.

I mean this as a sincere compliment, of course.

Friends Are Evil fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 6, 2013

program666
Aug 22, 2013

The idea that the fight for survival is done "For the love of life" is probably the closest I'll get to religion nowadays.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
So why are we not talking about To Be Kind, the upcoming 2+ hour album featuring St. Vincent? If this isn't album of the year I'd be shocked.

edit: more info here.

quote:

To Be Kind will contain 10 new Swans songs that — like their Homeric last album, 2012's The Seer — will punish and reward listeners for more than two hours. "Some songs are quite melodic," Gira says, "and the emotions are not so severe." The shortest song lasts eight minutes, the longest, "Bring the Sun," is 35.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Criminal Minded posted:

So why are we not talking about To Be Kind, the upcoming 2+ hour album featuring St. Vincent? If this isn't album of the year I'd be shocked.

edit: more info here.

I can't wait for this. It took me a while to get into Swans, but now that I like them, I really like them. The Great Annihilator is my favourite at the moment, but The Seer is also great and I'm looking forward to hearing another album in what sounds like a similar-ish direction. I wish I'd picked up that 2CD live album, but it was released just before they really clicked for me, so I didn't bother.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

nomapple posted:

I can't wait for this. It took me a while to get into Swans, but now that I like them, I really like them. The Great Annihilator is my favourite at the moment, but The Seer is also great and I'm looking forward to hearing another album in what sounds like a similar-ish direction. I wish I'd picked up that 2CD live album, but it was released just before they really clicked for me, so I didn't bother.

Yeah, they've gone from "Who?" to probably my favorite band over the past year and a half, ever since I got The Seer and started tracking back through their work - which, of course, only makes me appreciate The Seer even more. Ditto to The Great Annihilator, which is in my top handful of Swans albums along with The Seer, White Light from the Mouth of Infinity, and Soundtracks from the Blind, but it's all great. I haven't heard everything yet, but I'm pretty close - all I'm missing are a live album or two, The Burning World, and outtakes/b-sides. I can't help but wonder where they'll go on this next album, since The Seer is such a career-defining masterpiece. It's like, what's even left to do?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Criminal Minded posted:

Yeah, they've gone from "Who?" to probably my favorite band over the past year and a half, ever since I got The Seer and started tracking back through their work - which, of course, only makes me appreciate The Seer even more. Ditto to The Great Annihilator, which is in my top handful of Swans albums along with The Seer, White Light from the Mouth of Infinity, and Soundtracks from the Blind, but it's all great. I haven't heard everything yet, but I'm pretty close - all I'm missing are a live album or two, The Burning World, and outtakes/b-sides. I can't help but wonder where they'll go on this next album, since The Seer is such a career-defining masterpiece. It's like, what's even left to do?

Swans have about five career-defining masterpieces, and they've always found ways to move beyond them and come up with something else new and wonderful. I have no reason to doubt them now.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Criminal Minded posted:

The Burning World is really good too, don't let anyone (even Gira) tell you otherwise.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

big business sloth posted:

The Burning World is really good too, don't let anyone (even Gira) tell you otherwise.

I dug it, not one of their best but at this point the idea that Swans could release a bad album is laughable to me. And jesus christ, how many great live albums do they have? :pwn:

So, anybody got any recommendations for other bands that recall stuff like "The Apostate" and "A Piece of the Sky"? I'm currently unable to stop listening to either of those tracks. I figure there's gotta be some post-rock stuff out there that fits the bill but I'm only really familiar with GY!BE, Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai and Slint so I'd have no idea where to start looking.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Criminal Minded posted:

I dug it, not one of their best but at this point the idea that Swans could release a bad album is laughable to me. And jesus christ, how many great live albums do they have? :pwn:

Swans Are Dead is possibly the best live album I've ever heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzkw03GRAFI

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Criminal Minded posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-3-HS4OByU

This is only a live video and thus probably not even close to what's going to be on the album, but the new stuff Swans has been performing is phenomenal. If the rest of the album goes in this direction, I'm gonna be so stoked.

I really don't think Swans can make a bad album. Even the Burning World is pretty good.

p4vl
Aug 13, 2004

El Generico posted:

Not doing this, but since you're in this area now, I'd just like to say I love A Screw and the music video for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByY7Fho0Z6A

THIS FEELS GOOD.

Hell yes it does. I can't seem to find this mix/remix on any of their albums. Is it exclusively for the video?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

The track list for To Be Kind "leaked":

1. Screen Shot 8:04
2. Just A Little Boy (for Chester Burnett) 12:39
3. A Little God In My Hands 7:08
4. Bring The Sun / Toussaint L'Ouverture 34:05
5. Some Things We Do 5:09
-----
6. She Loves Us 17:00
7. Kirsten Supine 10:32
8. Oxygen 7:59
9. Nathalie Neal 10:14
10. To Be Kind 8:22

Promo copies are supposedly out. Can't wait.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

New Swans track is up on Pitchfork.

