Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
cool. thought so. not complaining, just something I was wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

ICHIBAHN posted:

here's a question: does Swans play exclusively new & recent stuff live? seems that way judging by their setlists.  

They played Yr Property this tour.

Touring for the Seer they played Coward.

When I saw Angels of Light the first time he played Failure and God drat The Sun.

But generally they keep to the newer stuff.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

They've also played Sex, God, Sex and I Crawled after the reunion

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

As a metal fan, this is a fantastic lineup. Does seem a bit nuts that Swans are playing under Blasphemy though. I wonder how much set time they'll get. Also in my experience the majority of attendees for this sort of festival only really like the early stuff. I assume they'll stick to new stuff as they don't seem like the band to compromise, and if the festival had persuaded them to do an early set, I'm sure they'd be crowing about it. Still, intriguing.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
so I find myself at the soundtracks for the deaf part of my journey. interesting but not enthralling. aside from THE SOUND. What a fuckin song that is. Jesus.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
you probably mean blind, not deaf :D
Volcano is my favorite song on that album, seems like he hates electronic music so he grabs electronic music track and twists it with hate using his bare hands until it's unrecognizable.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Soundtracks is probably my favourite Swans album, it's an absolute slog to get through but there's just nothing else like it.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
actually it turns out I was listening to Swans are Dead so I even got that wrong haha. luckily The Sound is on both. really looking forward to leaping into their current phase beginning tomorrow. can't wait wait to hear the developments

program666
Aug 22, 2013

after listening their whole body of work multiple times, including angels, the last two albums are my favorite, it's a weirdness I can "get" somehow.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Yeah, their old stuff has a different rawness and chaos that I love, but as packages, the seer and to be kind is their best for me. It's incredible that a band could still be beating their best consistently after 25 years.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
There's a new deluxe edition of Filth on Spotify today. Which is great because the only one they had on there before was the Filth/Body to Body, Job to Job comp.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Anyone heard Drainland? I just found it, sounds pretty neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeNc4tI5km8

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

ICHIBAHN posted:

so I find myself at the soundtracks for the deaf part of my journey. interesting but not enthralling. aside from THE SOUND. What a fuckin song that is. Jesus.
Helpless Child rules really hard too

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
listening now. God yes. brilliant. how is this an album of out-takes?!

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Here's a Swans song from 1983 played and sung entirely by 11 to 13 year olds, with tape effects:

http://www.popmatters.com/post/193370-swans-ill-cry-for-you-audio-premiere/

quote:

Swans frontman Michael Gira says to PopMatters, “I vividly remember recording this song in late 1983 in NYC, because we hired child musicians—boys and girls ages 11 to 13—to play our instruments. It took a lot of gentle (and some not so gentle) coaxing to get them to play like us, with that unique, ‘dragging’ feel that Swans employed at the time, but with a lot of work, we all succeeded. The boy who sang in my place did a particularly good job, I think. With a little tape manipulation, a seamless replication. We didn’t release this song at the time because we couldn’t get legal approval from all the parents, but now it’s available.”

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Here's a Swans song from 1983 played and sung entirely by 11 to 13 year olds, with tape effects:

http://www.popmatters.com/post/193370-swans-ill-cry-for-you-audio-premiere/

The song is good, but that bullshit about kids playing the song is loving incredible. There's no way it's true.

BigPoot
Jan 16, 2013

Blast Fantasto posted:

There's a new deluxe edition of Filth on Spotify today. Which is great because the only one they had on there before was the Filth/Body to Body, Job to Job comp.

I'm going to have to buy this, if only for that third disc with EP #1 and the live material.

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Anyone heard Drainland? I just found it, sounds pretty neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeNc4tI5km8

It has some pretty cool songs on it. It also includes some samples from arguments between Gira and Jarboe. I'd rate the album better than most Angels of Light material actually. Blind is one of the most beautiful songs Gira has ever written.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

program666 posted:

you probably mean blind, not deaf :D
Volcano is my favorite song on that album, seems like he hates electronic music so he grabs electronic music track and twists it with hate using his bare hands until it's unrecognizable.

Actually the music in Volcano was arranged by Jarboe. I can't think of another Swans song that didn't involve Gira.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Beyond sane knolls posted:

The song is good, but that bullshit about kids playing the song is loving incredible. There's no way it's true.

Yeah, it's too obviously Gira singing, and it's not exactly a "lost" track- it's been on Body to Body, Job to Job forever.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Nanomashoes posted:

Yeah, it's too obviously Gira singing, and it's not exactly a "lost" track- it's been on Body to Body, Job to Job forever.

