Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Aye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Just listened to Bring The Sun, sceptically, for the GYBE comparison and aye...very similar to Gamelan / Mladic. Need to listen to To Be Kind more (despite that loving album cover).

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cymbal Monkey posted:

F#A#∞ is ripped straight from Soundtracks for the Blind. Probably best to start there if Godspeed is what you're after.

Have been a big fan of both bands for years and I've never heard this comparison (though when I say huge Swans fan I mean huge fan of the cruel-grimey Annihilator stuff). Will check. Thanks.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Listened to Filth today. Killed me. Not a good way to start your week. loving relentless. Can I skip to the Annihilator? Had to put on Drive soundtrack to cleanse my soul.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Wait. Am I year late?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So Swans are of interest to me right now. I'm doing my own little sojourn through their work. I'll be seeing them in about nine weeks, at primavera in Barcelona. I'm curious to see how they'll translate in an open air festival environment. I've seen them before in an extremely uncomfortable, packed venue. It was horrendous, by design probably. 

I've been listening to one album a week, until the gig, ending with their most recent work. At the moment, I'm at The Burning World and thoroughly enjoying it, despite the band's own opinion on it. Children of God is remarkable, i really enjoyed the introduction of melody and relief, from the stark, brutal restlessness of the first few albums. Those albums are difficult for me. I fear and respect them but doubt I'll listen to them too much. 

I love the great annihilator. It's one of my favorite records, so I'm anticipating diving into that. Spurned on by the recent posts in here, i listened to Oxygen and Bring The Sun / Toussant l'ouverture. Wow. 

Anyway, thoughts etc. 

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
IN -
I can understand why people can be so devoted to this band. I got it yesterday, on the train. It's the depth of their work, as well as the depth in catalogue.

I'm listening to an album of theirs a week, until the end of May when I'll see them (as I stated above), and I'm just coming from The Burning World into White Light. The first few albums are a loving DRAIN. They imprint themselves on your psyche. It's daunting and taunting. The work doesn't relent until some light is allowed in around Children of God, then there's the ridiculous release of melody within The Burning World. I understand why people, even Girl "abhor" this album, it's such a seismic shift, but I think it's brilliant. It's probably coloured by my desire for some clear skies, some release from Raping A Slave and the like.

I was thinking about that album, how it's an odd capper for the first era of the band, the end of the punishment. The balm. I thought then of some of the new stuff, as, through this thread, I skipped forward to Bring The Sun. The size of that song whet my appetite for what lays within those albums. I remember feeling loving giddy, thinking I have so much to get into. I think it's that sense of "there's so much more here", which inspires such devotion from fans. It gets to me. I almost can't wait to get to the thick end of the wedge, but I'll wait.

I'm most familiar with The Great Annihilator, so I'm anticipating that. For now though, I'm easing into the deep, dark, though melodic period starting with White Light. I don't know where it ends, nor where the third strata begins. My Father WIll Guide Me I guess?

Anyway, I just wanted to use this area to speak a little about my thoughts regarding the band and their stock. -OUT

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Beyond that, are there any good biographies of the band / band members out there?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
checking in to say White Light from the Mouth of Infinity is incredible

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i can see why. this period (white light-annihilator) really is the sweet spot. really looking forward to getting to the dark, dense later albums.

this week, love of life.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
which single? love of life? thats on the album no?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

program666 posted:

If you like the more normal stuff maybe you'll like Angels of Light. Sing other people is one of my favorite albums of all time.

looking forward to listening to them yeah

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
here's a question: does Swans play exclusively new & recent stuff live? seems that way judging by their setlists.  

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
cool. thought so. not complaining, just something I was wondering.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
so I find myself at the soundtracks for the deaf part of my journey. interesting but not enthralling. aside from THE SOUND. What a fuckin song that is. Jesus.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
actually it turns out I was listening to Swans are Dead so I even got that wrong haha. luckily The Sound is on both. really looking forward to leaping into their current phase beginning tomorrow. can't wait wait to hear the developments

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
listening now. God yes. brilliant. how is this an album of out-takes?!

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HorseRenoir posted:

My Father doesn't really count; it's basically an Angels of Light album that became a Swans album halfway through recording.

Nah it's swans. They titled it so, personnel change doesn't matter.

Glad there's a new record coming. They are prolific. I love how they go about funding and creating music.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Stop quoting that piece of poo poo

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Upload it, be a man

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's amazing but a pretty tough road to traverse

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Swans are playing The Knot in their recent live shows, is that a new song?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah i read about the moshing. How do you mosh to that kinda material lol. And im going by setlist.fm. Aye, no idea what The Knot is.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Cool, thanks

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Seeing Swans in a few weeks. Says doors are 7pm. Are they touring with a support this time?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
No Frankie M on this tour?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Speak to me about the difference between Swans on record and Swans live. Coz I'm hyped out my fuckin mind for this gig.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Aw drat. I've been loving Frankie M recently.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It's a concise 20 mins when you get past the beautiful 7 minutes of atmospheric shuffling. Then that pulsating, repeating riff. Ugh so good.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

God Of Paradise posted:

Am I missing something?

What's the significance of the batshit crazy ramblings about babylon and the face of satan up top?

What? Where are you seeing this?

Edit, oh aye, i skipped that post. Yes Annihilator is great. Probably the best. Love of Life rules too.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Boring? Come onnnnnn

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What is that Swans song that goes, white light white heat white light white heat, or something, at a fast pace, think it's a female singer (maybe Jarboe), sounds like Annihilator-era. Any ideas?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You're right! Ta

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That was quite good then, it wasn't female vocals, and it WAS on The Great Annihilator. Good work on my part. Ffs.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The song The Glowing Man is INCREDIBLE.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I am the glowing man i am

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So i put on The Glowing Man, love this loving film, then the title track comes on, and that pulverising break strikes me and it's unrelenting, BOOM DA BOOM DA BOOM DA forever. I had to sit in my car after I'd finished my journey and just absorb the song. Unreal. So then i think, gently caress i need to hear more like this, I think I loving LOVE SWANS man... Well that's inaccurate, it's latter day Swans. So what kind of genre would you put their last 4 albums into? Who the gently caress is in their league? Genuine question.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So these bands you're listing, they're in the same universe as The Glowing Man etc era Swans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Here, Monument is fuckin good! Aye, I can see the comparisson there. To be real though the intro is about 5 minutes too short and the song in general is about 20 minutes too short, legit, but aye, a condensed Swan-esque mini-opus. Cheers. I'll check out more of them.

• Locked thread