Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Surprised To Be Kind is 8 minutes, live it's been 15-17. But I thought The Seer was one of the most intense hellacious things I've ever listened to and by far the album of the year for me, and if this out-does The Seer I know what I'll be listening to exlusively for the next loving year. I love the undertones of sound in their songs, it makes revisiting so exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

A little late to the party, but just chiming in to say Swans are easily top 5 bands of all time for me, and even though I love the newer poo poo, I would say Angels of Light stuff is superior to the last two records. I am trying to put together a complete Michael Gira collection on wax, working on finding an original Filth right now. If anyone has an original Great Annihilator they want to sell me, hit me up!

No problem participating in the listening party, I spin Greed and Holy Money about once a week anyways.

Also looking to get a swans/Gira tattoo of some kind. considering the cover of No I Am Not Insane:

kirkjames fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 22, 2014

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I really love the new track. I'm glad it doesn't sound like something straight off The Seer.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES

Blast Fantasto posted:

I really love the new track. I'm glad it doesn't sound like something straight off The Seer.
It reminded me a lot of The Seer Returns personally but I love the track a lot. This album's going to be very diverse if the guest artists contributing and the demos from Not Here/Not Now are any indication.

edit: i'm seeing them in philly in may

Cromlech fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 22, 2014

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Full list of summer tour dates:

http://pitchfork.com/news/54451-swans-announce-summer-tour/

I am NOT missing them this time, I regret not going to their show on The Seer tour. It's going to be nuts, especially because they're playing Lincoln Hall, which is tiny as hell.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!
Dang, looks like they won't be coming around my way. Also the opening act Jenny Hval is awesome and shouldn't be missed.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Anyone know if Michael Gira regularly takes the New York subway? Because I have this nagging suspicion I conversed with him on the 4 train before I knew who he was.

On further reflection I've decided it definitely wasn't him.

Carly Gay Dead Son fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 25, 2014

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Looks like the album has leaked, but in very poor quality. Just a heads up.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Also worth noting that the album can be preordered through Young God Records now: http://younggodrecords.com/

I'll be waiting for Mute, who are doing rest of the world distribution so I can save on some shipping!

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

^ How it leaked was that you can listen to 30 second preview snippets on the Young God site for the page, but if you click past that first 30 seconds you can listen to the whole song. You gotta keep clicking so it's a bit tedious, and the quality (96 kbps) isn't great, but yep, there it is.

http://younggodrecords.com/collections/frontpage/products/to-be-kind

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Listening to Swans in 96kbps is a disgrace.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Out of curiosity, I checked out the "leak". It's not terrible quality for 96 kbps, though it could certainly sound a lot clearer. Bring the Sun is somehow more crazy and expansive than The Seer, which I didn't realize was a thing that could happen.

I can't wait to listen to this in higher quality than loving 96 kbps. Pre-ordering this the first day I can.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Friends Are Evil posted:

Bring the Sun is somehow more crazy and expansive than The Seer, which I didn't realize was a thing that could happen.

:stare:

I'm holding off for the real release. I'm so excited, I don't understand how anything could be more expansive than The Seer.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I didn't think Swans could've topped The Seer, and it will take more listens to really decide, but I think this has done it.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

The woodworking sounds in Bring the Sun really threw me off. This album is insane.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mutation posted:

I didn't think Swans could've topped The Seer, and it will take more listens to really decide, but I think this has done it.

Sheeeit, I cannot wait.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Looks like they just shared Oxygen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jSdTBGhDSg

crikster
Jul 13, 2012

start today
M Gira is sounding a lot like David Yow on that one.
It also kind of sounds like the first Heroine Sheiks album + repetition, probably because it's the same guitar player.
e: This is one of those bouncy wavy songs that could make you puke if you were too drunk

Superimposition
Apr 23, 2014
A friend of mine organized and put together a Swans tribute record of over 30 tracks. Contributors include Planning For Burial or I Do Not Love, so it's definitely worth checking out; http://chvrchdvstrecords.bandcamp.com/

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Superimposition posted:

A friend of mine organized and put together a Swans tribute record of over 30 tracks. Contributors include Planning For Burial or I Do Not Love, so it's definitely worth checking out; http://chvrchdvstrecords.bandcamp.com/

He got Zijnzijn Zijnzijn! on there, that's awesome!