Just the mental image I have of Gira and co. terrifying children into replicating their sound is some amazing poo poo.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I saw Swans last night at the Roundhouse and the new version of A Little God is absolutely mind blowing, they've changed up the bass line a bit.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Interview with Gira that mentions they're recording another album starting in September.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Filth: 8.1 new reissue

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I just got the flacs and all files are in the same directory so when they are ordered the first tracks of all 3 cds are first in the list and so on. I loaded the files into a media player and the metadata is also not helping much lol.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

loop 33 in maximum volume and a bit of a enhanced bass is just :aaaaa:

program666
Aug 22, 2013

The 3rd "cd" is really different, Take Advantage sounds like The Damned a little bit.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I feel like The Body Lovers is criminally underlooked. It's Gira, Jarboe, and co basically continuing the Soundtracks-era noisescapes and drones. Goddamn harrowing too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrOCteaZfns

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Nanomashoes posted:

I feel like The Body Lovers is criminally underlooked. It's Gira, Jarboe, and co basically continuing the Soundtracks-era noisescapes and drones. Goddamn harrowing too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrOCteaZfns

Last time I talked to Gira he told me this is one of his favourite things he's done.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I saw Swans last night at the Roundhouse and the new version of A Little God is absolutely mind blowing, they've changed up the bass line a bit.

It was awesome, it's a shame the acoustics at the roundhouse suck so hard.

You weren't that twat wearing the top hat were you?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

sharktamer posted:

It was awesome, it's a shame the acoustics at the roundhouse suck so hard.

You weren't that twat wearing the top hat were you?

Haha, nah, only a fedora adornes my neck bearded head. I did see that guy, quite a twat indeed.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

I wish Gira still beat the poo poo out of audience members on the reg.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
One of my friends took me to a Swans show a few years back. I had only ever listened to Your Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky a couple of times when it came out and liked it well enough without having a particularly visceral reaction to it. We went to the show in Boston on The Seer tour and my friend handed me a pair of earplugs when we got there. We smoked a joint and went into the lovely, cramped, dank venue and bought tallboys of PBR. Once the floor was pretty full the lights went down and the band took the stage.

They began with a massive, crushing assault of sound that I could feel reverberating in my diaphragm before stopping for a moment of silence and then issuing forth an even louder, more sustained burst. These were akin to the opening shells of an artillery barrage, and soon the the tubes in the amps were glowing red and Thor was beating a steady crash of symbols into my soul.

After the first song (or maybe it was during a lull, I can't remember) Michael Gira looked up at the booth and yelled something to the effect of "Where's this air coming from?" or "Why is there air blowing on me?". And the venue turned off the weak fan mounted in the center of the ceiling over the front of the crowd that had evidently been distracting Mr. Gira. He then proceeded to lead the band in an unrelenting, awe-inspiring performance that felt like a glorious tour of duty.

That show was the single most intense concert going experience of my life. It held every part of my attention for its entirety. My thoughts were reduced to simple bodily functions like remaining standing and slowly moving away from the stage over the course of the set. I put earplugs in only after a few songs and almost certainly did permanent damage to my ears. That show ruined all other concerts for me; no other band commands your attention so completely and rewards you so greatly for it.

I love their most recent three albums (Bring the Sun is incredible and at times reaches the heights of that live show) but I find time to listen to them all the way through so infrequently that I have never explored beyond those; I still feel like I'm discovering new songs each time I listen to them.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

centaurtainment posted:

One of my friends took me to a Swans show a few years back. I had only ever listened to Your Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky a couple of times when it came out and liked it well enough without having a particularly visceral reaction to it. We went to the show in Boston on The Seer tour and my friend handed me a pair of earplugs when we got there. We smoked a joint and went into the lovely, cramped, dank venue and bought tallboys of PBR. Once the floor was pretty full the lights went down and the band took the stage.

They began with a massive, crushing assault of sound that I could feel reverberating in my diaphragm before stopping for a moment of silence and then issuing forth an even louder, more sustained burst. These were akin to the opening shells of an artillery barrage, and soon the the tubes in the amps were glowing red and Thor was beating a steady crash of symbols into my soul.

After the first song (or maybe it was during a lull, I can't remember) Michael Gira looked up at the booth and yelled something to the effect of "Where's this air coming from?" or "Why is there air blowing on me?". And the venue turned off the weak fan mounted in the center of the ceiling over the front of the crowd that had evidently been distracting Mr. Gira. He then proceeded to lead the band in an unrelenting, awe-inspiring performance that felt like a glorious tour of duty.

That show was the single most intense concert going experience of my life. It held every part of my attention for its entirety. My thoughts were reduced to simple bodily functions like remaining standing and slowly moving away from the stage over the course of the set. I put earplugs in only after a few songs and almost certainly did permanent damage to my ears. That show ruined all other concerts for me; no other band commands your attention so completely and rewards you so greatly for it.

I love their most recent three albums (Bring the Sun is incredible and at times reaches the heights of that live show) but I find time to listen to them all the way through so infrequently that I have never explored beyond those; I still feel like I'm discovering new songs each time I listen to them.

Ok but now listen to Swans are Dead.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Public Castration is a Good Idea would be the greatest live album ever made if not for Swans are Dead.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Nanomashoes posted:

Ok but now listen to Swans are Dead.

Just finished it. Quite a good live album; it's just as dense and captivating as their studio work. I had it going in my headphones on the subway earlier and it put me in a sort-of trance state. Thanks for the recommendation.

Also, I wrote "symbols" instead of "cymbals" in my previous post. loving homophones.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
?

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Today I realized that Ted DiBiase's entrance theme played at half speed = A Screw

• Locked thread