This is somehow the most danceable song Swans has ever done, terrifying bursts of noise aside. I'm so loving stoked for this.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Friends Are Evil posted:

This is somehow the most danceable song Swans has ever done, terrifying bursts of noise aside. I'm so loving stoked for this.

I love it. The noises at the end are awesome. I can't wait to set aside 2 hours for this beast on release day.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Friends Are Evil posted:

Goddamn I'm loving this.

Also, I'm in, I love Swans but I've never done an intensive listen like this.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, this track was not what I was expecting at all but I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Song's amazing. Very Krautrock-y. Really excited to the rest of the album as the new songs from when I saw them in '12 and on Not Here/Not Now are sublime. I think this kind of production will suit them well.

There's a guy on a different message board I visit who has access to a promo copy wrote about A Little God after others heard it: "This is one of my least favorites from the record so if you love this then the album will blow you away." He also posted a track-by-track review of his, which I 've posted below (disclaimer – I believe he said he was drunk when he wrote it):

01 Screenshot 8:05
- begins with a simple bass riff that carries the song throughout
- hypnotic mantra
- builds and builds into a wall of sound
- HERE. NOW. HERE. NOW!
- very much a intro track that brings you into their brand of hell

02 Just A Little Boy 12:40
- laid back groove. ominous and brooding.
- "I'm just a lil boy!!!" Michael sounds so loving creepy during this line!
- evil laughter (sounds cool in headphones, possibly Annie Clark?)
- last two minutes things begin to pay off with small explosions
- one of my favs simply because of Gira's spooky as gently caress vocal delivery

03 A Little God 7:08
- surprisingly optimistic! especially coming out of the last track
- jangly psychotic piano lurking in the distance
- you could almost dance to this
- horn/synth explosions near the end!!! gently caress THIS RULES!!!!

04 Sun Toussaint 34:05
- this is my goddamn JAM!!!!!!!
- opens with a brutal loving thrashing, relentlessly beating the poo poo out of you
- when the lashes are done and all is calm, Michael begins his monk-like chant
- I'm drunk now
- ten minutes in and things begin to intensify
- SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNN
- My neighbors officially hate me because this poo poo is so loud
- after the torment, things die down with toy instruments and horse noises
- FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.....DOOOOOOMMMM
- noise bliss into referee whistles....the bass is building and bringing us back in
- TOUSSAINT! (there's 11 mins left! wtf! my brain can't handle this!)
- nice little tongue roll Gira
- space-jazz section...something is coming/cumming...
- I'm American so I have no idea what the gently caress he is saying right now
- FREEEEEEEE....DOM Dom dom....
- Beautiful cries of desperation. Can't believe I've been in this 30 minute trance
- HERE....WE....GO!!!! My ears are loving destroyed!
- That was beyond intense....goddamnit!!!

05 Some Things We Do 5:09
- violin plucking and swells with another "we...." mantra
- really needed this relaxation
- I take that back....this sounds like Hitchcock chillin' on a beach
- Michael is describing the human experience
- "we love...we love...."

06 She Loves Us 17:01
- first 4 minutes sounds like smoking crack at Christmas
- piano drip drone...
- brutal free form noise-pump...rhythm section is killing it right now
- 7 minutes in and a repetitive groove begins to build, kinda funky
- love that lead guitar part (almost sounds like Gary Numan synth or something)
- MOW MOW MWEOWWWW! (Michael has been watching too much Super Troopers)
- HALLELUJAH!
- Michael is screaming "gently caress gently caress gently caress!" as if he were Tim "The Toolman" Taylor and accidently hit his finger with a hammer
- groove collapses and falls apart at the end into choir of discontent
- WHOA! just added another brutal riff near the end for the gently caress of it

07 Kirstin Supine 10:33
- another needed break. calm but anxious
- okay this has to be Annie Clark doing the harmony behind a nice bell melody
- full band finally kicks in about halfway through, church bells and all
- repetitive rhythm section building over drone guitars and strings
- no real pay off

08 Oxygen 7:59
- okay I guess this is the climax I was looking for
- similar to the live version as far as I can remember
- the goddamn drum and bass on this song!!!!!
- heaviest track on the album
- BRICK HOUSE!!!!!
- this is what you wanted from Swans

09 Nathalie Neal 10:15
- weird Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom garbly intro
- another of my favs I'd like to add
- jangly piano thing is back
- woman voice over. sounds like it's recorded from a cellphone
- I love the groove of this song
- NATA LEY EH EH EH EH EH EHHHHHHHH
- "Live forever in this song....Natalie!!" Did this chick pay $500 to Gira?
- Probably the catchiest melody
- Desert outro "Na...Na na na na...Nathalie"
- Wow this is over already

10 To Be Kind 8:23
- string and choir intro
- piano melody behind Michael's lyrics
- "There are millions and millions of stars in your eyes!"
- the band begins to swell and crash into a formless drone
- again lashing and lashing and lashing, beating you into the ground
- ends with a formless drone into vicious loving destruction

• Locked thread