In other news, got a ticket for Swans in Brighton. gently caress. Yes.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Superimposition posted:

That Planning for Burial cover's really awesome, but I wouldn't expect any less from him.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

NPR First Listen has To Be Kind up for streaming:

http://www.npr.org/2014/05/04/308392426/first-listen-swans-to-be-kind

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Between this and the stream of the new Agalloch, I'm not getting anything done today...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

New album is loving class.

absolutely loving amazing

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 5, 2014

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
This is just......gently caress. gently caress me. God drat it. How is this possible? :negative:

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003
I refuse to listen since I'm seeing them next week (I've missed them more times than i can count, so I'm very excited about this!).

Frostyhawk
Jan 21, 2012

Bird Up!

nomapple posted:

Between this and the stream of the new Agalloch, I'm not getting anything done today...

I am right there with you, holy poo poo. My two favorite bands, at that.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Bring The Sun, just, loving, Bring The Sun, what a loving track.

:vince:

While Seer is a better album, Bring The Sun is a far great goliath than The Seer.

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 6, 2014

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Wow, its just over 2 hours... I was pretty exhausted after listening to The Seer in its entirety, but at least my Orthos are finally burnt it :getin:.

XMD 5a
Aug 28, 2011

money is flesh

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Bring The Sun, just, loving, Bring The Sunk, what a loving track.

:vince:

My jaw actually dropped on three separate occasions during that track alone. I can't get enough of "Oxygen" either.

One hell of an album overall.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck

El Miguel posted:

I refuse to listen since I'm seeing them next week (I've missed them more times than i can count, so I'm very excited about this!).

You should listen to it now and maximize the amount of times you hear it before you die

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

OK so this is now streaming for free on NPR and holy loving poo poo this record. The highlight is Gira, his vocals and lyrics are goddamned loving crazy awesome. The whole record has this expansive sexy scary David Lynch jazz undertone to it and I'm listening to a song now in which Gira is crazily chanting "YOUR NAME IS gently caress, YOU ARE MY SON, COME TO MY TONGUE." This is everything I expected and more.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Album of the year so far for sure. I never thought I'd describe a Swans album as "fun," but this one totally is. The grooves of songs like "Screen Shot" and "A Little God in My Hands" are just infectious. My favorite track on "The Seer" was "The Seer Returns," and I'm super glad they're exploring further in that direction. I was lucky enough to see them during the tour leading up to the release of "The Seer," and I hope I can do it again the next time around; I would love to see how huge this stuff can get in a live setting.

The Ass Stooge fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 6, 2014

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Just bought tickets for Montreal, very excited!

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES

The rear end Stooge posted:

Album of the year so far for sure. I never thought I'd describe a Swans album as "fun," but this one totally is. The grooves of songs like "Screen Shot" and "A Little God in My Hands" are just infectious. My favorite track on "The Seer" was "The Seer Returns," and I'm super glad they're exploring further in that direction. I was lucky enough to see them during the tour leading up to the release of "The Seer," and I hope I can do it again the next time around; I would love to see how huge this stuff can get in a live setting.
Yea, The Seer Returns was my favorite not-Swansy-but-still-is track on The Seer! Glad to hear there's more songs in the same vein on this album, it was a cool direction. I haven't heard the new album yet, but, I'm seeing them next Thursday.

Should I bring earplugs? I'm leaning HEAVILY towards it.. And dressing light, too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cromlech posted:

Should I bring earplugs? I'm leaning HEAVILY towards it..

Yes.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Definitely take earplugs.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

New album is blowing my mind. I have tickets for the DC show next week, can't wait.

Do they play any older stuff on tour these days?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This was the setlist on their tour last summer--more than half of are songs from this album! Weird that they seemed to be mostly supporting it 9 months in advance.

To Be Kind
Just a Little Boy
Coward
She Loves Us!
Oxygen
The Seer
Bring the Sun / Toussaint L'Overture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gira has always been saying how the live shows are how he tests out new stuff for the albums.

• Locked thread