Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I could be down for this. The only Swans stuff I've really listened to is Cop, Young God and My Father Will Guide Me A Rope To The Sky. I've been meaning to delve deeper into their discography. I'm still kicking myself for missing them live last time they came around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

n_w_f posted:

Gira's vocals on "Weakling" and "Big Strong Boss" (my personal favorite, absolutely adore the percussion) bring to mind a young Rollins.

Rollins has gone on record saying that Swans were a huge influence on him. It was actually one of his spoken word bits where he talked about listening to Cop that introduced me to them way back when.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

dutch wife abc posted:

Really? You wouldn't have a link handy, the image of Rollins blasting "NO ONE RAPES THEM LIKE A COP IN JAIL" is bumming me out

I don't. It was on one of his early '90s spoken word sets probably, but I haven't gone back and listened to that stuff in a long time. He talks about being hassled by a cop while listening to that album.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 4, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Are we still doing this? Because I listened to Filth for the first time last night and uh it kicked my loving rear end. I don't know why I slept on that one so long, I easily like it better than Cop or Young God for "Angry Swans" era, the super concise length of the thing lets it just get in, kick your rear end and get out. "Stay Here" goes so hard.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Listened to Cop the other night. That one holds a really special place for me because it was my first and for many, many years only exposure to Swans. Listening to it again after the debut LP, Gira's lyrics really came a long way between those two releases I think. The title track is a favorite, I love the ultradismal lyrics and the chunky bassline. I also really dig Half Life, part of it is that I've been listening to this band a lot lately, but you can definitely hear the Godflesh influence. Probably one of many bands that wouldn't exist without Swans.

Probably listen to Young God at work tonight (it's cool working at a place where you can listen to whatever you want).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mutation posted:

Speaking of Gira saying things, does anyone have that interview where he talks about the goat killing/blood orgy thing?

quote:

SECONDS: Tell me about what happened during the Nitsch performance you were part of?
GIRA: That was in Venice, CA, around1978-79. A woman I was involved with at the time ran an arts organization that presented stuff that wouldn't otherwise be seen in any institutional or established art context. The Nitsch event was more of a ritual than a performance in that it lasted about four to six hours and was right there all around you - not on a stage - in a storefront that had been emptied out for the occasion. Strung up in this white room were the skinned carcasses of two lambs, ropes stretching out from each limb to the floor and ceiling so that the dead meat was suspended in mid-air. Something like a hundred gallons of lambs' blood and entrails had been supplied in vats as well, and as a series of young boys, naked and blindfolded, were brought out on a stretcher, the blood, etc. was poured through the carcass and over the tender youth's bodies, into their mouths, etc. This obscure series of ritualized actions was directed by Nitsch himself, who was this little fat guy dressed in black like a priest without a collar, with a pasty white Austrian face with ruby red moist lips, sort of like you might picture a bloated and drunk Napoleon-figure, and he was wearing this one oversized black rubber glove on his right hand, and with it he'd direct people. He'd gathered a sizable orchestra of street people, punks, volunteers, and with a raising or lowering of his black hand they'd let loose with a really loud squall of noise played by horns, drums, whistles, anything that made sounds, so this roaring cacophony punctuated or egged on the Mass taking place. Everyone was drinking lots of wine from jugs that were passed around; the idea was to get drunk as possible and revel in the blood and sound, and eventually it just built to a point where the boy volunteer sacrifices started shaking in uncontrollable convulsions. By this time- after hours of the overwhelming surges of sound, the stink of the meat and blood- the room had filled a couple of inches deep in blood and offal and everyone was just wallowing in it. Really wonderful! A couple of the assistants, who were pouring the blood and just and just generally executing Nitsch's commands- actually it was the kipper Kids, who'd met Nitsch once in Austria- got carried away and cut the bottom ropes so the blood was flying everywhere. Half the audience was naked by this point and blood-soaked and in a drunken dream state. Eventually the blood was pouring out the door onto the street outside and the police came. It was funny to see them in their neat blue suits amidst the slaughter...I don't really remember too much beyond that, because I was so drunk myself and it was so long ago, but the main thing I took away from the event- besides a stink that I couldn't wash off for weeks- was the sense of being overwhelmed by the blood and sound, the way it slowed down time, and I wanted it to go on forever. In a way it was a really pure religious experience. I think I hosed like a wild beast that night. By the way, there are now a few CDs out of the music from Nitsch's rituals, and I highly recommend them, though naturally they're really hard to find.

Here's the full thing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

On the new vinyl remaster you can really hear Gira's contempt for you, the listener.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i got my Filth reissue in the mail. it's real good & signed by Gira.

wish they were coming around here on this tour :( don't be scared to see them, just bring a good pair of earplugs. i find the wall of sound kinda soothing in a way.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

cf posted:

My favorite part of the new Swans album is when I laugh out loud at a 60 year old man yelling TOO SAWN LOU VEE TOURRR. There are also horse sounds. Who knew they'd break into the comedy game this far into their career.

the part where he squeals out "I'M JUST A LITTLE BOY" made me lol irl. good album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Love Will Save You is real good even though it kinda just feels like Gira trying to do a Nick Cave impression

• Locked thread